Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bloody posted:

that's like asking for Ms paint inside photoshop
Have you ever used the repl that's part of the debugger in visual studio? Do you think they should remove it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
python has both and they are quite needs suiting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

any good debugger contains a good repl, with ties to the non-repl pieces of the debugging tools

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
one thing i appreciate about the web environment is that it has a repl built-in, and you can study execution basically at any point and poke at the internals of things

i would love to run python or other plangs in a mode that would allow me to just connect to a port, press pause and debug it with a repl right there built-in. MSVC/gdb can kinda do th<optimized out>

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
java can do that, and it owns. idk about plangs

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

ah yes a quick exploration of “is this thing allowing duplicates, dropping them or merging them, the doc doesn’t say”, “does the error actually have that info in it since its type is just a map?”or “wait does the Unicode library consider \r\n to be one or two graphemes?” is infinitely faster to check in a debugger than doing quick checks in a repl

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

lol if you’ve never used gdb as a repl to poke some piece of production software into shape

start up software under gdb, set a breakpoint right before that segfault, fix the issue and continue when it happens

quality
software

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Soricidus posted:

java can do that, and it owns. idk about plangs

you can import the repl in python, it’s great for debugging, you just import and do code.interact() and it drops you right in with whatever scope you give it

super helpful because the type checking doesn’t work and mypy is garbage

animist
Aug 28, 2018
c / c++ / rust debugging is still a pain in the rear end (with open source tools at least.)

probably gonna stay that way til Linux people realize GUIs can occasionally be useful, which is to say, never

there is a rust repl, but it works by parsing compiler error messages instead of trying to actually integrate with rustc, because rustc is a droning monolith from which no light escapes. extremely rust

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i think y'all are talking past eachother. most people who exclusively use a debugger evaluate statements to explore poo poo in the "watch" or whatever section all the time, and most people who use the repl to explore poo poo do the same.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

animist posted:

c / c++ / rust debugging is still a pain in the rear end (with open source tools at least.)

probably gonna stay that way til Linux people realize GUIs can occasionally be useful, which is to say, never

no problem champ

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's been a bunch of efforts to build a time-travelling debugger in Linux over the years and somehow none of those efforts ever took.

I'd much rather have one of those than a REPL.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sapozhnik posted:

There's been a bunch of efforts to build a time-travelling debugger in Linux over the years and somehow none of those efforts ever took.

I'd much rather have one of those than a REPL.

rr is used all the time to debug Firefox, and it holds up. you need a pretty crazy program for it to not work these days I think, as long as you have the right CPU and OS

pernosco has a more sophisticated thing based on rr that you can buy now. web-based UI, test failure in CI and a URL gets sent to jump into the recorded session. works on V8 JS as well, with more dynamic langs coming

for client side web there’s WebReplay that requires an instrumenting browser, but seems pretty complete in its capture for its current progress

animist
Aug 28, 2018

rip me apparently

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I would simply use Clion

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

I would simply use Clion

i keep thinking of snoop lion

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i tried vscode for c++ and lol its poo poo

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Suspicious Dish posted:

one thing i appreciate about the web environment is that it has a repl built-in, and you can study execution basically at any point and poke at the internals of things

i would love to run python or other plangs in a mode that would allow me to just connect to a port, press pause and debug it with a repl right there built-in. MSVC/gdb can kinda do th<optimized out>

ptvsd can do this

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
visual studio is pretty dang good for c# development but it having one repl inside the debugger and a different one outside the debugger and they don’t interoperate or even work the same is dumb as heck

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

animist posted:

I loving hate clicking on things. I mean VS's debugging is decent (except for the registers window, wtf). I just don't want to have to be a pro csgo player to operate a debugger.

vscode's debugging display is comically stupid though. Yeah I totally want to see just decimal and octal, wtf. And then you're supposed to type -exec before everything lmao. It's almost like it was made by someone who doesn't use gdb regularly.

If you use a good gdbinit, life becomes hella easy.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

dougdrums posted:

(except for the registers window, wtf)

the registers window is hilarious and my pet theory is that it's a piece in the Visual Studio codebase that no one at microsoft knows what's going on and they're all deeply afraid of touching it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

dougdrums posted:

I loving hate clicking on things. I mean VS's debugging is decent (except for the registers window, wtf). I just don't want to have to be a pro csgo player to operate a debugger.

so use the keyboard shortcuts? i usually don't have a hand on my mouse when debugging in vs

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
help

my boss really really likes go

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Bored Online posted:

help

panic

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bored Online posted:

help

time to brush up on canadian aboriginal syllabics

"canadian aboriginal" is kind of a lovely name. here, have some code points for your writing, they're named after your genocidal settlers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pokeyman posted:

time to brush up on canadian aboriginal syllabics

"canadian aboriginal" is kind of a lovely name. here, have some code points for your writing, they're named after your genocidal settlers

whoever decided on that name was either not canadian or just super racist because the preferred and regularly-used terminology has been First Nations since the 70s

Bored Online posted:

help

stop working for google

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

whoever decided on that name was either not canadian or just super racist because the preferred and regularly-used terminology has been First Nations since the 70s

as a settler canadian I would default to First Nations but I don't know anything. does that include inuit?

apparently "canadian aboriginal syllabics" was put together in part by a missionary so maybe it's a more accurate name than I thought. then it spread faster than the missionaries and despite the colonial zeal for speaking english. it started as cree syllabics, and idk where "canadian" got attached since it predates canada

this has been my summary of the extensive and interesting wikipedia articles

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
not 100% sure but I think generally First Nations doesn't include Inuit or Métis because they prefer to be identified separately for historical reasons.

and yeah that sounds like a pretty realistic origin story. I know that in Nunavut there's Inuktitut syllabic writing on most public signs not entirely unlike how there's french on bilingual signs in Quebec, and wikipedia says they're related to the "canadian aboriginal syllabics".

that being said I am also a white dude so I am not an authoritative source; I grew up near the Kwantlen First Nation so my K-12 education had a fair bit of First Nations social studies involved, but that's obviously no substitute for first-party experience

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Plorkyeran posted:

so use the keyboard shortcuts? i usually don't have a hand on my mouse when debugging in vs
I really haven't used vs in a couple of years, but are there specific keyboard shortcuts for switching focus to the memory and disassembly inputs? Or for changing width in the memory window? Or for setting breakpoints in the disassembly window (just tab over and use the arrow keys maybe)? If so that's amazing.

Another gripe that I remember is that I'd want to disassemble at some arbitrary address and it would just go nope, gently caress you; so I'd have to scroll to the actual memory location to see it.

And you have to use windows, which is the other problem.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

dougdrums posted:

I really haven't used vs in a couple of years, but are there specific keyboard shortcuts for switching focus to the memory and disassembly inputs? Or for changing width in the memory window? Or for setting breakpoints in the disassembly window (just tab over and use the arrow keys maybe)? If so that's amazing.

there was pretty clearly someone working on vs who made it their pet project to make all sorts of things hotkeyable because most of those sorts of things are doable with the keyboard. probably not changing the width of the memory window.

dougdrums posted:

And you have to use windows, which is the other problem.

also the reason i don't use it very much any more even though vc++'s debugger manages to be dramatically faster and more usable than xcode's even when it's running in a vm

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

not 100% sure but I think generally First Nations doesn't include Inuit or Métis because they prefer to be identified separately for historical reasons.
That is correct. "Indians" is still used specifically when referring to the actual Indian status according to official acts. First nations refers to specific groups (which exclude Inuit and Métis as you mentioned), and "Aboriginal People" is the most inclusive term to use per 21 Things You May Not Have Known About The Indian Act which is a very good short book and has that question in there near the end.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
holy poo poo I was looking something up on stackoverflow and one of the answers begins #! /usr/bin/env perl6

somebody
actually
used it

:psyduck:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you lie!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

holy poo poo I was looking something up on stackoverflow and one of the answers begins #! /usr/bin/env perl6

somebody
actually
used it

:psyduck:
Maybe it's a symlink to python3?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

mystes posted:

Maybe it's a symlink to python3?

Ah, like how perl8.com used to redirect to the Scala website.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doom Mathematic posted:

Ah, like how perl8.com used to redirect to the Scala website.

I thought that was blovi8.com

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Subjunctive posted:

I thought that was blovi8.com

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie: