Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Makes a change from the fauna either a) ignoring you or b) you wishing they ignored you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Gabe's feather is a reference to Gabe Newell. It's got two big parts and a third one that will never grow full.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
yay cuddlefish! :yaycloud:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Faylone posted:

Gabe's feather is a reference to Gabe Newell. It's got two big parts and a third one that will never grow full.

Goddammit

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

The cuddlefish model was originally the crash fish, but the devs decided it was to cute to explode so it ended up being reused as a pet

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Da_Higg posted:

The cuddlefish model was originally the crash fish, but the devs decided it was to cute to explode so it ended up being reused as a pet

I find it interesting that the cuddlefish shares a general bauplan with several other interesting and important creatures in the game. Two forelimbs, seven tentacles, that general shape. I don't want to get specific due to spoilers, but there's some conclusions that can be drawn.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The Cuddlefish is the most adorable little bugger. :3:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Hopefully petting the cuddlefish makes up for the lack of fish touching thus far. :3:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Generally cephalopods make me really uncomfortable but the cuddlefish is okay

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

This comment, combined with your avatar, is giving me conflicting feelings.

The lost river is a place I know really well, because I spent like 4 hours down there in a single trip. I had to nestle the cyclops away in a safe location and then spend a ton of time roaming around the ground in the Prawn Suit to grab the resources littered on the floor. It was a scary yet fun experience of moving from tree/root to tree/root, all the while keeping an eye above me for the various dangers floating around overhead. Every now and then I'd have to make my way back to the cyclops in order to reequip and dump off the haul of treasure. Then once everything was said and done, the cyclops needed to be carefully maneuvered back up to the surface.

That's the kind of thing I was hoping for more of when I mentioned the cyclops being a letdown. It didn't feel like Subnautica really had many opportunities for "long-haul" missions like that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

When I played I didn't realise you were supposed to take the cuddelfish out of the aquarium. I thought it just swam around looking cute. It wasn't until after the game was over and I still hadn't unlocked the cuddlefish achievement that I came back to find out what you were supposed to do with it, to discover that once it was in the wild I could pet it and stuff. :smith:

I always found the blood kelp to be kind of comforting, personally. I'm not sure why but I never got the scary vibe it's supposed to have, it always felt kind of safe. Possibly because it's a source of useful resources. That said, I thought the deep underwater environments weren't affecting me in general until I knocked my seamoth into an unexpected wall emerging from the lost river and jumped out of my chair.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My own trip to the Degassi habitat near the lost river was an an interesting one. Because not only was there the two giant crabsquids, but also at least four warpers as well. At one point I even managed to get some infight going to which the warper just teleported one the crabsquids into space or something as it was gone. But in the end I managed to park my Seamoth on a ledge and explore undisturbed before leaving as fast as I could.

Also I managed to drain one of the fuel rods for my Seatreader base. :v: One bonus with the nuclear reactor is that it does have a lot of residual energy so there wasn't a mad scurry in trying to get new fuel rods done.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I...don't think I ever found the seamoth depth module that lets you drop to 900 meters. I explored all the later-game areas with a cyclops/prawn combo and jumping around those green pools, constantly afraid I'd get the cumbersome suit stuck and will have to try to swim for the cyclops on the other end of the river... That was quite the way to experience this place.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

I feel like all the situations where you get far into the game without a major core upgrade due to bad luck is what makes the game so interesting sometimes.

Not having your seamoth under 300 sounds like a really amazing run, if a long one.

I imagine there are some great experiences to be had with "challenge" runs like that

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The good news is the Prawn is immune to the brine pools, just don't get out of the Prawn while you're parked in one. It doesn't bog you down either, thank goodness.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

I'm just at the point now where I've used my seamoth to get everywhere at 300, and I haven't built a cyclops or prawn yet, and just lost my seamoth
Maybe next time, don't go everywhere with the Seamoth.

Maybe I'll resource gather, build my vehicles, and redo my FOBs in the process. I have a feeling I'm going to want to have Scanners set up a number of places if I'm gonna be using Cyclops and Prawn only, which is sounding real fun...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Punch that juvenile ghost leviathan to death with the prawn.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I feel like you get the Cuddlefish way too late in the game. The best time for it is in the early to mid game when you're zipping around with the Seaguide collecting the tier 1 and tier 2 resources so you can tech up and build your base. As it is, you get it so late that you're going around in your Cyclops and hitting areas too dangerous for it to hang around with you, so I ended up not really doing anything with it. Not to mention, by getting it this late, it's hard to really get invested in it, because frankly, you're already invested in other things.

I really feel like it should have been either in Gun Island or the Mushroom Cave.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DEAR SWEET MOTHER OF MOSES WHAT IS THAT TERRIFYING BEAST

gently caress THE OCEAN :gonk: :derp:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The Lost River's where I ended up building my main base my first run through the game. The multiple exits across the map made it a nice, central location despite its depth and the abundance of heat sources made it a good place to park the Cyclops to recharge.

Azuth0667 posted:

Punch that juvenile ghost leviathan to death with the prawn.

Don't you dare :mad:, Lil' Spooky's all bark and no bite.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 23, 2020

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lil Spooky's gonna get what's coming to him! :mad:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

ThingOne posted:

Don't you dare :mad:, Lil' Spooky's all bark and no bite.

Lil' Spooky needs to quit bumping my cyclops.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

gently caress THE OCEAN :gonk: :derp:

Look I know the ocean isn't for everyone but the cuddlefish isn't that bad.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Man, which one? There are several.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Look I know the ocean isn't for everyone but the cuddlefish isn't that bad.

IT TRIED TO EAT HIS ACTUAL HAND

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That was just a puppy dogfish nibble. They do that while playing! It's not a real bite :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

only one thing is black & white in nature, and that is DEATH

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gothsheep posted:

I feel like you get the Cuddlefish way too late in the game. The best time for it is in the early to mid game when you're zipping around with the Seaguide collecting the tier 1 and tier 2 resources so you can tech up and build your base. As it is, you get it so late that you're going around in your Cyclops and hitting areas too dangerous for it to hang around with you, so I ended up not really doing anything with it. Not to mention, by getting it this late, it's hard to really get invested in it, because frankly, you're already invested in other things.

I really feel like it should have been either in Gun Island or the Mushroom Cave.

Do like someone did: Put an egg in a time capsule! :3: I got mine out of one of those. It was a lovely surprise.

See Mohn
Oct 28, 2010

I stumbled into the Lost River by total accident in my first playthrough. I got in the Prawn Suit without any kind of way to go up reliably and wound up blindly wandering all the way to the giant ribcage before running low on sustenance and having to turn back. Fun times.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Do like someone did: Put an egg in a time capsule! :3: I got mine out of one of those. It was a lovely surprise.

I did! Last game I played when I finished I left a Cuddlefish, Seamoth Depth Mk.3, a Laser Cutter, some Nickle Ore and some Crystallized Sulfur. Basically whoever finds that gets to skip like, 80% of the game's grind.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In all seriousness there's only one thing I actually dislike about Cuddlefish: it is possible to accidentally knife them while you're trying to save them from Biters, and then they run away forever :smith:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#21 - Sanctuary Caches

This video has been a nightmare from beginning to end. The encode took almost four hours to complete, and the upload took another hour on top of that. Plus the two hours I spent this morning editing and commenting over it. I'm really quite tired of looking at it. :mad:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Holy poo poo, you actually did it. :black101:

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Im not a fan of Markiplier's content because of his shtick, but he does seem like a really nice guy from all accounts.
De does have the kind of voice where he could, if he liked, have a career in professional voiceovers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh, you've found it. I was incredibly confused when I managed to stumble upon that statue and it took me until making it and the clicking on it a couple of times to realize who it was in reference to.
I have half a mind to make a sealed room somewhere deep down and just put it there to avoid the wrath of some youtuber diety.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, that Reaper sequence was pretty badass. I had no idea you could latch to them.
Still can't believe it was almost the endgame before we saw one, though; I don't think I've ever talked to a player that didn't have a Seamoth eaten by the ones near Aurora.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So the ion cubes are storage devices for alien souls? Cool cool cool. Let's make something neat out of them

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I was wondering about that too, are you 'killing' the stored alien... Minds (?) when you take the power cubes with you? Or what?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Midnight Voyager posted:

I tried to load mine with as many cuddlefish eggs as I could find but they only allow you to put one in there :saddowns:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I think the cubes are meant to be there in more of a ceremonial fashion. Presumably there's some sort of supercomputer at each of the sites that're housing the actual data.

Or the cubes were being used as a power source and I just turned off the batteries on a priceless and irreplaceable cache of data.