Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I was at a big company that twice had someone accept a job on our team and then not actually start or start and stay 1 week because they got a better offer. I dont remember either of their names and the conversations about it were like : "Yea what a jerk but I get it". Unless you're a physician moving locally or in a super duper niche industry where reputation matters and the culture would really hate that, no one will blacklist you if you start and quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
lovely companies might, but that's a feature not a bug

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I think the decision and offer, if any, will be in tomorrow. The recruiter for the other job just sent my resume over this afternoon, so who knows when I'll hear back about that, if at all.

In the short term, I may just take paying work if they offer it. It's not like it's paying retail wages, no offense to those people. I could just do a lot better if I had my life together and actually pieced together a halfway decent skillset and work history.

I have good intentions for things I want to do, and then.... I don't follow through, for various personal issues. But doctors won't prescribe me addy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
In situations where, like, you work in the healthcare field you probably shouldn't screw around with offers from Medtronic. And some industries are very tight knit so you need to be careful. Otherwise your usually in the right making the best decision for you in the shortish term. I've had a couple people quit early/retract offers and in each case they made enough apologetic sounds that I didn't really care. It's a pain in the rear end but whatever, that's work. It's not 1955, you're not burning bridges with the only steel plant in town.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'd probably just take this and if the other one goes through say "I'm really sorry, I just got an offer I hadn't been expecting to get and it's an incredible opportunity" blah blah

Just try not to do it on Friday when you were due to start on the next Monday, that was a real rude move someone made a few months ago at my job

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Nah, it's way better to quit before you start than quit a few days after you start, if you care about being rude. But don't care that much about being rude.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Can confirm that it's not at all a faux-pa to back out of an offer--it's just a job, and people will understand if they're even remotely being honest that at-will employment cuts both ways, and you have to go with the opportunity that provides you with the best compensation and/or job function.

Note: does not apply to contractual work (unless you're DJT, where it's assumed you'll be reneging on any obligations).

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Ah well, looks like they made the decision for me. On to the next one and selling off a little more of my Fidelity account at ~75% of what it was worth to begin the year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looking to leave my job and move into IT. I worked at a company that made computer parts for a decade and have very many IT-related skills but never held an official IT title.

Can someone look at my resume and see if I have conveyed my skills and qualifications enough? Thanks.

https://fckgw.net/imagedump/Anonymized_Resume2019_IT.pdf

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Looking to leave my job and move into IT. I worked at a company that made computer parts for a decade and have very many IT-related skills but never held an official IT title.

Can someone look at my resume and see if I have conveyed my skills and qualifications enough? Thanks.

https://fckgw.net/imagedump/Anonymized_Resume2019_IT.pdf

What jobs are you applying for? Looking at your resume I am unclear what position you are thinking of moving to, and if you're answer is "Anything in IT" you are going to generalize yourself out of a job.

The things I see on here that are pluses are the AWS cert (make sure you get that), some words you have about automation (do you have a git or anything on your website to demo those automation skills?) and your work history/bachelors.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

What jobs are you applying for? Looking at your resume I am unclear what position you are thinking of moving to, and if you're answer is "Anything in IT" you are going to generalize yourself out of a job.

The things I see on here that are pluses are the AWS cert (make sure you get that), some words you have about automation (do you have a git or anything on your website to demo those automation skills?) and your work history/bachelors.

The jobs I'm looking at now are basically "General IT/Helpdesk". Help manage the office tech, know about networking and cloud, that kind of thing. I do have copies of this resume that are tailored to networking, SOC, etc...

Here's job description for one of them which seems very wide so I'm not sure how best to approach it:

quote:

Experience of working in an IT or Desktop Support/System Administration role.
Knowledge of AWS technologies, and distributed systems concepts
Have broad knowledge of and the ability to perform advanced troubleshooting on Mac OS, Windows 10, Linux, and managing Mac and PC’s in an enterprise environment. Exposure to Active Directory and JAMF
Ability to perform advanced system administration activities and are a subject expert in at least one area of technology.
Have a strong understanding of networking concepts such as DNS, DHCP, Email, HTTP, SSL, OSI Model, and TCP/IP protocols and applications.
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision; you are a self-motivated, self-starter who can initiate ideas and take ownership of work.
Exposure or some experience to scripting and or programming. Showing us something you've built counts as a bonus!
An understanding and awareness of Security standards.
Demonstrated ability in leading or playing key roles in large cross-functional projects and delivering those projects on time and within guidelines.
Bachelor's degree in Computer science or IT related field.
Advanced Linux systems administration skills/certification
Have hands-on experience with MDF/IDF Data Cabling / Computer Facilities maintenance.
Industry training such as Microsoft MCSE, MCITP
Project Management Certification (CAPM, PMP)
Experience with JAMF, Munki, Corporate Client Engineering

I don't have a githib for the automation stuff because it's all work proprietary stuff and I'm not sure if I even have access to it any more

Also: Are Cover Letters important? Or just better to have one than not?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Oh ok. A lot of times people don't want helpdesk type jobs so I guess that's what I get for assuming. Then yeah, that's a reasonably good resume for a job like that (which, what the hell does it want a bachelors in CS for?? anyway). I feel like a little bit of customer satisfaction/client service would help in your resume.

Here's a great line in that description:

quote:

Exposure or some experience to scripting and or programming. Showing us something you've built counts as a bonus!

I'd suggest building a few Python doohickeys or whatever you're comfortable with and getting them up somewhere. My best suggestions is find some "First Deep learning Experiments" tutorials because those always knock the socks off people, and aren't that terribly hard if you're just looking to build something to screw around with. Bonus points: Get a free/cheap Azure/AWS account and host it there.

My opinion on cover letters is they don't make too much of a difference unless they are explicitly asked for but:

1. If you bother including it, take 20 minutes to write something personalized to the job. I can tell when someone is sending me a cover letter than is sent to every job in 100 miles.

2. People say to get as many resumes out as possible because it's a numbers game, and that's true to an extent, but if you are full-time job hunting a couple times a week you'll probably find a job that looks like a good fit that you have a realistic chance of getting. Take the time for those to write a personalized cover letter, tweak your resume, etc. I'm not saying do that for every job, but those top-tier candidates should get the time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions, I have some python scripts back form my python classes and started to do a "Automated python scripting for IT" course on Coursera, maybe I can dig up the scripts I built for that and just get a few examples going.

I also had a lot of customer facing support in my retail job so maybe I can pad that out a bit or emphasis it in my cover letter.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

So, gonna ask for advice here.

I'm just south of 40, veteran and have been in security and law enforcement my entire adult life (Currently a federal employee, Smithsonian security) and I'm tired. I'm tired of wearing a uniform and carrying a gun. I just want to be able to sit down, wear clothes I picked out and semi comfortable shoes.

So, I'm looking for office based work. I'm not looking for anything high end or fancy. My husband and I are actually getting ready to move to Florida, from the DC area, partially due to the cost of living difference.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Short version-Lifetime in uniform wanting to move to an office assistant or receptionist position. I've got the requisite skill sets, but they've been on the job training, never formal education/training.

(I've supervised the movement of nuclear weapons, I can handle managing your dayplanner.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You got a resume?

Your best point of transition is probably going to be within law enforcement etc but on the administrative side.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You got a resume?

Your best point of transition is probably going to be within law enforcement etc but on the administrative side.

Yeah, I've got a resume and I've done my level best to emphasize my administrative experience, but I don't think it's doing much good, to be honest. (Another reason for our relocating, so I'm no longer competing with a city where the standard greeting is "What's your Masters in?")

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DantetheK9 posted:

So, gonna ask for advice here.

I'm just south of 40, veteran and have been in security and law enforcement my entire adult life (Currently a federal employee, Smithsonian security) and I'm tired. I'm tired of wearing a uniform and carrying a gun. I just want to be able to sit down, wear clothes I picked out and semi comfortable shoes.

So, I'm looking for office based work. I'm not looking for anything high end or fancy. My husband and I are actually getting ready to move to Florida, from the DC area, partially due to the cost of living difference.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Short version-Lifetime in uniform wanting to move to an office assistant or receptionist position. I've got the requisite skill sets, but they've been on the job training, never formal education/training.

(I've supervised the movement of nuclear weapons, I can handle managing your dayplanner.)
Definitely work on the resume, but have you thought about local government? They'll give you preference points for the veteran thing, and there are plenty of administrative jobs there. If your computer skills are decent (like, Microsoft Office stuff, nothing super heavy), Court Clerk could be a good way to go.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

DantetheK9 posted:

My husband and I are actually getting ready to move to Florida, from the DC area, partially due to the cost of living difference.

Be aware that COL in the nicer areas of Florida is ever-rising just like everywhere else, and be prepared to potentially make a lot less down here as well. Everyone I know who has moved here post-30s has been shocked to discover what they're able to earn in the Tampa Bay area compared to home. Afaik, the other hubs aren't much better.

Florida has a reputation for being a good cost vs earning balance, and I do have a number of friends with 5-10 corporate years under their belt living that life. But I also know a lot of people struggling paycheck-to-paycheck at an age where they definitely should not be. I don't know many people other than myself who are (barely, in my case) managing to hover in the middle.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Unsinkabear posted:

Be aware that COL in the nicer areas of Florida is ever-rising just like everywhere else, and be prepared to potentially make a lot less down here as well. Everyone I know who has moved here post-30s has been shocked to discover what they're able to earn in the Tampa Bay area compared to home. Afaik, the other hubs aren't much better.

Florida has a reputation for being a good cost vs earning balance, and I do have a number of friends with 5-10 corporate years under their belt living that life. But I also know a lot of people struggling paycheck-to-paycheck at an age where they definitely should not be. I don't know many people other than myself who are (barely, in my case) managing to hover in the middle.

We've done the math (repeatedly) and we should be able to maintain our current standard of living pretty handily, even with me making a bit less than I do now.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Thanatosian posted:

Definitely work on the resume, but have you thought about local government? They'll give you preference points for the veteran thing, and there are plenty of administrative jobs there. If your computer skills are decent (like, Microsoft Office stuff, nothing super heavy), Court Clerk could be a good way to go.

That's not a bad idea at all, we're looking at the Orlando metro area primarily, so I'll focus in. (I'm a fairly deft hand with MS Office, I just haven't officially taken courses for it.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
who the gently caress has taken courses for office?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DantetheK9 posted:

That's not a bad idea at all, we're looking at the Orlando metro area primarily, so I'll focus in. (I'm a fairly deft hand with MS Office, I just haven't officially taken courses for it.)

Brush up on VLookups and pivot tables, that should be adequate to wow most interviewers.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who the gently caress has taken courses for office?

The question's been asked. More than once. Pretty sure it's a filtering question.

Thanatosian posted:

Brush up on VLookups and pivot tables, that should be adequate to wow most interviewers.

Y'know, I've seen that in a few places. Thanks for the tip!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've thrown a lot of excel/office class brochures in the recycle bin at the po box, if that doesn't count I won't work for you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I wonder if "taken a course in Excel" is like an age discrimination question, considering I had quarter courses in high school on Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and uhhh honestly I do not remember the last one, but I will always lean on that if ever asked if I had taken courses on it personally, and surely I am not unique in this experience?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dr. Quarex posted:

I wonder if "taken a course in Excel" is like an age discrimination question, considering I had quarter courses in high school on Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and uhhh honestly I do not remember the last one, but I will always lean on that if ever asked if I had taken courses on it personally, and surely I am not unique in this experience?

If you’re a PhD getting asked this question something is wrong. This is a question people ask office/admin/legal assistant types and maybe finance/accounting types

Def dumb to be specific that the learning is in a classroom setting and not instead make a skills based test.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hell, it might be an age thing. They didn't offer courses on any of that when I was in high school. We had typing and a VERY basic computer skills course and that was it. (Graduated from a rural Alabama high school in 2000)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've taken courses on Excel as part of PLU's (professional learning units) to keep my teaching cert active. It was a decent experience. I didn't go for the PowerPoint class because LOL who needs a class to do PowerPoint and also people who are experts in PowerPoint are insufferable.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CarForumPoster posted:

If you’re a PhD getting asked this question something is wrong. This is a question people ask office/admin/legal assistant types and maybe finance/accounting types
Oh I have only been asked it by a temp agency that cannot find me anyone willing to hire a Ph.D. and was grasping at straws as to how to market me, naturally.

DantetheK9 posted:

Hell, it might be an age thing. They didn't offer courses on any of that when I was in high school. We had typing and a VERY basic computer skills course and that was it. (Graduated from a rural Alabama high school in 2000)
Yeah that makes sense. I have no idea how common such courses are in high school; even though I never would have guessed it at the time, my school was pretty good. Now, if only I had actually stayed a computer science major in college and taken advantage of it

Plus as part of those office suite classes they implemented a typing speed competition the year I was graduating; I am the pathetic middle-aged guy still bragging about his unbroken high school sports record, if you catch my drift :waycool:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've taken courses on Excel as part of PLU's (professional learning units) to keep my teaching cert active. It was a decent experience. I didn't go for the PowerPoint class because LOL who needs a class to do PowerPoint and also people who are experts in PowerPoint are insufferable.

Each page transition animation different from the last!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Using anything but star wipe for slide transitions is unacceptable.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
What's a good way to address a missing qualification in a cover letter? Is it bad to specifically draw attention to it with some variation of "I don't have ~this qualification~, but I have done these things and I believe those skills are transferable"?

Also, I applied at this company a few months ago for an unrelated position, and made it through a phone screen with HR and an on-site interview. Would it be reasonable to send an email to the HR rep I spoke with last time saying that I saw this new opening and I'm still interested in working for this company?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Baronash posted:

1) What's a good way to address a missing qualification in a cover letter?

2) Is it bad to specifically draw attention to it with some variation of "I don't have ~this qualification~, but I have done these things and I believe those skills are transferable"?

3) Also, I applied at this company a few months ago for an unrelated position, and made it through a phone screen with HR and an on-site interview. Would it be reasonable to send an email to the HR rep I spoke with last time saying that I saw this new opening and I'm still interested in working for this company?

Companies often put way more requirements in the listing than they actually get with the people they hire. That said...

1) Depends on the circumstance. Whats the requirement and what are we substituting for that "requirement"?

2) If what youre offering for that isn't much of a jump, I'd highlight what you have and NOT highlight what you dont. If its a big jump, how do you derisk you as a candidate lacking that? Then say youre doing that.

3) Yes. Apply first, then send the email right after with a verification number and a req ID or link if you have them. Make it easy to find your application and which job you want.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Moneyball posted:

Fond memories of just slamming everything with the typewriter effect in elementary school

e: Also of you lack a requirement as written and are going to talk about it than probably start with what you have and then close with what it is making up for?

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 24, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Moneyball posted:

Pro-tier: Using star wipe and commenting on it every time like you used it ironically, when you know deep down in your heart that you're the monster.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

so I forgot to update or deactivate the lovely linkedin I don't think about and got an email that of my interviewers for tomorrow looked me up on it

I'm currently planning to just not bring it up but what if he does

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shugojin posted:

so I forgot to update or deactivate the lovely linkedin I don't think about and got an email that of my interviewers for tomorrow looked me up on it

I'm currently planning to just not bring it up but what if he does

How bad is it?

"Oh man, I forgot that was still there" is probably the safest bet, though it makes you seem kind of a doofus. Usually if a Linkedin is kinda crappy I just gloss over it though and don't bring it up.

Pro Move: Look at their linkedin and see if you can mine some things worth bringing up.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lockback posted:

How bad is it?

"Oh man, I forgot that was still there" is probably the safest bet, though it makes you seem kind of a doofus. Usually if a Linkedin is kinda crappy I just gloss over it though and don't bring it up.

Pro Move: Look at their linkedin and see if you can mine some things worth bringing up.

Like it still has my current position its just doesn't really reflect where my role has gone since I updated it last

also the photo is old

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shugojin posted:

Like it still has my current position its just doesn't really reflect where my role has gone since I updated it last

also the photo is old

Eh this happens a LOT and its a very minor flag that I might maybe ask about but wouldn't really put a ton of stock toward.

Sound, evidenced based advice:
That said, social media can be a huge opportunity. It is a mistake wasting it. I got my first post graduation engineering gig at a prestigious tech company by a recruiter finding my LinkedIn and reaching out. Didn't apply or anything until after a verbal offer had been made. I spent a LOT of time adding recruiters in many fields and areas and making my LinkedIn seem very professional with projects, photos and reviews.

More theoretical advice but might set you apart and I believe it did so for me:
I don't try to hide my Facebook. I think the people who do are making a mistake. Remember that in hiring you they're hiring you for more than technical ability. They want you to be part of a team and your Facebook can be used to derisk you as a candidate in this regard by showing you leave your house and are funny or interesting.

So I decided on an image I could craft with the pictures I had that reflected someone they wanted to work with. My image was "charismatic car guy that girls like". Now you should know, I am short and a little overweight and a nerd including about cars. To execute on this I made sure none of my posts were public and then allowed images that supported the narrative public. It was a bunch of picture of me looking like a nerd swing dancing with beautiful girls, then me covered in transmission fluid and at the local drag strip. I believe that multiple interviewers looked at these and felt more comfortable with me as a result. When asked about what I liked to do I talked about the thing they already KNEW I liked to do. I also had all the years and months of jobs on Facebook line up with my LinkedIn.

EDIT: I'd be remiss if I didn't say it's also a potent liability if you do it wrong. Absolutely no political posts. Absolutely no images of you being drunk or doing stupid or illegal stuff. No hints of drug use at all (dreads, bob marley posters, innocuous stuff can be interpreted that way). Consider whats in the backgrounds. Delete comments that dont support your narrative. Etc. etc. You want them to project their own biases on you that you run through the filter of this clean social media image. You then confirm those in an interview. If you can't do that, hide your social media.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well it went OKAY and I was careful to not say a number first.
but we will see