Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Oh holy poo poo, that's Geek Love Katherine Dunn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Yeah, I still gotta read that. It has been recommended to me many, many times.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It's worth your time.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I remember that my ex-wife had a copy of that "Death Scenes" book that she got while working at Tower Records. I didn't realize that it was edited by Sean Tejaratchi, although I know he did a bunch of work for Feral House.

Thanks for noticing the placement. I forget where I first heard about Death Scenes, it was during a time that I was on a real James Ellroy tear. I ended up buying it for use in a Call Of Cthulhu game I was running.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

What? Oh, Liartown. I was momentarily excited by the prospect of a book about the Long Island Railroad.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I really love this thread.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

gleebster posted:

What? Oh, Liartown. I was momentarily excited by the prospect of a book about the Long Island Railroad.

It always comes back to trains.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Here's a couple more. I picked up The Ice Cream War at a used bookstore somewhere in Mississippi . Before I worked in mental health I studied history. My concentration was the First World War and I'd never seen a historical novel about the war in German Africa. Look into that campaign if you haven't. It's a good read...some comedic elements, some tragedy.

I really, really, really like the work of Seymour Chwast. I first saw his Homer's Odyssey at the library, I read it cover to cover on the spot. It illustrates the Odyssey in the style of the classic space action serials of the 30s like Flash Gordon, Radar Men From The Moon and (shudder) Star Trek: Voyager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVrvt4WuIM

This is another treasure from the giveaway bins...this is the sort of typing book I learned to key with! Walked out of my local used bookshop, did a cursory glance at the bins and snatched it. I still remember sitting in the typing class in middle school and the rhythm of every machine hitting the same letters at the same time.

If you can't make it out it says Pete Alexson, Rochester School District, Monroe County NY

Pershing fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 30, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
wrong thread

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 3, 2020

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Here is a story about a wild turkey assault that I learned about from the schadenfreude thread:

DiabloNachos
Apr 10, 2020

Comrade Koba posted:

Please tell me this is just a bunch of blank pages glued together. :allears:
(He was commenting on the book about The Humor of George Bush the first)
You jest, but when Carter was running for president, there was a book that was published called "The wit and humor of Jimmy Carter" and that book was all blank pages, with one comment in the back "He's working on it".

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

If only we listened....

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Salvaged this when they were cleaning out the psychiatrist's office next door...taught me that the idiom of "pour cold water on (something)" is in part a reference to a treatment method for hysteria.

Back cover:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

That is awesome! "Congenital imbecility" is my new favorite term.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

This but it's all the seasons of Simpsons references

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Kinda wanna read that Sex Tech book ngl

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
y'all are in for a frontpage treat on tuesday, that's all i'm saying

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I was supposed to be getting married in NYC this weekend, but instead I'll be stuck at home reading this book:

I am looking forward to it!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

y'all are in for a frontpage treat on tuesday, that's all i'm saying

What was this about?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

What was this about?

PHIZ KALIFA managed to interview Phil Elmore, the author of Street Swords and Flashlight Fighting. It's like Christmas in June!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

this is kinda in poor taste given all of the everything going on, but, uh, this was more fun than i expected: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/street-senpai/

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
for how bad his politics are i was expecting him to Take Umbrage to my, uh, self, but I guess sufficient decades of unrelenting internet-dunkage have tempered his ego somewhat.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

for how bad his politics are i was expecting him to Take Umbrage to my, uh, self, but I guess sufficient decades of unrelenting internet-dunkage have tempered his ego somewhat.

I'm impressed that you went through the effort to reach out to him. That brings a smile to my face!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the first post on his blog was asking for a writing job, and he listed his e-mail. it felt cruel, almost?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I work in a museum and we're building up our technical reference book library. I bought this book from Powell's and aside from having a great name, it turned out to be an early signed copy. I love the name of the man, "Dick Smith" although I'm not sure if that's a name or his job title.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

mikerock posted:

I work in a museum and we're building up our technical reference book library. I bought this book from Powell's and aside from having a great name, it turned out to be an early signed copy. I love the name of the man, "Dick Smith" although I'm not sure if that's a name or his job title.

This is rad!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The new issue of Mad is a tribute to Al Jaffee, who is retiring at 99.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here are a few new things:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Oh, and this:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Jesus Christ, sniglets. I haven't thought about that (or Rich Hall) since I was little.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pershing posted:

Jesus Christ, sniglets. I haven't thought about that (or Rich Hall) since I was little.

Yeah, those Sniglets books were almost as ubiquitous as those little Far Side softcover collections during the mid-to-late 1980's. There was even a Sniglets board game.

Shockingly, I don't own any Sniglets books, but that's only because I haven't seen any cheap copies in used books stores during the past couple of decades.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I saw this book at the Jamestown, Virginia gift shop when I was there last September and thought it looked interesting:

I got a few new books for my birthday from my fiance. She didn't realize I already had this one, but I like the hardcover better anyway, so I'll probably donate the copy I already bought.

I love this woodcut. Especially the ducks in the background.

This one is almost 1,000 pages, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far:

This was in the free pile at my apartment complex:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
scouting collectors are bigger geeks than railfans and model railway dorks combined. (PS, do not confuse those two fandoms to a member, they will correct you) i was at an order of the arrow event and someone mentioned having a stack of misprinted council patches up for trade and there was a literal stampede.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bweep boop!
Dec 31, 2007

Nice shootin', Tex!
Been a while since I got anything worth posting, but after two months wait I finally received my (damaged) copy of Voluptuous Panic which I understood to be a great companion piece to Hollywood Babylon. I'll go through it eventually and maybe share the more interesting pages if there is interest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bweep boop! posted:

Been a while since I got anything worth posting, but after two months wait I finally received my (damaged) copy of Voluptuous Panic which I understood to be a great companion piece to Hollywood Babylon. I'll go through it eventually and maybe share the more interesting pages if there is interest.

Nice! I've never read that. Keep us posted.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My collection has grown again. Please help, I can't stop

Franklin Press edition of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy:

Signed first edition of The Last Emperox. I've got a signed copy of the first in the series too, just need to pick up the second.

Signed limited edition of World War Z

Signed Easton Press copy of Disturbing The Universe by Freeman Dyson. Goes well with my signed The Double Helix.

I also just picked up an Artist Gift edition of I Am Legend from Suntup. They make some really freaking amazing limited editions. The prices on eBay for them are insane. Their 1984 that just released is beautiful but I have already reached my book budget for the next few months

Finally, the local Half Price Books has a 1st US edition copy of relativity! I am almost bought it despite not having even close to that amount of money to blow on a book:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Finally, the local Half Price Books has a 1st US edition copy of relativity! I am almost bought it despite not having even close to that amount of money to blow on a book:

Holy poo poo! Half Price Books gets some crazy cool stuff in sometimes.

I haven't done any browsing in used book stores since the pandemic started and I miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oh wait we can post photos of collectible books? Game on, fuckers!

Feesters in the Lake by Bob Leman. Rare on it's own, my copy is extra special:

Bob died a couple of years after this was published and there are very few signed copies, most of which are review copies (marked PC) and issued with dust jacket. My copy is numbered and, as you can see, has a dust jacket.

Dust jacket covers make taking photos tough, there's so much glare...

Here's a weird one:

Honey is Sweeter Than Blood by Jeffrey Thomas, Shadows of Flesh by Scott Thomas, and Nether: Improper Bedtime Stories both. Nether is essentially just the other two combined, but with a far smaller limitation (26 versus 250).

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 24, 2020