Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

No clapping here tonight except the old harridan at the end of the street watching for those who were outside and not clapping.

We had fireworks last week and they're the one thing I would be glad to see banned as much of an anti fun person that makes me. They terrorised one of my dogs right through her life, poor bugger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

happyhippy posted:

They should be Blizzard rich a decade or two ago if they weren't so paranoid of computer games stealing their precious metal model selling.

Didn't Blizz allegedly approach them initially to make WoW with the warhams IP? I know they were very late to that party and failed. Still, Total War: Warhams is doing pretty well.

Really though if they'd milked their IP they could've done the marvel cinematic universe before marvel did (and better).

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My street hasn't clapped once. It's full of migrant run takeaways and every day the italians, Spaniards, and Turks who work next to one another keep the doors wide open and blast europop while they have loud conversations, it's great. Reminds me of where I came from.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

winegums posted:

Didn't Blizz allegedly approach them initially to make WoW with the warhams IP? I know they were very late to that party and failed. Still, Total War: Warhams is doing pretty well.

Really though if they'd milked their IP they could've done the marvel cinematic universe before marvel did (and better).

I don’t know if it was ever confirmed, the story is that Warcraft and Starcraft were licensed games until GW pulled out and blizz put a new coat of paint over them and put them out.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jose posted:

in case anyone had any hopes about biden beating trump he's picked the least inspiring democrat primary candidate who as someone who actually followed them the only thing i remember is she was physically abusive to staff if they forgot to get a fork with her salad

Alternatively, a new national poll's just come out which gives him an 11-point lead over Trump in a head-to-head. Which is far from an excuse to put the champagne on ice (Clinton showed similar national polling leads at times in 2016 and still lost in the electoral college), but it's a very good point to be starting from. Biden's also performing strongly in the limited state-level polling that's been done since he emerged as the clear front-runner; he's showing with leads over the margin of error in Florida, Arizona, Michigan and Pennsylvania, all of which Trump won narrowly in 2016.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Trin Tragula posted:

Alternatively, a new national poll's just come out which gives him an 11-point lead over Trump in a head-to-head. Which is far from an excuse to put the champagne on ice (Clinton showed similar national polling leads at times in 2016 and still lost in the electoral college), but it's a very good point to be starting from. Biden's also performing strongly in the limited state-level polling that's been done since he emerged as the clear front-runner; he's showing with leads over the margin of error in Florida, Arizona, Michigan and Pennsylvania, all of which Trump won narrowly in 2016.

He is, however, doing dogshit among independents and swing voters, which is what he's basing his entire campaign on winning.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Trin Tragula posted:

When he slurs his way through the debates as trump calls him out on all his corruption that he's too senile to respond to his campaign is sunk

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Sleepy Joe will not pull out young people in anything approaching important numbers. He's also just an establishment choice who even if he won will just promote the same neoliberalism that has put America where it is.

Essentially the US is one election cycle ahead of us.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sleepytime Bear is going to get Mondale'd. He's even openly telling people not to vote for him.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ro5s posted:

I don’t know if it was ever confirmed, the story is that Warcraft and Starcraft were licensed games until GW pulled out and blizz put a new coat of paint over them and put them out.

SC was definitely originally made as a licensed 40K game, that's why the humans have power armor and the zerg are just 'nids.

GW spent a very, very long time tripping over their own dicks by doing things like that, but in the past few years they've finally eased up and as a result, their settings (Which are among the most perfect for videos game ever invented) now have a number of actually good to great games; Total Warhams, Mechanicus, Battlefleet Gothic Armada, Vermintide, Blood Bowl, and more. A far cry from when you could choose from Space Hulk: VotBA and Shadow of the Horned Rat/Dark Omen.

e; Sniffin' Joe is going to get completely bodied, and even if he does somehow eke out a win it's going to be on the back of the most desultory support ever and the party will be fractured and paralyzed, letting the next GOP fascist win massively in 2024.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Joe Biden is known in the UK for two things:

1: being Obama's invisible VP
2: plagiarising a Neil Kinnock speech

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Red Oktober posted:

Man, Gillian Anderson’s performance in A Streetcar Named Desire is so uncomfortably good. It’s streaming for free for a week from today on the NTLive YouTube. Go watch it.

YEah its good, better almost than the Marge Simpson/Ned Flanders production.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Quite loud claps last night, I assume because they all forgot last week and were feeling guilty.

Someone has told trumpet player to gently caress off because they have gone from playing every single evening at 8 pm to not at all for a week now.

And finally, I can only imagine someone else's clock was off by an hour-and-a-half because we got a solid 5 minutes of fireworks at 9:30 pm.

P.S. I went to the shop during the day to get essential supplies and nobody gave a gently caress about social distancing, and the shopkeep, usually very good about telling people off for being poo poo, looked to have thrown the towel in.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

winegums posted:

Sleepy Joe will not pull out young people in anything approaching important numbers. He's also just an establishment choice who even if he won will just promote the same neoliberalism that has put America where it is.

Essentially the US is one election cycle ahead of us.

This is the main thing. Whoever wins the US loses, nothing will change except the rich will get richer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Biden may appoint slightly less lovely Supreme Court justices, but given the naked corruption of the House during Obama's compromise appointment I'm not even sure of that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, while we have the same political pressures from the media the US does, at least the last few years have shown our parliament is not as corrupt as the US system - we have the same problem a lot of the world has that our left is fractured into several small parties unwilling to cooperate with each other, and a strong united right.

FPTP then ensures though 60% voted against Johnson, he still wins.

That's my only real hope with Starmer is that he's right enough that the Lib dems and others will be willing to make more deals with him, allowing a labour lead hung parliament.

Then Corbyn rips off the mask and reveals it was him all along.

The latter is about as realistic as the former TBH.....

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The Lib Dems will never collaborate with a Labour that will lead in a meaningfully different way from the Tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The lib dems have a number of seats so small that you need to read a bunch of books by Richard K. Guy (who also died this year :rip:) to calculate them.

Whether the SNP will cooperate in exchange for Scottish Issues is more relevant than the party of Interim Leader Ed Davey.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Flipswitch posted:

No clapping here tonight except the old harridan at the end of the street watching for those who were outside and not clapping.

We had fireworks last week and they're the one thing I would be glad to see banned as much of an anti fun person that makes me. They terrorised one of my dogs right through her life, poor bugger.

Nextdoor is a garbage fire of curtain twitching mediocrity, but I've hope for my neighbourhood because someone posted 'not as much NHS clapping this week :|' and every single reply was 'yes because it's an empty loving gesture, pay them more through increased taxes'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Tabby_Kinder/status/1263363887270891520

Just brazenly funnelling money to Tory donors.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN22X2WA

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has instructed civil servants to make plans to end UK's reliance on China for vital medical supplies and other strategic imports in light of the coronavirus outbreak, The Times newspaper reported on Friday bit.ly/2AIukv1.

The plans, which have been code named ‘Project Defend’, include identifying Britain’s main economic vulnerabilities to potentially hostile foreign governments as part of a broader new approach to national security, the newspaper reported, adding that the efforts are being led by Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jippa posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN22X2WA

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has instructed civil servants to make plans to end UK's reliance on China for vital medical supplies and other strategic imports in light of the coronavirus outbreak, The Times newspaper reported on Friday bit.ly/2AIukv1.

The plans, which have been code named ‘Project Defend’, include identifying Britain’s main economic vulnerabilities to potentially hostile foreign governments as part of a broader new approach to national security, the newspaper reported, adding that the efforts are being led by Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab.

So nothing from the EU, nothing from China, how many other markets does the UK cut itself off from?
If Trump gets in again, one wrong word and he'll cut off the US.
It would be good if UK could expand its manufacturing base for lots of reasons - jobs, self-reliance etc - but that takes years to develop and won't happen when the tories' principal aim is to find ways of shovelling taxpayers' money into their own or their cronies' pockets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only someone had suggested some sort of national industry for producing medical supplies.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'm johnny knoxville and this is ventilator challenge

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Isn't this coming at the stage when the medical profession has said that what we need isn't more ventilators but more oxygen generators?

China's got that market pretty much in the bag, they're about £150 for a not especially medical grade one that will still keep someone alive. Very interested in how the UK will beat that by funneling public money to Tory donors with industry experience in 'having houses' and 'vacuum cleaner'.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Biden may appoint slightly less lovely Supreme Court justices, but given the naked corruption of the House during Obama's compromise appointment I'm not even sure of that.

The battleground in the 2020 US elections is not the White House, it's the Senate.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

thespaceinvader posted:

The Lib Dems will never collaborate with a Labour that will lead in a meaningfully different way from the Tories.

Yeah, but I can dream can't I?

OwlFancier posted:

If only someone had suggested some sort of national industry for producing medical supplies.

Yes, but this will be a state funded, for profit organisation! Think of how much MORE cash can be shovelled into private pockets under the banner of "increased NHS funding"

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/cyclist_rob/status/1263370355919519744

Hilariously the government is just straight up paying the Guardian to run propaganda articles.

Another waste of taxpayer money when a) they could run the same content in the Torygraph, BBC or Times for free just by 'leaking' it to them and b) nobody reads the Guardian. Please hire me to streamline the governments PR budget.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Grey Hunter posted:

Then Corbyn rips off the mask and reveals it was him all along.

"and I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling libs!"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Sleepy Joe is probably going to announce Robert Kennedy or Corn Pop as his running mate. Given his very obvious rate of mental decline and that Trump is boasting about poisoning himself it's possible it could be a very different election in November

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

crispix posted:

Sleepy Joe is probably going to announce Robert Kennedy or Corn Pop as his running mate. Given his very obvious rate of mental decline and that Trump is boasting about poisoning himself it's possible it could be a very different election in November

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Labour councillors all being like this oval office is a real issue

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1263765602797326336?s=19

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

crispix posted:

Essentially the only things we know about Trump's inner circle at any given time is that they have no qualms about lying to him and are unwilling to murder him. There's no way any of those lizards are actually giving him the lethal meds.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/21/nhs-doctor-enough-people-clapping

A pretty good summary of why the clapping is terrible

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1263751586335133697?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/PeterKGeoghegan/status/1263753836293955589

aaaa
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I love how Independent Sage put out a report about why schools shouldn't open on June 1st and not a peep on the BBC News website.
http://www.independentsage.org/

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

I love how Independent Sage put out a report about why schools shouldn't open on June 1st and not a peep on the BBC News website.
http://www.independentsage.org/

Looks like they forgot to add a communications expert because their website is baaaaaad.

(This isn't supposed to be a glib comment. You're not gonna convince the people you're trying to convince by putting out badly formatted walls of text on a monotone website).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I own the same t-shirt as Jeremy Corbyn!

https://twitter.com/joejglenton/status/1263781407383486464

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"Nationalised."