Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
The most likely scenario is that covid will become endemic and due to mutual selective evolutionary pressure over the course of several years, maybe decades, it will eventually become just another mild cold virus like the majority of other coronaviruses.

Humanity had a window of opportunity back in February or March to prevent this if we had all done full rear end lockdowns mass testing and contact tracing but we didn't so welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

PyPy posted:

wtf happened in Spain?

If you scroll down to the Updates section they typically explain where those spikes come from. In this case Catalan had a 632 death backlog that was reported but not dated, so it was thrown on the pile, so to speak.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

you are deeply out of touch with america if you don't think we'll have slang about the 'vid

We have an antibiotic resistant tb problem that's totally ubiquitous in a lot of populations and never discussed, hepc was ubiquitous in boomers until there was a cure and they had to run wall to wall ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT HEPATITIS to get them to admit it, etc

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ted Cruz will become the antipope.

nah u need someone with attitude

or should i say

zladitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGBHfXPqbgI

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ebola Roulette posted:

The most likely scenario is that covid will become endemic and due to mutual selective evolutionary pressure over the course of several years, maybe decades, it will eventually become just another mild cold virus like the majority of other coronaviruses.

Humanity had a window of opportunity back in February or March to prevent this if we had all done full rear end lockdowns mass testing and contact tracing but we didn't so welp

There's no evolutionary pressure on this to become any milder

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

PyPy posted:

wtf happened in Spain?

"today the Spanish Ministry of Health reported an additional 56 deaths in the last 24 hours, however, the Catalan authorities reported an additional 632 deaths that had previously occurred and were not assigned to dates, meaning that the cumulative total for deaths increased by 688 deaths."

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Ebola Roulette posted:

Maybe we'll get it right next time!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

sullat posted:

IRS... good?

The IRS is very good and would be better if they weren't neutered by poo poo administration after poo poo administration and a Congress that has as it's sole bipartisan belief the conviction that the IRS is too powerful.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

shovelbum posted:

There's no evolutionary pressure on this to become any milder

i am exerting social pressure on it. virus.......im disappointed

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COVID-420 posted:

I'm curious: do you post misinformation because you're uninformed, or do you know its bullshit and post it anyway because you're trying to influence the conversation to go your way? This is simple wikipedia stuff.

Meanwhile go ahead and ignore shovelbum jerking off over the entirely unsubstantiated and increasingly unlikely chance that people get reinfected with Covid

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

what the gently caress

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

shovelbum posted:

We have an antibiotic resistant tb problem that's totally ubiquitous in a lot of populations and never discussed, hepc was ubiquitous in boomers until there was a cure and they had to run wall to wall ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT HEPATITIS to get them to admit it, etc

have you seen a commercial in the last decade? it's all disease prevention or relief commercials for IBS or mesothelioma or wtf-ever the next disease they can give palliative care for while charging too much with side-effects in five point font, the idea that americans are ashamed of health problems is just dumb

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Meanwhile go ahead and ignore shovelbum jerking off over the entirely unsubstantiated and increasingly unlikely chance that people get reinfected with Covid

There is some immunity but no evidence it lasts forever

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

listen this is an improvement over "it has a 20% fatality rate." gotta take baby steps while channeling the :justpost: energy

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

if you believe shovelbum you're less likely to die than the person Pollyanna-ing about it
don't believe shovelbum though

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
One time I got a common cold then I was immune forever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

shovelbum posted:

One time I got a common cold then I was immune forever

weren't the covid deaths supposed to have dropped from the news by now

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

uncurable mlady posted:

it'll probably be fine.

things have a way of working out

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

euphronius posted:

are we getting 100,000k on Memorial Day ??

Based on the way the number of total deaths keeps decreasing I doubt it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

weren't the covid deaths supposed to have dropped from the news by now

Fox stopped covering it for several weeks until they could spin it as a Democrat plot instead of a Democrat hoax

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

There is some immunity but no evidence it lasts forever

You are a prime example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. Your post above on hepatitis/tb - neither has ever been “ubiquitous” in any population, let alone loving boomers lmfao. Do you even read what you type before you hit post?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I left a bad internet review for that Costco meltdown guy's business last week and now he's threatening to sue me. What should I do, goons?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I am going back to work in 2 weeks. They are allowing a max of 3 people at a time for my student population so I will get to teach one student a day face to face while the others students will continue distance learning. I am okay with this as long as the number of cases we have here remains low. When I let parents know the news they were delighted.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

I had a born again buddy in AR (hey it's hard to find decent friends down there) who would bitch ENDLESSLY about how the irs took his dad's 'church'

it was a machine shop
six days a week he made his living milling and welding for local farmers
on sunday morning he'd put a circle of folding chairs out and 'preach' to his family and like three neighbors
this is how he justified not paying any taxes on his business

irs rolled up and sniped that poo poo and i heard no end of TYRANNY TALK

God i don't miss that dump

It's still tax evasion since it's technically Unrelated Business Taxable Income and so the 'church' would have to pay tax on the UBTI even if we assumed the 'church' itself wasn't a bullshit scam.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

oxsnard posted:

I left a bad internet review for that Costco meltdown guy's business last week and now he's threatening to sue me. What should I do, goons?

Send him a picture of your rear end and a form letter from Leonard J. Crabs

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

oxsnard posted:

tell him he needs to put on a mask before emailing you

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

oxsnard posted:

Refer him to your counsel, Leonard J. Crabs, of course.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

oxsnard posted:

goatse

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

oxsnard posted:

shitposting's only judge is history itself, gently caress the haters

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
So far I responded "lmao" so we'll see

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

oxsnard posted:

lmao

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

horry is forbidden

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica
hahaha

https://map.snapchat.com/@33.709628,-78.870556,12.20z

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

gj

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Is there a simple-ish explanation of how they identify bots? And how they know that they are correct? I assume they tested their software using known real and bot accounts, and examined sensitivity and specificity.

Simply put they don't, you can trawl the mass of tweets and other trash for the same set of words present over and over again because that's pretty telltale, but it's not always that easy, it's not a problem though, they don't need to show results, they can compare their results to their own results and deduce they are better.

Just like the other great circlejerk: https://michaelkreil.github.io/openbots/

Basically saying bots is just a way to dismiss speech, of course here it's bad speech and likely even done by bots, sometimes, but don't go thinking any of that research is worth a penny, it's a post facto rationalization for what needs to be thought by some people.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I’m thinking about those beans’

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

oxsnard posted:

tell him you woke up in a free country, obvs

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Tbf to shovelbum going from “we’re all gonna die!” to “there’s nothing you can do, go outside and accept the virus” is a consistent pro-viral psyops message. Pretty sure they’re a sock puppet account for Coronavirus.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Squizzle posted:

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:d2a: