Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Booley posted:

No, its still one of the best ways to get started with Death Guard. All the characters in it are unique to the box, and it's the best way to get poxwalkers.

I think Dark Imperium (or Know No Fear) is the only way to get the 10-man* set of zombies (there are two squads of 10 in DI), the 6-man* squad is available by itself.

*: :shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
Some big downsides to resin printing is that the material takes quite a bit of work to clean up after printing and it's so brittle that one gently caress up can break large pieces off the model.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Some tournaments have thresholds for certain amount of GW models.

What's the typical policy for third party bases?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cessna posted:

Unless you are standing in Warhammer World and pointing them out to a GW employee I don’t think anyone would care. Most local game stores actively encourage them because they sell them separately.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Some big downsides to resin printing is that the material takes quite a bit of work to clean up after printing and it's so brittle that one gently caress up can break large pieces off the model.

I think this is still the main impediment to home printing being a threat to miniature makers. No printers are truly plug and play. You still can't just throw an STL file at a program and bing bong bing get a miniature a few hours later. It's messy, it smells, it might burn your house down and they go wrong and require manual tweaking and fiddling all the time. The quality is there but the actual process is still firmly enthusiast.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

TTerrible posted:

I think this is still the main impediment to home printing being a threat to miniature makers. No printers are truly plug and play. You still can't just throw an STL file at a program and bing bong bing get a miniature a few hours later. It's messy, it smells, it might burn your house down and they go wrong and require manual tweaking and fiddling all the time. The quality is there but the actual process is still firmly enthusiast.

I love tweaking and chopping up my models to make different ones and with resin that is absolutely impossible. Trying to cut an arm off without shattering the entire model is almost impossible.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's cool when things explode, sorry.

EDIT: Serious answer, get MeshMixer or something and remove the bits you want to chop pre-print so you've got a great base to work from. It's fun!

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 22, 2020

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
The major benefit to printed models is using exploded ones for terrain.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

PierreTheMime posted:

Unless you are standing in Warhammer World and pointing them out to a GW employee I don’t think anyone would care. Most local game stores actively encourage them because they sell them separately.

Funnily enough, this isn't the case according to their own rules:

quote:

All miniatures in your collection must be Citadel or Forge World miniatures.

At the home of Warhammer, third party miniatures are not permitted - any models you use must be either Citadel or Forge World miniatures.

That being said, if you’re getting creative with conversions then generic parts such as plasticard, wire and brass rod are fine to use, but any cast miniature parts specifically designed for models must be produced by Citadel or Forge World.

Note that this refers to the actual miniatures in your collection. These requirements do not apply to the bases of your models.

EDIT: Interestingly it also says this:

quote:

Are 3D printed parts I’ve designed allowed?

Much like hand sculpted detail, if you’ve gone to the effort of designing and printing your own bespoke parts for your army, then these parts are indeed permitted at our events. Commercially available, third party 3D printed parts aren’t permitted
though. Please bear in mind that if we do spot cast/printed parts on miniatures at our events, we will ask you to prove where they’re from, and may ask for them to be removed if there’s any doubt as to their origins.

Sounds like a nightmare if you're 3D printed shoulder pads for a semi-famous non-mainstream chapter or something like that, there's basically only one way you can print a shoulder pad with a specific logo

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 22, 2020

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Kitchner posted:

Funnily enough, this isn't the case according to their own rules:

Oh, even better. The real answer is no one cares if you use custom bases, so long as they're the valid size.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Winklebottom posted:

Are you familiar with GW’s technical paints? Typhus Corrosion and Nurgle’s Rot might be what you’re looking for. Typhus adds a gritty texture to mimic corrosion and Nurgle’s Rot makes gooey yellow green slime

moths posted:

Nurgle's corruption takes a lot of impossible forms. Ceramite shouldn't rust, but it also shouldn't grow cysts, blisters and teeth.

Do what looks cool.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Speaking or corruption, I decided to go for the rusty look with my Death guard, so here may be some examples of what you are talking about

:

I used Typhus corrosion then dry brush ryza rust over it to get the rusted corrosion look.

Nurgle can cause decay in anything so I love the look.
Oooooo nice.

Kitchner posted:

Power armour has always been basically ceramic, so technically it wouldn't rust. That being said, it's the main armour plating itself that's a ceramic, there's plenty of metal details all over the model.

On top of that, rust is only one of the things Nurgle would do to power armour. You can have generic stains from vomit, pus, and blood. You could have ooze seeping out between joints in the armour. You can have mould or weird warp flesh growing over the armour.

On top of of that, rust effects that can look really. Good include the rust sort of discolouring the stuff it is near, like this:

So even if you're only painting rust, you can still make it discolour the ceramic armour, you may just want to Google a bunch of photo references to help you make it look realistic. If you don't, sometimes these things look subtly wrong even if people can't put their finger on why.

I really appreciate it guys. Going to order paints and the like so wish me luck. Going to have fun playing around and customizing these guys. Even thinking of ordering some Nurgle Marines just to add to my cheap old plastics. Figure between gore, torn flesh and spikey Night Lords and repulsively Plagued Marines I will have a nightmarish bit of fun.
Big fan of this guy
https://www.shopbeksinski.com/
So got a theme.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Going to take my HeroQuest miniatures to Warhamer World and get in a fight over whether the figures produced by Milton Bradley under license qualify for being acceptable.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

quote:

These requirements do not apply to the bases of your models.

Huh, cool. Thanks for finding that!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

One of you jokes that GW doesn't care about eldar, well you might be onto something as whatever their endgame is it isn't a threat to Huge Mannity

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/21/the-imperiums-endgw-homepage-post-4/

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Man the eldar are just trying to survive. Why would they be a threat.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Hihohe posted:

Man the eldar are just trying to survive. Why would they be a threat.

Eldar are a minor nuisance at worst and that's probably due to raiders hitting imperial shipping lanes. It helps that their entire species is physically incapable of winning in any meaningful way.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Haven't even the Eldar said in the canon that there simply aren't enough of them to impact the Imperium? Also their endgame kind of lines up with humanity's since they both want to eradicate the threat from Chaos, it's the same reason there's nothing about the Tau on the list.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Haven't even the Eldar said in the canon that there simply aren't enough of them to impact the Imperium? Also their endgame kind of lines up with humanity's since they both want to eradicate the threat from Chaos, it's the same reason there's nothing about the Tau on the list.

The who.

Serious note, I thought the Eldar wanted to become some gestalt entity that would reign supreme over the galaxy.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The Eldar mostly want to avert the destruction of their species, it's like wondering about how you'd redecorate the kitchen while your house burns down. The Eldar and the Tau just don't post an existential threat to the Imperium because there's not enough of them. They could kill a thousand humans each before being taken down by a lucky lasbolt and they'd still lose eventually.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Typically the Eldar only gently caress with the Imperium when doing so prevents some great cataclysm from occurring some time in the future. Some Farseer has visions of The Great Devourer overwhelming a sector, so he raids strategic Imperial worlds intending to provoke Space Marines into showing up to their defence before the big bad bugs arrive.

Edit:

notaspy posted:

Serious note, I thought the Eldar wanted to become some gestalt entity that would reign supreme over the galaxy.

They did, yes. That's how Slaanesh happened.

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Eldar know they're not major players any more. They hover at the edges trying to manipulate/assist the imperium into scoring a win where it suits them, conversely they'll jam an ork shaped wedge into the imperium if the tea leaves indicate these humans are loving something up.

They still have an important job defending the webway, but it's generally sitting on the bench for my beautiful children of asuryan.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Mostly their thing is becoming a gestalt entity to kill the previous gestalt entity they created.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, they're in the weird position of being an extremely ancient and powerful race with a limited/diminishing footprint. Like, uhh, elves.

The Black Library might prove instrumental to the final defeat of Chaos, but that's kind of irrelevant because they're never going to End Times 40k and if they do it won't be with the "good guys" winning.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Mostly their thing is becoming a gestalt entity to kill the previous gestalt entity they created.

The ynnari are shysters.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

The ynnari are shysters.

It's kind of funny how the Yncarne looks almost exactly like what one would expect a humanoid avatar of Slaanesh to look like *sips tea*

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
just gotta wait for the psychic gorillas to freeze to death in the winter.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Von_Doom posted:

Oooooo nice.

I really appreciate it guys. Going to order paints and the like so wish me luck. Going to have fun playing around and customizing these guys. Even thinking of ordering some Nurgle Marines just to add to my cheap old plastics. Figure between gore, torn flesh and spikey Night Lords and repulsively Plagued Marines I will have a nightmarish bit of fun.
Big fan of this guy
https://www.shopbeksinski.com/
So got a theme.

Thanks for the feed back and I look forward to seeing what you make.

Then pictures I showed do not do the rust effect justice, but you can make it look amazing on your models.

The best thing is, if you add some puss or blood it adds a good liquid contrasting effect to the dry and flaky looking rust.

GW technical paints are really that good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I almost wish GW named them something else because "technical paint" makes them sound like top tier advanced level stuff when it's really the opposite.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I almost wish GW named them something else because "technical paint" makes them sound like top tier advanced level stuff when it's really the opposite.

In fairness they are hard to use right. I only got a decent effort with ryza rust and typhus corrosion because I found a decent guide to using them.

Blood for the blood god is a great example, it has to be used with finesse for best effect.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

Alternatively it's easy to use and by calling it "technical paint" it makes people feel advanced and accomplished when using it. Personally I think the stuff is great.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kitchner posted:

Alternatively it's easy to use and by calling it "technical paint" it makes people feel advanced and accomplished when using it. Personally I think the stuff is great.

Oh I absolutely love them, my Blightspawn would be poop garbage from a non-Nurgle butt without them. I just was kind of scared off of them for a bit just because of the classification.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

The Eldar know they're not major players any more. They hover at the edges trying to manipulate/assist the imperium into scoring a win where it suits them, conversely they'll jam an ork shaped wedge into the imperium if the tea leaves indicate these humans are loving something up.

They still have an important job defending the webway, but it's generally sitting on the bench for my beautiful children of asuryan.

Just lol if you won't consign an entire planet of humans to death to save one Eldar life

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just lol if you won't consign an entire planet of humans to death to save one Eldar life

It only makes sense.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh I absolutely love them, my Blightspawn would be poop garbage from a non-Nurgle butt without them. I just was kind of scared off of them for a bit just because of the classification.

That's where the GW sales pitch comes in. Every staff member tells you all the techniques they use are easy and they can show you how to do them. Then you sit there looking at your attempt and looking at theirs like "wtf this looks no where near as good" and they say "ahh you just got to practice, but look you're almost as good as me!". They do all this super enthusiastically and to be fair washes and technical paints are a super easy way to make a model look good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Inspector_666 posted:

I know you're supposed to use nihilakh oxide to make verdigris effects but it's so drat good for glow effects. Paint crevice white then put in a little bit of that and voila, white glowing plasma vent

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Yeah, like I had said printed models don't get there without a lot more finishing work than traditional ones. Plus the material loving SUCKS to work with.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Not like brittleness isn't an issue with traditional cast resin as well, though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

darnon posted:

Not like brittleness isn't an issue with traditional cast resin as well, though.

I mean at least it isn't finecast

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Thousand Sons maulerfiend I'm working on. Gonna flank with his demon prince buddy, hopefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Finished up my Catachan Colonel!

My FLGS gave me the model for supporting them while they were stuck with only doing curbside or mail-order sales, so they get a little plug in the background.

He's a really fun model to paint. I hope they do another release of the model eventually. He's just really cool in general.

I used some of the Vallejo fluorescent paints on the alien blood and the servoskull's eye. The picture doesn't quite do it justice; they look really good in real life.