Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aki.
Mar 12, 2007

A goblin in the works.
Have you ever had those small fruit salad sweet's you used to get from the corner shop? (From the UK). They always echo flavours of that to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aki. posted:

Have you ever had those small fruit salad sweet's you used to get from the corner shop? (From the UK). They always echo flavours of that to me.

Yes actually that is almost the closest thing I can think of, except I really like fruit salads and I don't like energy drinks.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Okay, I don't want to derail Monster Energy Discourse but I just caught up with this (fantastic) LP and I just can't get my head around what the deal is with Amelie. So her body is on the Beach, so she doesn't grow older for reasons that I assume will become clear later on...but at the same time she's being held hostage in Edge Knot City? How can that be? And why did Die Hard-Man call her Samantha America Strand?

Out of all the things that I don't know about this game, this one is bugging me the most for some reason.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
What happened to satellites and space stations and high flying planes? or is the world literally cut off from the rest of the universe and solar system by time rips and other stuff?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Planes gotta land sometime, and if they end up going through clouds with timefall rain they probably get forcibly landed even faster.

I imagine space stations without command centers to send supplies/evacuation rockets via timefall or voidout end up more like scenic places to starve.

As for satellites, what good are they if the techs who knew the passwords and how to use them and the computing systems needed have largely been blown up?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

MachuPikacchu posted:

And why did Die Hard-Man call her Samantha America Strand?

Sometimes folks go by a middle name, and "Amelie" is short for "America" as a name, I guess? Her brother is named Sam, after all. Sam and Samantha. It's not uncommon for those named "Samantha" to also go by "Sam", so maybe she goes by "Amelie" to better differentiate between the two of them?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Hideo Kojima posted:

Okay, so the name Amelie comes from...

********************************************************************************************
Two new NPC's worth of dialogue and 47 hours of cutscenes later
********************************************************************************************

...and that's why everyone drinks Monster now.

Oh wait, I forgot, we were talking about Amelie. I think Sam just called her that once when they were kids and the name just stuck.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Think about this though: what's Sam's actual middle name? Did Bridget named him Sam Porter Strand expecting him to become a porter???

(I advise you don't look it up)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sam Mckarty Lakynn Porter Bridges

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam Erica Strand

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
names aren't kojima's strong point

my favourite part about death stranding names so far though is the implication that the support team tried to have a naming convention but then mama was like "If any of you tries to call me Mama-man I will actually quit."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Sam Bouvier Terwilliger Hutz McClure Strand

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam Sam He's Our Man If He Can't Do It No One Strand

edit: Yknow just the other day I was saying to myself "man, I can't believe the thread is already 7 pages after only 3 videos." Now I understand why it is that way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm guessing it's like how Solid Snake is also Big Boss but also Punished Snake. In Kojima world, everyone has many names.

And weapons to surpass Metal Gear.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sam Mckarty Lakynn Porter Bridges

Sam Patriot Strand. So patriotic he can't even die right.

Guess there is a reason he goes by Porter now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

LashLightning posted:

Sometimes folks go by a middle name, and "Amelie" is short for "America" as a name, I guess? Her brother is named Sam, after all. Sam and Samantha. It's not uncommon for those named "Samantha" to also go by "Sam", so maybe she goes by "Amelie" to better differentiate between the two of them?

Makes sense - Amelie and Ameri are both reasonable romanisations of the same name.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah that reminds me: Regarding Sam's name, it's actually already been used as a pun that is completely lost in translation. In fact it's so lost in translation that they just totally changed the lines in English. It'll come up again later and I'll mention it then so I have it on record in the videos, but the name 'Sam' in japanese is pronounced the same as the word 'some' when used in the context of 'a person of note or excellence' (represented in the subtitles as サム and 本物 stuck together into one article). Think of Charlotte's Web and how the spiderweb called Wilbur 'some pig'. Therefore, the joke is that Sam isn't just a porter, he's a really noteworthy one, i.e. 'some porter'.

None of that would make any sense at all in english, so they just went whole hog on the 'great deliverer' thing wherever the pun would have been made. Great deliverer? Yeah, he's some porter alright, that Sam Porter.

edit: For reference, we know this is a pun because サム without any paired words doesn't mean 'some' and they use the above combined phrase in place of Sam's name (which is... uh, Sam) when it's supposed to be paired with 'bridges' to make the joke, as in "サム ... 本物の橋 - some porter (who works for bridges)". Sam's name in Japanese is just represented by サム without any paired words, pronounced 'Samu' of course.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 22, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And also also for reference, Amelie's nickname is in fact a shortened version of her full middle name in Japanese.

アメリ = Ameri

アメリカ = America

All they did was chop off the last character.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 22, 2020

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

CJacobs posted:

アメリカ = America

'MURICA *eagle noises*.

But also, why America?

Edit: I meant why would the story take place in primarily America? Did the rest of the world just get wiped out?

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 22, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SugarAddict posted:

'MURICA *eagle noises*.

But also, why America?

Did you not pay attention to who their mother was, she absolutely adored America and wanted it to be whole again, Amelie is literally part of that dream and potentially always has been maybe?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SugarAddict posted:

'MURICA *eagle noises*.

But also, why America?

Edit: I meant why would the story take place in primarily America? Did the rest of the world just get wiped out?

Well it fits the game's themes more than anything, but also North America makes for a good setting geographically because it's temperate but not that humid and is a hotbed of technological development and natural resources. We can probably assume that anywhere particularly rainy or snowy has been completely erased by the timefall. To survive in a world like that of Death Stranding, the tech to withstand the timefall surely had to be made REAL fast, and any countries that didn't get there in time are almost certainly gone for good. It's reasonable to assume that some other technologically advanced countries could've made the jump, China being the key one, but most of the world is probably dead and gone. With that said, given that practically all of the timefall resistant equipment harnesses chiral energy (including the network itself), North America may have been the only one to actually figure out how to harness and use it in time.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 22, 2020

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Well it fits the game's themes more than anything, but also North America makes for a good setting geographically because it's temperate but not that humid and is a hotbed of technological development and natural resources. To survive in a world like that of Death Stranding, the tech to withstand the timefall surely had to be made REAL fast, and any countries that didn't get there in time are almost certainly gone for good. We can probably assume that anywhere particularly rainy or snowy has been completely erased by the timefall.

It seems like timefall affects whatever it hits then it stops there. It seems like there could be a few different alternatives to resist timefall. Glass, grass on dirt roof then actual structure underneath that, and then there's caves. Granted there's probably alot of other places that could have survived, it's just a matter of keeping the ghosts out or not attracting their attention. It seems like they are stopped by physical objects like brick and cement, but only stuff like glass actually resists their touch and has to be physically broken by them rather than just them melting though it.

Alternatively, there were other nations in other places that existed but the deimos faction wiped them all out and this is the only other nation they haven't decided to wipe out yet.

Edit: As I understand it and last I heard about it, China has a vast underground bunker system that spans most of China. It's entirely possible they've survived but due to the location and population density of the locations above the bunkers, it's entirely possible for china to be one vast void out, or just a chain reaction wiped out anything resembling a chain of command they had.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 22, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The problem is you do need a way to safely go out in the timefall to dispose of bodies. Even if you live underground, there has to be some access to the surface for you to get air, and thus a way for any chiralium to reach the surface and attract nearby BTs. They're physical and human-sized creatures, but babies can die too- plugging up every infant-sized crevice in a cave in case of baby BTs is probably not easy. You could seal off a bunker Fallout vault style but the changing topography would eventually entomb you there without constant maintenance.

edit: I think it's important to keep in mind too that even one BT renders an area completely uninhabitable. You can't scare them off, you can't kill them, you can't SEE them, and if they so much as touch you a nuclear explosion will instantly occur. As of the latest video it's been revealed that something about Sam's injury from the beginning of the game scared the BT away from him, and Deadman reacted in a way that says it's never happened before. The only way to keep a functioning society going is to make sure no unprocessed chiralium ever comes within the limits of your living space. If it ever happened before you realized that was the requirement, it's already too late, the BTs are comin'.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 22, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Capture the smoke, compress it, dispose of it in pods.

Even better, use aquamation instead of cremation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A body can't release chiralium if it's trapped in a barrel of acid! :byoscience:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CJacobs posted:

A body can't release chiralium if it's trapped in a barrel of acid! :byoscience:

"Sir, I regret to inform you that there are now Acid Tar Ghosts."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm guessing it's like how Solid Snake is also Big Boss but also Punished Snake. In Kojima world, everyone has many names.

And weapons to surpass Metal Gear.

Sam, as you know, you were secretly created as a genetic clone of the legendary Big Porter himself as part of the clandestine Les Enfants Lalivraison project

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sam, as you know, you were secretly created as a genetic clone of the legendary Big Porter himself as part of the clandestine Les Enfants Lalivraison project

A delivery service to surpass UPS...

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

You will be ashamed of your orders and purchasing history...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At least we know Norman Reedus won't be taking off his clothes and dancing in the rain.

FAKE EDIT: The internet did not fail me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9H6iexJWI

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
In this world of "Just call me X", it would be travesty if Sam's real middle name isn't Cartman.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Sam "Mule" Bridges

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So I haven't played the game, but even if the rest of the world survived, if communication is so difficult that ex-Washington DC can't talk with ex-Pittsburgh, some other sensible county like Uzbekistan, Niger, or Even Canada may as well be a far-off myth from maps with labels like "here be dragons." Old folks probably tell anyone who will listen hazily and reverently of the great city of Cancun, land of a hundred pleasures, where their foremothers once visited.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You jest, but just you wait.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Chlorine trifluoride is the oxidizer that keeps on giving. If you ever need something well and truly burned to fluoride ash, CTF is there for you.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

And also also for reference, Amelie's nickname is in fact a shortened version of her full middle name in Japanese.

アメリ = Ameri

アメリカ = America

All they did was chop off the last character.

So in the Japanese Amelie is named Ameri? That absolutely feels like a cruel accent joke

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's still supposed to be 'Amelie' in the japanese version, which makes sense because 'Ameri' isn't a name in any language really. It's just that アメリ is the only way to represent that and it also conveneiently makes for a pun on アメリカ.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The puns are just getting started

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know there is no L or R sound in Japanese, there's a sound that is sort of in the middle and which comes out a bit differently depending on the other sounds around it. Which is why people sometimes use them interchangeably, and why there would be no way to specifically transliterate "Amelie" in the same way there is no way to accurately transliterate, say, the words Hannukah, or Dach into English, because English doesn't have a voiceless uvular fricative, so we use closest approximations like H and Ch.

Also I had to google for a German word with one in because the only one I can ever remember is Durchfall.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I know there is no L or R sound in Japanese, there's a sound that is sort of in the middle and which comes out a bit differently depending on the other sounds around it. Which is why people sometimes use them interchangeably, and why there would be no way to specifically transliterate "Amelie" in the same way there is no way to accurately transliterate, say, the words Hannukah, or Dach into English, because English doesn't have a voiceless uvular fricative, so we use closest approximations like H and Ch.

Also I had to google for a German word with one in because the only one I can ever remember is Durchfall.
That's more on the limitations of the Latin alphabet as a whole, and more broadly on any phonemic script that's going to be used for everyday writing. The Romans had a bunch of sounds they used but also a bunch of sounds they very much didn't use as part of Roman Latin (itself distinct from medieval or modern Latin), so anything that doesn't follow Roman Latin phonology is some kind of compromise. Even English has some compromises like the dental fricatives, which we represent today as Th and interpret based on context because two sounds share one digraph. Or the standard English Ch which is really the affricate T + Sh smashed together. Compound this with the fact that apparently the concept of R in Japanese phonology is mercurial as hell depending on circumstance, and it's not surprising that R <-> L is the best guess at transcription.

Edit: If you're looking for something German with the voiceless uvular fricative there's always Bach. :v:

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 23, 2020