Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

Do you need them

yes dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the b is for boomer

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011

BobTheDestroyer fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 22, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:hmmyes:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

gently caress you I'll say what I want in my house.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Senor Tron posted:

Massive amount, but honestly easy to happen when working with datasets that large where a focus is on getting payments out. Like the article says, it was the estimations that were out, not the money actually paid.

The significant thing which a journo pointed out on the radio was that the assumption of $130 billion being pumped into the economy has been factored into to a bunch of RBA and Treasury economic forecasts.

They're assuming there's going to be an extra $130 billions of consumption, and all the employment and so on outcomes that flow on from that, instead there's going to be $70 billion in consumption which is a significant difference when government spending is just about the only thing propping up the economy.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

gently caress you I'll say what I want in my house.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah I actual did a lol. Goldmine.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hambeet posted:

it'll have a poo poo name

It'll be called Binge

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

TISM Rage will be starting shortly if any of you need reminding.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Anidav posted:

It'll be called Binge

god loving damnit

"I'm binge-watching!" hurr durr

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Budzilla posted:

TISM Rage will be starting shortly if any of you need reminding.

Ugh. I'm wrong

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Anidav posted:

It'll be called Binge

gross

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

It'll be called Binge

Very probable

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Thanks for the feedback on Unionchatte.

So the clauses for the Higher Ed Jobs Protection Framework should be out by Wednesday. We will have to go over them with a fine tooth comb, but I'm not expecting the VCs to give us a whole lot of time to vote. Ours was initially going to hold the campus vote on the 25th, bit obviously that's not going to hold .

So all nteu members will vote as a block and the results will be disaggregated between branches. Any branch that voted down the framework will run dead if their VC has decided to sign on. NTEU resources cannot be used to promote a no vote campaign because it's contrary to the position of the national council, but members can do what they want - they just can't use NTEU mailing lists or staff to promote that. If the clauses are terrible and it's obvious that the national leadership hosed up then I guess there will be some sort of major fracture between the branches and the divisions so hopefully not.

Once the vote is complete I expect apart from USyd and maybe RMIT, most campus will vote for it even if their VC isn't on board. Then campus ballots of all staff happen and I imagine it will get up everywhere those are being conducted because the vote no minority is tiny in most places that are interested.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-23/coronavirus-jobkeeper-bungle-a-good-thing-for-budget-bottom-line/12278432

OK riddle me this: Why did noone in Treasury, the ATO, ANAO, The ABS or any of the many agencies who regulaily watch the 'big' numbers and forecast stuff notice this 'bungle'? Could it be that 25 years of the efficency dividend has hosed over the APS to the point that there really is nobody paying enough attention to catch the gently caress up? That could actually have some legs as removing 10% per annum for 25 years leaves you with 0.072 of what you started with. Now, somehow the APS isn't 8% the size it was in 1995. In fact according to https://www.apsc.gov.au/size-aps head count remains steady at ~ 150K. I smell bullshit.

But as responsible economic management goes this is an eclipse sized gently caress up.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cartoon posted:

Could it be that 25 years ofthe efficency dividend has hosed over the APS to the point that there really is nobody paying enough attention to catch the gently caress up?
Partly this, partly that a lot stuff being put through the APS, or even state public services, isn't getting the usual amount of checks and readings before being put up to Parliament. An example of this would be the changes to tenants giving notice in Victoria, they did the exact opposite of what was intended in many ways (locking periodic leases in for six months, effectively).

Also, wasn't JobKeeper announced as a $130bil program BEFORE any kind of implementation or EOI's or forms were filled out by businesses applying?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Murdoxh media currently harping on Labor sating Australia is ruining its relationship with China. Im trying to find another source to get the actual context but if this is accurate what the gently caress Labor?

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Lid posted:

Murdoxh media ... accurate ... ?

What does your heart tell you?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lid posted:

Murdoxh media currently harping on Labor sating Australia is ruining its relationship with China. Im trying to find another source to get the actual context but if this is accurate what the gently caress Labor?

Murdoch media attempting to fight the biggest threat to the LNP? Yeah must be purely truth.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
I'm pretty sure I read something from AAP about labor hitting out at the libs over the relationship with China. Saying we shouldn't attack our biggest trade partner or something like that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Lid posted:

Purk posted:

I'm pretty sure I read something from AAP about labor hitting out at the libs over the relationship with China. Saying we shouldn't attack our biggest trade partner or something like that.

It's everyone's favourite friends-of-coal hack Joel Fitzgibbons putting his big fat mouth out to say stupid poo poo to undermine Anthony Albanese again.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Yeah, I just found the article and it's just Fitzgibbon griping about damaged trade and, from what I can tell, no other Labor Mps saying anything.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I mean I think Wong came out and said she supports the WHO looking into the coronavirus etc but perhaps before we stick out and damage our relationship some behind the scenes diplomacy might have been nice.

There’s sticking to your principles and then there is nuking a trade relationship for something that ultimately is going to either happen or not anyway and it’s not quite clear whether the Chinese are done with us on that second part yet

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Still stuck in my head, thanks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Late quarantine noodle chat

Can recommend

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Purk posted:

Yeah, I just found the article and it's just Fitzgibbon griping about damaged trade and, from what I can tell, no other Labor Mps saying anything.

Yeah found some quotes

Labor frontbencher Joel Fitzgibbon has accused the government of demonising China and its communist government.

"About a month ago, our Prime Minister ran out in front of the rest of the world before consulting anyone else and decided we need an inquiry into COVID-19," Mr Fitzgibbon said on ABC News.

"Of course, we need an inquiry but the way in which our Prime Minister went about that was offensive to the Chinese. They did believe they were being targeted."

"He said we need UN-style weapons inspectors marching into China, kicking down the laboratory door, insisting on the test-tubes and the computers and the Petri dishes," Mr Fitzgibbon said.

"(Australia) didn't need to be out there in front, offending the Chinese, and if we hadn't done that, we might not be having some of the diplomatic relationship troubles we're having at the moment.

"We might not be dealing with barley … export ban, and we might not have four meat processors prevented from exporting to China and we might not have started our conversation about what might or might not happen with iron ore."

Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese dodged questions from reporters in Sydney about Mr Fitzgibbon's comments but admitted they hadn't spoken.

Asked if he had an issue with Mr Fitzgibbon freelancing on China, Mr Albanese said: "I speak on behalf of the Labor Party."

Lid fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 23, 2020

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Late quarantine noodle chat

Can recommend

Hopefully I can find some here - run out of indo mi.

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Spanish Flu originated in Kansas.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

A Wild Animal posted:

Spanish Flu originated in Kansas.

Its equally likely to have originated in France (and still possible it originated in Spain, there is no hard evidence I'm aware of of a properganda driven cover-up, just strong speculation)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I think the Chinese minister for health was like "oh cool, if that's how we're doing this we're all gonna get reparations for AIDS being described in America"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's loving ludicrous.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Me and my colleague both had the same reaction which was basically "...now?"

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Everybody shares one measure of blame or another for this, but in uncertain times like these it's nice to be reassured by the ever-present human instinct to band together in search of a scapegoat

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

fitting

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

:piss:

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If China can be sued for Coronavirus Deaths in America; then America can be sued for Global Warming Deaths in the Bay of Bengal. This will set a Precedent that they will regret; and deservedly so.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

counties holding each other to account (sueing - treaties - whatever) is less about the morals of something and more a direct relationship to relative strength of military or economic position. e.g. - Philippines challenge to the Chinese running roughshod over Philippines economic exclusion zone been right but a moot point.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

A Wild Animal posted:

If China can be sued for Coronavirus Deaths in America; then America can be sued for Global Warming Deaths in the Bay of Bengal. This will set a Precedent that they will regret; and deservedly so.

Neither China nor America gives poo poo one about international legal proceedings attempting to hold them to account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I citizen arrest the country of China

None of these mechanisms exist, no one's suing anyone or "inquesting" anyone whatever the gently caress that was ever supposed to mean concerning a manouvre against a sovereign country, it's just belligerence

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 23, 2020