Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/sgm88gp.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have so many questions. Is that man and his equipment seriously lighter than a bucket of concrete? The bags of quickcrete I’m used to only weigh 80lbs.

What is his plan to get back up?

Does he not realize he’s just sawing through that already frayed rope?

:wtc:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's a nice big frayed spot at the 9 second mark.

Really impressive.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have so many questions. Is that man and his equipment seriously lighter than a bucket of concrete? The bags of quickcrete I’m used to only weigh 80lbs.

That doesn't look like quickcrete. I dunno what it is,but that greenish color looks like something. It could also be that he put something heavier in the bucket with his mix.

Plus, that's not a climb rope (usually rated up to 5k lbs and some go up to 20k lbs with a steel mesh core). That's a loving bull line, with no steel core and at best rates up to 1k lbs brand spanking new out of the box.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I would never get in a tree with a frayed line or exposed core on a rope, but I sure as hell would not get on anything if the only thing we had was a bull line. Gravity's a bitch.

Literally the only thing we use a bull line for is roping a tree over, and if they're frayed like that, they're cut up and relegated to truck tiedowns.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 21, 2020

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

A White Guy posted:

That doesn't look like quickcrete. I dunno what it is,but that greenish color looks like something.

It's green because of light reflection from the bush

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The bucket doesn't have to weigh as much as him because of leverage, but that literally seems to be as far as he thought.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Load bearing flower bed.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

FCKGW posted:

This is a really dumb post

maybe by your standards but im different

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cross post from the TFR deals thread :

Trillhouse posted:

Walker XCEL Digital Headset - $74.54 $13.43

Black
Orange

Almost certainly a pricing error. Get it while it lasts.

The orange ones have a higher noise reduction rating and are about twice as much as the black ones normally, so a better absolute deal. We’ve got a dude who grabbed a pair for his work crew that apparently hits metal with sledges on the regular which made me think of this thread.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cross post from the TFR deals thread :

The orange ones have a higher noise reduction rating and are about twice as much as the black ones normally, so a better absolute deal. We’ve got a dude who grabbed a pair for his work crew that apparently hits metal with sledges on the regular which made me think of this thread.

Thanks, just ordered. Haven't been shooting in two years, but always wished I had a digital set of ears.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Call me old fashioned but all the digital stuff just seems like it's asking for trouble. You're supposed to be wearing plugs too anyway.

But I'm pretty sure you can't get muffs from Harbor Freight for $15 these days so why not consume. I got a couple so my wife's covered too if we ever make good on going back to the range or buying a pressure washer.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Tried to order but it went to almost $60 when put in the cart.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
is there a registry i can put myself on so no one in the tri-county area will rent me a pressure washer? i recovered some repressed memories from my youth and i now realize i cannot be trusted with such... Mighty forces...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zedprime posted:

Call me old fashioned but all the digital stuff just seems like it's asking for trouble. You're supposed to be wearing plugs too anyway.

I dunno what the noses at a work site are like but the best practice is to double up with muffs and plugs when shooting. The good part is that the audio amplification part makes it so you can hear conversations through the plugs but cuts when any noise (like a gunshot) goes above the dB cutoff. Works quite well. It lets you be protected as gently caress when you need to be while keeping situational awareness and not being stone cold deaf to your surroundings.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Speaking of OSHA: Today marks the anniversary of Louis Slotin's Criticality Incident with Rufus AKA the Demon Core

By the time Slotin got his hands on the Demon Core, it had already claimed the life of Physicist Haroutune "Harry" Krikor Daghlian, Jr. under similar circumstances, and Enrico Fermi had predicted that if they continued to do criticality experiments this way they'd be dead within the year.

Louis was suppose to keep a shims between the two reflector halves to prevent accidental criticality, but Slotin was a bit of a daredevil and had become comfortable doing the procedure, having done it 12 times prior. He was demonstrating the method to physicist Alvin C Graves, using a standard flathead to lower and raise the halves shimmed in between the reflector sphere halves when it slipped, causing a flash of blue light and a burning sensation. Slotin managed to slap the sphere half off, ensuring the criticality would not reoccur, but by that time he'd received 1,000 rads or 10 greys, a lethal dose. His body has shielded others in the room, but Graves still took a 166 rad or 16 grey dose.

Its very OSHA, because after Daghlian's death under the same circumstances, there had actually been a unofficial prohibition against conducting the criticality experiments in this manor, but Slotin chose to anyways.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 21, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I dunno what the noses at a work site are like but the best practice is to double up with muffs and plugs when shooting. The good part is that the audio amplification part makes it so you can hear conversations through the plugs but cuts when any noise (like a gunshot) goes above the dB cutoff. Works quite well. It lets you be protected as gently caress when you need to be while keeping situational awareness and not being stone cold deaf to your surroundings.

I wore my buddy's extra pair once when we were shooting at his range and it was awesome to be able to talk when we were reloading and whatnot without having to take them off and then remembering you forgot to put them back on until the next round is fired.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Speaking of ear plugs, get yourself a set of Etymotic reusable plugs. They're much easier to use than foam plugs, and they sound so much better than the muffling you get from foam.

IDC about referrals or anything, but here's an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER20-Plugs-Standard/dp/B07QSW3BF8/

Mine just game in today to replace an old set that I've been using for a few years. I finally lost one of them on my last work trip, but that's OK since they were overdue to be replaced anyways. I wear them to concerts as well as job sites.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Speaking of OSHA: Today marks the anniversary of Louis Slotin's Criticality Incident with Rufus AKA the Demon Core

By the time Slotin got his hands on the Demon Core, it had already claimed the life of Physicist Haroutune "Harry" Krikor Daghlian, Jr. under similar circumstances, and Enrico Fermi had predicted that if they continued to do criticality experiments this way they'd be dead within the year.

Louis was suppose to keep a shims between the two reflector halves to prevent accidental criticality, but Slotin was a bit of a daredevil and had become comfortable doing the procedure, having done it 12 times prior. He was demonstrating the method to physicist Alvin C Graves, using a standard flathead to lower and raise the halves shimmed in between the reflector sphere halves when it slipped, causing a flash of blue light and a burning sensation. Slotin managed to slap the sphere half off, ensuring the criticality would not reoccur, but by that time he'd received 1,000 rads or 10 greys, a lethal dose. His body has shielded others in the room, but Graves still took a 166 rad or 16 grey dose.

Its very OSHA, because after Daghlian's death under the same circumstances, there had actually been a unofficial prohibition against conducting the criticality experiments in this manor, but Slotin chose to anyways.

Obligatory (?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZIjbX1gj88

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Very. Shared that in the nuclear thread.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

The bucket doesn't have to weigh as much as him because of leverage, but that literally seems to be as far as he thought.

There's no leverage here, though. Without friction, the bucket would have to weigh more than him + his equipment for him not to go falling. Friction is probably very strong in this case, but that's obviously not what you want to rely on. Stronger friction is also going to result in more fraying.

EDIT: Here's how you get actual leverage. Hopefully there's another level to secure ropes to, otherwise you'll have to get clever with mounting points.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 21, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CommieGIR posted:

nuclear thread.

link?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916500

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Just finished my JLG Intensive Lift re-certification over Zoom, which is weird because we don't know when we'll be allowed to actually take the practical exam on actual lifts. Now I get to sit through OSHA 10 all next week to re-certify. For work that I don't think I'll have until at least the fall, maybe winter, or maybe next year. It's good for 3 years, so there's that, and I guess it's better to do it from home in my underwear and a t-shirt than to have to drive to the nearest place to sit in a classroom everyday for a week. My local is paying for it, so I guess I can't complain. It's almost like working again.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I see this fella found a new job:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

fun new truck vs. bridge video. this one's neat because it's a dump truck with the bed up, a tunnel under an airport runway, and the driver kept driving after the cab separated. Video in the article: https://fox6now.com/2020/05/21/truck-went-by-me-and-then-bam-dump-truck-with-bed-in-the-air-strikes-bridge/

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I spent twenty minutes crafting an exquisite double patty cheeseburger last night and I dropped it as I was sitting down to eat, spilling the contents everywhere and getting rug/cat hair all stuck in the cheese.

This picture captures exactly how my soul felt in that moment.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

PinheadSlim posted:

I spent twenty minutes crafting an exquisite double patty cheeseburger last night and I dropped it as I was sitting down to eat, spilling the contents everywhere and getting rug/cat hair all stuck in the cheese.

This picture captures exactly how my soul felt in that moment.

Friend of mine dropped a plate like that when I was living with him and started crying, which he never does. Made him a new plate up :) Funny the things that really upset people, pretty sure he wouldn't cry if he got shot.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://twitter.com/igaigaadjmadjml/status/1263465798367981568?s=19

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

More effort than the US puts into anything for pedestrians.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Japanese version of 11'8" doesn't gently caress around.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Speaking of

https://i.imgur.com/BSYUmIp.mp4

Has sound. Really nice touch with traffic still going over the top of the who-knows-how-compromised bridge.

From the comments, the convoy had permits to drive across West Tennessee from Arkansas, but not to drive across Central Tennessee. So they had no business being there, but thought "meh it'll be fine"

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 22, 2020

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Wow that bridge joist is hosed.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Memento posted:

Speaking of

bridgetruck

Kept waiting for the inevitable "inattentive and dangerous driver doing 100 MPH tries to take the shoulder to avoid the traffic stoppage, killing everyone", but it luckily didn't happen.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Who knows how much the float weighs, but the water cart on the back is a CAT 773E, 40,000kg unloaded. So at highway speeds, that's a hell of a lot of momentum. Astute observers will notice that they made it most of the way through the bridge before coming to a stop.

It doesn't look like there's concrete everywhere though, so maybe that bridge is just lower at one side? Still. S'hosed.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Wow that bridge joist is hosed.
gently caress, they just wanted a sunken bathtub for the ladies.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Memento posted:

Who knows how much the float weighs, but the water cart on the back is a CAT 773E, 40,000kg unloaded. So at highway speeds, that's a hell of a lot of momentum. Astute observers will notice that they made it most of the way through the bridge before coming to a stop.

It doesn't look like there's concrete everywhere though, so maybe that bridge is just lower at one side? Still. S'hosed.

From looking hard at the shadows, the previous joists seem to still be straight so it looks to me like it must have just caught the edge of that last one by pure bad luck or a bump in the road.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

SLOSifl posted:

gently caress, they just wanted a sunken bathtub for the ladies :females:.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Memento posted:

Really nice touch with traffic still going over the top of the who-knows-how-compromised bridge.

Load-bearing dump truck.

edit: goddammit dump trucks are already load-bearing on a regular basis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well water cart, but yes. You can get sixty cubic metres of water on the back of one of those.

I saw a state-wide alert last year where a Tatra water cart lost one of its double wheel assemblies while driving along the ramp near the top of an open pit gold mine. The wheels came apart; one rolled into the windrow at the side of the ramp and stopped. The other one rolled over the edge of the ramp and fell ~150m into the pit and landed in a pool of insanely toxic water; I assume it's still there.

The pit had a bunch of trucks, dozers and LVs in it when that happened, and the wheel missed them all by pure luck.