Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, I popped open skills and just cackled at the sheer volume of the nodes. It's been pretty stable for me so far. I have had a couple ctds but I haven't nailed down causes yet, but I'm thinking it's the alchemy stuff in spell research. I doubt it was vokriinator plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I stabbed a bear in the middle of the woods.

The trees then turned into spiders and a giant ent came out of the foliage and smashed me into paste.

Modding this game is wild.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Been playing with some Wabbajack lists, Elder Souls is great and the guy who made it is a wizard. Could never put something this large together without it being a crashy mess.

10/10, would die to horse riding draugr and giant ice golem things wearing a tree as a hat.

Looking at these lists has helped me find great mods I hadn't looked at before like Vigilant, Forgotten Magic, Morskom Estate, Skyrim Unbound, or Ye Olde Hybrid Loot. Oh or the weirdness that is combining Invasion of Skyrim (Star Wars) and Relics of Hyrule.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
Having just built a new gaming pc, I’d like to play Skyrim one final time. Not for a million re-rolls but one single game. I was a big fan of Requiem but I’m playing SE and I don’t want to deal with that headache installation again.

The mods I need:

-something to make the game challenging and balanced like Requiem?
-something that tones down the whole “make the universe center around the Dragonborn” aspect where the game throws all of the quests at you.
-maybe something that makes NPCs stop saying the same inane Bethesda poo poo all the time

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Spoilers, you're gonna end up installing Requiem again

Might as well get to it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a way through SkyUI I can make staves default to the left hand when equipped via hotkey?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a way through SkyUI I can make staves default to the left hand when equipped via hotkey?

You can set up item sets, down at the bottom of the fav menu. Once inside that Set, you can equip it in your left hand and hit a button to have it remember the setup (which I think is like T). Then when you hit the hotkey for that set it should remember that the staff goes in your left hand.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
What the hell happened to iNeed? I have memories of this mod being good once upon a time. Now it's a savegame-wrecking shitshow, it was causing CTDs whenever I tried to save past starting around level 8. Uninstalling it not only fixed the issue completely, but gave me a general performance boost.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

physeter posted:

What the hell happened to iNeed? I have memories of this mod being good once upon a time. Now it's a savegame-wrecking shitshow, it was causing CTDs whenever I tried to save past starting around level 8. Uninstalling it not only fixed the issue completely, but gave me a general performance boost.

Out of curiosity what kind of crashes is it causing? I've been getting game freezes where the game locks up but audio keeps running. Its way more annoying than a clean crash because Skyrim refuses to close and essentially forces me to restart my PC. Trying to figure out what's causing it.

I've noticed iNeed being a bit wonky but didn't think it was crashing my game.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

It's a jarring CTD where the game just blips out of existence and you're starring at a desktop whenever you save from menu/F5 or even autosave. It creeps up over time, starting mid-game, increasing in frequency until it's 100%. I haven't seen your issue before, but the good news is iNeed at least uninstalls fairly neatly if you turn it off through MCM & clean the save. I was able to take it out, and slide RND for usleep right in without too much issue.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

physeter posted:

It's a jarring CTD where the game just blips out of existence and you're starring at a desktop whenever you save from menu/F5 or even autosave. It creeps up over time, starting mid-game, increasing in frequency until it's 100%. I haven't seen your issue before, but the good news is iNeed at least uninstalls fairly neatly if you turn it off through MCM & clean the save. I was able to take it out, and slide RND for usleep right in without too much issue.

this sounds familiar. do you have frostfall or (weirdly) birds of skyrim installed?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

this sounds familiar. do you have frostfall or (weirdly) birds of skyrim installed?

Yeah, Birds of Skyrim is an absolute ramdom crash factory. I was baffled by how I could just be walking around doing nothing and the game would crash and I put it together eventually that it was BOS and punted it from my load order.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Birds of Skyrim is an absolute ramdom crash factory. I was baffled by how I could just be walking around doing nothing and the game would crash and I put it together eventually that it was BOS and punted it from my load order.

it was bitter sweet for me when i removed it. there was an inexplicably loud crow in the college courtyard and things are just not the same anymore now that it’s gone

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Rainbow Knight posted:

Frostfall yes, Birds no. It seems to be a not uncommon CTD from my googling. I am stuck on LE because Requiem. My two attempts to use the LL Requiem SE conversion ended in heartache.

Also a plug for Nether's Follower Framework, updated this month: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/92194. My usual reaction to follower mods is the more complicated they are the more likely they are to be dogshit, but this one is doing very well in my playthrough so far.

physeter fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 19, 2020

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

My brief review of Wabbajack after trying a few modlists:
-Being able to install huge modlists super easily and have a stable and working game is amazing.
-But the modlists all have the same problem that a lot of modders have, which is going ridiculously overboard on the number of mods. Including a lot of intrusive/annoying ones that you have no way of disabling or removing without destroying the entire list.
-Also going overboard on "immersion" at the cost of making the game really annoying to actually play. Like..an AI overhaul that gives people real schedules which means you can never find people when you need them, combined with the mod that prevents you from seeing their name until you talk to them, and also a mod that adds tons of NPCs to every area.
-Way too many mods that operate through nested menus and powers and whatnot, which is a general Skyrim modding problem but gets increasingly annoying the more you add on. I'm just not a fan of a lot of the more popular stuff like some of Enai's stuff, Hunterborn, Campfire etc because of this and just not integrating well into the game.
-Way too much busywork to distract from the gameplay, like yes the gameplay of Skyrim isn't great but busywork isn't exactly better. And modder written content is just awful (People recommend Immersive NPCs all the time, but I can always instantly tell when I run into one of them and I can't stand them)
-If you care about graphics, it's a really easy way to get a beautiful game without going through a ton of work (and it'd be nice if there was a basic graphics list that could just be dropped into any installation even if it had to omit some of the trickier stuff)
-Gameplay wise simplicity is key and a small well curated selection of mods is just way more fun. Another easy way to prevent conflicts and have a stable game is to just...not install conflicting mods.
-If you actually need to play with hundreds of mods, you are absolutely the type who enjoys curating and figuring out a mod installation yourself more than playing the game anyway.
-What is people's obsession with awful unreadable fonts?

Specific to Skyrim VR:
It's cool, but Skyrim (and Skyrim mods) are full of small annoyances that turn into big annoyances in VR. Even maxed out on mods it's just not immersive or fun enough to overcome the inherent problems the game has in VR.
Spellsiphon and VRIIK are extremely cool and awesome even if they aren't enough to go VR. Spellsiphon is available in flatscreen too but it's just not the same.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Zeron posted:

My brief review of Wabbajack after trying a few modlists:

(a bunch of stuff I agree with)

I've been playing around with Wabbajack for a few weeks and I agree with everything you said.

So far for Skyrim I've tried the Lexy's LOTD list, Living Skyrim, and a couple of "unofficial" variations of the LOTD list once that went offline. One of the LOTD variations (named Trawlzified or some such) tried to add in a ton of custom animations that the PC would get stuck in, as well as trying to force the camera to do the Fallout 4 perspective switching thing during conversations, and it was a goddamn nightmare. I bailed on that as soon as I got stuck in a "drunk and stumbling around" animation that I couldn't get out of. Like I can see what the person who made it was going for, but Skyrim is not friendly to the player character doing new and exciting things.

Honestly some of the lists are good but there's some poo poo you would be fine just never enabling in the MCM (who the gently caress thought Skyrim needed a bathing mechanic?!), and some of it only seems fun for a certain type of person (like making sure you've got enough firewood and rations so you don't freeze to death on the way to Winterhold because fast travel is disabled, it's -30 degrees, and the cart costs 200 goddamn septims). Also don't be surprised when you strip a bandit of their armor and a dick flops out. That was a fun surprise.

Still though, it's fun to see what people put together, and if you're locked inside all day anyway then it's a good way to kill an afternoon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
One thing I've always wanted out of Elder Scrolls is for melee: regular action game combat but for spells: MMO-style tab targetting and 1-button casting from a hotbar.

Basically, for all spells, I want the game to behave like a tab-targetting MMO. Tab to lock onto an enemy, hit an action bar button to seamlessly cast a spell at enemy without having to manually aim, then auto-swap back to melee weapons so you can go back to manually sword swinging and shield blocking.

Do any mods allow for this?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 21, 2020

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Wabbajack is at the mercy of people who make mod lists for the quality of their mod lists. Currently, there's a lot of bloated crap, because the great thing about Wabbajack is that the difference between 20 mods and 500 mods setup-wise is minimal to the end user. Sure it might take longer to download and install, but it requires roughly the same amount of buttons to press. Over time I imagine we'll see more utility oriented lists, such as a purely graphical overhaul to work off of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Would it break anything if I just used the console to skip the first debt collection quest for the thieves guild? I can put up with the rest of the quests,but that one really bugs me and "Thieves Guild for Good Guys" I guess breaks a lot of other thieves guild mods.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Just figured out that i've always been playing skyrim at like an average of 15 to 20 fps. This sucks.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

Wabbajack is at the mercy of people who make mod lists for the quality of their mod lists. Currently, there's a lot of bloated crap, because the great thing about Wabbajack is that the difference between 20 mods and 500 mods setup-wise is minimal to the end user. Sure it might take longer to download and install, but it requires roughly the same amount of buttons to press. Over time I imagine we'll see more utility oriented lists, such as a purely graphical overhaul to work off of.

I think one of the unofficial ones I tried crammed something like 600 combined mods into a single list, potentially more.

"Why yes, every clay pot in Skyrim is now totally unique, using a series of 293 different mods to procedurally generate each pot! Also, it now takes 3 hours to load into Bleakfall Barrows. No the two aren't related, stop asking."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In a way I kinda admire the kind of person that decides that one specific object in the game needs a texture overhaul, and then releases some 4k texture for some random rope that holds up a sign somewhere that not a single other person has ever seen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In a way I kinda admire the kind of person that decides that one specific object in the game needs a texture overhaul, and then releases some 4k texture for some random rope that holds up a sign somewhere that not a single other person has ever seen.

My favorite is the mod that retextures one, and only one, step on the path to High Hrothgar.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

docbeard posted:

My favorite is the mod that retextures one, and only one, step on the path to High Hrothgar.

Also note the number of downloads. :spergin:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Also note the number of downloads. :spergin:

85,000?! :stare:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Short list of newish mods I like/dislike from my latest run.

Dear Diary: A SkyUI menu replacer, but actually good. It has built in functions/compatibility for most UI mods I've tried (moreHUD/Inventory, options for built in wider MCM/etc), and it has a nice clean paper aesthetic. I'm not usually a fan of the paper theme, but for some reason this mod makes menus incredibly snappy and fast (at least for me) which I love.

Wards Functionalities Extended: Just makes wards actually worth using by buffing them and letting them block stuff besides spells, all editable through MCM.

Combat Gameplay Overhaul: Incompatible with a lot of stuff and I find the dodge animation disorientating, but it's a lagless dodge that you can add iframes too and it has a lot of other cool features like attacking in mid air, grip changing, built in dual wield block etc.

iEquip: It's a cool concept, a widget that lets you use hotkeys to cycle through weapons/spells/shouts/potions. Script lag just makes it a bit too slow and it ends up being snappier/faster to just use hotkeys/favorite menus.

Locational Damage SKSE VR (also for SE): I remembered a locational damage mod that was really good...this one isn't quite that. It's projectiles only and is a bit oddly tuned.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I think its pretty loving hilarious that every problem that I and others pointed out about modpacks pretty much came true with Wabbajack.

"I wish I could just have a one-click install modpack."
"OK here's a wabbajack list."
"Not like that."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Agents are GO! posted:

I think its pretty loving hilarious that every problem that I and others pointed out about modpacks pretty much came true with Wabbajack.

"I wish I could just have a one-click install modpack."
"OK here's a wabbajack list."
"Not like that."

"Why aren't there Skyrim modpacks?"
"Because so many modders are incredibly whiny and hate the idea and also, Skyrim modpacks don't make sense."
"You sound like one of those whiny modders."
"But I'm right!"
:goonsay:

(I say, agreeing with you on modpacks.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That someone would tell prima donna mod authors to gently caress off was a bad bet, tbf.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I was more commenting on the users here, though. ~I want modpacks but oh wait theres mods in there I don't like whatever shall I do.~

Pick out your own drat mods like Talos Lorkhan intended.

Also fuuuuuuuuuuck giving the Nexus money to use Wabbajack (you have to have a premium account to use it.) I'd rather donate the money to the RNC.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Agents are GO! posted:

I was more commenting on the users here, though. ~I want modpacks but oh wait theres mods in there I don't like whatever shall I do.~

Pick out your own drat mods like Talos Lorkhan intended.

Also fuuuuuuuuuuck giving the Nexus money to use Wabbajack (you have to have a premium account to use it.) I'd rather donate the money to the RNC.

Pretty sure you can install from local copies of mods now so you don't need premium

The biggest problem with the lists right now is that there aren't many that are frameworks yet. Nothing really gives you a decent QoL baseline to then go and add in your own things to, they're all stuff like Lexy's that is multiple layers of overhaul.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And the reason for that is the people who can do that have no reason to.

Which is another thing that was predicted.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Wait why is Nexus bad? Did they do something horrible?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lightningproof posted:

They boost lovely people.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Lightningproof posted:

The Nexus' position in the Skyrim modding scene and its indispensability to both users and authors means that it has the ability to shape the contours of the scene, maybe try to make it something less toxic, and instead at every turn it seems to choose to shape it according to the whims of the most petty whiny self-important babies imaginable.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
One thing about the modpack-discussion that always frustrated me, is that the "athors" will make this nonsense argument about not wanting their work to be monetized.
Which would be a fine argument, were it not made on the forums of the Nexus. A site that monetizes their work.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

The Nexus' position in the Skyrim modding scene and its indispensability to both users and authors means that it has the ability to shape the contours of the scene, maybe try to make it something less toxic, and instead at every turn it seems to choose to shape it according to the whims of the most petty whiny self-important babies imaginable.

Well dang.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

You don't need a Nexus premium account to use Wabbajack, and as someone who's been modding Bethesda games since Morrowind came out, it's fun to click a button and have a ton of changes, many of which you can straight up disable in either MO2 or the MCM. Hell, I've added/removed stuff no consequence. If you know how to make patches in MO2 you can fiddle with things to your heart's content.

It's not perfect, more of a fun diversion, and it's nothing to get weird and goony about (yes I know where I am).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm looking for an excuse to install this game yet again, but if I do, it needs to be for a purpose. I'm done just dicking around in Skyrim. I need a specific goal.

What's the best mod(s) for completionists these days? It seems like "Dragonborn Museum" is great for managing all the physical things in the game you can collect. Is that the best stuff-collection management mod? Also, what's the best quest management mod so I can keep track of that as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Raygereio posted:

One thing about the modpack-discussion that always frustrated me, is that the "athors" will make this nonsense argument about not wanting their work to be monetized.
Which would be a fine argument, were it not made on the forums of the Nexus. A site that monetizes their work.

I recently had to log back in and after logging in the website took me a specific page telling me to buy a subscription. I seriously thought I got phished cause what the hell. Now the website points out "free" and "premium" downloads on every download with the little chart that shows you what you get for free and ALL THESE COOL BONUSES for buying a premium that makes me feel like I'm downloading pirated stuff off shady hosting websites. And then to top it off after all this and I'm finally getting my download it'll go "oh hey by the way why not give the author some money".

Monetization ruins everything.