Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The Spring Cleaning event is good in theory, but when you design everything around algorithms, it's hard for it to not be underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Oh hey, Observation is no longer an EGS exclusive and is 50% off. As far as Sci-Fi walking sims go, this is a pretty good one and would recommend.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906100/Observation/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Had the same choices. Just used SAM for them.

Then your first Steam title probably was The Orange Box as well.

I just picked the suggested titles that I knew were small downloads. Lost Coast ended up being the second biggest one at 4 gigs.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Blattdorf posted:

EVE Online …. It makes me want to add a third monitor to the setup.

Oh no.

Totally worth it though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
After all the chat in here I'm tempted by Troubleshooter.

One thing I'm not clear about it's whether you have a set number of missions (or something like XCOM where you have a counter that you can influence and progressively harder missions) or something with infinite sidemissions and grinding maps with a few hardcoded story missions, a la Battletech or Disgaea.

I'm not interested in very complex game that requires experimentation but where your options to power up are limited.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

First game: Secret of Monkey Island.
Second game: Dawn of War II
Third game: Mount & Blade

It's been so long I was honestly surprised by each one.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I feel like 90% of people's first steam games are either going to be half-life 1 or half-life 2.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I feel like 90% of people's first steam games are either going to be half-life 1 or half-life 2.

Keep believing that so you don't find out the truth and feel old.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
It says my first three games are Counterstrike, Team Fortress Classic, and Day of Defeat. 3 games that I got for free when I entered my cd key for Half-life. Pretty sure it also gave me Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and uhh Ricochet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Steam how exactly do you propose I play Savage Resurrection, a multiplayer only game so dead the company who made it no longer exists.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It is not yours to question the mighty Steam recommendation algorithm. It is only yours to obey.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeeeah, I thought it would be, but it picked Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, and the first Day of Defeat.

bentacos posted:

It says my first three games are Counterstrike, Team Fortress Classic, and Day of Defeat. 3 games that I got for free when I entered my cd key for Half-life. Pretty sure it also gave me Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and uhh Ricochet.

Oh hey! yeah me too, in that exact order. Game of the year edition does that to you, although last i checked Day of Defeat came out after that pack, so I have no idea why that's on my list

All this is reminding me that at one point a majority of us got our poo poo from Fileplanet, and Fileplanet itself broke for like a week when Day of Defeat 2.0 came out, everybody was downloading it

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 22, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Steam how exactly do you propose I play Savage Resurrection, a multiplayer only game so dead the company who made it no longer exists.

resurrect it??? idk

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

resurrect it??? idk

God I wish, I miss Savage so much.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Wait, is that Savage, that RTS like game where you're one of the units?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

jesus christ I've found an antique

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Fat Samurai posted:

After all the chat in here I'm tempted by Troubleshooter.

One thing I'm not clear about it's whether you have a set number of missions (or something like XCOM where you have a counter that you can influence and progressively harder missions) or something with infinite sidemissions and grinding maps with a few hardcoded story missions, a la Battletech or Disgaea.

I'm not interested in very complex game that requires experimentation but where your options to power up are limited.

I'm not very far in, but so far there are story missions you can only complete once, and sidemissions that can be repeated infinitely.

e: the power up options could be described as the very opposite of limited.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

8one6 posted:

Didn't one of the Gears of War games do that?

Fake Edit: Gears of War 4.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Brutal Legend of course.

:tipshat: thank

Pretty sure I have bruütal in the ol' backlog, maybe I should give it a spin sometime

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Always wanted to play that Skyrim Script Extender. Hell yeah.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i remember when people would brag about having low steam ids. i was up all night in college on the night steam was released, and my irc gaming buddies were talking about it having just came out. so i registered for steam in like the first hour or so that it was publicly available and so my steam id is something ridiculous like under 2500 when they were (still are?) issued sequentially. i remember jumping on a game of half life multiplayer because that was the only game on the entire platform and one of the players had steam id 7

Blattdorf posted:

Space Haven seems like a match made in Heaven for me. Although it's in Early Access, people are saying it's already a pretty solid experience all around. I might crack eventually and just give it a spin soon.

i like it so far. it's like a hybrid of Rimworld and FTL, with a very heavy focus on salvaging space junk so you can laboriously build and expand your ship. there's not a whole lot of content but the core loop is slow paced and meaty, it's not bad if you can tolerate a bit of early access jank

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 22, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Huh. So my first games were The Void, EYE: Divine Cybermancy and L.A. Noire. Eclectic collection, if nothing else. I didn't even remember that myself.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

double nine posted:

Mine is similar, except it's Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic, and Day of Defeat. I guess that's all stuff that came in the HL1 box when I bought it on the day Doom 3 came out.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Since Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games, I have to add my unnecessary $0.02.

I have ADHD. I can get lost in a paper bag. Hollow Knight's map system is slightly bad. The purchasable decals make it better but it needs a "You are here" pointer as well. If I entered a new area, my immediate priority was finding Cornelius. I'm really hoping Silksong has some QOL improvements for that part.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

The purchasable decals make it better but it needs a "You are here" pointer as well.

it's the Wayward Compass charm

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

double nine posted:

Mine's exactly the same homie :hfive:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

I see Trashbird is spreading his wings.

Space Haven seems like a match made in Heaven for me. Although it's in Early Access, people are saying it's already a pretty solid experience all around. I might crack eventually and just give it a spin soon.

I've also gotten into EVE Online now that I can actually move the spreadsheets away from the main monitor. The game got a bad rep for this, but on the other hand if you are on a multi-monitor setup, you owe it to yourself to at least fire the game up and fly around for a bit. On a single screen, the game looks quite good, but when you pass by a planet and its massive size bleeds across the monitors, there's something majestic about the sight. It makes me want to add a third monitor to the setup.

I'm digging Space Haven as well. Right now I think it's missing a little of the 'oomph' that the games that it draws inspiration from have - like it just seems to have less personality than Rimworld, I feel a little disconnected from my characters (I think a big part of it is the sound design, in Rimworld you can pretty clearly hear what colonists are up to even when they're not on-screen, in Space Haven I'm not noticing any really distinct sounds) but based on the first showing I have a lot of hope for improvements throughout EA and it's still pretty fun to play right now.

It's a bit like what The Spatials was going for which was a cool idea that never got over the "hollow" feeling of EA

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's a bit like what The Spatials was going for which was a cool idea that never got over the "hollow" feeling of EA

I wanted to like The Spatials so much. Good to know there's something that feels better right out of the gate.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Irritated Goat posted:

Since Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games, I have to add my unnecessary $0.02.

I have ADHD. I can get lost in a paper bag. Hollow Knight's map system is slightly bad. The purchasable decals make it better but it needs a "You are here" pointer as well. If I entered a new area, my immediate priority was finding Cornelius. I'm really hoping Silksong has some QOL improvements for that part.

Actually, there is a decal for exactly that (though it has to be equipped as an accessory and takes up an item slot as such.) Maybe it was added to the game later, idk. I still have trouble with the map.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I know it's a few years old at this point, but just picked up Furi after seeing dunkey mention it in a video, and it's really fun.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
What even are these Steam spring cleaning event things where they just want you to play games in your library? They just want you to get dumb badges?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I got into Steam way long after most people

Never finished Overlord too but definitely not going back that memory lane either.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

What even are these Steam spring cleaning event things where they just want you to play games in your library? They just want you to get dumb badges?

There's a lot of people who their only joy in life is collectibles and they will do all sorts of nonsense tasks to get them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Internet Explorer posted:

There's a lot of people who their only joy in life is collectibles and they will do all sorts of nonsense tasks to get them.

Post your Steam library size.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Welcome to being old and/or depressed.
But old people love sidescrollers and depressed people love Hollow Knight!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Hwurmp posted:

it's the Wayward Compass charm

Oh yeah. I kept it off cause I needed the slot. :sigh:

Plebby Quest is on Game Pass.

It seems OK. The combat part isn't really clicking for me.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I got into Steam way long after most people

Never finished Overlord too but definitely not going back that memory lane either.

Was curious what mine were and a little let down when it was unsurprisingly just HL2, CS:S, HL:S.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Why yes, I did buy the Orange Box why'd you ask?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

luxury handset posted:

i remember when people would brag about having low steam ids. i was up all night in college on the night steam was released, and my irc gaming buddies were talking about it having just came out. so i registered for steam in like the first hour or so that it was publicly available and so my steam id is something ridiculous like under 2500 when they were (still are?) issued sequentially. i remember jumping on a game of half life multiplayer because that was the only game on the entire platform and one of the players had steam id 7

Same and I remember being pissy about it and refusing to make one for the first couple days so mine is only 5 digits XD

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Post your Steam library size.

welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Zerilan posted:

I know it's a few years old at this point, but just picked up Furi after seeing dunkey mention it in a video, and it's really fun.

I have it through Twitch and just installed it. I don't know how I'll react, but I want to check out the visuals and soundtrack at least.
-
Mine were CS: OG, Condition Zero, and Deleted Scenes. Bahahaha. I remember playing the heck out of those. It came with... Source, I believe. (Steam says I didn't get Source until 2008.) Woah. Man, remember CD's? I maybe use my disc drive once a year.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 22, 2020