Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

OwlFancier posted:

I would definitely have just put the roof on anyway, toxic fallout isn't instantly lethal.

It was my first and I had no idea how dangerous it was, also we didn't quite have everything we needed for the roof supports so I decided not to risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For future reference toxic fallout is fine as long as nobody spends too much time outside in it, you can see how much buildup everyone gets and I try to make sure it doesn't go above minor. Gives you brain damage if it goes too high. I think it works basically like hypothermia.

But it does kill crops, which is the real bugger.

Oh and I guess all the other plant life on the map a lot of the time, which can cause a permanent shift in what your map is like.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

OwlFancier posted:

For future reference toxic fallout is fine as long as nobody spends too much time outside in it, you can see how much buildup everyone gets and I try to make sure it doesn't go above minor. Gives you brain damage if it goes too high. I think it works basically like hypothermia.

Oh and I guess all the other plant life on the map a lot of the time, which can cause a permanent shift in what your map is like.

Permanent toxic fallout in a mountainous region can make for a fun Fallout Vault experience!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Any way to manage the android tiers skycloud thingy where I have to reassign weapons and work priorities to all the surrogates whenever they disconnect?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

The cutoff is moderate exposure (~20%) which can cause dementia. Usually it takes about four straight days of exposure (assuming you have roofed bedrooms to sleep in) to hit that. That said, any amount of toxic build up triggers the "sick" mood debuff (and probably some pain), so it's still good to keep colonists under roof for the most part, but you can certainly let them out to harvest any plants that survive long enough to be productive, finish up a construction project or rescue a downed guest, for instance.

Nastyman posted:

It was my first and I had no idea how dangerous it was, also we didn't quite have everything we needed for the roof supports so I decided not to risk it.

For the future, don't forget that you can just build the supports out of any material you have on hand and replace it later. Similarly, you don't need to have the greenhouse completely enclosed as long as the ambient temperature is still within growing range. Toxic fallout only cares about roofs; it won't get blown under them or anything like that.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 22, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Also a good tip for toxic fallout: immediately hunt as much wildlife as you can. Animals will leave the map or die very quickly and if they have too much toxic buildup when they die their corpse is instantly rotten. I usually draft everyone and go murder any large animals on the map as soon as I see the notification. Then I prioritize butchering and storing the meat asap.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
How in god's name are you supposed to deal with lategame mechs on merciless? It feels like once you get to 6+ centipedes, colonists cease being able to win any fight against them so you have to find some flavour of cheese

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gadzuko posted:

Then I prioritize butchering and storing the meat asap.

If it's an animal that has a meat yield of over 75, you're actually better off leaving them as corpses if you have a freezer unless you're just planning to convert everything into long lasting food (pemmican or survival meals). Since the unmodded stack limit is 75, an animal like a Yak (meat yield of 171) can go from taking up one square of storage space to taking up 2.3 depending on how capable a butcher you have.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

If it's an animal that has a meat yield of over 75, you're actually better off leaving them as corpses if you have a freezer unless you're just planning to convert everything into long lasting food (pemmican or survival meals). Since the unmodded stack limit is 75, an animal like a Yak (meat yield of 171) can go from taking up one square of storage space to taking up 2.3 depending on how capable a butcher you have.

Good point. I usually don't put corpses in the freezer because I never have enough room but using it as essentially compact long term storage hadn't occurred to me

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Keeshhound posted:

For the future, don't forget that you can just build the supports out of any material you have on hand and replace it later. Similarly, you don't need to have the greenhouse completely enclosed as long as the ambient temperature is still within growing range. Toxic fallout only cares about roofs; it won't get blown under them or anything like that.

Oh I'm aware, thanks. I was just coincidentally out of everything at the time, from wood to granite to steel, when the fallout hit :v:

Honestly it was a boring, long wait indoors but at least it was relatable. And I got a lot of cleaning and cooking done with my entire colony waiting for work to do.

What's does everyone's labor assignments look like? I feel like I'm getting close to a setup I'm happy with but I also suspect I have too many high priority jobs split among too few colonists.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

A jargogle posted:

How in god's name are you supposed to deal with lategame mechs on merciless? It feels like once you get to 6+ centipedes, colonists cease being able to win any fight against them so you have to find some flavour of cheese

What's your killbox look like? (a killbox for high-level mech raids is extremely important)

If you're going to play on merciless, lategame centipedes unfortunately need to be prepared for well in advance.

There's basically five weapons worth talking about vs. centipedes. Charge rifles, chain shotguns, miniguns, emp grenades, and zeushammers.

Centipedes have 70% armor vs. sharp damage, which means charge rifles (35% armor penetration) have a 65% chance of doing full damage, a 17.5% chance of half damage, and a 17.5% chance of no damage. A charge rifle with its 15 damage per shot will have an expected damage of ~11 per shot, and can fire every 3 seconds. With its 3 shot burst that's a DPS of about 11.

Chain shotguns have less armor penetration (13%) but much more damage (18!) and fires faster, its DPS is about 12.1.

Both weapons are accurate enough that given the enormous body size of centipedes, you don't need to worry about your hit chances. If you're firing into a lot of centipedes, you'll hit somebody. Normally I love the chain shotgun for its extremely affordable build cost, absolutely massive damage output, and peak killbox performance vs. humans, manhunter swarms, insects, and any mechanoid EXCEPT centipedes, but as you have found out, centipedes are so tanky and so lethal and come in big enough numbers in the lategame that if you want to play Merciless you have to build against them specifically.

Miniguns are a real outlier of a weapon. Even with their mediocre damage per shot, anemic armor penetration, atrocious accuracy, and glacial aiming times, they just put so much lead in the air they have a theoretical maximum DPS of 30.6 vs. a centipede's 70% armor. Against most other enemy types I think miniguns aren't a great choice because they'll miss so many shots and when they do kill something it'll likely be in the first half of the volley which means you get to watch the back half of the volley go into the dirt, and then wait another 5 seconds before the next volley is ready to go. Centipedes however are so big and easy to hit that even though miniguns will miss a noticable amount of shots, they still win the DPS Vs. Centipedes competition by a country mile. The centipedes' huge hit point totals mean you'll waste a lot fewer volleys on overkill than you will vs. most other things. There's a reason these things cost 20 components and their own 2600 research point tech to unlock.

So while you keep the charge rifles and chain shotguns for every other raid type, keep miniguns in accessible storage so you can swap to them in case of centipedes. That's your damage source.

You will also need an emp grenadier to keep the centipedes locked down. Don't aim at any specific centipede aim at the ground in a spot where the centipedes will come in so you can be sure you hit the maximum number of them. Mechanoids who are emp'd over and over in a row will eventually "adapt" and become immune to EMP long enough to get off some shots, so EMP isn't a perfect solution, but the adaptation isn't permanent either and they will become vulnerable again after they fire a couple times.

I also recommend a couple guys in cataphract (or Marine, if you don't have the tech) armor with shield belts and melee weapons near the front of your formation to suck up attacks. Hopefully between the grenades keeping the centipedes locked down and the miniguns killing the centipedes as fast as they can, you won't suffer too many attacks.

You MUST have firefoam poppers in your defensive line in case an inferno cannon shot slips through.

If your EMP grenadier goes down you MUST task another colonist to grab the grenades and take over EMP duty.

Do NOT try to use the emp launcher instead of the grenades. It is slow, inaccurate, and has a tiny lovely AoE.

Try to focus one centipede down at a time, prioritizing the ones with inferno launchers. If the centipedes are bunched up, aim at the one in the back of the formation, the ones in front will bodyblock the shots and take all the damage, but if they go down the rest of the volley will continue through to hit more centipedes, instead of going into the dirt.

If a colonist is taking aim at a suboptimal centipede and is almost ready to fire, let him take the shot instead of retargeting him. It takes 2.5 seconds to wind up a minigun volley, better to let him get it off then to redirect him and make him start the windup again.

Play on the slowest speed, pause constantly.

Once you've killed enough centipedes that you have as many centipedes remaining as you have melee-capable guys, get out there and point one melee guy at each centipede so that they get tied down in melee. Ideally you have zeushammers on your melee guys, but failing that, maces are a (distant) second best choice. Centipedes are not helpless in melee, but they are MUCH less lethal than they are with their guns, and a centipede who is engaged in melee cannot shoot their guns at all. Once all the remaining centipedes are locked down, then you can move all your ranged colonists out of cover, 2 tiles away from the centipedes and focus them down. You won't friendly fire your melee guys if you're that close to them, friendly fire has a minimum distance. If a minigun shot goes super stray and hits a different melee guy fighting with a different centipede, well that's what the shield belts are for.

good luck!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of people turn off fallout because yeah, it's a little dull even in the sense of how you respond to it.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Any way to manage the android tiers skycloud thingy where I have to reassign weapons and work priorities to all the surrogates whenever they disconnect?

Does it not copy the assignment of whoever you connected to it? The way it handles the transfer of the "self" between bodies is a bit finnicky, especially if you upload androids into new bodies, but I thought surrogates just copied their parent?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 22, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
with the way mechs have been redone i honestly do not see another option for handling large numbers of them beyond equally large numbers of steel spike traps. steel spike traps have very high armor penetration and do enough damage to leave a real dent even in a centipede. anything less is gambling heavily with your pawns' lives, which is completely unacceptable at that late phase of the game.

i've been experimenting with an alternate killbox approach where i filter enemies through either a fire deathtrap (for standard raiders) or a hallway of steel spike traps (for everyone else) moving into my killbox areas. basic idea is to close off one side with two stone doors and keep the other side's doors with its airlock held open. fire trap is default since it just requires a single incendiary IED and wood, but closing one side and opening the other requires moving a pawn through the airlock doors, which is sometimes not feasible from a time perspective.

god i wish there were remotely operated doors in vanilla. no, i'm not installing a mod for it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There's a "Reconnect" button on surrogates that tends to keep old priorities and things in place. Weapons are a bit of a pain in the rear end. With Simple Sidearms I've seen some behavior where they will sometimes go pick up their old weapons as well, but you can't trigger that behavior on demand, which is a bit useless if you're waking them up just for a raid.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

What's your killbox look like? (a killbox for high-level mech raids is extremely important)

If you're going to play on merciless, lategame centipedes unfortunately need to be prepared for well in advance.

There's basically five weapons worth talking about vs. centipedes. Charge rifles, chain shotguns, miniguns, emp grenades, and zeushammers.

Centipedes have 70% armor vs. sharp damage, which means charge rifles (35% armor penetration) have a 65% chance of doing full damage, a 17.5% chance of half damage, and a 17.5% chance of no damage. A charge rifle with its 15 damage per shot will have an expected damage of ~11 per shot, and can fire every 3 seconds. With its 3 shot burst that's a DPS of about 11.

Chain shotguns have less armor penetration (13%) but much more damage (18!) and fires faster, its DPS is about 12.1.

Both weapons are accurate enough that given the enormous body size of centipedes, you don't need to worry about your hit chances. If you're firing into a lot of centipedes, you'll hit somebody. Normally I love the chain shotgun for its extremely affordable build cost, absolutely massive damage output, and peak killbox performance vs. humans, manhunter swarms, insects, and any mechanoid EXCEPT centipedes, but as you have found out, centipedes are so tanky and so lethal and come in big enough numbers in the lategame that if you want to play Merciless you have to build against them specifically.

Miniguns are a real outlier of a weapon. Even with their mediocre damage per shot, anemic armor penetration, atrocious accuracy, and glacial aiming times, they just put so much lead in the air they have a theoretical maximum DPS of 30.6 vs. a centipede's 70% armor. Against most other enemy types I think miniguns aren't a great choice because they'll miss so many shots and when they do kill something it'll likely be in the first half of the volley which means you get to watch the back half of the volley go into the dirt, and then wait another 5 seconds before the next volley is ready to go. Centipedes however are so big and easy to hit that even though miniguns will miss a noticable amount of shots, they still win the DPS Vs. Centipedes competition by a country mile. The centipedes' huge hit point totals mean you'll waste a lot fewer volleys on overkill than you will vs. most other things. There's a reason these things cost 20 components and their own 2600 research point tech to unlock.

So while you keep the charge rifles and chain shotguns for every other raid type, keep miniguns in accessible storage so you can swap to them in case of centipedes. That's your damage source.

You will also need an emp grenadier to keep the centipedes locked down. Don't aim at any specific centipede aim at the ground in a spot where the centipedes will come in so you can be sure you hit the maximum number of them. Mechanoids who are emp'd over and over in a row will eventually "adapt" and become immune to EMP long enough to get off some shots, so EMP isn't a perfect solution, but the adaptation isn't permanent either and they will become vulnerable again after they fire a couple times.

I also recommend a couple guys in cataphract (or Marine, if you don't have the tech) armor with shield belts and melee weapons near the front of your formation to suck up attacks. Hopefully between the grenades keeping the centipedes locked down and the miniguns killing the centipedes as fast as they can, you won't suffer too many attacks.

You MUST have firefoam poppers in your defensive line in case an inferno cannon shot slips through.

If your EMP grenadier goes down you MUST task another colonist to grab the grenades and take over EMP duty.

Do NOT try to use the emp launcher instead of the grenades. It is slow, inaccurate, and has a tiny lovely AoE.

Try to focus one centipede down at a time, prioritizing the ones with inferno launchers. If the centipedes are bunched up, aim at the one in the back of the formation, the ones in front will bodyblock the shots and take all the damage, but if they go down the rest of the volley will continue through to hit more centipedes, instead of going into the dirt.

If a colonist is taking aim at a suboptimal centipede and is almost ready to fire, let him take the shot instead of retargeting him. It takes 2.5 seconds to wind up a minigun volley, better to let him get it off then to redirect him and make him start the windup again.

Play on the slowest speed, pause constantly.

Once you've killed enough centipedes that you have as many centipedes remaining as you have melee-capable guys, get out there and point one melee guy at each centipede so that they get tied down in melee. Ideally you have zeushammers on your melee guys, but failing that, maces are a (distant) second best choice. Centipedes are not helpless in melee, but they are MUCH less lethal than they are with their guns, and a centipede who is engaged in melee cannot shoot their guns at all. Once all the remaining centipedes are locked down, then you can move all your ranged colonists out of cover, 2 tiles away from the centipedes and focus them down. You won't friendly fire your melee guys if you're that close to them, friendly fire has a minimum distance. If a minigun shot goes super stray and hits a different melee guy fighting with a different centipede, well that's what the shield belts are for.

good luck!

That's actually really helpful - I had tried using an EMP launcher (and frustrated at how bad it was), was too short on advanced components to really deck out with charge weapons and never even considered miniguns. Shield belt melees + picking them down very slowly with ARs were how I was dealing with them with less than 6 but around that time it just became impossible to get them into melee because they just gunned my guys down before they could engage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJ_XRxhlrs

It's out!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1909914131

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Somehow my incredibly lovely first-playthrough-ever killbox did manage to fend off 5 centipedes, eventually, with the help of colonists with miniguns and emp grenades, but the box itself was mostly rubble and scrap by the end of the fight. Are there any really good guides on killbox layout? Pretty sure my scratch designed mess is not optimal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving sorcery.

Like there's chunks falling off the ships and everything, i have no goddamn idea how.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 23, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Miniguns are a real outlier of a weapon.

Also a concern: miniguns shred the absolute poo poo out of your walls and fortifications in your killbox. Every gun will miss sometimes and do some collateral damage, but you should plan to lose an extra layer or two of wall every time the gatlings come out.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

my alpha animals/pawnmorpher crossover mod is going pretty well. I have art for about 1/5th of the alpha animals (15 out of ~65) and i've got 5 of those working properly in the game. the helixienmorph makes corpses decay, the swarmlingmorph gives the swarmling implantation disease to enemies who get hit by the ovipositors, the feralisk makes synthread etc. i'm running up against some more complicated morphs now with a shitload more parts which are gonna need some really annoying xml work to get right.

speaking of which, here's the raptor shrimp morph:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

my alpha animals/pawnmorpher crossover mod is going pretty well. I have art for about 1/5th of the alpha animals (15 out of ~65) and i've got 5 of those working properly in the game. the helixienmorph makes corpses decay, the swarmlingmorph gives the swarmling implantation disease to enemies who get hit by the ovipositors, the feralisk makes synthread etc. i'm running up against some more complicated morphs now with a shitload more parts which are gonna need some really annoying xml work to get right.

speaking of which, here's the raptor shrimp morph:

Oh god, I'm envisioning social fights between a swarmlingmorph pawn and another pawn. That seems like it could go really wrong really quickly.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

A jargogle posted:

That's actually really helpful - I had tried using an EMP launcher (and frustrated at how bad it was), was too short on advanced components to really deck out with charge weapons and never even considered miniguns. Shield belt melees + picking them down very slowly with ARs were how I was dealing with them with less than 6 but around that time it just became impossible to get them into melee because they just gunned my guys down before they could engage.

If you get solely centipedes you can outrange them as well. I haven't had success with spike traps even with huge trap hallways. EMP grenades, massed fire, and zues hammers have always been my go to. If you don't have that, use a melee guy to tie them up and pray. If you're not outranging them, you need to Zerg swarm them as they come around a corner.

Also mods. Whatever mods you got, one of them has an overpowered solution.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Does anyone have any tips on how to make natures pretty sweet not cripple my frame rate? I've turned all the weather effects off and my game still just drags.

I just want redwood, basalt and snazzy biomes, but it makes my game almost unplayable.

E: Trying out dubs bad hygiene, and it seems like no matter how many radiators I have, they don't go above 22 regardless of what temp I have set? I have gone from 1 to 4 large radiators in a 13x37 room, and the only difference seems to be no drops during a cold snap. The temp never hits what the thermostat is set to.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 23, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Demon_Corsair posted:

E: Trying out dubs bad hygiene, and it seems like no matter how many radiators I have, they don't go above 22 regardless of what temp I have set? I have gone from 1 to 4 large radiators in a 13x37 room, and the only difference seems to be no drops during a cold snap. The temp never hits what the thermostat is set to.

The radiators never heat above that temp. All the thermostat does is turn on the hot water heaters when the temperature drops below the setting.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Manager Hoyden posted:

The radiators never heat above that temp. All the thermostat does is turn on the hot water heaters when the temperature drops below the setting.

So with radiators you can never heat about 21-22C? I've got two boilers hooked up to the hot water tank and all the radiators are running about max.

Guess I either need to go back to electric heaters or rethink my bedroom heating. I have all my bedrooms unheated, but hooked via vents to a central corridor that I heat. During the last cold snap a bunch of the bedrooms dropped down to 16C so I had a bunch of grumpy colonists.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Demon_Corsair posted:

So with radiators you can never heat about 21-22C? I've got two boilers hooked up to the hot water tank and all the radiators are running about max.

Guess I either need to go back to electric heaters or rethink my bedroom heating. I have all my bedrooms unheated, but hooked via vents to a central corridor that I heat. During the last cold snap a bunch of the bedrooms dropped down to 16C so I had a bunch of grumpy colonists.

Dont put the thermostat in the same room as the radiator, put it in the furthest room away. That way the radiator will keep heating until that room is the correct temp.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

One of my colonists got kidnapped, but in the needs tab it's showing up as my friend died. Did he maybe die en route or is he just assumed KIA until they ransom him?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

zenguitarman posted:

One of my colonists got kidnapped, but in the needs tab it's showing up as my friend died. Did he maybe die en route or is he just assumed KIA until they ransom him?
I'm not sure, but I think the game determines some random fate immediately upon a successful kidnapping, and you can get a preview of it by exploiting the hover tooltip

For instance sometimes your kidnapped pawn will join the raider faction, and if that pawn was someone's relation you can hover over them in the relation tab and see that they've changed faction.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OwlFancier posted:

loving sorcery.

Like there's chunks falling off the ships and everything, i have no goddamn idea how.

100%think this is going to get wrappedup as a dlc because holy gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

You will need very good ventilation if you want to do that, yes. Or to put the radiators in the bedrooms, which is something you can happily do, as a rule. A boiler puts out enough heat to run 20 small radiators, each of which can easily keep a small room at 22C. And that's a lot of saved components and maintenence rather than running 20 space heaters.

Telsa Cola posted:

100%think this is going to get wrappedup as a dlc because holy gently caress.

I'd buy it, especially if they maybe rolled in roads of the rim, added land vehicles, and just generally focused it on a strategic level DLC.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 24, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there a good guide on SOS2? I don't know how to get started building the drat ship.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What happens if you destroy rimatomics drums of nuclear waste?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

strategic level DLC.

I really liked the world map and caravan stuff so I hope they expand on it a whole bunch. But I'm the weirdo who wiped out a couple of bases just because I could so...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Building wealth instead of space ships is a fun end goal, had a 47 man pirate raid but the snake held out. Did have to reload a few times. Remembering I have the embrasure pits. Timing when I draft everyone so people don't go insane over food/sleep/bathroom.

They did break all the turrets eventually but only had to patch three medium-tier injures across the pawns. Investing in modded drop suit armor for my best brawler went well as she ran down and gutted anyone who tried to enter the gates. Or flee Snake's Head. It was pretty rough to see 47 raiders in modded super gear but after a washing machine marathon I've got 26 goons wearing nanotech nerve undersuits and with kinetic field suits waiting for the next raid.

Built more turrets in a wider spread and surrounded them with barbed wire. :twisted: Also doubled my mortars.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ok, I have simple meals, limited to 30 or so for my 5 pawns, and i make packaged meals for travel.

My pawns keep picking up an eating the survival meals leaving the simple meals untouched.

I know i can set the restrictions to stop that, but i have to remember to allow it for caravan use, otherwise i have '0 food'

i really don't want to go with zone / restriction fuckery.. .is there an easy way to 'prefer' other meals or do i really need to set different policies over time ?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

put shelves of yayo or go-juice near the defensive posts for colonists who start to complain about being drafted for too long :evilbuddy:

I also put shelves of survival meals, and also roofs and lights in the strongpoints to help keep them fighting longer.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh that is a really boss idea for the embrasure rooms, perfect, thank you.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Roundboy posted:

Ok, I have simple meals, limited to 30 or so for my 5 pawns, and i make packaged meals for travel.

My pawns keep picking up an eating the survival meals leaving the simple meals untouched.

I know i can set the restrictions to stop that, but i have to remember to allow it for caravan use, otherwise i have '0 food'

i really don't want to go with zone / restriction fuckery.. .is there an easy way to 'prefer' other meals or do i really need to set different policies over time ?

Not really; the issue is that survival meals are considered a better food than simple meals since they give a +5 mood bonus on consumption like fine meals do. You could mitigate it a little by making fine meals instead, but they'd still consider the survival meals an equivalent food type and grab whatever's closer. The simplest thing is to make a home meal restriction and a travel restriction, then switch them when you form the caravan. You can click and drag to apply the same restriction down a line of colonists in the assignments tab (works for outfits, drugs, medicine restriction and aggression response, too.) which helps when you have a lot of them.

Be aware that you can also change a colonist's meal assignments while they're in a caravan if you forget; it's in their health tab under the caravan information screen, because caravan UI was a lower priority feature, I guess.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 25, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If you have hauling boys or animals, I think you could make a PSM zone that is forbidden to all colonists and rely on the boys to haul the meals for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Roundboy posted:

Can't you just forbid the survival meals? No need to remember to unforbid them when packing for a caravan, pawns will still pick and pack them then, but won't touch them the rest of the time.