Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Communist Thoughts posted:

Isn't bort the bro of the guy who (along with everyone else) ruined the whole project and then also someone's fiance or wife turned up?

What a saga

The thread saga is better than the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Finish the game and put this whole thread on dwarfnet but replace all references to The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa with "Angelique: Tenkuu no Chikonka 2"

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Maybe the game is still in development and this whole thing is just part of the meta narrative. That would be so barnsley

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
When does the strategy guide available?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
How much does the help hotline charge per minute?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

That bort post also has my personal favourite quote from this thread, and this project really.

lordosis_gamer posted:

“good design” (blech)

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 20, 2020

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I’ve heard that there are people still working on this game

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Truecon420 posted:

bort's brother pulls out his ccopy of "Game Programming for Dummies" and blows a comically huge cloud of dust off of it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

I've heard some hot rumors about barkley four!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Barkley FOREVER

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
https://youtu.be/tPSvAwRdaeA

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't get over how barkley's special ultimate power is the same one as kirito gets in sword art online.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

You son of a bitch, Jordan!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

lordosis_gamer posted:

GZ, I understand you are upset and understandably so. I think your current perception is inaccurate. If you seriously want to the game to thrive, please just go ahead and start working. “I quit; the game is dead; I’m the game’s only hope; I need to tell everyone how someone else ruined the game” is a strange position for the game. You have the repo. Start working. Don’t talk to bhroom. Steal it for all I care. You will never hear me say he did a great job managing this game.

This part of the post makes me lol so much. "You don't like how my brother is managing the game? Well then do all the work you were doing for free, then! That'll really show us!"

Vipershark
Nov 13, 2010
it seems really unfair that frankie spent all that time and effort making literal thousands of sprites only for nothing to come of it
not that everyone else didn't put in time and effort as well but he was literally working towards nothing, long after everyone else stopped

i hope it paid well

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Arrrthritis posted:

This part of the post makes me lol so much. "You don't like how my brother is managing the game? Well then do all the work you were doing for free, then! That'll really show us!"

Considering how much of Barkley's humor is built around joking about weird internet subcultures and fandoms it's frankly unreal that the sequel died with a literal Kokoro Wish post.

Vipershark posted:

it seems really unfair that frankie spent all that time and effort making literal thousands of sprites only for nothing to come of it
not that everyone else didn't put in time and effort as well but he was literally working towards nothing, long after everyone else stopped

i hope it paid well

As much as people make fun of Jonathan Blow, maybe there is something to waiting until your game is totally completed top to bottom before hiring someone to make good graphics to replace your programmer art.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Seeing that comic again is like being gutted with a psychic machete

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Arrrthritis posted:

I agree, it's a classic.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

When doed Bark Dunkem 4ever come out?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
can't wait for dingletopia: nation under siege (by orcs) to come out to see some HOT dwarf on orc action

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Sleeveless posted:

Considering how much of Barkley's humor is built around joking about weird internet subcultures and fandoms it's frankly unreal that the sequel died with a literal Kokoro Wish post.

As much as people make fun of Jonathan Blow, maybe there is something to waiting until your game is totally completed top to bottom before hiring someone to make good graphics to replace your programmer art.

The woman who made this is like 60-something now lol.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

What was the background of this comic

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vipershark posted:

i hope it paid well

Yeah, part of why I was excited for barkley 2 was the graphics were sooo good looking, and the music was awesome.

AT least frankie's making his own game now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Uncle Wemus posted:

What was the background of this comic

A woman named Jennifer Diane Reitz who owned a gaming website in the mid-90s made it big by selling it right before the dotcom bubble burst and became a millionaire as a result and got to retire in her 30s and spend her days drawing webcomics and basically living the weeaboo dream. Since she was openly a transwoman and in a polyamorous relationship a bunch of gross dudes spent the first half of the 00s stalking and harassing her for incredibly lovely reasons, one of the sagas of that time was her coming up with the typical pie-in-the-sky game idea of an impossibly complex and huge in scope RPG. Since she didn't know how to code she tasked her partner with making it, and when he was unable to deliver and explained that it was basically impossible she vented by drawing a comic strip of him apologizing to her for failing her.

"My Kokoro Wish" is basically old internet shorthand for a person refusing to acknowledge their unrealistic expectations in a creative project and/or projecting all these shortcomings on the inability of others to make the impossible happen for them.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 22, 2020

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

did they ever release the source like they said they would

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They didn't like they said they wouldn't.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
How's the progress going on that Git?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like jello tonight. What flavor cube should I get

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like jello tonight. What flavor cube should I get
Insulin

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Original_Z posted:

How's the progress going on that Git?

great, and don't call me git

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sleeveless posted:

A woman named Jennifer Diane Reitz who owned a gaming website in the mid-90s made it big by selling it right before the dotcom bubble burst and became a millionaire as a result and got to retire in her 30s and spend her days drawing webcomics and basically living the weeaboo dream. Since she was openly a transwoman and in a polyamorous relationship a bunch of gross dudes spent the first half of the 00s stalking and harassing her for incredibly lovely reasons, one of the sagas of that time was her coming up with the typical pie-in-the-sky game idea of an impossibly complex and huge in scope RPG. Since she didn't know how to code she tasked her partner with making it, and when he was unable to deliver and explained that it was basically impossible she vented by drawing a comic strip of him apologizing to her for failing her.

"My Kokoro Wish" is basically old internet shorthand for a person refusing to acknowledge their unrealistic expectations in a creative project and/or projecting all these shortcomings on the inability of others to make the impossible happen for them.

im dying holy poo poo

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

im dying holy poo poo

the internet is magical

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

She resurfaced very briefly in the early 2010s when she won a minecraft texture pack contest and immediately got outed as having built it entirely out of stolen assets

Also supposedly she and her partners spent much of their happypuppy windfall on anime merch, like hundreds of thousands of dollars worth

Also check out transsexual.org sometime if you want to :stare: at an incredible waste of a presumably very valuable domain (also it's full of weird pseudoscience and a lot of trans people cite it as something that messed them up when they stumbled across it while they were still figuring poo poo out)

Cool lady.

Bargly

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 24, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the promise has been made

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I, Dracula: Genesis looks kinda like what Barkley 2 was going for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-Pxb86W20

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Rewatched a playthrough of the demo and it made me realize that without the characters being NBA stars the bleak life of the slums was mostly just depressing.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Uncle Wemus posted:

I, Dracula: Genesis looks kinda like what Barkley 2 was going for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-Pxb86W20

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Only played like an hour, but digging it so far. The art is loving fantastic

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

this could have been us

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I Dracula seems like it's good but the way dungeons or whatever are divided into little cells linked by zippy transporters looks unappealing in a way I can't properly articulate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Less like exploring a dungeon, more like being ferried through a rail shooter? It seems like a significant break in immersion anyway.
I agree it looks really nice but I don't think it would be my cup of tea.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 1, 2020