Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
GK Backline also gets my vote. If you need bigger than 2x10 you can grab a 1x15 extension cabinet. If you need more than that, go through the soundboard to stage monitors and the PA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Or tell the guitar players to turn it down a notch...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Backline has scratchy pots, dude says. Gonna play a slow hand and see if I can get him to knock it down to 160 "cause i might need to get it fixed" (read: buy a can of deoxit)
No word from the Ashdown guy yet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ashdown seller just hit me back after I pinged again - fuckin spam folders. We're chatting now. I think i'm gonna go for it!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Anyone have any recommendations for a bass around the $300 mark, used or new? I'm mainly a guitarist/pianist but I've played bass in the past. Probably mostly going to use it to play along to funk songs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Welp my evening is all lined up

so far the initial results are 'world endingly loud, but still usable at low volumes'

i love it!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
It's a shame they made you take their White Claw too, but that's a solid amp acquisition!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, part of the bargain. C'est la vie

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a bass around the $300 mark, used or new? I'm mainly a guitarist/pianist but I've played bass in the past. Probably mostly going to use it to play along to funk songs.

Some sort of squire p-bass or j-bass
Hard to go wrong with one of them and if you decide to upgrade can easily sell it for what you paid for it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Rifter17 posted:

If you are looking for some fun quarantine bass materials to watch, Leland Sklar started a youtube channel with him just playing whatever he wants.

For those who might not be in the know about this fella, he is a big session player who is associated with James Taylor, Joe Jackson, Phil Collins, and many many more as his Wikipedia page will show you.

I started watching a couple videos and he's an...interesting guy. He says that he gets banned from a bunch of online things.

I watched his video on Sussudio - I didn't know he'd played on it. I then watched the music video. He's in it, same beard, same hair, just more colour.

I'll be damned if he wasn't born with that hair and beard.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The story is that he made a bet that if his favourite baseball team didn't win, he would never shave again.

Spoiler alert:

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I do up a big effort-post later with pictures and everything, but repairing/restoring my basses is going really well.

For a quick explanation, there was a big fire in my apartment building (we were a floor below the fire, so lots and lots of water, ash, smoke, and other debris came down through the roof into our unit). My Dingwall was in a case so just suffered water damage, while my Warwick was out on a stand and was thrown across the room by the firefighters and ended up completely covered in dirty water, soot, etc. Cosmetically the Dingwall is untouched but the active preamp was toast since I had a battery in it. It still plays great passively despite a little bit of corrosion in the input jack (I'll be replacing that I think too). The Warwick however needs a full overhaul, which I've been doing. Sanding, epoxy resin, more sanding, tung oil, beeswax, it keeps on going but it is coming together great.

I wanted to post mid-restoration to sing the praises of Dingwall customer service. I emailed the company to purchase a new stock EMG preamp for my Combustion, and after some explaining/back and forth they refused to accept money and insisted on sending me the bass' guts for free. Came right from Sheldon Dingwall himself. Just a really good feeling after what had happened. Amazing products, incredible customer service.

Sorry this is a bit of a scatterbrain post, just wanted to crank it out while I had my coffee this morning.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fierce Brosnan posted:

You don't have the ear for it yet... but you will, with practice!
It's not at the usual A440 pitch - they probably sped the master tape up after recording it.
Find yourself some software that can correct the pitch (about -40cent in this case), slow it down, and adjust the EQ so you're mostly hearing the bass. I like Transcribe!, but there are plenty of alternatives. Work it out a few notes at a time. You can do it! :)

pre:
It's approximately
G                                           
D 3/4 444                                   
A         2        4\   00 00 4 5h6h7 2  2  
E            2 2                        4 40

with some variations; some notes are played twice with a bouncy swung feel

Thanks! I'm going to try it out.

When I'm playing something, I can immediately tell when it sounds off (and a lot of online tabs are a different version or just plain wrong), but I can't tell what a particular note is just from listening. Seems like that's several steps beyond.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Jcam posted:

I do up a big effort-post later with pictures and everything, but repairing/restoring my basses is going really well.

For a quick explanation, there was a big fire in my apartment building (we were a floor below the fire, so lots and lots of water, ash, smoke, and other debris came down through the roof into our unit). My Dingwall was in a case so just suffered water damage, while my Warwick was out on a stand and was thrown across the room by the firefighters and ended up completely covered in dirty water, soot, etc. Cosmetically the Dingwall is untouched but the active preamp was toast since I had a battery in it. It still plays great passively despite a little bit of corrosion in the input jack (I'll be replacing that I think too). The Warwick however needs a full overhaul, which I've been doing. Sanding, epoxy resin, more sanding, tung oil, beeswax, it keeps on going but it is coming together great.

I wanted to post mid-restoration to sing the praises of Dingwall customer service. I emailed the company to purchase a new stock EMG preamp for my Combustion, and after some explaining/back and forth they refused to accept money and insisted on sending me the bass' guts for free. Came right from Sheldon Dingwall himself. Just a really good feeling after what had happened. Amazing products, incredible customer service.

Sorry this is a bit of a scatterbrain post, just wanted to crank it out while I had my coffee this morning.

Daaang dude, what a whirlwind. Are you getting any funds for the Warwick restoration from insurance etc?

I've heard nothing but good things about Sheldon Dingwall, this is another clear example of how he puts customers first. Glad that it's working out in your favor!

Research Unix
Sep 30, 2012
I have a 2019 Squier Mustang Bass that has had one of its tuning pegs break off in a horrible accident. Does anyone have a recommendation of compatible replacement tuning pegs for that bass?

I am currently thinking about getting Hipshot HB7's, but since I really don't have any experience with Hipshot tuning machines I'd really appreciate any input or advice.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

The Science Goy posted:

Daaang dude, what a whirlwind. Are you getting any funds for the Warwick restoration from insurance etc?

I've heard nothing but good things about Sheldon Dingwall, this is another clear example of how he puts customers first. Glad that it's working out in your favor!

Insurance covered some costs, but I had to bite the bullet and direct some of the money to more important things. After I did some research, I figured restoring the basses would be manageable. I've been enjoying the process so far, and it has been giving me something positive to think about.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok, question 1:

Will getting humbucking pickups in my jazz 5 copy actually work right? meaning i can run one, both, or a mix and not get an infestation of 60hz?

and question 2:

Who the gently caress sells decent ones?

I totally don't mind the tone with both pickups on full, but it's buzzville as soon as i back either one off and i'd really like some more versatility. Am I just learning the Jazz Bass Ways?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
My experience with humbucker J shape pickups has been Fender vintage noiseless in a 4 string Fender Jazz and CAP Sonic Arch 5 in an Ibanez ATK805E. Your mileage may vary depending on your setup. I really like the Ibanez pickup, myself. If using an active preamp, that may help if you feel a humbucker takes some of the edge off the typical single coil sound.

As far as good ones that can be found easily, Aguilar, Bartolini, and Nordstrand all have hum canceling models. Just remember that there are varying dimensions of 5 string J style pickups, not just the usual neck and bridge differences.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 10, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nice. I'll break out the calipers and start shopping!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

nitsuga posted:

Any recommendations for someone playing mostly rock/punk with a pick and sometimes fingers?

I know they're extremely basic bitch strings, but Fender 7250s make my p bass sound just exactly right for punk rockin in a way I haven't found with any others. I personally go with the ML gauge, but whatever works. They don't retain their fresh delicious sproingy boinginess for all that long but they're also pretty darn cheap for bass strings.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 11, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Anybody with a passive Jazz setup wanna throw an AC DMM on it and tell me about what you get for output? I noticed that I have to dime the input on my amp to even get within 3-6 db of the 0db on the meter (i know it's not THAT accurate but), and on a hunch i plugged my tele in and strummed an E and it absolutely dimed the meter. It hits 0db with the input knob at about 25-30%.

I put my relatively decent DMM on AC mode and hit some notes on the bass - and i'm getting like, 80-120 mV which seems low. I'm wondering if some wiring is funky or they used the wrong value pots or something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Exploratory followup - I desoldered each pickup and tested voltage of each, they really do only put out 80-100 mV. I got the manual for my amp and it specs 150 mV - 2 V for the passive input, so I guess I just need to pick up a booster pedal to have this thing drive it well enough that I can use the tube section. no big deal to be honest

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
And it came in and is a lot smaller than I expected, lol

And completely solved the problem. turned up a bit past halfway on the knobs it will definitely drive the tube channel into a nice grindy overdrive, or I can go more modest with it for just a little foot tappy boost with some EQ (sounds good if i cut the bass on the pedal just a bit)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What a great short vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBXUP5GqYJs&t=27s

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Just picked up a used Ibanez SR300E for about the retail price of the gsr200. I probably would have been fine with the gsr200 but I like the look of the SR300R. Plus the spontaneous purchase has already been made. All I can do now is second guess myself until it's here (I tend to second guess myself on any purchase over $50). I played a little in highschool and college but haven't picked one up in years. Hopefully I don't quit when I don't see immediate results. Apparently this thing needs a 9v battery? lol I should have researched more,

Jcam posted:

Wow, sorry to hear what happened. That's really cool of them though,

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quid posted:

Just picked up a used Ibanez SR300E for about the retail price of the gsr200. I probably would have been fine with the gsr200 but I like the look of the SR300R. Plus the spontaneous purchase has already been made. All I can do now is second guess myself until it's here (I tend to second guess myself on any purchase over $50). I played a little in highschool and college but haven't picked one up in years. Hopefully I don't quit when I don't see immediate results. Apparently this thing needs a 9v battery? lol I should have researched more,

It'll be night and day difference, the 300 is generally considered where the SR line really starts and they're leaps and bounds over the GIOs. I was kinda tempted to pick up a new 250 the other day because the pearl white one is super pretty and I'm like a loving magpie, but managed to score a second hand BB604 on Reverb for just under that price. It's definitely worn in, but it should be a super fun instrument and hopefully won't feel like a big step down from my Warwick Corvette Proline I sold before I emigrated.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

I know they're extremely basic bitch strings, but Fender 7250s make my p bass sound just exactly right for punk rockin in a way I haven't found with any others. I personally go with the ML gauge, but whatever works. They don't retain their fresh delicious sproingy boinginess for all that long but they're also pretty darn cheap for bass strings.

The Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups with that combo of strings will make that sound shine for both of you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I swear 'did I leave my cable plugged in my bass?' is the 'did I leave the oven on?' for bassists. Ugh, I'm pretty sure I did too, and I can't resolve until I go home after work. The perils of not having a guitar stand at the moment and just throwing it on a bed.

But the reason I was thinking of the battery in the first place - bass came, and I was having serious connection/cutout problems, thought it had been damaged in transit. Then when I moved I heard a clunk, and discovered the 9v battery was floating in the compartment. The style on this Yamaha BB is a fixed terminal in a compartment that's too big for a 9v (feels like the worst option they could go with, but whatever). I'm guessing they should have some foam padding behind the battery to stop this happening? Anyone got a Yamaha (I presume they use the same compartment across a ton of models) to confirm, I can't find a clean picture online. I just jammed some paper in for now to resolve. A relief for sure, though.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I wouldn’t worry too much about leaving the cable plugged in. Most preamps have such little power draw a battery can last years under normal use, so leaving a cable plugged in overnight will only take a few days out of its life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Turns out my brain was actually working that night and I unplugged it afterall, but good to know it takes more than 24 hours for real issues. Which makes sense, as I'd play tons plugged in and never changed my battery very often in the past. Flashback of leaving my car lights on and killing my battery a bunch of months ago I guess!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Huh, that's interesting. If I leave mine plugged in over night, it'll usually drain it. Is that a wiring thing or just a 30 year-old bass thing?

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I'm looking at rechargeable 9v supplies that I can install the port in either the pick guard or some other inconspicuous place for future active bass builds.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Elissimpark posted:

Huh, that's interesting. If I leave mine plugged in over night, it'll usually drain it. Is that a wiring thing or just a 30 year-old bass thing?

I don't know, but your experience is the same as mine has been. It's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of active basses. That, and when I was cutting my teeth back in the day, active electronics were more often than not a gimmick, a bagging point that justified a higher price tag. I was never really impressed with the sound, because it was way too compressed, often too hot, and just kind-of dead sounding. Granted, I never had a really high-end example, and there was some tweaking to your amp and bass you could do to alleviate some of the signal level and compression issues, but still, it wasn't great.

Back then, though, your instrument wouldn't work at all without a battery or two. A lot of active systems now are basically preamps that work with passive pickups and electronics, and the basses even have a passive mode. Maybe those instruments have a very low power draw?

Schwza posted:

I'm looking at rechargeable 9v supplies that I can install the port in either the pick guard or some other inconspicuous place for future active bass builds.

This sounds great! But, you should make sure you include the option to use a regular battery too. Getting to the gig with a dead battery is a nightmare if your only option is to wait an hour with your bass plugged into the wall, especially when it takes 5 seconds to just pop in a new battery.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 23, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tried to charge up the Tesla and some bastard has their double necked 6 string behemoth hogging the charging bay.

But yeah, that sounds like a neat idea, but yeah definitely needs a failsafe. From what I can tell, my current instrument doesn't have an override for the active circuitry (no pull up on any of the control pots, and goes completely dead with no battery inside).

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

tarlibone posted:

This sounds great! But, you should make sure you include the option to use a regular battery too. Getting to the gig with a dead battery is a nightmare if your only option is to wait an hour with your bass plugged into the wall, especially when it takes 5 seconds to just pop in a new battery.

It's why I stay away from active electronics. Unfortunately I have three wiring harnesses sitting in my shop so I'm trying to make lemonade here.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Standard rechargeable 9v batteries don't actually provide comparable voltage to a conventional 9v - it might work okay, but the voltage drops off rather quickly. I don't remember exact figures but a few people dug into it on Discord and found some voltage dropoff charts. It was quite compelling and plain to see the difference.

So amperage is another factor (volts x amps = watts) and I don't recall whether that was looked into, but the voltage thing was quite clear. I use lithium 9v batteries because they last longer and therefore don't need to be replaced as frequently, and they maintain a high voltage for a long time before dropping off quickly when they are depleted.

IMO it's still good practice to unplug the bass whenever it's not being used. The cable plugs and instrument jacks will last a very long time, so a few extra plugging cycles won't substantially degrade the components. Also, when a cable is unplugged and properly stowed, there is zero chance of a tripping hazard and you can deduce why I mention that :v:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've always wondered why phantom power never really caught on for active instruments. I'm sure it's around for niche situations, but god drat, 48 volts, you want headroom, there's your headroom. Plus XLR is so much cooler than 1/4".

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Jonny 290 posted:

I've always wondered why phantom power never really caught on for active instruments. I'm sure it's around for niche situations, but god drat, 48 volts, you want headroom, there's your headroom. Plus XLR is so much cooler than 1/4".

Fun fact: Ace Frehley's guitar-mounted pyro was XLR-powered for a while. No idea if that cable was also passing signal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had a Hohner B2A that had an XLR output, but my particular one had been disconnected. I wonder if there’s a story behind why it was unplugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Elissimpark posted:

I got those figures from this thread which mirrors my experiences with Stingrays: http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/46093-battery-lifetime-result.html

I have a Stingray 4 that's about 30 years old and a more recent 5, and I haven't had to replace the batteries on either in the 5+ years I've owned them. (I also practice way less than two hours per day :()