Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Paper pro events are essentially dead at this point. By the time they can even be done again Hasbro will have figured out just how much money they are saving by doing them on Arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sickening posted:

If you think magic is going to continue to chug along without organized play :laffo:

OP isn’t going away, it’s just going digital. Magic will be bigger than ever, while also being less expensive and time consuming.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
And nothing of value was lost.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Paper magic is fun and responsible for keeping all my local game stores in business, I sure hope it doesn’t go away, and I’m not sure why some people are so happy and convinced that it’s going to. Like, maybe it’s just selective memory, but I feel like every time I see Corbeau post it’s to bitch about paper magic lmao.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

Paper magic is fun and responsible for keeping all my local game stores in business, I sure hope it doesn’t go away, and I’m not sure why some people are so happy and convinced that it’s going to. Like, maybe it’s just selective memory, but I feel like every time I see Corbeau post it’s to bitch about paper magic lmao.

Paper Cards, and by extension paper Magic, won't go away, but paper OP probably will, because it sucks to run and is too expensive, and it sucks to participate in and is too expensive

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bust Rodd posted:

Paper Cards, and by extension paper Magic, won't go away, but paper OP probably will, because it sucks to run and is too expensive, and it sucks to participate in and is too expensive

"Sucks to participate in" is a really dumb take.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

Your mom sucked to participate in. And no, I did not practice social distancing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This isn't GBS chud.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 23, 2020

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Bust Rodd posted:

WotC will stop being involved in paper OP, but it won't go away entirely. I don't see SCG just deciding to stop running their tour, and CFB will inevitably run some type of tournaments once WotC sticks the fork into paper GPs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sickening posted:

The physical tournament structure of MtG is loving grueling and unfun. You ever been to a GP or something around 7:30 PM when everyone is hangry and tired and stinks and start making tiny misplays that cause full blown meltdowns and angleshooters.

There are lots of benefits too, it’s not like it can’t be fun, but even diehard MtG grinders like Ally Warfield or Martin Juza seem pretty over it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Arivia posted:

Your mom sucked to participate in. And no, I did not practice social distancing.

hilarious post my man

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arivia posted:

holy fuckin poo poo this guy :dogbutton: his MOM, dude

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

This isn't GBS chud.

it's a pun, that's all

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fadam posted:

I’m not sure why some people are so happy and convinced that it’s going to.
Lots of people in this thread are actual shut-ins who are loving lockdown as a reason to work from home, order everything and have it delivered, and have a perfect excuse for not bathing or changing clothes for days at a time (if at all). To move this last expectation of social interaction to a fully digital realm is their dream, because they're the guy who silently sits down across from you and doesn't even verbalize "casting shock targeting your soldier token" let alone engage with any attempts to have a friendly conversation.

Personally, if OP stopped being a thing I would unload all my cards for whatever I could get for them pretty much immediately and never look back. I enjoy the game, but I want to enjoy it with actual people I can see and hear and shake hands with; that's what makes magic actually enjoyable to me. If I just want a strategy computer game, there are hundreds of better options.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

shaking hands is what got us into this mess in the first place, you sicko

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely think it would be worse to string players along indefinitely for a chance at something that might never happen, meanwhile MtG is still going on digitally and more and more people qualify for PTQs and GPS online which would lead to like a huge backlog of players who are...waiting for a physical tournament?

We could realistically be experiencing the actual end of Paper Magic OP, and while it absolutely sucks to have your dreams shunted... a magic tournament could literally kill someone right now, its just not worth the risk and honestly not might ever be worth the risk ever again.

Mat Cauthon posted:

What agreement? The agreement that almost certainly says "WotC reserves the right to change the terms of [insert prize here] based on X, Y, and Z factors"?

No one is stanning for WotC. This is an unprecedented situation where they have to make a decision that reduces risk for themselves and the players, while also adhering to whatever corporate dictate applies from the parent company (increase profit and minimize liability, if nothing else). It sucks for that particular guy and for a lot of other grinders but it's not some malicious campaign to crush his dreams.

If WotC decides to honor the invites and defer them until...whenever this is all over and we have a vaccine for COVID-19, then great. I personally don't see myself returning to paper play ever again now that Arena exists, so hopefully there's still a sizeable population to participate in physical events.

They were literally selling people tournament entries on the promise of future premier tabletop OP the day of the announcement. They don't need to let any future qualifications be deferred or apply to the paper event until they are ready to run the paper event, they just have to say that up front.

quote:

and honestly not might ever be worth the risk ever again.

:derp:

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 23, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't have an opinion on high-level play but getting rid of low-level paper play would be a huge blow to the game. Even if Magic survived that it would look a whole lot different coming out the other end. I like FNM and pre-releases, and I don't know that I could maintain long-term interest in the game if it went 100% online :shrug: But I'm just one guy on the internet.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Paper OP going away means mtg becomes Just Another Computer Game that dies in 10 years from overly-greedy corporate squeezing

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That argument doesn’t really work when the digital equivalent the paper game is infinitely less expensive

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Yawgmoth posted:

Personally, if OP stopped being a thing I would unload all my cards for whatever I could get for them pretty much immediately and never look back. I enjoy the game, but I want to enjoy it with actual people I can see and hear and shake hands with; that's what makes magic actually enjoyable to me. If I just want a strategy computer game, there are hundreds of better options.

You keep posting as the end of physical OP is the end of kitchen table magic with friends. Why do you think this? What is supporting this idea? The overwhelming majority of magic products sold today will never see a deck registration sheet, because they are being played unsleeved at a friend's house. Paper OP and Paper Games are not the same institution.

like the end of OP probably impacts, no joke, the 2 guys who run a podcast out of my LGS about competitive play and the two grinders that draft, and then the other 40 of us who play Commander together will continue as normal.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bust Rodd posted:

You keep posting as the end of physical OP is the end of kitchen table magic with friends. Why do you think this? What is supporting this idea? The overwhelming majority of magic products sold today will never see a deck registration sheet, because they are being played unsleeved at a friend's house. Paper OP and Paper Games are not the same institution.

like the end of OP probably impacts, no joke, the 2 guys who run a podcast out of my LGS about competitive play and the two grinders that draft, and then the other 40 of us who play Commander together will continue as normal.

Pretty sure Yawg isn't talking about high level tournaments and whatnot so much as about FNM and prereleases.

I loved being able to drop by the LGS every Friday and sign up for draft, and hang out with people. About once a year, there'll be a GP or whatever in town, and I'll go check out side events, or sign up for the main event to flame out early, if I'm feeling spicy. Sometimes there's a limited PPTQ that I'll participate in. I'd hate to see all of that tossed out the window. Yeah, stores would probably put together some kind of game night regardless, but there's really something to be said for WotC supporting FNM as in institution.

And for drafts specifically (which is pretty much the entirety of the Magic I play), trying to put them together casually is a giant pain in the rear end that only happens rarely, in my experience.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Other than those LGS going out of business, which is not a thing wotc can even do anything about, there is absolutely no reason to believe there is going to be some sort of mass ending of local magic events

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly having seen the sheer amount of paper and cardboard waste that comes out of the game I think there’s a sufficient argument for killing paper Magic based on that alone

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Got em’

https://twitter.com/mtghofbot/status/1264205700596666368?s=19

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what did he leak?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly having seen the sheer amount of paper and cardboard waste that comes out of the game I think there’s a sufficient argument for killing paper Magic based on that alone

if only there were some way to print the cards people actually want without printing thousands of useless cards at the same time :abrathink:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

what did he leak?

It was the OP changes, was posted in this thread last week.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

I don't know about anybody's moms sucking but this post sure does

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tainen posted:

It was the OP changes, was posted in this thread last week.

didn't realize that was a leak

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you just know that was some poor sucker who was tasked with finding the leak and this was literally the only thing they could come up with

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

little munchkin posted:

if only there were some way to print the cards people actually want without printing thousands of useless cards at the same time :abrathink:

reserved list, but only for bad cards

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The actual result of the OP changes being leaked is that WotC isn't going to talk to the MPL members about anything in the future tbh

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bust Rodd posted:

You keep posting as the end of physical OP is the end of kitchen table magic with friends. Why do you think this?
I live in Minnesota.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

I live in Minnesota.

Ah yes, the state that has outlawed friendship.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Rinkles posted:

didn't realize that was a leak

He leaked a part of it(the most important parts generally) a week before the full OP announcement since WotC told members of the MPL/Rival a full 2 weeks before anyone else would've gotten the information otherwise. Some number of MPL/Rival obviously told him(and probably a few other number of people?) but Austin went public with it, and now WotC or Hasbro or whoever want him to snitch.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Per WOTC themselves only 10% of Magic players even make it into a store to participate in organized play. That number probably doesn't mean as much since the launch of Arena but yeah

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Per WOTC themselves only 10% of Magic players even make it into a store to participate in organized play. That number probably doesn't mean as much since the launch of Arena but yeah
I really want to know how they come up with these numbers. It would be very interesting to know how they define a player in this case, how they get the data for these players without them ever going to an event, how they know that these people are still playing/purchasing, and how they avoid duplication. Like if I go buy a fat pack from Target because I got a gift card there, then buy a couple packs off the rack at Walgreens because they're on sale and I found $5 on the ground, then go play at FNM at my LGS, am I getting counted as a player three times? And if so, does only one of these count as "player who makes it to organized play" since it's just the one purchase tied to my name? Or are they just making some extremely broad assumptions about purchases made at X store over Y store and extrapolating from volume?

I don't doubt that there's a statistically significant contingent of people who never go to any sort of sanctioned play for whatever reason(s), but I would love to know how they reach the numbers that they report.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Yawgmoth posted:

I really want to know how they come up with these numbers. It would be very interesting to know how they define a player in this case, how they get the data for these players without them ever going to an event, how they know that these people are still playing/purchasing, and how they avoid duplication. Like if I go buy a fat pack from Target because I got a gift card there, then buy a couple packs off the rack at Walgreens because they're on sale and I found $5 on the ground, then go play at FNM at my LGS, am I getting counted as a player three times? And if so, does only one of these count as "player who makes it to organized play" since it's just the one purchase tied to my name? Or are they just making some extremely broad assumptions about purchases made at X store over Y store and extrapolating from volume?

I don't doubt that there's a statistically significant contingent of people who never go to any sort of sanctioned play for whatever reason(s), but I would love to know how they reach the numbers that they report.

I assume they can tell based on how many lovely precons and core set theme booster packs they sell at Walmart.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Yawgmoth posted:

MaRo and Shivam Bhatt have both answered this publicly a few times but only on Twittter and it wasn't widely spread, but Hasbro hires surveying firms to collect data at places like GenCon or other industry game shows, and keep in mind they said 10% make it in for organized play but lots of stores do keeo track of whose signing up for FNM vs who is just there for pick up games of Commander, so game stores are also selectively surveyed to figure out the breakdown of comp/casual.

Basically MaRo said that Hasbro has better data than anyone could imagine, because their entire business model is predicated on acting on that data, and since Hasbro is making more money off Magic than ever, their data might be doing its job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
At this rate only Commander players will be left collecting cardboard