Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

euphronius posted:

would you drive if 1 in 100 car trips would kill u

what do you take me for, some kind of COMMIE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i would drive the death car 100000 times

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
How is a virus real? Can't see it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Then again in NC the beaches are seeing nearly normal tourist levels and my chud cousin is instaing from packed restaurant after packed restaurant with no distancing visible, and I saw a packed restaurant with no distancing myself here in NC today

it'll cause a spike for sure but I just wonder how long lasting the "out of the house" surge is going to be lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

euphronius posted:

schools open in three Months

this is going to be the real lol when it happens

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Well that's one way to get rid of 1%

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im not going outside for like several more months at least

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
grotesque lil plague bearing goblins

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Homeless Friend posted:

this is going to be the real lol when it happens

gonna be interesting to see the unstoppable force of budget cuts due to the depression slam into the immovable object of social distancing vis a vis classroom sizes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

anime was right posted:

im not going outside for like several more months at least

until there’s a vaccine or is burned out for me

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

Be exciting to see how long you're able to restrict the rights of citizens to travel anywhere once Trump declares the emergency over.

You don't have to have an airport in your state tho, and you don't have to let the Jones Act companies use your dock space.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Raskolnikov38 posted:

until there’s a vaccine or is burned out for me

seriously unless banks and instacart go bunk i think i can ride this out. hopefully. maybe. hahah.... haha....

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I do think this thread has (impressively, I know) overestimated the stupidity of people in general, which is easy to do when The Most Stupid People are also the ones being reported on/have their twitters linked ITT 24/7, but covid's not going anywhere except into people's lungs at this point so

i do my best to bring this thread the stupidest takes possibe

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

california schools are already planning for layoffs, the only way to still have “school” is going to be setting up a movie screen projector on the football field and trying to teach 200 kids in 6 foot isolation circles at once

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

SKULL.GIF posted:

99% survival rate with a (conservative) estimate of 33% of the population getting it is 25 million deaths worldwide

we are at... 339,425 deaths

:xcom:

chuds don't consider the well-being of anyone else so no amount of deaths would matter to them

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yesh posted:

chuds don't consider the well-being of anyone else so no amount of deaths would matter to them

they want to die as soon as possible without suicide so they can go home to jesus

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like 70% of americans believe that this is at best a waiting room and at worst a test made by the devil, and by this i mean the universe and all of existence, this is like a central tenet of christianity

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Wedge Regret

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely not a good candidate right now :/ Hope those boys find a good home

They are in good hands and the agency makes sure they end up in a good home.

They will live the best life.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

Just because your job considers not returning to work a voluntary resignation doesn't mean the state does.

am I signing away more rights than usual if I do fill out the form? it has several checkboxes of things like "I promise to keep in touch with my employer during this time" and "I promise to provide medical documentation if needed"

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

9/11 had like a 99.99999% national survival rate what was the big deal?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the sun loving sucks and is bad for your skin so lol at prematurely aging rather than being holed up at home playing video games and only going out for groceries or to pick up some food

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

triple sulk posted:

the sun loving sucks and is bad for your skin so lol at prematurely aging rather than being holed up at home playing video games and only going out for groceries or to pick up some food

yeah but sunning your bung with a direct ray is real top notch

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Linux Nazi posted:

9/11 had like a 99.99999% national survival rate what was the big deal?

it was an excuse to kill brown people for oil a direct attack on our Great Country by the Bad Guys, this is just a bunch of vulnerable citizens dying from the plague so who cares

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

shovelbum posted:

You don't have to have an airport in your state tho, and you don't have to let the Jones Act companies use your dock space.

Hawaii bulldozing the airstrips would be a hell of a visual for the Uncivil War chapter.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

99% survival rate
no need to vaccinate

https://twitter.com/J_Kaz_K/status/1264030951450923008?s=20
https://twitter.com/Carbongate/status/1262138017403322369?s=20
https://twitter.com/BanTheBBC/status/1261901742050082816?s=20
https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1261925731245764610?s=20

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

triple sulk posted:

im going to the beach tomorrow

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

im going to the beach tomorrow
                               /

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So this 99.99% bullshit is the newest line in chud land I take it? How long before we get a trump tweet with it

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Coatlicue posted:

My bf works for credit union. They've been drive thru only for a while. Now they are insisting to open up lobby for up to 25 ppl on june 1st.

When workers pointed out our county has no more than 10 ppl rule until mid june, the manager said "we are a state orginization so we go by state guidelines"

Nevermind it's Indianapolis so obviously we have the highest concentration of cases in the state here.

The lobby can't hold 10 people with social distance, much less 25.

They have not installed plexiglass and do not know when it will be installed (corporate office has plexiglass already)

They will not be mandating mask use by customera or employees.

There is one branch that already has confirmed active covid case.

Their plan is to have NO protective measures.

So now we get to decide between no job/insurance and probable exposure.

(And we're luckier than most that he even gets to choose!)

There's a weird twist of thinking that I'm seeing widely in the population. For most people, whoops, too bad, your employer wasn't prepared for a 100-year pandemic, and you're now unemployed. Those people are sitting at home, with two days' food in their pantries, two weeks until their EBT cards refill, and have spent their stimulus check and unemployment benefits on rent the past two months, and aren't sure how they're going to pay rent next month. There is enough food, even if Capitalism isn't designing a system to deliver it to wise people that helpfully choose to take themselves out of the equation for the time being. But there is enough food. It's a great time to plug in with (or help to launch) Mutual Aid Networks. The communities that do so before winter will suffer significantly less death, pain, and fewer long-term disabilities.

Now rent is a particular question here; are they really going to issue eviction orders on the 40million recently-unemployed Americans? Consider the scale, the total cost of paying every rent every month for a year vs. the amount of money being printed over the last two months to bail out the big corporations. In any case, landlords too are humans, and yeah, their numbers are just as hosed as ours. We know it would be foolish, especially during a pandemic, especially at the onset of a depression where few can afford rent - to suddenly evict a sizable percentage of the US citizenry (to say nothing of all the undocumented persons).

Eviction Moratorium must be continued, indefinitely. Evictions serve neither the economic nor the health interests of the country, and we know by the sheer number of people who are suddenly on the chopping block that we can throw out entirely the idea that it is 'deserved.' So leaving behind blame-oriented thinking, we are left looking toward the future and designing solutions. No evictions is a no brainer.

Now, if you're laid off, not sure if any further benefits are coming, but you have food stamps and you don't have to worry about eviction - you're a lot more likely to just stay home and comply with evidence-based best practices (regardless of what government agencies would prefer you to be doing) right?

So then there's people who were furloughed, recieved a taste of the unemployment font, and are now being asked to return to work. We know it's a foolish ploy by ignorant economists and gentry to somehow mitigate the absolute disaster of an economy that is to follow. I'm pretty sure it won't help one bit, but nonetheless - they want you working, and they want you off unemployment. Because that sacrifice seems to help number go up? And now you think 'I'm one of the lucky ones, I even HAVE a job!'

No, you're not. You're one of the unlucky ones. Being manipulated by capitalists, upon threat of starvation, displacement and worse - to set your alarm clock, walk into what you know to be an unsafe environment, and to do so until an outbreak happens and your boss and the government freak out again and you're closed again and definitely unemployed oh and now you've got a sore throat and cough and maybe death.

But when you do the decision-matrix on this, you're not that unlucky. If you choose to stay home, you're in exactly the same bed as the people who don't even have a job. I mean, yeah, unemployment benefits... well, they aren't all that confident that's gunna keep flowing anyway, and you're by no means alone. There's a LOT of people at home, right now, eating their beans, waiting for their food stamps to replenish, unsure of how they're going to pay rent. It's not like you, uniquely, failed. The whole system is kaput. If there will be a competent government response (and it's looking very doubtful), that response will first address the largest identifiable groups of 'people in need.' It's not a bad bet to be one of the recently unemployed-by-choice. By the time it's an issue, you can make a strong evidence-based case (that nobody will listen to, of course) that by staying home you created more 'value' for your employer, the state, yourself, and the world broadly by making the choices you made. Also, by not agreeing to work, you make it that tiny little bit harder for your employer to open, to become a vector, to further spread that plague. It's honorable. And it leaves you no worse off than the other 40 /million/ humans in the same circumstance between those two shores.

Start organizing your Mutual Aid Networks. Ignore the capitalists commands. Nobody can compel you to do what you know is wrong for yourself and humanity. There's better hope for real solutions if you abandon the capitalists altogether and start organizing,.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Zil posted:

So this 99.99% bullshit is the newest line in chud land I take it? How long before we get a trump tweet with it

it's actually a few weeks old, but I'd never seen it/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zil posted:

99% of 327 million is like four million people. that’s assuming the virus doesn’t mutate or evolve in some way and get even more lethal. lmao

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
set up televised infection booths and tally how many chuds roni themselves

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

euphronius posted:

would you drive if 1 in 100 car trips would kill u

that’s not how random percentages work

the first trip could kill you, or you could never die while driving

it’s like rolling a dice, theoretically you could roll all sixes for a week straight and it wouldn’t change the %

so current 1% chance of death is not really limited to reaching 1% and then stopping

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Uglycat posted:

Start organizing your Mutual Aid Networks. Ignore the capitalists commands. Nobody can compel you to do what you know is wrong for yourself and humanity. There's better hope for real solutions if you abandon the capitalists altogether and start organizing,.

the capitalists have the state the power and control the resources we need to survive. setting up mutual aid is good, but it's not enough. workers aren't allowed to have enough resources so support each other as a class independent of wage labor. capitalists won't let a system independent of them arise. we can't just abandon capitalism, we need to organize to take power and put in place a new system.

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 05:11 on May 23, 2020

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
it is clear to me that god is infected w/coronavirus & wants his flock hot w/plague

rural amerika has increasingly become episcopalians 4 nurgle

blithely & happily spreding plague shaking every hand in sight joking about masks & getting in heated arguments about not spending memorial day w/the grankids

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

americans arent good at Number

a&w's promotion campaign for a third pound burger failed because americans thought it was smaller than a quarter pound

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Uglycat posted:

There's a weird twist of thinking that I'm seeing widely in the population. For most people, whoops, too bad, your employer wasn't prepared for a 100-year pandemic, and you're now unemployed. Those people are sitting at home, with two days' food in their pantries, two weeks until their EBT cards refill, and have spent their stimulus check and unemployment benefits on rent the past two months, and aren't sure how they're going to pay rent next month. There is enough food, even if Capitalism isn't designing a system to deliver it to wise people that helpfully choose to take themselves out of the equation for the time being. But there is enough food. It's a great time to plug in with (or help to launch) Mutual Aid Networks. The communities that do so before winter will suffer significantly less death, pain, and fewer long-term disabilities.

Now rent is a particular question here; are they really going to issue eviction orders on the 40million recently-unemployed Americans? Consider the scale, the total cost of paying every rent every month for a year vs. the amount of money being printed over the last two months to bail out the big corporations. In any case, landlords too are humans, and yeah, their numbers are just as hosed as ours. We know it would be foolish, especially during a pandemic, especially at the onset of a depression where few can afford rent - to suddenly evict a sizable percentage of the US citizenry (to say nothing of all the undocumented persons).

Eviction Moratorium must be continued, indefinitely. Evictions serve neither the economic nor the health interests of the country, and we know by the sheer number of people who are suddenly on the chopping block that we can throw out entirely the idea that it is 'deserved.' So leaving behind blame-oriented thinking, we are left looking toward the future and designing solutions. No evictions is a no brainer.

Now, if you're laid off, not sure if any further benefits are coming, but you have food stamps and you don't have to worry about eviction - you're a lot more likely to just stay home and comply with evidence-based best practices (regardless of what government agencies would prefer you to be doing) right?

So then there's people who were furloughed, recieved a taste of the unemployment font, and are now being asked to return to work. We know it's a foolish ploy by ignorant economists and gentry to somehow mitigate the absolute disaster of an economy that is to follow. I'm pretty sure it won't help one bit, but nonetheless - they want you working, and they want you off unemployment. Because that sacrifice seems to help number go up? And now you think 'I'm one of the lucky ones, I even HAVE a job!'

No, you're not. You're one of the unlucky ones. Being manipulated by capitalists, upon threat of starvation, displacement and worse - to set your alarm clock, walk into what you know to be an unsafe environment, and to do so until an outbreak happens and your boss and the government freak out again and you're closed again and definitely unemployed oh and now you've got a sore throat and cough and maybe death.

But when you do the decision-matrix on this, you're not that unlucky. If you choose to stay home, you're in exactly the same bed as the people who don't even have a job. I mean, yeah, unemployment benefits... well, they aren't all that confident that's gunna keep flowing anyway, and you're by no means alone. There's a LOT of people at home, right now, eating their beans, waiting for their food stamps to replenish, unsure of how they're going to pay rent. It's not like you, uniquely, failed. The whole system is kaput. If there will be a competent government response (and it's looking very doubtful), that response will first address the largest identifiable groups of 'people in need.' It's not a bad bet to be one of the recently unemployed-by-choice. By the time it's an issue, you can make a strong evidence-based case (that nobody will listen to, of course) that by staying home you created more 'value' for your employer, the state, yourself, and the world broadly by making the choices you made. Also, by not agreeing to work, you make it that tiny little bit harder for your employer to open, to become a vector, to further spread that plague. It's honorable. And it leaves you no worse off than the other 40 /million/ humans in the same circumstance between those two shores.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

comedyblissoption posted:

americans arent good at Number

a&w's promotion campaign for a third pound burger failed because americans thought it was smaller than a quarter pound

lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

micromorts

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/well/live/putting-the-risk-of-covid-19-in-perspective.html

very dystopian concept, very cyberpunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

THE CURE WAS WORSE THAN THE DISEASE*
https://twitter.com/MichaelBerrySho/status/1263994756436307969?s=20
https://twitter.com/Richard27363694/status/1263893828265742336?s=20
https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1263969556868939776?s=20
https://twitter.com/ImranIsmailPTI/status/1262855654844309512?s=20

*lol pretending that we even tried for a cure