Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

My install has gone from sepia-tone to full color and it is causing my 2019 gaming laptop to chug on the menu screen (it runs Diablo 3 on full settings). The gameplay is as smooth as the day it was released, thank god, but the menu is acting like every last cell of a map is filled with spastically-animating units.

https://twitter.com/colincornaby/status/1223073101312753664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I remember that part, but here's the thing: when I got my computer several months ago, and WC3 was in sepia-tone, it was loading so drat fast that I temporarily forgot how hosed this all was. Now that it's in color, it's running like it did post-ruination-patch but on my old (6-year-old computer).

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

lol this video game 3: this game is bad

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

I remember that part, but here's the thing: when I got my computer several months ago, and WC3 was in sepia-tone, it was loading so drat fast that I temporarily forgot how hosed this all was. Now that it's in color, it's running like it did post-ruination-patch but on my old (6-year-old computer).

Maybe change your settings to 256 colors

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Maybe change your settings to 256 colors
:yikes:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

"Well, as long as I'm not using the remastered graphics, it shouldn't be that..."

Ahahaha what the hell.
Also it's failed to play the cutscene music at the start (and only the start) of every map I played so far.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Nostalgamus posted:

"Well, as long as I'm not using the remastered graphics, it shouldn't be that..."

Ahahaha what the hell.
Also it's failed to play the cutscene music at the start (and only the start) of every map I played so far.

God Tier dialogue/error combo.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
So it was a smart move on my part to buy the game several years ago, without any reforged nonsense?

I played through the classic campaign a while ago, but I have been afraid to start it up, in case it tries to download a bunch of poo poo and break my already working install.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

captain innocuous posted:

So it was a smart move on my part to buy the game several years ago, without any reforged nonsense?

I played through the classic campaign a while ago, but I have been afraid to start it up, in case it tries to download a bunch of poo poo and break my already working install.

I forget which is the last version of WC3 that did not auto-update on launch. No more multiplayer for you without updating to Reforged, though. But depending on what the most recent update you have is, it may well force the Reforged update on launch.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blizzard destroying the last good game they released rules so much.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I have 1.31.1 installed, which has widescreen support. I don't use the launcher and run it directly, and it asks to update, but I can decline it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Blizzard destroying the last good game they released rules so much.

It's really impressive how they not only botched the remaster, but took out the old version in the process.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

How did they end up using the wrong talking portrait? They used the right one at the start of the map...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nostalgamus posted:

How did they end up using the wrong talking portrait? They used the right one at the start of the map...

Not only is it the wrong talking portrait, it's the wrong *voice*, too.

I think it's more complicated than a simple "whoops, put the wrong model/portrait in".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Comrayn posted:

Command and conquer remaster out soon.

If they do one for RA2/YR I'll need new pants

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Milo and POTUS posted:

If they do one for RA2/YR I'll need new pants

I don't think they've said conclusively one way or the other that they will, but my suspicion is it'll depend on sales. They went to a lot of effort to find all the old poo poo out of archives to try and remaster those two games, it would have been easy to save themselves double the expense for RA2 / Tib sun by grabbing that poo poo at the same time.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was bummed Reforged ended up being a trashfire, as I was looking forward to a nostalgia dive into making a custom campaign I'd mapped out years ago with it.

...but instead, I went a bit further back and found out there's actually a small community still rocking Warcraft II. Cut to a month later, and I've released the first four of sixteen levels of a custom WC2 campaign I'm calling "Return to the Storm". Turns out folks have figured out how to hack the computer ai, graphics, and core code to customize a lot more than the default editor allowed.

If anyone still has a computer running Windows 7 you can play it at the link below. There's a fan release of Warcraft II called WarCombat you can use to play this with.

Information & Download
http://war2usa.com/index.php/forums/topic/return-to-the-storm-custom-campaign/

Certainly a niche hobby, but I think this is my version of airplane models. If someone else enjoys playing it, just an added benefit. Maybe someone here will get a kick out of it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

“Each of our balance patches will aim to ensure competitive integrity at the professional level”

hmm yes tell me more about the pro scene in 2020 for an early 2000s game

Dota? It's doing pretty well actually.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dota will survive the heat death of the universe I think.

Anyway, what were WC3 numbers like back in its peak? I remember logging onto bnet and seeing xxxxxx number of players playing xxxx of games (across all bnet games) but if I had to put an actual number to those I'd probably embarrass myself. The scene was certainly impressive though. It was definitely in the tens of thousands but I'm trying to recall if it ever peaked 100k

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dota will survive the heat death of the universe I think.

Anyway, what were WC3 numbers like back in its peak? I remember logging onto bnet and seeing xxxxxx number of players playing xxxx of games (across all bnet games) but if I had to put an actual number to those I'd probably embarrass myself. The scene was certainly impressive though. It was definitely in the tens of thousands but I'm trying to recall if it ever peaked 100k
There were four servers (East/West, Euro, Asia) all fairly evenly populated so it certainly punched through a hundred thou several times over at its peak.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Cuntellectual posted:

Dota? It's doing pretty well actually.

If Dota survived the reforged launch then it can survive anything

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

Did your Captain unit survive the map? I think some of the ending cutscenes were a bit glitchy when named-but-not-hero units died during the mission, even in the original.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

um

Still fires rocks, though:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There's no Reforged Model for regular Catapults, and they didn't re-record any dialogue. If they had, I guarantee they would have had Thrall call them Demolishers instead.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Ah. I guess that also explains the glaive throwers that are firing ballista bolts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How come they randomly changed some unit names back then.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MARKETING!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

RIP old gyro model. You were much better.

Just to clarify, when people were looking to drop in games back in the day (it used to say waiting for ____), people would spam individual letters one at a time to cause them to drop. Anyone familiar with this behavior? It was rampant in RT. Anyway, my question is: would this really cause people to drop/lag out? It was obnoxious as hell

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Groovelord Neato posted:

How come they randomly changed some unit names back then.

Steam Tanks, Ballistas, Catapults, and Gyrocopters were too close to Warhammer Fantasy models of the same names. Meat Wagons weren't changed because they weren't a potential liability.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just to clarify, when people were looking to drop in games back in the day (it used to say waiting for ____), people would spam individual letters one at a time to cause them to drop. Anyone familiar with this behavior? It was rampant in RT. Anyway, my question is: would this really cause people to drop/lag out? It was obnoxious as hell
It shouldn't cause anyone to drop in 2020. If you have really high packet loss to the host or a super slow connection it might help a little if the person hasn't actually disconnected but is instead having trouble staying in sync with the host.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

p. sure I used to do this in both starcraft and wcIII but I was a punk kid

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I thought:
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
Was just people saying, "we need to drop this fucker holding up the game" rather than any kind of DOS attempt.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
It's freakin rude is what it is.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Mata posted:

It's freakin rude is what it is.

d
d
d
d
d
d
d
d
d
d
d
d

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kith posted:

Steam Tanks, Ballistas, Catapults, and Gyrocopters were too close to Warhammer Fantasy models of the same names. Meat Wagons weren't changed because they weren't a potential liability.

What about wyvern??

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

What about wyvern??
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Groovelord Neato posted:

What about wyvern??

*shrugs loudly*

Tubgoat posted:

D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I don't remember the wisp portrait being this detailed, did the HD version sneak into the old graphics?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Nah, looks normal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That's how they've always looked for me, regardless of the computer I played it on.

Are Wind Riders now Wyverns or vice versa? I'm reasonably sure either change is consistent with copyright cuckoldry.