Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

It was fun trying to predict the content of this article from the URL.

One cent population thinness gene eat want :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think if you wear garlic cloves and hang em up everywhere it will protect you from the virus. Or maybe vampires idk all that garlic will definitely protect you from something or other

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mindstorm posted:

One of my coworkers told me (as a high-risk person for covid-19 complications) that I could protect myself by using onions. They referred to their post on facebook that was related to the spanish (kentucky?) flu of 1918 which was just anecdotal nonsense about leaving out cut-up onions to absorb viruses.

It actually works because your house smells like rotting onions before long and then, voila! No visitors to your house. You've achieved social distancing.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

*smells toast, blissfully keels over*

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

mindstorm posted:

One of my coworkers told me (as a high-risk person for covid-19 complications) that I could protect myself by using onions. They referred to their post on facebook that was related to the spanish (kentucky?) flu of 1918 which was just anecdotal nonsense about leaving out cut-up onions to absorb viruses. This nonsense keeps popping up every time something virus-ish comes out. This is an educated person who is a design professional, and they believe in peasant medicine.

America is in a shitload of trouble. Jesus christ, I can't imagine going back to an office with people like this in it. I really hope a vaccine is forthcoming and I can, somehow, isolate myself from folks who believe in magical bullshit.
Grandpa told me he had an onion on his belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The key is to use the onion as a suppository.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

mindstorm posted:

One of my coworkers told me (as a high-risk person for covid-19 complications) that I could protect myself by using onions. They referred to their post on facebook that was related to the spanish (kentucky?) flu of 1918 which was just anecdotal nonsense about leaving out cut-up onions to absorb viruses. This nonsense keeps popping up every time something virus-ish comes out. This is an educated person who is a design professional, and they believe in peasant medicine.

America is in a shitload of trouble. Jesus christ, I can't imagine going back to an office with people like this in it. I really hope a vaccine is forthcoming and I can, somehow, isolate myself from folks who believe in magical bullshit.
I know someone with a PhD in a hard science who believes in acupuncture and reiki, lol

Anyway yep, making yourself smell like pungent onions might in fact protect from the corvids because nobody will come near you.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mr_Companie posted:

Grandpa told me he had an onion on his belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

That's not reducing the spread

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My wife was talking to one of our neighbors. Neighbor is pregnant, and so they were commiserating about mom gripes together (because being pregnant is horrible)

Neighbor was saying she was super nauseous, and was having trouble eating, keeping food down, or even preparing food!
"Have you asked your doctor about some anti nausea medication? That stuff was amazing for me."
"Yeah, he prescribed some but called it into a Costco, and I'm not going there while they're doing that whole mask thing :rolleyes:"

Vomiting all day and starving to own the libs.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Wafflecopper posted:

That's not reducing the spread

all i see is "the void awaits!" said in a cheerful tone

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

steinrokkan posted:

On the person suggesting it as a remedy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Onions... always make me... tear up

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

mindstorm posted:

I have to honestly say that I would not be surprised if I wake up tomorrow to read that people are on trial for being witches. The overt stupidity that is being unleashed thanks to Trumps example is staggering.

It's like everyone who had a stupid though, but knew it was stupid and hid it from the world, has now been unchained. "Well Trump says stupid poo poo all day, so gently caress it".

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

steinrokkan posted:

This hits close to home except replace onion with garlic and coronavirus with pinworms.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Captain Beans posted:

I have to honestly say that I would not be surprised if I wake up tomorrow to read that people are on trial for being witches. The overt stupidity that is being unleashed thanks to Trumps example is staggering.

It's like everyone who had a stupid though, but knew it was stupid and hid it from the world, has now been unchained. "Well Trump says stupid poo poo all day, so gently caress it".
Kurt Andersen wrote a whole big book about Americans' special propensity to believe in bullshit called Fantasyland. We have our roots in Puritanism/fundamentalist Christianity and an overall attitude of "everyone has a right to their own opinion" etc. Plus our school system is literally not set up to create critical thinkers or to prepare you for life, really, but rather to churn out obedient factory workers. Not the best overall combination.

Given the above, plus our porous borders between states, we're in for a wild ride with the pandemic. How do we squelch the spread when some places refuse to shut down and people drive many hundreds of miles for a haircut/restaurant meal, then drive back home after spending time in close contact with people who've also come from far away places?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Lost my sense of taste and smell briefly this morning, but I think I just had some gunk in the wrong place.

My life would be so much easier if I died of covid-19.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Beachcomber posted:

Lost my sense of taste and smell briefly this morning, but I think I just had some gunk in the wrong place.

My life would be so much easier if I died of covid-19.

It's not too late for you

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Florida has over 2100 deaths now, it hasn't been dropping off. They also fired the state's data manager because she refused to remove some coronavirus death records. A researcher decided to look at what the normal death count should be vs what it was minus coronavirus and it looks like there are up to 1500 of unexplainable extra deaths.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think if you wear garlic cloves and hang em up everywhere it will protect you from the virus. Or maybe vampires idk all that garlic will definitely protect you from something or other

They actually tested a medieval ointment made from garlic and onions and found it could kill antibiotic resistant bacteria.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The obsession with the numbers is bad both ways. The revised charts are also garbage with uneven X axis (March is the same size as Jan & Feb combined), and weird tiny Y axis choices. The ancedotal claim that homicides are down is super suspect as a quick google search of florida homicides shows murder is up everywhere except the city of Miami.

Knowing that the state initially hid data from Tampa Bay Times on COVID-19 appearing in JANUARY: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/05/patients-florida-had-symptoms-covid-19-early-january/3083949001/

It looks like the clusterfuck of a response missed Florida peaking mid-march, hospitals did clear out a lot of beds in anticipation, which caused unnecessary death and people not seeking out ER treatment.

The politics around this just suck, because it seems like Florida has a wealth of data that will never be available or trustworthy. If it was there in January pre-anything, clearly it wasn't spreading as quickly as feared. Or that could be a false trail and it's just peaking now and Memorial Day weekend is gonna be hellish.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Only 2000 in Florida?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Philthy posted:

Florida has over 2100 deaths now, it hasn't been dropping off. They also fired the state's data manager because she refused to remove some coronavirus death records. A researcher decided to look at what the normal death count should be vs what it was minus coronavirus and it looks like there are up to 1500 of unexplainable extra deaths.

So you're attributing the extra deaths to covid even though you admit they're unexplainable? Hrmmmmm

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk maybe aliens did it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shaocaholica posted:

Only 2000 in Florida?
Hospitals have not been overwhelmed down here like they were up north. The population centers are all mostly spread out other than in South Florida so that helps.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

So can pistol whipping

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

So you're attributing the extra deaths to covid even though you admit they're unexplainable? Hrmmmmm

A professor in Florida who apparently has been doing corrections of official gov't death misreporting for a while did it, don't blame Philthy. The approach is sound I think? I know the basic concept works when applied in finance. loving with the chart axis and saying "this is why a,b,c" is where it goes tits up.

- the core idea is the range of deaths is 0 to all of them. in finance it's useful when every department claims their process will save 25%! as you know the cost to make a product can't actually be negative

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 22, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet the cow bile is a pretty important ingredient there. Anybody can get garlic, onions, and wine, but where do you even get cow bile these days?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Facebook Aunt posted:

I bet the cow bile is a pretty important ingredient there. Anybody can get garlic, onions, and wine, but where do you even get cow bile these days?

Any slaughterhouse that deals with beef?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blistex posted:

Any slaughterhouse that deals with beef?

LOL I don't even know if there are any slaughterhouses in my town. I suppose a butcher shop could order in a gallbladder though, even if they don't slaughter cows themselves.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

A professor in Florida who apparently has been doing corrections of official gov't death misreporting for a while did it, don't blame Philthy. The approach is sound I think? I know the basic concept works when applied in finance. loving with the chart axis and saying "this is why a,b,c" is where it goes tits up.

- the core idea is the range of deaths is 0 to all of them. in finance it's useful when every department claims their process will save 25%! as you know the cost to make a product can't actually be negative

Sorry, I was just trying to be a dick about explaining something that's defined as unexplainable.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we should figure out if peeps who were poastin in this thread have died

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

we should figure out if peeps who were poastin in this thread have died

I am alive as is my brother

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Flassebecker/status/1263630054220857349

I gotta limit looking at twitter to once a week.

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
Maybe keeping it to once a year would be healthier? Twitter just seems to be a nightmare of brands, hot takes, and nonsense.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The appropriate way to interact with twitter is via specific links in forums, etc.
Never click or follow anything in that hellscape.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I work in a liquor store which has been considered essential in my state and interacted with hundreds, maybe thousands of people, and today my sinuses felt all hosed up which I attributed to one of two things. 1)I have coronavirus and will soon spread it to my 6 year old niece and elderly mother or 2)I have done way too much cocaine in the past 72 hours

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

poo poo man who the gently caress snorts cocaine in 2020 it got covid on it

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Unless it's Dennys

https://mobile.twitter.com/DennysDiner/status/1262775211293900801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Uh, grocery shopping isn't safe tho. We just don't have the infrastructure to safely deliver food to everyone so we could close all the stores.