Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Remember, the last time Patrick Stewart had script control on a screen project, we got Insurrection.

I think we're past the point that we should think that he has good ideas about the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Forget about sexuality for a moment. I question the judgment of any person who looks at Rios and goes "Yes, this is a good idea for a romance."

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I just hope that at least Goldsman and Kurtzman aren't sexual abusers like the old Trek cohort producers were.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Maybe if Jurati didn't have like permanent broken bird and cult eyes syndrome I'd have liked her. The part where she said make is so I groaned for a solid 10 seconds.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Man, you guys are sour. I liked the whole cast, I thought she had a solid performance threading the needle between quirky and traumatized.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

She'll never be the "head" of a major corporation

What with the murder charges and all

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arglebargle III posted:

Forget about sexuality for a moment. I question the judgment of any person who looks at Rios and goes "Yes, this is a good idea for a romance."

But damaged goods hidden in a gorgeous package are very tempting.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do actually give respect to the show for the fact that the 'Secret that breaks people's minds' actually did turn out to literally be a secret that breaks people's minds and not just the star trek equivalent of 'Bernie lost because he doesn't actually have broad appeal'.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Brawnfire posted:

Nothing was important :(

Hey now, without Picard's involvement like 40 people (?) would have died and Hugh, several Romulan refugees, everyone in Vajazzle's bar and thousands of Borg would have lived.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Hey now, without Picard's involvement like 40 people (?) would have died and Hugh, several Romulan refugees, everyone in Vajazzle's bar and thousands of Borg would have lived.
I just remembered that we see all of these Federation scientists on the Borg Cube but they just magically aren't on it when everything goes to poo poo

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Arglebargle III posted:

Romance? More like "oh, I guess these two are loving now. Okay."

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just remembered that we see all of these Federation scientists on the Borg Cube but they just magically aren't on it when everything goes to poo poo

Oh, huh, yeah, I'd never thought about that aspect before

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Once Gold Soji gets killed, Soji totally takes over the "kill all life" plan for like 15 minutes.

Nobody holds her responsible for this later just like no one really holds Allison Pill's character responsible for killing Bruce Maddox.

Gold Soji isn't killed, Soong just turns her off. You know, after the show spent a whole season establishing that androids are like people and deserve to be treated as such and not like a device you can turn on and off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

galenanorth posted:

Oh, huh, yeah, I'd never thought about that aspect before
That entire part in Episode 2 where Soji meets that other girl, you see all of the scientists, and it's implied that there are parts of the Borg cube that are still actively hostile feel like they are from a totally different show. None of that gets followed up on.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It really felt like the show got 'smaller' as it went along - it started off feeling like quite a fleshed-out world and it was all gone by the time they actually got to the Cube.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Man, you guys are sour. I liked the whole cast, I thought she had a solid performance threading the needle between quirky and traumatized.

I liked the cast too, it's the writing that soured me, especially this bit:

Thom12255 posted:

It really felt like the show got 'smaller' as it went along - it started off feeling like quite a fleshed-out world and it was all gone by the time they actually got to the Cube.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I genuinely thought the cast was great with what they had.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I thought they did a good job with casting, but Raffi and Elnor got some of the worst material on the show and I feel for them. Even with that, Raffi's actor was super into the little backstory she had and really cared about it in her Behind the Scenes interview with Wheaton. I don't like it when actors get all the poo poo when it's really the writers fault.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Alison Pill is never bad and the poo poo eating grin moment was great even though it made no sense

I think they don't realize that people don't care if it's nonsense, TOS was loving bananas, as long as it's good and not... this poo poo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Michelle Hurd is on Punisher and was good in that. Allison Pill was in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World so has bragging rights p much for all time.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 22, 2020

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

precision posted:

I think they don't realize that people don't care if it's nonsense, TOS was loving bananas, as long as it's good and not... this poo poo

This right here. Completely off the hook is just fine, if it actually feels like Star Trek.

E: Like, for this very reason, TFF is better than any nutrek, and TFF sucked (comparatively).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

Allison Pill was in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World so has bragging rights p much for all time.

Everyone in that movie nailed their role but especially her

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I normally completely ignore Youtube comments but this one from the Plinkett review:

quote:

They literally just stole the plot of Mass Effect beat for beat, right down to the dead hero being copied into a mechanical body.

Does that happen in Mass Effect? Did they really just rip off everything from Mass Effect? Please tell me that isn't in Mass Effect.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

I normally completely ignore Youtube comments but this one from the Plinkett review:

Does that happen in Mass Effect? Did they really just rip off everything from Mass Effect? Please tell me that isn't in Mass Effect.

It's not a mechanical body. The main character dies in the beginning of the second one, and a shadowy organization gets the body and shoots it full of blue resurrection juice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Animal-Mother posted:

Eh kind of, it’s more like you get smashed into hamburger at the start of the second game and the space fascists rebuild you as robocop. I doubt ME had anything to do with the decision not to kill off the shows title character and raison d’etre

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Animal-Mother posted:

Shepard dies at the beginning of ME2 and the reason why you work with the terrorist organization Cerberus is that they rebuild you after the intro. You're essentially a cyborg more than a robot.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

You have to understand that anybody saying things like "Picard stole from Mass Effect beat for beat" has absolutely never in their life played Mass Effect.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The basic problem with nu trek seems to be that a ton of talented actors and artists are willing to sign up for a big budget tentpole studio drama written and produced by the same group of J.J. Abrams' less-successful friends.

Hopefully after Rise of Skywalker his reputation in Hollywood will be somewhat punctured.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Seemlar posted:

You have to understand that anybody saying things like "Picard stole from Mass Effect beat for beat" has absolutely never in their life played Mass Effect.

Can you elaborate for those who have never in their life played Mass Effect?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Can someone give me a plot synopsis of Picard because I'm watching reviews of it and what the flying gently caress

ACTING CAPTAIN WILL RIKER

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Right up until she killed her lover and used a potentially suicidal method to burn out a tracking chip.

Unlike the Evil Ladies, she wasn't warned or prepared for how dangerous or potentially damaging the infodump would be. Also, Romulans have more mental/pyschic capacity than humans.

I'm Space Lawyering here not excusing bad writing, I think the whole Maddox thing was a baffling misstep and a waste of a character.

If only there was a show who could deal with such questions because it is actually an interesting topic, where does personal responsibility/"individuality" start or end with all those "mind altering" events that happen in ST.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Can you elaborate for those who have never in their life played Mass Effect?

The inciting incident for the plot of Mass Effect is an ancient alien psychic beacon that inflicts traumatic visions of mechanical god-beings wiping out all organic life in the galaxy, complete with dodgy stock imagery.

The ancient mechanical god-beings enter the galaxy through gateways and are shaped like crustaceans, NOT cephalopods COPYRIGHT CBS DO NOT STEAL.

Synthetic life forms really are banned by galactic treaty, and the heroes eventually reconcile a race of rebellious androids with their creators.

It's more of a constellation of themes and plot points than a Force Awakens beat-by-beat retelling. (By the way the idea of an eight-sun star system left behind as a colossal monument is lifted directly from The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke.)

Anyway the Mass Effect franchise is a great pastiche of classic 60s and 70s space opera and deserves a whirl despite its disappointing third act. (EA acquired the studio early in development of the second installment and by the third had cut timelines and budgets enough that many of Bioware's talent had left for greener pastures.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 22, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Picard Season 2 spoilers: a random person joins an expidition to a new galaxy then gets promoted to leadership through nepotism. The plot is uninspiring, the worlds are sterile and boring and it's received so badly it kills the franchise.

Picard is mentioned in passing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Picard Season 2 spoilers: a random person joins an expidition to a new galaxy then gets promoted to leadership through nepotism. The plot is uninspiring, the worlds are sterile and boring and it's received so badly it kills the franchise.

Also everybody's facial movements are all hosed up

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

precision posted:

Everyone in that movie nailed their role but especially her

It's so funny that watching years later it's this crazy crossover event. Captain Marvel is dating Superman, who is arrested by The Punisher and Nero's lieutenant from Trek 2009 using nothing but finger guns. And Captain America plays Tony Hawke so hard he explodes.

And Michael Cera is inexplicably ripped.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Supposedly a Mass Effect game is in development, what is dead may never die.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DrNutt posted:

Supposedly a Mass Effect game is in development, what is dead may never die.

I thought Andromeda was widely reviled and failed to meet any of their sales expectations?

It’s hard to overstate how loving dull Andromeda was, and I say that as a huge ME fan who genuinely liked the endings in ME3. I didn’t even bother finishing Andromeda, there just wasn’t a point.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought Andromeda was widely reviled and failed to meet any of their sales expectations?

It’s hard to overstate how loving dull Andromeda was, and I say that as a huge ME fan who genuinely liked the endings in ME3. I didn’t even bother finishing Andromeda, there just wasn’t a point.

That is true, nonetheless there are rumors of a Mass Effect game in development right now. Given that they shitcanned any more Andromeda DLC I'm going to guess they're going back to the drawing board and doing a reboot, a prequel, or just picking a canon ending and saying "gently caress it." I'll be honest despite Bioware's lackluster recent history, all they'd have to do to get me back on board would be a ten second trailer with the old Mass Effect theme and some kind of voice over (maybe Mark Meet/Jennifer Hale) saying "you thought I was dead? You should know better by now."

And no, your first sentence is entirely correct. But I do think they're probably more willing to go back to that well after Anthem was another massive bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I will add if anyone is thinking about playing the Mass Effect series after watching ME: Picard that Mass Effect 2 is legitimately one of the best games of the last 20 years.