Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Did they say what the terrain changes are?

The trailer has female Guardsman...and none announced?

I really liked how it did focus on the Sister of Battle, the Marines seem so boring now.

Also...the Guard HELD THE LINE. I'll take that as a victory, even if the Marines come in to save the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Safety Factor posted:

So what the heck do people expect assault intercessors to do that reivers don't already? Or are they going to be yet another unit that obsoletes those poor guys?

Cost less and use the Veteran Intercessor strat, but lose the deep strike options. Maybe get a weapon configuration strat of their own the way the Stalker, Auto, and Bolt Rifle Intercessors do.

And yes, obsolete Reivers even more.

xtothez posted:

No it's fine. The job of the new unit is to run down the centre of the battlefield and get shot. This is in sharp contrast to Reivers, who have to sneak along the edge of the battlefield then get shot.

Actually, as the front line of an Iron Hands Iron Father/Chief Apothecary/Ancient Castle I could see them as potentially useful...assuming they don't cost too much.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Comstar posted:

Did they say what the terrain changes are?

The trailer has female Guardsman...and none announced?

I really liked how it did focus on the Sister of Battle, the Marines seem so boring now.

Also...the Guard HELD THE LINE. I'll take that as a victory, even if the Marines come in to save the day.

The (p.-to-v.deece) Space Marine game also had an literal :females: Cadian officer and that was back in 2011 (so almost 5 years ago) and there's been no model, sadly.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Maybe the new edition will do something to make Reivers less awful.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

Oh yeah. Good point. I haven't looked at sniper scouts closely in really long time (a friend of mine used a lot in he Dark Angels army back in the late 90s/early 2000s, he was a cheating bastard and even unto this day I assume all DA players are likewise of a low moral character).

Oddly enough my experience has always been Blood Angels players as The Worst; from the guy who knowingly brought a tournament-grade netlist to my very first 5E game, to the kid in 2nd who would literally steal things from me during a game.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xtothez posted:

Oddly enough my experience has always been Blood Angels players as The Worst; from the guy who knowingly brought a tournament-grade netlist to my very first 5E game, to the kid in 2nd who would literally steal things from me during a game.

Another guy I played with was a total bro and my best friend, and he played Space Wolves so I still don't completely dislike them. Although this was back when they were just "Space Vikings with a thing for pelts" before they got so wolfy?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Everything else about the Necron release is stellar but this model is just a bunch of weird choices slammed together and is too busy on one side.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

jng2058 posted:

One would expect a major change like that to have shown up in the Nine Great Things video. If you're making that kind of sweeping change, you want to sell it as a good idea as soon as you can, so you lead with that. The fact that they didn't, and that the changes listed in the video are tweaks more than overhauls suggests that 9th is exactly what most of us predicted: 8th with some extra polish and all the rules in one place.

I wouldn't totally rule it out yet - a big change like alternating activations will be divisive and you want everybody on board initially.

Otherwise you fuel the CHANGE IS BAD crowd we saw drag 4e D&D to hell despite its mechanical improvements.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

moths posted:

I wouldn't totally rule it out yet - a big change like alternating activations will be divisive and you want everybody on board initially.

Otherwise you fuel the CHANGE IS BAD crowd we saw drag 4e D&D to hell despite its mechanical improvements.

Eighth is the most popular edition of the game since, what, 4th? 3rd? Ever? There has to be a strong feeling of "don't kill the golden goose" going around GW's offices right now. While I do think that alternating activations, if implemented well, would be an improvement to the game, I'd be really shocked if they had the guts to implement it and risking damaging what's currently an extremely profitable franchise for them.

And then not to even hint that such a change is coming, but instead just show things like "blast weapons are different" and "tanks aren't hosed in close combat anymore"?

Nah, don't buy it. :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

PierreTheMime posted:

Everything else about the Necron release is stellar but this model is just a bunch of weird choices slammed together and is too busy on one side.

I am willing to bet this is another case of GW picking the absolutely worst angle to photograph and the dual arms are more broken up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PierreTheMime posted:

Admech players have a model with like 8 different weapons attached. This is nothing! :v:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Putting too much weight on one side is just bad design. Looking forward to Necron-tipping being the new meta this edition.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So that new trailer doesn't just show a guardswoman, it also shows a regular guardsperson in a Cadian-style helmet with a full face masks that looks kinda Scion-y (second one to die from a gauss shot in the face, I think). A hypothetical guard kit with proportions that are a bit less chunky and a bunch of helmets that are fully masked, with just a few unmasked helmets split between men and women's faces would go a long way toward making it easier to do a force that look believably evenly mixed between men and women.

EDIT: Actually I'm wrong; I think it was just the woman without the visor.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 23, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PierreTheMime posted:

Guarantee that's a Destroyer

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

xtothez posted:

Putting too much weight on one side is just bad design. Looking forward to Necron-tipping being the new meta this edition.

Is it too much to hope for that that's a modular kit like some of the bigger Tyranid units where you can fit it with different arms, and that's just the loadout they went with for that picture?

(Yes.)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh, I found a really cool plastic Lictor guide the other day: http://www.the-vanus-temple.com/plastic-lictor-conversion-tutorial/

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Guarantee that's a Destroyer

Could be a different type of Necron with the Destroyer curse but there’s a shot of a classic Destroyer remodel in the grainy pic.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Stephenls posted:

So that new trailer doesn't just show a guardswoman, it also shows a regular guardsperson in a Cadian-style helmet with a full face masks that looks kinda Scion-y (second one to die from a gauss shot in the face, I think). A hypothetical guard kit with proportions that are a bit less chunky and a bunch of helmets that are fully masked, with just a few unmasked helmets split between men and women's faces would go a long way toward making it easier to do a force that look believably evenly mixed between men and women.

EDIT: Actually I'm wrong; I think it was just the woman without the visor.

I think people are reading into the Guardsmen too strongly here, it kind of annoyed me that they were clearly included just to be blasted off the screen to demonstrate how scary the Necrons are and then totally forgotten about. Not even Guardsmen running up supporting the battle sisters and marines at the end. I don't think there's any clever hints here, I think masks are easier to animate than faces and there's a pre-existing design, and they needed some guardsmen to get shot and then be forgotten.

It would be interesting if the starter set actually included necrons, space marines, and battle sisters in a single box.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
Honestly I'm just happy that there's going to be an app and digital rules with the codex. If that means the FAQs get added into the digital version I'm going to be very happy

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
New marines:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Getting some strong AoS vibes of the relic bearer in the upper left corner.
Also that's the best shot so far of the new bikes as well.

And Primaris Sternguard? :raise:

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I'm surprised the bikes don't hover, but they look real cool.

Also I really like the face plate in the painting.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I seem to recall there being a goonhammer article that identified all the rule books you needed to play a faction, but I can't find it now. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I seem to recall there being a goonhammer article that identified all the rule books you needed to play a faction, but I can't find it now. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

https://www.goonhammer.com/rules-and-where-to-find-them/

This one?

The problem I have with that Primaris Devastators being teased is that this just going to add fuel to the fire to those who screech that normal marines are dead.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

xtothez posted:

New marines:

So, let's see... back row: veteran ancient, three gravis guys with heavy weapons (I'm guessing this is that Gravis unit that got namedropped in the recent SM Codex; they pulled the hoods back, great!), and a chaplain who's mugged Severian from Book of the New Sun and stolen Terminus Est.

Mid range: Unit of five veterans with storm shields and power swords, another new chaplain, ten assault intercessors.

And three bikes. And the bikes have a reasonable number of guns on them and chainswords to slash at what they ride past, which is exactly what I wanted even as I was fearing they'd have triple the guns and no chainsword options!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

This one?

The problem I have with that Primaris Devastators being teased is that this just going to add fuel to the fire to those who screech that normal marines are dead.

Until Primaris get their own drop pod, small marines have a place in my army.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cooked Auto posted:

This one?

This is it. I was searching by Ruleshammer tags, not getting started

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Until Primaris get their own drop pod, small marines have a place in my army.

*Monkey's paw finger curls inwards*

Although we are nearing the point where you can just play a straight Primaris army and have all the tools that you'd otherwise need small ones for.

Only way I could see them alleviate these worries would be to released updated marine kits but by this point not that many left to really update I believe. And then people would just gripe anyway and wonder why they didn't do this in the first place or bother because Primaris is a thing. :v:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I want to say: I wonder if we're looking at the contents of the new starter box there, but... two chaplains? Hmm.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

*Monkey's paw finger curls inwards*

Although we are nearing the point where you can just play a straight Primaris army and have all the tools that you'd otherwise need small ones for.

Only way I could see them alleviate these worries would be to released updated marine kits but by this point not that many left to really update I believe. And then people would just gripe anyway and wonder why they didn't do this in the first place or bother because Primaris is a thing. :v:

I honestly think its just a case of them realising if they change the rules and release it all at once people which bitch, so instead they are just going to slowly introduce the new primaris design and eventually all marines will be primaris marines even if they are old small models

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Aaaaand the Necrons:

Stephenls posted:

I want to say: I wonder if we're looking at the contents of the new starter box there, but... two chaplains? Hmm.

Apparently one is called a Justicar, and is an Emperor's Champion style unit who duels enemy characters.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

xtothez posted:

Aaaaand the Necrons:

Apparently one is called a Justicar, and is an Emperor's Champion style unit who duels enemy characters.

Ah. Neat. Where's the info from?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

So, let's see... back row: veteran ancient, three gravis guys with heavy weapons (I'm guessing this is that Gravis unit that got namedropped in the recent SM Codex; they pulled the hoods back, great!), and a chaplain who's mugged Severian from Book of the New Sun and stolen Terminus Est.

Mid range: Unit of five veterans with storm shields and power swords, another new chaplain, ten assault intercessors.

And three bikes. And the bikes have a reasonable number of guns on them and chainswords to slash at what they ride past, which is exactly what I wanted even as I was fearing they'd have triple the guns and no chainsword options!

The 5 models you've called out as vets are a unit of 3, a lieutenant, and another character (captain or librarian). You can tell from the helmet colors- white is a veteran, red with a white stripe is a veteran sergeant, blue with red and white stripes is a lieutenant, and the last guy doesn't have anything to distinguish him between a captain or librarina.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

The 5 models you've called out as vets are a unit of 3, a lieutenant, and another character (captain or librarian). You can tell from the helmet colors- white is a veteran, red with a white stripe is a veteran sergeant, blue with red and white stripes is a lieutenant, and the last guy doesn't have anything to distinguish him between a captain or librarina.

Yeah, that seems right.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Looks like basically 8.5, with a new boxset and proper support for electronic rules. So, good. In fact, there's so little to complain about here, that the people who live only to complain are going straight to that chud standby:

quote:

8th edition was cartoon card game trash and 9th looks even worse. GW is getting woke and going broke

As disappointing as seeing that pop up in the Facebook feed for the 40k local group, it was heartening that not only did no one agree with him, he was very quickly but politely put in his place.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
These popped up. Looks like they match the tiny images.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Going so broke that it's like the #1 stock for institutional investors on Bad Cav Island.

:hmmyes:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

4e D&D .

Is bad.

Hmm? Oh sorry I zoned out a bit. What were we talking about?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Schadenboner posted:

Going so broke that it's like the #1 stock for institutional investors on Bad Cav Island.

:hmmyes:

Yeah a video I watched recently pointing out if you had bought GW stock back in 2009 and sold it in 2019 it was worth ten times the original investment. Absolutely crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Kitchner posted:

I think people are reading into the Guardsmen too strongly here, it kind of annoyed me that they were clearly included just to be blasted off the screen to demonstrate how scary the Necrons are and then totally forgotten about. Not even Guardsmen running up supporting the battle sisters and marines at the end. I don't think there's any clever hints here, I think masks are easier to animate than faces and there's a pre-existing design, and they needed some guardsmen to get shot and then be forgotten.

It would be interesting if the starter set actually included necrons, space marines, and battle sisters in a single box.

I was really hoping that at the end when the bigass Necron dude shows up amid the swarming Necrons they'd get leveled by a Leman Russ rolling into the square, kind of a loop with Sisters bailing out the IG, Space Marines bailing out Sisters, and then the big guns of the IG returning at the end. I guess it's not to be.

Although that cinematic was still cool and I guess I am collecting Sisters again. :ohdear: