Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
538's leading article today is about how far left Biden's plank actually is, and how it's a reflection of a changing party. I don't think Democrats are caught in the Stone Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HelloSailorSign posted:

California's issue is that it's been a one-party state for too long. Interestingly, I think it's a good point of evidence that actually having a viable other party is important, in addition to >2 parties. Of course, if Republican policies weren't awful poo poo tier that'd be grand, but I'd like it if we could split the California Dem party into the moderate Dems and the lefty Dems while not then just handing the Republicans the wins (i.e. tiered voting).

When it comes down to business and money making issues, generally these things are fairly neutral on social topics.

When people whose sole purpose getting into politics is money, connections, and power, they seek where they could find that power.

So, you wind up having the (more lmao) sociopathic politicians making buddies with those who have loads of money. In other states, they'd be Republicans - in California, they're Democrats. The business types wind up being Democrats because they're the ones with resources to win.

The same impact gets applied to party affiliation over time. As the minor party loses ever more interest and actually interesting/"good" people running, people leave the party not because they have changed their minds but because they don't want their designated team to keep losing. A California Democrat encompasses a huge swatch of the overall political windows because being a Republican in California at the state level means you're usually an idiot who will never win (Arnold notwithstanding).

Side note I'm still pissed about De Leon, the supposed left leaner who challenged Feinstein who then just stopped campaigning.

Edit:

lmao San Diego (and SoCal in general)

Eureka's better.

California proves the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" correct. I mean, we see it everywhere one party has poo poo on lockdown, so much so that it was a plot in The Wire once it got into Mayoral politics and such. The "election" was the primary, the "general election" was just a formality with a pre-determined outcome. It makes it so there's no way to do ANYTHING new or challenge the established order in any way or run any sort of an upstart campaign. I had a front row seat to this during my last stint there, and found out pretty quick the Indivisible groups there were NOT the same as they'd been in Austin, which saw minimal interaction with actual DNC flacks. In SoCal, the "team leaders" of the district Indivisibles also were leaders of a DNC astroturf PAC in the area, and ran it from the same office! They didn't even hide it. And worked tirelessly to smash any candidate in the primary that did not have the DNC's blessing. The rot went all the way to municipal boards and zoning boards in the area. The more I dug, the more I found out. Having SOME kind of opposition there to keep someone honest is definitely a good thing.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oregon. I feel like I snuck in just before things got too expensive to bear. Of course that depends on if me or my wife lose our jobs at some point during this crisis and if the first home we bought turns out to be a money pit thanks to an Eastern European money laundering front of a house seller that may have committed a crime in selling us the place.

No matter where you are in the US you're still in the US.

Yow. Yeah lots of Californians end up there too, for sure. Sucks about the house. Oregon does seem to be the only affordable West Coast state at this point not named Alaska, but has the downside of a particularly strident and extra insane right wing contingent that makes things too dodgy for me to ever move there myself. Plus the grey skies 5 months a year, I'd end up hanging myself.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 21, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Manager Hoyden posted:

That's very, very wrong.

The internet is not real life. No one except Very Online Twitter trashfires even know what the alt right is or what an incel is. Those people don't exist in any significant number despite broken brain people seeing them as a boogeyman around every corner.

Middle class young white men and women have always had a large chud cohort, and believe me they're not angry internet people. They're the ones who drive big trucks and SUVs with thin blue line stickers, have three - ayden and - addison kids, and still post on Facebook despite their young age.

They also post 4chan-tier red pill memes and think the exact same heinous poo poo, they are just quieter about it, so let's split the difference?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Clinton actually had a progressive (for the time) policy proposals after taking office, including advocating for universal coverage, advocated strongly by Hillary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_health_care_plan_of_1993

The GOP decided they did not like that, and consequently swept the Democrats out of power in congress in 1994 with the Contract with America and THAT is what caused Clinton (and the Democrats) to pivot right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_with_America

While true, Clinton did campaign through the primaries in 1992 as a “New” (i.e., post-New Deal centrist) Democrat willing to be tough on criminals and keep taxes low, and part of why he won the primaries in 1992 was because he was seen as shedding the image of “tax-and-spend liberal” that Dukakis and Mondale had exemplified. He then doubled down on this centrist-moderate image by selecting Al Gore as his running mate, who was largely seen as a centrist technocrat.

You’re right that he moved to the right even more in 1995 after the shellacking Democrats got in the mid-terms that conventional wisdom saw as a reaction to Democrats actually trying to push the country left; but his progressive policies weren’t really what he ran on in 1992.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/tomtomorrow/status/1263485068103823367

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1263502727658606597

Asking probing questions like "Why should I care?" and "How will this effect Mar A Lago?"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

TulliusCicero posted:

They also post 4chan-tier red pill memes and think the exact same heinous poo poo, they are just quieter about it, so let's split the difference?

I think believing "4chan-tier red pill memes" meaningfully exist in reality, much less the American political landscape, is an indicator of Very Online status.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Blind Pineapple posted:

One thing about their dynamic is that each guy is what the other one truly wants to be (even if there's a lot of smoke and mirrors involved). Vince runs an actually-successful business and is a true cut-throat 80s businessman stereotype in action. Trump is actually a mainstream celebrity and is treated as such by the media. Both are wildly successful for better or worse, but they both want the type of validation the other one gets. They probably admire each other as much as such flagrant narcissists can admire another person.

Wow that's a really good point. I never thought about that. I always thought it was such an interesting character trait that Vince wants to be a well respected businessman, but at the same time just can't help himself from having people kiss his bare rear end on live tv and getting hit in the head with bed pans.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pick posted:

538's leading article today is about how far left Biden's plank actually is, and how it's a reflection of a changing party. I don't think Democrats are caught in the Stone Age.

If Biden actually chose Liz Warren as running mate and they won and then he died the Chapoverse would loving implode with rage, irony, and confusion.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pick posted:

Well gee...I'm convinced.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ok Comboomer posted:

If Biden actually chose Liz Warren as running mate and they won and then he died the Chapoverse would loving implode with rage, irony, and confusion.

i think its gonna either warren or duckworth or harris at this point. i assume we will know in a couple weeks though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1263502727658606597

Asking probing questions like "Why should I care?" and "How will this effect Mar A Lago?"

nah its like how a cat focuses on a laser dot on the floor or wall.

or how messing with videogame npcs andf making them all lock on to a spefic point

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think believing "4chan-tier red pill memes" meaningfully exist in reality, much less the American political landscape, is an indicator of Very Online status.

I am on a forum populated by very not online people and this poo poo most certainly exists in a minor (yet significant) form. You'll see a few who appear to be more tuned in to the original memes but then it leaks into their hangers on.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

My main "source" of these kinds of things is being sent them by rural boomer in-laws.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

VH4Ever posted:

It's one of those states that the corporate wing of the DNC has on complete lockdown, so it's truly insane for anyone who can't afford to own actual property, and afford the costs to maintain and pay taxes on it. All while legacy trusts continue to pay pennies of tax per Prop 13. CA fucks the non-rich pretty hard. And yeah, you can't build poo poo. Nuts.

THere is a partial repeal of Prop 13 on the ballot this year, to end the commercial side of it. We're hopeful it can pass

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Feldegast42 posted:

Well one of the reasons at least

I'd probably say winning 61-17 over Sanders with the black South Carolina voters who made up more than half the electorate(a story repeated across most of the SEC primary states) was the largest reason by far, but now I'm intrigued by the dynamics of a black+segregationist coalition forming the core of the Democratic nominee's base.

This happens occasionally when you don't have sources in the room-- details get jumbled a bit. Trump's returning to earlier theories, and is asking questions focused on fighting the virus with laser probes.

Totally understandable error from the journo side.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grayly Squirrel posted:

edit hold the gently caress up, you're saying that $1 million in donations over more than a decade, for one of the longest serving members of congress, is somehow enough dirty pharma money to refuse to endorse the winning candidate who raises more in an hour? A couple hundred thousand an election cycle is not enough to buy a member of congress. Otherwise the left already would have crowd-sourced themselves a majority by this point.

so basically you agree with Justice John Roberts in Citizens United: Clyburn took a million dollars from big pharma, then did big pharma's bidding, but it would be very rude to infer a connection between those things, so we are honor-bound to ignore it and chalk it up to total coincidence

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Its enough to get you a zoning variance from your City Council person, for sure. But its not enough for a member of congress. Lobbying alone averages low six figures per industry/private interest group And those are the averages that include the back-benchers.

This link is just real-estate. But its a good site, you should page through. https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/summary.php?cycle=2020&ind=F

$1 million over more than a decade is a blip in the overall fundraising for a committee chair.

you would be shocked if you knew at what low figures members of congress have sold their votes

How Much to Buy a Congressional Vote?

quote:

Specifically, the authors looked at Democratic representatives who originally voted in favor of the 2010 Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and then later voted to dismantle key provisions of it.

"Because these are the same representatives, belonging to the same political party, in substantially the same districts, many factors normally advanced to explain vote shifts are ruled out from the start," explained the research team, which was led by Thomas Ferguson, professor of Political Science at the University of Massachusetts in Boston and senior fellow at the Roosevelt Institute.
"The results indicate that for every $100,000 that Democratic representatives received from finance, the odds they would break with their party's majority support for the Dodd-Frank legislation increased by 13.9 percent," the report states. "Democratic representatives who voted in favor of finance often received $200,000 – $300,000 from that sector, which raised the odds of switching by 25–40 percent."

The authors further noted that Democrats who were nearing the end of their House term as well as members of the House Financial Services Committee "were far more likely to support the banks on repealing elements of Dodd-Frank."

Democrats were selling out on signature Democratic legislation that they previously voted for for a third of the amount that you're brushing off as irrelevant. It does not take much, because there's very little punishment for selling votes, especially when it comes to members of congress who are nearing the end of their political careers anyway and therefore have much more to gain by focusing on feathering their own nests rather than worrying about the few future elections they have left.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

While true, Clinton did campaign through the primaries in 1992 as a “New” (i.e., post-New Deal centrist) Democrat willing to be tough on criminals and keep taxes low, and part of why he won the primaries in 1992 was because he was seen as shedding the image of “tax-and-spend liberal” that Dukakis and Mondale had exemplified. He then doubled down on this centrist-moderate image by selecting Al Gore as his running mate, who was largely seen as a centrist technocrat.

It’s so weird how successfully Gore’s been rebranded as a progressive through his climate advocacy. He and his then-wife were among the most right wing of democrats for a while in a lot of ways.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s so weird how successfully Gore’s been rebranded as a progressive through his climate advocacy. He and his then-wife were among the most right wing of democrats for a while in a lot of ways.

Being realistic about climate early is viewed as lot more important than censoring gangster rap

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

California's issue is that it's been a one-party state for too long.

California has only been a one-party state for 9 years.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

nine-gear crow posted:

Also both of them trade on the myth that they’re self-made tycoons when they each inherited their companies from their fathers in the 80s, whom they have both successfully erased from the broader public consciousness.

The other big difference is that Vince at least knows he’s a heel and enjoys it both in and out of kayfabe. Trump still clings to the idea that he’s the hero of his own story.

Well to be fair Vince didn't inherit poo poo. He had to buy the WWWF from Vince Sr. The contract was set up basically almost to make Vince fail. He had to make these insane balloon payments pretty quickly or else he would lose everything. The fact he was able to do succeed is a miracle. Everything after that was Vince breaking long time agreements and destroying a massive and profitable industry for himself.

Vince gets a lot of credit for a lot of things he frankly shouldn't. I think perhaps if he had taken a step back 10 years ago or so that history would be a lot more kind to him than it will be. We are effectively watching all of the bad choices Vince has made over the years start to catch up with him currently.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

THere is a partial repeal of Prop 13 on the ballot this year, to end the commercial side of it. We're hopeful it can pass

No poo poo! Hopefully that passes. When you JUST look into how these giant golf courses right in the middle of super expensive areas of LA like Beverly Hills and etc pay mere pennies on the dollar for their property tax because of bribes to local officials to cook the ownership books and make it seem as if the property is still owned by own group continuously and etc, one sees just with that example how many millions of dollars are simply missing from the local revenue base that ought to be there were it not for corruption and dumbass laws like that one. I hope y'all get it done.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah I mean they were the ones leading the charge for the v-chip in TVs, and labeling music and video games with content ratings and poo poo. I spent most of my childhood hating Tipper Gore for her "think of the children!!" meddling.

Dee Snider of Twisted Sister gave a pretty impassioned speech against such efforts, as did Frank Zappa. Google those for fun.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 21, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Being realistic about climate early is viewed as lot more important than censoring gangster rap

I don’t know if this take is supposed to be snarky or not.

My point is not whether he was right (obviously he was). It’s that he quickly became a “loony leftie” by many people’s standards (Manbearpig, etc) and was essentially memory-holed by the party.

Probably the one-two punch of bush being very popular after the 2000 election despite the fuckery and climate realism being a relatively fringe position at that point.

Gotta remember that this is the era of Leonardo DiCaprio driving a Prius being a big deal.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1263509311646556163

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

trumps been weirdly quiet today. maybe they hid his phone again.

jesus :(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

This dude called 911 to report himself two hours trying to carrying out his plan. Glad he has easy access to "machineguns!"

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah I mean they were the ones leading the charge for the v-chip in TVs, and labeling music and video games with content ratings and poo poo. I spent most of my childhood hating Tipper Gore for her "think of the children!!" meddling.

Dee Snider of Twisted Sister gave a pretty impassioned speech against such efforts, as did Frank Zappa. Google those for fun.

It's amazing how all that poo poo died once the boomers aged out of having kids. Tipper Gore and the like were garbage people.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
General election and primary stuff still goes in the appropriate thread. Stop now.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Djarum posted:

It's amazing how all that poo poo died once the boomers aged out of having kids. Tipper Gore and the like were garbage people.

Yeah I still remember trying to buy an "M" rated game the first time at a Wal-Mart during my tweens and being incensed that I now had to go get my mommy to buy it for me. Like I was old enough to take offense to that, partially because I knew it was pointless in my case because my mom didn't give a gently caress. I had already been watching R rated movies with impunity for years by then. I think it's part of why I ended up a Libertarian early on. It was basically concern trolling writ large as public policy.

fool of sound posted:

General election and primary stuff still goes in the appropriate thread. Stop now.

Which topics currently are running afoul of that? I guess I didn't feel we were currently as hardcore hammering into that topic enough for a post like this? Just seeking clarification.

Like is my making GBS threads on Tipper Gore under this umbrella or no? If so I'll stop.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 21, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fool of sound posted:

Al Gore is running in the general? Inshallah

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

This dude called 911 to report himself two hours trying to carrying out his plan. Glad he has easy access to "machineguns!"

Also, his big plan to break into a Coast Guard base and steal the helicopter was "fruitlessly mash numbers into the access pad at the entrance for a bit, then start screaming for someone to come let him in".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ok Comboomer posted:

Al Gore is running in the general? Inshallah

Yeah, the 2000 general

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VH4Ever posted:

i feel like outside weird parts of twitter and the moral right, that kind of poo poo is mostly dead thank god. also i am fine with the ESRB as a thing. they are better than the movie ratings board by a million times.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Main Paineframe posted:

Also, his big plan to break into a Coast Guard base and steal the helicopter was "fruitlessly mash numbers into the access pad at the entrance for a bit, then start screaming for someone to come let him in".

This sounds like something a bored GTA player would do

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah I still remember trying to buy an "M" rated game the first time at a Wal-Mart and being incensed that I now had to go get my mommy to buy it for me. Like I was old enough to take offense to that, partially because I knew it was pointless in my case because my mom didn't give a gently caress. I had already been watching R rated movies with impunity for years by then. I think it's part of why I ended up a Libertarian early on. It was basically concern trolling writ large as public policy.

Which topics currently are running afoul of that? I guess I didn't feel we were currently as hardcore hammering into that topic enough for a post like this? Just seeking clarification.

Like is my making GBS threads on Tipper Gore under this umbrella or no? If so I'll stop.

yeah same. my mom was very weird about that poo poo but eventually she gave up. plus now you can just order all of this poo poo online now so its pointless.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
*sigh* "no sir, you're not allowed to probe that."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

This sounds like something a bored GTA player would do

yeah but even a sad sick gently caress GTA player(like myself) would plan this poo poo better. reading this poo poo, it sounds like this dude had some serious mental issues.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like outside weird parts of twitter and the moral right, that kind of poo poo is mostly dead thank god. also i am fine with the ESRB as a thing. they are better than the movie ratings board by a million times.

I think it's fair to say the basis of my then-objection has changed completely in the world of Steam. Mostly I just saw immediately how pointless it was if the aim was to stop my mind from being poisoned. If it's neutralized by my getting my mom to stand there and hand them the money for the game instead and I get it anyway, what good is it for its stated goals? That was my view of it. But I recognize, with some age and wisdom, how it gives parents who do care something to go on and now, a means to restrict what kids can buy online and download when they're NOT in the room to review it, etc.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

haveblue posted:

Yeah, the 2000 general

Its amazing how pivotal the 2000 election was in hindsight- more so than 2016.

If Gore wins in 2000 you might avoid 9/11 (because he actually pays attention to the intelligence) which means you avoid Iraq and probably Afghanistan too. You also avoid the 2008 financial collapse and the US stays in Kyoto and we’re doing better (not great but better) with CO2 emissions than we are now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Its amazing how pivotal the 2000 election was in hindsight- more so than 2016.

If Gore wins in 2000 you might avoid 9/11 (because he actually pays attention to the intelligence) which means you avoid Iraq and probably Afghanistan too. You also avoid the 2008 financial collapse and the US stays in Kyoto and we’re doing better (not great but better) with CO2 emissions than we are now

I mean, 2008 financial collapse was coming regardless

the project to give finance as much latitude as they asked for was very much a bipartisan one, as everyone's friends Larry Summers, Timothy Geithner, and Steve Mnuchin can attest