Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sindai posted:

And it's cool that, if I understand correctly, when you have a large empire you get more innovations faster by keeping it multicultural.

This happens in CK2 on a limited basis. If you kick out the Jews you suffer a global tech penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't know where else to put this, so here. Maybe put it on your playlist next time you play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl40J5YMmcI

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

lurksion posted:

Hmm...I don't see that as currently described.

Well. Actually sort of. Some gameyness, though

There's a background tick that everyone gets, and this is also influenced by surrounding counties to all of a culture's provinces. Multicultural has minimal impact here - only slightly faster through RNG managing to discover one tech over slightly faster for one culture, giving a bonus to its bordering cultures. However, the largest independent ruler of a culture gets to choose a bonus to the background tick.

So a multicultural empire will only tick notably faster if there are independent rulers of their component cultures still around. So to take advantage you need to leave a county unconquered so that your counties get a bonus to a tick from the independent guys' choice, which then can percolate to the rest of your empire through border bonuses (and also you want to checkerboard your county cultures for faster spread)

There are some systems getting crossed here. The base research rate is mostly based on a culture's average county development, which is just a number each county has. The single exposure bonus a culture gets is randomly selected, and its speed is affected by things like shared borders between counties of your culture and the counties of the culture it's currently copying.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Something that's been bugging me in the dev diaries and in general is referring to levies as peasants. This is not only wrong, it's literally the inverse of how the feudal system worked. Lords had an obligation to protect their peasants: this is what gave them the right to rule them. Needing the peasants to fight undermines this right, as if a lord can't protect you, why give him x% of your wool and grain every year? It's like how people are realizing that CEOs don't actually create value proportional to their cost during COVID: you try to keep that idea out of people's minds as much as possible if you're part of the ruling class.

Since I'm not a pissbaby I'm going to consider them just light infantry with a low upkeep.

I'll have a #3 with Coke.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Pharohman777 posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable run where someone tries to collect all the special techs of other cultures into one kingdom.
The way I read it, it didn't sound like that was possible. If techs are inherently cultural, then your kingdom only has its culture's techs.

(Of course, what culture your kingdom is is another question. I guess most likely it's just the King's.)

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

The way I read it, it didn't sound like that was possible. If techs are inherently cultural, then your kingdom only has its culture's techs.

(Of course, what culture your kingdom is is another question. I guess most likely it's just the King's.)

I'm wondering how this will all work out with culture changes. Will they come back if I revert to the previous culture (e.g. I'm of culture A, I switch to culture B, my heir is still culture A). Will changing cultures be able to screw a player over? (not that that would be a gamebreaker--just an extra challenge and something to be aware of).

I'm sure there's been thought put into it, but I'm curious what happens if I start a new culture, or the Lombard->Italian or Frankish->French change happens. Do I retain the previous techs?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The North Tower posted:

I'm wondering how this will all work out with culture changes. Will they come back if I revert to the previous culture (e.g. I'm of culture A, I switch to culture B, my heir is still culture A). Will changing cultures be able to screw a player over? (not that that would be a gamebreaker--just an extra challenge and something to be aware of).

I'm sure there's been thought put into it, but I'm curious what happens if I start a new culture, or the Lombard->Italian or Frankish->French change happens. Do I retain the previous techs?
Looks like you just change over and have access to the different techs (whether that's more, fewer, or just different).

From their forum:

quote:

Does the technology you have access to, say succession laws, depend on the characters culture or the province culture of the capital?

What prevents some scottish backwater noble to culture flip to greek or have his heir educated as greek and immediately gain access to all innovations unlocked by Byzantium?

quote:

Character culture! And, well, sure! I don't think your vassals are likely to necessarily take that well, and the peasants will resent some uppity foreigner coming in and telling them that their traditions are bunkum (at least until you educate them till they think they're Greek too). Selling your local traditions down the line for technological advancement is, sadly, a bit of a human tradition, I'm afraid.

It does seem a little awkward, unless they make character cultural conversion particularly difficult to accomplish.

edit: Yeah

quote:

It's not quite so trivial a thing to change your culture, but yes, you gain access to the affects of the innovations instantly.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 21, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The medieval era was caught between the more informal tribal structures of germanic peoples who would often only fight part-time, but just about anybody could fight and take up arms, and the later professional armies and mercenary groups that were more highly specialized and stratified to be separate from farmers or tradesmen. CK3 has already said that it's going to do more to represent the latter with its systems, but the former were still the bread and butter of a lot of the dark ages.

"Peasants" is a usually a fairly generic term that often includes all the social classes beneath the nobility throughout the various and differed social systems of medieval Europe, rather than just the lowest rung of unfree farmworkers. Freemen definitely had some obligations to fight, and serfs may have sometimes fought, even if they weren't officially supposed to, because while the feudal contract is supposed to be a mutual thing, not everyone lives up to their part. That's part of how a lot of warfare back in the middle ages was managing morale to encourage people not to fight and keep rallying to the cause of their rear end in a top hat lord, despite how ostensibly many wars are specifically over the personal wealth of the lord (part of that wealth being the physical ownership of the people on the land). There's a lot of things that just mix together.

Most notably, during the crusades, a poo poo ton of people just ditched their old lives to fight in the crusades or join up with holy orders, and not just the personal retinues of fancy nobles, so while the more elite soldiers would be their own class and raised to fight from birth, a lot of people still could just leave behind their old lives to fight.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Looks like you just change over and have access to the different techs (whether that's more, fewer, or just different).

From their forum:

It does seem a little awkward, unless they make character cultural conversion particularly difficult to accomplish.

edit: Yeah

So it sounds like it will be more of a penalty than in CK2? That could be more reasonable.

re: peasants: I know it won't be a perfect match, and it makes sense for a peasant revolt to be all LI-equivalent, but the dev diary on war:

"Levies in Crusader Kings 3 are made up of their own unit type, simply called Levy. These are essentially conscripted peasants forced to do your bidding and are not very impressive on their own."

is a little misleading. I'm 100% comfortable that there isn't a perfect way to model all forms of armies through 600 years, but to quote some David Sturdy guy from wikipedia (I'm not a trained historian for this era):
"The persistent old belief that peasants and small farmers gathered to form a national army or fyrd is a strange delusion dreamt up by antiquarians in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth centuries to justify universal military conscription."

Preordered Royal Edition. Will play for 20 hours straight.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I figured out during my noob adventure that it was my SISTER who tried to take one of my counties,she was plotting to kill my daughter,and she died in prison.

So I poisoned her brother and took his demesne and am dividing it up with some vassals.

I feel like I'm doing it right.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

As someone who isn't good at understanding pc specs anymore, how high-end is the GPU requirement for CK3? I'm seeing on the store page that an "Intel Iris 580" will cut it and a bit of research suggests that this line is 2015-ish. I have apparently "Intel HD Graphics 4000", which meant I recently had to get Imperator:Rome refunded because my card was too old to be supported, but I also heard they are putting in more effort to making CK3 run on potatoes. I suspect I'm right near the edge of not being able to play this game and if so I'd like to not get my hopes up of playing before the distant future of me having a better laptop.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

As someone who isn't good at understanding pc specs anymore, how high-end is the GPU requirement for CK3? I'm seeing on the store page that an "Intel Iris 580" will cut it and a bit of research suggests that this line is 2015-ish. I have apparently "Intel HD Graphics 4000", which meant I recently had to get Imperator:Rome refunded because my card was too old to be supported, but I also heard they are putting in more effort to making CK3 run on potatoes. I suspect I'm right near the edge of not being able to play this game and if so I'd like to not get my hopes up of playing before the distant future of me having a better laptop.

The requirement is basically "a discrete graphics card". The minimums on Steam are all like 10 years old, but they're still actual separate graphics cards. The integrated intel graphics are incredibly basic, and won't run many games at all these days. The Iris 580 is an attempt at doing real graphics processing on a CPU, but it's a high end option that shipped with a very limited number of CPU variants.

Imperator and CK3 have the same recommended minimums, so if your machine couldn't run Imperator, I'd say the odds of it running Ck3 are roughly zero.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 21, 2020

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

PittTheElder posted:

The requirement is basically "a discrete graphics card". The minimums on Steam are all like 10 years old, but they're still actual separate graphics cards. The integrated intel graphics are incredibly basic, and won't run many games at all these days. The Iris 580 is an attempt at doing real graphics processing on a CPU, but it's a high end option that shipped with a very limited number of CPU variants.

If your machine couldn't run Imperator, I'd say the odds of it running Ck3 are roughly zero.

Ugh.... well my machine seemed to run Imperator smoothly in terms of framerate, animation, lighting etc but had very particular and consistent map errors that were clearly the results of unsupported drivers/card. I can run every other Paradox title plus other games like XCOM and Deus Ex (the new ones) which one would think are more taxing. Anyways right now my plan is to keep my hopes low and give it a spin at launch with a eye on the ol' refund button. :(

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My main hope with CK3 will be a better implementation of "governorships" in the Byzantine empire than what they've got in CK2 (everybody's got a duchy viceroyalty) so everyone doesn't hate the emperor immediately.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

quote:

It's not quite so trivial a thing to change your culture, but yes, you gain access to the affects of the innovations instantly.

It's pretty impressive that they went to the effort of modelling that, but how long does it take to implement the effects of the adopted innovations?

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Neurion posted:

My main hope with CK3 will be a better implementation of "governorships" in the Byzantine empire than what they've got in CK2 (everybody's got a duchy viceroyalty) so everyone doesn't hate the emperor immediately.

At launch the plan is for the Byzantines to have no particular special features and to get fleshed out more later.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I'm going to buy a desktop for CK3--first non-laptop in >15 years. Can anyone point me to the 'buy a computer' thread? I'm not really interested in making my own, but some modularity would be nice (also I don't want one that looks like a transformer--can I just get a black or grey box without flashing chevron lights?).

Thanks! \/

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 22, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

The North Tower posted:

I'm going to buy a desktop for CK3--first non-laptop in >15 years. Can anyone point me to the 'buy a computer' thread? I'm not really interested in making my own, but some modularity would be nice (also I don't want one that looks like a transformer--can I just get a black or grey box without flashing chevron lights?).

You’re looking for this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626&perpage=40&pagenumber=16

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

willing to settle posted:

At launch the plan is for the Byzantines to have no particular special features and to get fleshed out more later.

Maybe in CK3 they can go more than three years without a major rebellion. I feel like they are the only nation that is in a constant state of rebellion when I check in on it.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Maybe in CK3 they can go more than three years without a major rebellion. I feel like they are the only nation that is in a constant state of rebellion when I check in on it.

I’m wondering if they’ll blob more than they do now, or if cultural mechanics will keep it in constant civil war. I’m very, very excited to see the cultural mechanics.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

So I encountered something weird today. I've always had the impression that when a ruler that has a liege dies without an heir, that all of their titles would go to the liege. In this case though, all of their titles are going to some random duke in the byzantine empire. They don't have a shared dynasty, they don't have any marriage ties/blood ties as far as I can tell, the duke doesn't have a claim on the duchy of Provence, I just have no idea what it could be. Is it something weird that's happening because the duchy of Provence is gavelkind and the kingdom of Pisa is elective monarchy? I know that one law that prevents vassal titles from leaving the country would have prevented this either way, but I didn't think it would've been a problem at the time and went for free investiture.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

How far back did you look in their family trees?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah it has to be a far flung relative inheritance, which can happen no matter the dynasty. If Björn Ironside has Sigurd snake in the eye and all his kids killed, then he gets his stuff even though they’re in different dynasties, because they’re brothers.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I haven't paid much attention to CK3, but have they showed any changes in the popup based game design? I've been playing CK2 a bit lately and holy poo poo it I forgot how much it gives me a headache the way your attention is constantly under assault by all the inane popups. I wish there was like a queue on the side where you could choose to optionally deal with this stuff, I can't stand it when I'm trying to move troops around and the game is nagging me about dumb kid stuff or whatever. Eventually I just start mashing buttons without thinking just to get all the bullshit out of my face, which is not good, but to be honest it often doesn't even matter that much, because a lot of the decisions are so insignificant anyway. At the very least I wish you could automate some of this stuff more

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CK2 lets you select which things get shown as popups? There's a message settings panel somewhere, I can't remember where in the UI they are, but for EU4 it's in the bottom left. One of the small boxes you never click on. Should be a similar button on every popup message.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm assuming they're talking about the ones that pause the game, pop up in the middle of the screen, and then require an input to resolve.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Yeah, I'm talking about like when you try to seduce someone and the game just spams you with the same events every few weeks and you just have to mash the same buttons like 15 times in a row. Or recently, I've been getting a lot of foreign chancellors fabricating claims, and for some reason it tells you this in a sequence of two game halting popups a few days apart. Unskippable, and it's not even giving you a choice or anything. Completely unnecessary and annoying as hell

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Various Meat Products posted:

Okay yeah, I was only looking as far back as the parents, so that solved the mystery.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The only truly annoying pop-ups I recall are when you have a tournament and 15 dudes get injured or killed and you have to click most unfortunate. I just want my vassal opinion buff.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Various Meat Products posted:

Something I hope CK3 does is have some kind of "show me how these two people are related" button.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

super fart shooter posted:

Yeah, I'm talking about like when you try to seduce someone and the game just spams you with the same events every few weeks and you just have to mash the same buttons like 15 times in a row. Or recently, I've been getting a lot of foreign chancellors fabricating claims, and for some reason it tells you this in a sequence of two game halting popups a few days apart. Unskippable, and it's not even giving you a choice or anything. Completely unnecessary and annoying as hell

I seem to recall some talk about making events more meaningful and reducing the number of low impact ones.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

Or recently, I've been getting a lot of foreign chancellors fabricating claims, and for some reason it tells you this in a sequence of two game halting popups a few days apart. Unskippable, and it's not even giving you a choice or anything. Completely unnecessary and annoying as hell

After 3000 hours in this game, I am able to click through this event almost instantly, so fast that I don't even consciously register it. I would love to know how many Chancellors I've ordered killed. I am with you that this becomes very tedious and constantly pausing the game on speed 4 gets annoying, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

The only truly annoying pop-ups I recall are when you have a tournament and 15 dudes get injured or killed and you have to click most unfortunate. I just want my vassal opinion buff.

There is a 'don't bother me with such trifles' button, but I'm not sure if it actually works.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Gotta love it when I'm eldership succession and some no-name septuagenarian changes his vote every few days so the game keeps pausing to tell me about my new heir.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
CK3 will have an absurd amount of pop-up events*, and while it will never be perfect (nor probably even close to perfect), a lot of work has gone into improving the player experience: from use of feed messages and toasts to inform you of things you have no input on, to better-controlled pacing of full-scale events, to making sure there are actual interesting and variable choices in these events -- with mechanics such as stress and dread, and even the new religion system, a given event's optimal choice can vary greatly from character to character.

* for a 1.0 Paradox release

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hellioning posted:

There is a 'don't bother me with such trifles' button, but I'm not sure if it actually works.

It does, but you need to tell your guy to gently caress off separately for each of wounded, maimed and killed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Can't you edit what gets a full pause, and what gets a full popup as opposed to just being a note off to the side?

I remember downloading somebody else's popup priority file, but I might be thinking of EU3.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

You can edit your notification priorities through "message settings" in the pause menu. There are other ways to do it as things appear through little buttons but the message settings menu lets you methodically handle it all at once. This is basically the first thing I do at the start of every game depending on whether I want to breeze through or have a detail-oriented AAR style game. Then I hard save as soon as I finish the settings so I have a 'game start' save where this is all taken care of. You can also fool around with using old message settings files or download them from people, but this can get wonky with mods.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I know you can edit what shows up as a pop up vs. a note to the side with a noise vs. a note to the side with no noise, but I'm not sure if all events can be shut off like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Hellioning posted:

I know you can edit what shows up as a pop up vs. a note to the side with a noise vs. a note to the side with no noise, but I'm not sure if all events can be shut off like that.

ahhh yes well there are certain events that cannot be ignored because they aren't just "a thing happened", they are "you need to make a decision and not making a decision will break the game". Some of the ones that are known to be annoying have "never trouble me with this nonsense" options ( I think this ignore option lasts for your current ruler's life?) but others are core gameplay that just extremely repetitive after your 700th hour of play. You would have to get rid of these through modding. e: some aspects of this can also be cancelled out through the game rules, so for example I got deathly bored of dealing with quarantine gameplay (long before it became extremely topical...) and I just disable all that seclusion stuff so I never have to deal with it.

Fuzzy McDoom fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 23, 2020