Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i think having them piss directly into my eye would be less insulting than this proposal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I'm letting him play with the 3 other kids his age if they all have their own scooter/tricycles/bicycles (so tend to be separated by zooming around and nothing to share) but nothing past that . But the local parents are grouping up for shared nannies starting June 1 and I feel like we're missing out, especially on the one house with a slide and swingset that we haven't been using. Sooner or later we just need to have kids over inside each other's houses , especially for the fortunate unemployed (me) to help the people still working who can't get anything done (give me money you wealthy dual incomes)

yeah there is a social revolution going on in the suburbs with parents and it’s fun to see us all make up the rules

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Toniob38/status/1263077278294163457

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you can be the Zoom lord and oversee the kids doing school from home in the fall

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Lady Militant posted:

because it would result in the complete destruction of the education system instead of the partial destruction of it

if schools reopen fully and embrace super-spreading then welp

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

you can be the Zoom lord and oversee the kids doing school from home in the fall

At that point they should just you know, go to school. Nothing short of NZ level 4 style restrictions is worth pursuing bc of the high R, you either go full lockdown or full death cult, there's no in between.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
there's enough evidence at this point that you can't get reinfected and that you develop antibodies, so yeah, open it up, gently caress it, get that herd immunity going. half-assing it isn't really doing anyone any favors.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

yeah there is a social revolution going on in the suburbs with parents and it’s fun to see us all make up the rules

Yep. This is Illinois which is the most restrictive state and all the parents of middle and high schoolers just tossed the kids outside months ago to play with each other. The only ones really being kept apart are the 3s and under since they aren't able to stop grabbing each other's stuff and putting it in their mouths

The entire near suburban and urban life is built upon no one having back yards to play in and to go use shared resources like parks, playgrounds and lakes , none of which are open. So you either leave to grandparents who are more exurban/rural, or you give up and let the kids socialize with the parents you know are being safe

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Yep. This is Illinois which is the most restrictive state and all the parents of middle and high schoolers just tossed the kids outside months ago to play with each other. The only ones really being kept apart are the 3s and under since they aren't able to stop grabbing each other's stuff and putting it in their mouths

The entire near suburban and urban life is built upon no one having back yards to play in and to go use shared resources like parks, playgrounds and lakes , none of which are open. So you either leave to grandparents who are more exurban/rural, or you give up and let the kids socialize with the parents you know are being safe

In every other normal successful country you just kept the loving kids inside you moron

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

euphronius posted:

can't wait to do mandatory day one icebreakers in my digital classroom with half my students in attendance

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Jon Irenicus posted:

if schools reopen fully and embrace super-spreading then welp

I'm a university student about 1 year away from graduating. I'm praying my uni caves and keeps everything online until i do graduate because id like my parents to not die and all my old professors i like to not die either

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

there's enough evidence at this point that you can't get reinfected and that you develop antibodies, so yeah, open it up, gently caress it, get that herd immunity going. half-assing it isn't really doing anyone any favors.

It lasts a few months maybe, not long enough to prevent this being an endemic that caps life expectancy in the 60s

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

we literally have no idea how long immunity lasts lmao open it up

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

uncurable mlady posted:

there's some evidence but that will overwhelm everything and the economy will still be completely hosed so this is probably a dumb and bad idea

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

"so uhhh did anyone go anywhere fun this summ...oh wait well did uhhh...everyone have fun with their summer rea-"

*kid hijacks the presentation and starts streaming his minecraft lp channel*

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The economy is already completely hosed, it’s not going to get worse by opening up.

Not going to get better either. We’re either getting UBI or societal breakdown.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

As far as little kids non-uni education goes it's impossible till a vaccine exists in america because:

A. Americas have kids when they are really loving old and more at risk for this virus

B. Those kids will get it and spread it back to their parents at home. And

C. The parents will then spread it to all the also old and vulnerable people they interact with because they primarily hang out with people inside their own old age group

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

shovelbum posted:

It lasts a few months maybe, not long enough to prevent this being an endemic that caps life expectancy in the 60s

/shrug

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The economy is already completely hosed, it’s not going to get worse by opening up.

Not going to get better either. We’re either getting UBI or societal breakdown.

Italy directly proves this is untrue

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

snoo posted:

we literally have no idea how long immunity lasts lmao open it up

It can only kill you once!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

cash crab posted:

welcome to the club idiot

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

shovelbum posted:

no one knows that yet

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It goes endemic, immunity lasts 4 or 5 months, you resign yourself to having two months a year of just covid misery, shortness of breath, endless cough, you still have to go in to work. It's like long commutes, everyone has it. You have your first bad case in your forties, not quite ARDS yet but lasting damage. A few like this and you're on oxygen by fifty, ARDS by 60 an an ICU stay. Can't handle that a second time, dead before retirement.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

It can only kill you once!

we have not yet confirmed the metaphysical consequences of the virus at this time

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
big beautiful spreading centers opened wide, the best spreading in the world, some say in the universe, but definitely in the world

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

what's the immunity like on other coronaviruses?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

we've been two weeks away from complete social collapse for the past three months according to the c-spam brain trust. let's get some covid parties going.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

can't wait to do mandatory day one icebreakers in my digital classroom with half my students in attendance

my wife has a trimester class and had to do this in April lmao

it was really wierd

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

snoo posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2851497/
2 years for SARS looks like, but we know covid-19 is significantly different so :shrug:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

snoo posted:

6 months to a year, maybe 2 max if you have a bigly like 1 in 10 immune system

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

you guys are forgetting about memory b cells. long-lived plasma cell neutralizing antibodies are always short to medium term. that sars study didn't challenge the host to see what the memory b cells would do.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6562360/

Neutralizing antibody responses play a critical role in anti-viral immunity–controlling and preventing infection, and are an important aim of vaccination. During initial infection, naïve host B-cells, specific to the infecting antigen, proliferate and differentiate into short-lived plasmablasts that secrete antibodies at a high rate to combat the existing infection. Following viral clearance, two distinct layers of humoral immunity remain to protect against repeat infection with the same antigen—antibodies in the sera, constitutively produced by long lived plasma cells (LLPCs) and memory B-cells (MBC) primed to expand and secrete antibodies upon antigen re-exposure.

LLPCs, are terminally differentiated, non-dividing cells that reside in the bone marrow and produce antibodies for years to decades (1–3) providing protection against repeat infections with the same antigen (4, 5). These antibodies are typically assessed by in vitro neutralization and binding assays, and in many cases regarded as correlates of protection against viral pathogens (6).

MBCs make up the second line of antibody-mediated defense, providing protection by rapidly activating, proliferating and secreting antibodies in response to cognate antigen. Once regarded as a backup to LLPC-derived antibodies, the specificity and breadth of potential MBC responses are increasingly appreciated, especially with regard to protection against heterogeneous but antigenically related viral pathogens, such as influenza, different serotypes of DENV, and viral escape mutants (5, 7).

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Would groups of people each having different 6mo-2y immunties be enough for the whole population to get some kind of herd immunity? Virus can hardly spread if there aren't enough febrile hosts to go around?

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
If schools open up without a widespread, cheap to patients, and above all accurate test for Kawasaki Disease or those at risk, then schools should not open.

Despite schools closing down entirely we have seen a pretty sizable explosion of these cases, opening them up everywhere and it'll be catastrophic.

pigz has issued a correction as of 17:28 on May 21, 2020

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

shovelbum posted:

It goes endemic, immunity lasts 4 or 5 months, you resign yourself to having two months a year of just covid misery, shortness of breath, endless cough, you still have to go in to work. It's like long commutes, everyone has it. You have your first bad case in your forties, not quite ARDS yet but lasting damage. A few like this and you're on oxygen by fifty, ARDS by 60 an an ICU stay. Can't handle that a second time, dead before retirement.

It is more likely that if it becomes endemic it will become less lethal every year because immunity is not an on/off situation, but rather a sliding scale. source: Podcast of the Head of Coronavirus research in Berlin university a while ago.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Lady Militant posted:

Italy directly proves this is untrue

The US is kind of unique here.

- We never did a national shutdown. There are real hurdles to ever doing one enshrined in the way our country works.

- We don't have a robust social safety net.

- US consumption drives global consumption.

The most important being the first two. If the United States could have shut down our economy for 6 weeks and gone to truly essential only services, we would have avoided our reality and our future. But the reality is that our aristocracy is, to a one, guided by Ricardian Liberalism.

There will be no major intervention into the economy of the US until the system breaks to such a point that there is no other alternative or hope. What we've done so far is purely on the monetary side of things, when what we really will need is some way to soak up 40-60 million unemployed people, give them something to do, and reorient our society around stochastic lockdowns when regional clusters flare up.

Liberals cannot do this. It doesn't matter how obvious it seems or how straightforward the process is. Our ruling class is ideologically incapable of resolving this crisis. So the crisis will continue to deepen until that changes (either the ideology or who makes up the ruling class).

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Would groups of people each having different 6mo-2y immunties be enough for the whole population to get some kind of herd immunity? Virus can hardly spread if there aren't enough febrile hosts to go around?

It suppresses the max but everyone still rotates through having it. That's what I'm most worried about, that it becomes this huge economic drain like all the bad endemic diseases were in the 20th C, reducing that disease burden is one of the few bright spots of this century and we're gonna just replace it all with a new one lmao.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

snoo posted:

40 MILLION PEOPLE

WHERE'S OUR loving MONEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz8BvaQL9Q

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

uncurable mlady posted:

we've been two weeks away from complete social collapse for the past three months according to the c-spam brain trust. let's get some covid parties going.

I never put at timeline on it and you'd have to be real loving dumb to try to do so.

The gravity of the shocks to the our economy are far beyond anything we've seen before, but it still takes time for poo poo to break down. We're less than 3 months into this crisis; to compare, it took over a year for the Great Depression to really get going, and the Great Recession didn't hit its nadir for almost 3 years.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

pigz posted:

If schools open up without a widespread, cheap to patients, and above all accurate test for Kawasaki Disease or those at risk, then schools should not open.

Despite schools closing down entirely we have seen a pretty sizable explosion of these cases, opening them up everywhere and it'll be catastrophic.

my wife's teaching year ends today

don't know what we'll do in August if she's back to in-person classes but the disease is still widespread (lol this is 100% certain) and there are still all sorts of hosed up consequences for children. Daycares are disease factories in the best of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1263502727658606597