Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know how the contact tracing thing is going to work given that I don't bring my phone anywhere and it's, like, ten years old at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cool so I'm furloughed but apparently not getting my first payment until the 13th which is really helpful considering I was getting paid weekly

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Prince John posted:

It's hard enough to connect with people properly over zoom though. Having video compensates for this significantly by letting you read people's emotions better and also makes it less likely you'll talk over each other. We've found it pretty nice in our team to see everyone, especially during the period of hardcore lockdown when human interaction was fairly minimal. Zoom even lets you hide your gooncave with a virtual background so it's pretty unobtrusive.

yeah, I sort of understand that but it's basically just a group call with 20 people where they tell us things that are so important I can't even remember a single one to give as an example, so there's not much emotional connection going on.

although these are the people who voluntarily did a quiz with work people when there was literally no social pressure to do so, so maybe it's the only emotional connection they get

I actually wouldn't mind putting it on for my smaller group meetings, and I obviously put it on when I chat to my friends for exactly that reason (plus most of them lived with me for several years so I don't think anything they might potentially see would shock them)

also my PC isn't good enough to do virtual background without a green screen and my laptop is v broken so it has to stay very very still or possibly die forever so I can't reposition myself against a wall or something, but fortunately due to the angle of my webcam you can't see the goon caviness of my goon cave so I'm not particularly concerned about that

I did have to change out of my pajamas tho

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

happyhippy posted:

The story for years was that GW were involved in some way, then Blizzard retconned it that 'nuhuh we thought of it ourselves'.

The Warhammer old world is just a rip off of Gloranttha anyway.

In aome alternate universe where GW continued Chaosium’s license, about a third of computer games are derivatives of King of Dragon Pass.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What disgusting feculant do you people have in your bedrooms/lounges that needs to be hidden by a virtual background?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know how the contact tracing thing is going to work given that I don't bring my phone anywhere and it's, like, ten years old at least?

Won't work with mine either. I don't take my 'smart' phone out to play because it's dying and when the battery gets below 65% (which it does very quickly) it just stops. That's with the new battery too so I think it's the phone itself. The only reason I have it is to be like a 'mini computer' if I am trying to stay offline but need to check email or whatsapp occasionally (or post on here sometimes). Once I put the laptop on, my day is lost.

My everyday normal phone that noone is ever going to want to steal is a Nokia 101 dual sim that I bought abroad maybe 8 years ago and it does calls, texts and FM radio and has a couple of games on it. Does absolutely NOTHING internet, no apps, no camera, doesn't even receive MMS messages

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

What disgusting feculant do you people have in your bedrooms/lounges that needs to be hidden by a virtual background?

ISIS dildo flag

My virtual background is also the ISIS dildo flag tho

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Just heard on the radio from the lady who organised the first clap for carers saying it should end next week (10th time) and instead the government should give proper recognition to people's efforts using more traditional mechanisms such as wages and providing safe working conditions. I don't think this will happen because as with so many things it has been coopted by the worst people in society, hollowed out and turned into a mockery of what was originally intended

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:ghost:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

stev posted:

idk the only things I wouldn't really want work to see are usually just some beer cans I haven't put in the recycling yet, but mostly I didn't want to turn my camera on because I had just got out of bed and haven't trimmed my beard in weeks

I do want to play around with the backgrounds because they look fun though, if I turn it on atm its basically just a ghostly image of me on top of whatever the picture is

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that... already a cycle lane?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

idk the only things I wouldn't really want work to see are usually just some beer cans I haven't put in the recycling yet, but mostly I didn't want to turn my camera on because I had just got out of bed and haven't trimmed my beard in weeks

I do want to play around with the backgrounds because they look fun though, if I turn it on atm its basically just a ghostly image of me on top of whatever the picture is

I downloaded some nice backgrounds from airbnb and trimmed out the 'airbnb' logo. Was on a family zoom a couple of weeks back and one extended family person thought I really was up a mountain in a pod and asked quite seriously if I ran holidays.

And I also have some nice library ones for when I want to give off a general air of swottiness.

As I only moved into my flat just before Xmas and have been doing bits and pieces, with everything on hold since March, my living room is all industrial shelves and temporary 'coffee tables' made out of a stack of collapsible crates and so on until someone significantly more capable than me with a drill and nails can come and erect proper shelves.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

OwlFancier posted:

Indeed. And imagine, a whole MILE per week. How's it take that long to put cones down the side of an existing cycle lane? Of course said cones are going to be annoying with the cycle lane generally being full of the crap that accumulates at the side of a road that you sometimes need to try to avoid.

The main advantage of cones is that they should stop cars parking in it. The 'cycle lane' from mine into town is parked up constantly.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think so. There's a couple of places like that near me with no cycle lane markings.

I hope the extent of the 'new' cycle lanes which have been announced near me isn't just coning off the side of the road.

e: all the conservative councilers here voted against new walking and cycling infrastructure lol. thankfully there's not enough of them to stop it happening.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 22, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weird markings then. Maybe it was a cycle lane but they took the cycle lane markings down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

stev posted:

I don't turn my camera on because I don't have one. Technically my work laptop does, but I run it through my own monitor and the lid is down.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think it's fine not to use a camera for a long boring work call. I can listen to people talking and do other things perfectly well without having to sit there staring the camera.

Also people should use push to talk. I was listening to a sky sports football podcast yesterday and all you could hear in the background was heavy breathing/sighing/coughing from the people not talking but with their mics still active.

I'm guessing the ukmt podcast is more professional than that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

"Nationalised."

I've nationalised this reply.

(Except unlike THE HARD LEFT not without the compensation of a credit to Alice)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

"Nationalised."

Can you believe that tweet has dozens of replies and not a single one of them is this?

e: ^^ well i guess it is now

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
In latest, "the government are shits" news, a friend of mine works on the central .gov.uk website. He told me yesterday that he and all his colleagues are super-worried, as the purpose of the site was changing. Its original purpose was (genuinely!) to help people, and they used analytics etc. to work out what help people were looking for, and then tailored the content to help them as much as possible. However, since lockdown, it's basically turned into another government disinformation engine; they're being told what to write by No10, and are being forced to publish outright lies (I'd list some here, but I don't want it to be traced back to him in case there's any trouble).

He's pretty miserable, and says that it's genuinely starting to feel like they're creating fascist progaganda.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Sleepy Joe is probably going to announce Robert Kennedy or Corn Pop as his running mate. Given his very obvious rate of mental decline and that Trump is boasting about poisoning himself it's possible it could be a very different election in November
Wait wait wait!

What if this pandemic is what covfefe was all about?

Q is real :tinfoil:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The Perfect Element posted:

In latest, "the government are shits" news, a friend of mine works on the central .gov.uk website. He told me yesterday that he and all his colleagues are super-worried, as the purpose of the site was changing. Its original purpose was (genuinely!) to help people, and they used analytics etc. to work out what help people were looking for, and then tailored the content to help them as much as possible. However, since lockdown, it's basically turned into another government disinformation engine; they're being told what to write by No10, and are being forced to publish outright lies (I'd list some here, but I don't want it to be traced back to him in case there's any trouble).

He's pretty miserable, and says that it's genuinely starting to feel like they're creating fascist progaganda.

They're an information platform for the government, what the gently caress did they think was going to happen when push came to shove?

Also get them to whistleblow or unionise and strike over their content.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I live about a mile from southend seafront- for the third day in a row, tourists are parking up on my street to go to the beach, and every road between the front and here is full, people doing laps to try and find spaces.

I think there are limits to how much excuse "the government/media are crap/complicit" can provide, gently caress these complacent idiots

Saw an interview where a woman had driven down 3 hours from leicester because she "had to get my energy from the sea". She should park on my road, she can have a couple of used AA's through her front windshield free of charge

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
You what?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've nationalised this reply.

(Except unlike THE HARD LEFT not without the compensation of a credit to Alice)

If by that you mean you tweeted it as a response, you're welcome to it. I can't respond to tweets from my phone.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

you had me at "pick tired limbs and aching muscles" gotta get me in on some of this!!!

Edit: Never mind that website redirects to https://tenor.com/view/bogeys-bogies-iain-duncan-smith-ian-duncan-smith-tories-gif-14967074

Well played, well played

Edit2: turns out it is real, and pickforbritian.org.uk redirects to that. I misspelled it. :doh:

Edit3:

:allears:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 22, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Pick below minimum wage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's straight up fascist propaganda material, if you didn't realise it. Suffering for the state is just another way to make ordinary people feel like heroes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If you're furloughed you can still go pick for britain if your employer allows it. Jose can be our inside man, can't you Jose

*daily sport article about someone prolapsing on a farm after getting too busy with the produce*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

https://twitter.com/IrvineWelsh/status/1263514223876939780?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
the only picking i want to see britain doing is picking a competent government HEYOOOOOOOOOOO

:smith:

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

I will invent a fully automated fruit picking machine that will murder landowners at an unprecedented rate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pick your nose.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol at their video, all but the first and last one don't sound like they're particularly loving it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RX_9qISj-c

also the first one is Frankie dettoris son so probably isn't doing it for the cash

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sounds like the perfect place to hide some genuine advice that only pops up if you're browing from a machine to that's not connected to a government network.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

But how will they ensure that people staying there from different households are social distancing?

Oh

Silly me - the answer is ‘loopholes’, because of course it is.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

have him leak to the guardian (i know i know, but there isn't much alternative press to go to)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Red Oktober posted:

Buses To Be Considered "Households" To Defeat Coronavirus, Says Minister

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

have him leak to the guardian (i know i know, but there isn't much alternative press to go to)

Maybe Buzzfeed or Novaramedia? Though I think I read some of those guys - I forget which one - are getting made redundant.

Buzzfeed reported on leaked emails from labour showing how McNicol etc subverted the anti-semitism complaints process almost a year before the labour leaked report. (https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/leaked-emails-reveal-labours-compliance-unit-took-months-to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Red Oktober posted:

But how will they ensure that people staying there from different households are social distancing?

Oh

I mean if you're all trapped together on a farm in the middle of nowhere and can't leave I suppose that makes sense

other highlights of that faq are that you will be paid at most least minimum wage and they'll only charge you exactly up to £52.85 to live in a caravan with a bunch of other people who may or may not have the virus, which is "good value for the private sector"!

also no mention of food being covered, which implies it isn't so who knows how much will get deducted for that on top

although I suppose you can always pop down to the pub for tea, or maybe walk down to the local Tesco express