Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Day 8: Story

Music: story 2

What would you do if one of your subordinates… Who is harvesting energy from an Abnormality to meet the quota… Shall face certain death doing so?

I wonder which one she thinks is the right answer, you guys. :geno:

>We must continue producing energy.

However, it comes very close. The truest answer would be “to harvest enough energy before such a situation could arise.”

That wasn't one of the answers! :argh:

Lobotomy Corporation is an industry giant, and its mission to produce energy is our top priority. You do seem to listen to my words.

I literally just talked about why I can't afford to do that. :colbert:

---

>I’ll save the employee.

The manager's role is to oversee energy production, and that only. You are not here to take care of the employees.

Lobotomy Corporation is an industry giant, and its mission to produce energy is our top priority. It was such a simple question for me, however, mayhaps not for you. If I were human…

Is what I would have said. Please do not worry, I will not make such a statement.

---

Routes Merge Here

In summary: Angela wishes to make sure we understand what's really important: energy gathering, even if it kills our agents. Ideally we won't ever be in a position where it matters, but if it ever does: agents are replaceable and must die to grease the wheels of the business. :capitalism:

Music: The 6th Light

Just how incompetent do we seem, if 'doing four instinct works' is beyond expectations? :raise:

Allow me to explain your next—

How many times has it been now?

Shouldn’t you… be at your team’s side? It looked super depressing over there.

Accidents happen. I want them to understand that it’s not a big fuss. Dwelling on it only encourages them to cry more, and it will eventually tire them out.

Perhaps your aim is different from mine, then. I see no point in being sentimental. Caring too much about the respect of employees or the little complaints they make will steer you away from what’s truly important.

Well, I’m just saying… I guess there’s no right answer, is there? We’re both busy, so I’ll see you later!

>Yes, you should.

Do you think it’s realistic for you to show up in every department every single time an accident occurs? You, the man who spends the whole day incessantly watching employees die through that shiny monitor of yours?

...oof. :(

Such shallow sympathy does no good in the corporation, so I urge you to be rid of it.

---

>No, it’s not a necessity.

We're not the ones whose lives are on the line. We don’t live with the risk of every moment possibly being the last. Nor are we always so close to death’s touch as to not have any attachment to life or worldly values. I disagree with the way Hod copes with it. She just seeks to comfort her own mind and turns a blind eye to reality.

:monocle: My god. That's the most sensible thing we've heard since we got here. You might be alright, Yesod.

---

Routes Merge Here

In summary: Yesod and Hod disagree with how to deal with employee deaths. Hod thinks that he should say something to try and raise morale, but Yesod thinks that's a waste of time he could spend on avoiding more deaths in the future.

That aside, let's take a look at our new mission!

It's another easy one, just have to remember not to end the day too early on accident.

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: One of the most terrifying Abnormalities in the entire game.

Ah, before you go Yesod?

Yes?

You'd be the one in charge of holding on to application records, right?

That's correct.

Cool. Forward all the resumes we've received for all positions in the past 60 days to my desk.

That could take some time, Manager. Is there anything specific you're looking for?

...Nah. Just want to see who we have available to hire. You don't need to arrange anything, just forward it all in bulk.

I understand. I'll have a clerk bring the documents over right away.

Try to keep them away from any falling wrenches, okay? :v:

That's not funny, manager. :geno:

Er. Right. Sorry.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Zetsubou-san posted:

That's Unity!! :v:

specifically this option right here:

which just tries to cram all the text into the space dedicated for that text element as it is rendered. Couple that with UI elements not really designed for fat English words and flyspeck 3 happens.

I remember you mentioned this earlier, and it does explain a whole lot. Especially so since when agents are in the hallways rather than main rooms, everything is shrunk even further (text included) and it just gets absurd to read the tiny text.

All I can say at this point is that I obsessively check over the thread on mobile and ~3 other computers to make sure everything looks alright, because I'm paranoid about everything looking off or being too small. I'm really sorry if the text is still too tiny in places. :sweatdrop:

Fat Samurai posted:

One very annoying thing in this game is that you have to pay LOB to change your pawns appearance and name. 1 LOB isn't much, but it's the principle of the thing.

Agreed. I understand why it's there (since it's technically a buff for reasons that will become apparent WAY later) but it's still completely unnecessary. This is why it was the first thing I modded out for the LP. Without doing that, this entire thread wouldn't have worked. :v:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

What the gently caress? Yesod and Hod having a difference of opinion, and both of them have opinions that a perfectly sane person could have? Are we playing the same game anymore?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

TeeQueue posted:

Cool. Forward all the resumes we've received for all positions in the past 60 days to my desk.

That could take some time, Manager. Is there anything specific you're looking for?

...Nah. Just want to see who we have available to hire. You don't need to arrange anything, just forward it all in bulk.

Interpreting this as a cue to sign up! Ready to die do some above-board science.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Really glad for this thread! Thank you so much for introducing me to this game. It turned out way more interesting and clever than I anticipated and I've bought both Lobcorp and the sequel with absolutely no regrets beyond being bad at video games.

Also sign me up! I look forward to throwing my life away in the pursuit of a megacorp's quota!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Managers who care but can't save you (from the evil CEO?). The darkest horror.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ratoslov posted:

What the gently caress? Yesod and Hod having a difference of opinion, and both of them have opinions that a perfectly sane person could have? Are we playing the same game anymore?

Yeah, that was real weird. And interesting.

On seeing a penalty for ending the day with breached abnormalities, I can't help but think of the agents struggling in epic, desperate battle against some world-ending horror when the clock rings, both they and the awfulness look at their time cards, shrug, and punch out.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Ah, Lobotomy Corporation. I'm fairly sure it's been mentioned a few times (agents even talk about it!) but Lobotomy Corporation is considered to be one of the best corporations in the entire world, yet have very low requirements for getting a job there. Suspiciously low..........................

I mean it'd be suspicious if Angela wasn't just straight up saying she doesn't care if anyone dies, just grind them in to the anomalies for the energy gain.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

On seeing a penalty for ending the day with breached abnormalities, I can't help but think of the agents struggling in epic, desperate battle against some world-ending horror when the clock rings, both they and the awfulness look at their time cards, shrug, and punch out.

I believe the game actually has a justification for why this happens. I'm not sure if it qualifies as spoilers or is even said in plaintext, but it is something that is addressed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TeeQueue posted:

Do you think it’s realistic for you to show up in every department every single time an accident occurs? You, the man who spends the whole day incessantly watching employees die through that shiny monitor of yours?
gently caress you, Yesod, almost no employee* dies* on my watch.

*Clerks don't count.
*Without me resetting the day, thus forcing get to go through the same poo poo again.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Of course it's not realistic for me to show up Yesod, that's why I outsource my displays of compassion to my underlings, namely: you. Now get out there and pretend to care.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Night10194 posted:

"See you tomorrow, Ralph."

"See you tomorrow, Sam."

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

All I can say at this point is that I obsessively check over the thread on mobile and ~3 other computers to make sure everything looks alright, because I'm paranoid about everything looking off or being too small. I'm really sorry if the text is still too tiny in places. :sweatdrop:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. That's just the reality of dealing with some games that weren't designed with English as the primary language. The only thing I could even think to try is some of the AI Upscaling for some of the tinier images. Even that doesn't turn out super well though for the really small stuff. Like you said, it tends to make the images much worse (although not as bad as just blowing them up).

For example:

That being said, I haven't had too many problems aside from the far zoom shots of the base where you can end up with some REALLY tiny text, but I think that's mostly just flavor stuff and a log of previous actions?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Sure I'll throw some assholes in.

Really enjoying this, incidentally. I'm too much a perfectionist in games like this and I don't think I could stomach the constant failures I'd run into, so watching you play is quite fun.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Also tossing someone into the grinder.

I've gotta say, I've really been loving this LP. You've been hitting a great balance between information and humor.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Worth noting that in this update angela and yesod are both advocating the same thing. Their message being that the only moral goal, and subsequently your job in this situation is to gather the energy quickly and efficiently enough to avoid any accidents or other moral decisions

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Namtab posted:

Worth noting that in this update angela and yesod are both advocating the same thing. Their message being that the only moral goal, and subsequently your job in this situation is to gather the energy quickly and efficiently enough to avoid any accidents or other moral decisions

But also, if a moral decision ever does come up- unlikely as it is!- you know, pick energy.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Namtab posted:

Yeah but Yesod gives off more of an air of caring (although perhaps abstractly) about morals and the hypocrisy of offering hollow condolences while operating a meat grinder, whereas Angela gives the vibe of, hmmmm... not understanding any reasoning that wouldn't fit entirely within the company handbook, is the best way to say it. While she might brag about being more advanced and thus more stable, she also gives the impression of being the most programmed, in a way.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

We haven't even met my favorite Sephirot yet and I'm still a big fan of both Hod and Yesod, they make good contrasts to Angela and totally forgettable Control lass.

serefin99 posted:

Also tossing someone into the grinder.

I'm actually triggered by this.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I accidentally managed to create a monster of an employee who pretty much got me through a situation where I was all about ready to give up.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yesod and Hod are surprisingly good people considering their surroundings.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Hey guys! It's thread input time!

So I've been getting the nametags so far by just cropping the name out of the agent's status bar in a 70x20 thing. However, we're unlocking health bars next episode and that necessitates a change in how I do nametags. So, two options:

Option one is I keep doing what I've been doing and crop from the healthbar. This would result in everyone's tag changing to a shiny red background:

I've tried just painting black around the word, and it doesn't look great, so option two is 'Figure out a thing I can do in photoshop to quickly set up new nametags as I need them,' which will keep them as yellow-on-black. The format might still change slightly, but the basic idea would be to keep it looking closer to this:

Any input on this would be appreciated, I'm mostly concerned with the red color being a little eyesearing on the SA background.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Personally, I think the black bars are much nicer to look at.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Black looks better to me.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Yeah, definitely black.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Black works for me.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
To make it really easy, the font used for those nameplates is Norwester

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I always refer back to this to find the fonts, tbh.

Really seems like it'll be staying black though. I've got a bit of time before it matters, so I'll be sure to test whatever I make before changing over to it.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Black is the new, erm, black.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to be contrarian and say that the red seems to be easier for you, so do the red.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

No, black is good. Stick with the black.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Black looks a little better, but! I'd rather have more LP if the process is going to be more stress and work ongoing. (As oppossed to making nametags in a few quiet periods and not having to do it again.)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I will change my vote to whatever is easier for you to handle.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I use my browser's dark mode so red and black both look fine to me, go with whatever's easier for you.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
I'm going to vote whichever you prefer.

It's a non-issue to me. I think the black looks slightly nicer, but adding more requirements onto a screenshot LP (which is already time consuming) doesn't make much sense to me either.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zengetsu posted:

I'm going to vote whichever you prefer.

It's a non-issue to me. I think the black looks slightly nicer, but adding more requirements onto a screenshot LP (which is already time consuming) doesn't make much sense to me either.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I think the red is kinda pleasant, so I'll vote for that.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

I'd think that either way using the tag an as actual HP/SP meter would give room for you to utilize the visual medium as a comedic element for surreal dialogue when agents are injured or Weird poo poo is happening.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'm gonna vote black because it's much easier to make out at a glance than the red is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

silentsnack posted:

I'd think that either way using the tag an as actual HP/SP meter would give room for you to utilize the visual medium as a comedic element for surreal dialogue when agents are injured or Weird poo poo is happening.

That one isn't happening, since as interesting as the idea may be having more than one nametag for each character is just asking for me to confuse everything. I can barely remember not to send someone with the Laetitia heart to another cell, after all. :v: