Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

More Necron image leaks. I'm liking that what appears to be a new Shard of the Nightbringer draws heavily from the old one, as I always liked that model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Ashcans posted:

I was really hoping that at the end when the bigass Necron dude shows up amid the swarming Necrons they'd get leveled by a Leman Russ rolling into the square, kind of a loop with Sisters bailing out the IG, Space Marines bailing out Sisters, and then the big guns of the IG returning at the end. I guess it's not to be.

Although that cinematic was still cool and I guess I am collecting Sisters again. :ohdear:

To be honest all the guys discussing it after were like "lol that guardsman got wrecked" and basically moved on, so i'm assuming it will be a while until they bother showing Guardsmen as truly heroic individuals again.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm sort of interested in that they call out Combat Patrol by name. I like 40K at smaller scales of play and I'm interested to see if that's a format they support,and if it plugs into the Crusade rules as well.

Listen I know I have an AoS army but Farsight Enclaves are calling my name.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

The Deleter posted:

I'm sort of interested in that they call out Combat Patrol by name. I like 40K at smaller scales of play and I'm interested to see if that's a format they support,and if it plugs into the Crusade rules as well.

I wonder if Combat Patrol is 9th edition's answer to the new Age of Sigmar Meeting Engagement battle format.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenMarine posted:

These popped up. Looks like they match the tiny images.

The new bikes look absolutely rad but the last guy strikes me as AoS way more than 40k, even with the power pack visible.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ashcans posted:

I was really hoping that at the end when the bigass Necron dude shows up amid the swarming Necrons they'd get leveled by a Leman Russ rolling into the square, kind of a loop with Sisters bailing out the IG, Space Marines bailing out Sisters, and then the big guns of the IG returning at the end. I guess it's not to be.

Although that cinematic was still cool and I guess I am collecting Sisters again. :ohdear:

Especially since the Miracle Dice mechanic seems like so much fun, and I've already got Marines, Guard, Knights, and a smattering of AdMech...so why not add another Imperium army? :sigh:

The Deleter posted:

I wonder how Combat Patrol is going to affect Kill Team? Isn't Kill Team supposed to be the very small unit battle system?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jng2058 posted:

I wonder how Combat Patrol is going to affect Kill Team? Isn't Kill Team supposed to be the very small unit battle system?

Combat Patrol fills a niche above KT, but smaller than "proper" 40k in my understanding. Like 400ish points, and it includes vehicles.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Kill Team is individual dudes (like a squad's worth) and Combat Patrol is just a small game of 40K with additional restrictions to stop, say, Calgar or the Swarmlord being present at a tiny border skirmish between scouting parties. I think they sort of overlap mechanically in that they would both be presented as "Hey this is the easy way to get into 40k," but Kill Team is sold as an individual thing and leans on its independence from the main 40K balance cycle a lot more, whereas Combat Patrol is just smaller 40K games.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Ah. Neat. Where's the info from?

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Combat Patrol fills a niche above KT, but smaller than "proper" 40k in my understanding. Like 400ish points, and it includes vehicles.

The Deleter posted:

Kill Team is individual dudes (like a squad's worth) and Combat Patrol is just a small game of 40K with additional restrictions to stop, say, Calgar or the Swarmlord being present at a tiny border skirmish between scouting parties. I think they sort of overlap mechanically in that they would both be presented as "Hey this is the easy way to get into 40k," but Kill Team is sold as an individual thing and leans on its independence from the main 40K balance cycle a lot more, whereas Combat Patrol is just smaller 40K games.

No I get that, but what I mean is:

Right now, if you want to play with your 40k models but only have a handful of them, you play them in Kill Team. But if Combat Patrol is successful, why wouldn't I just do that instead? Why should I lay out extra cash for the Kill Team box and tokens and stuff when I can just play Combat Patrol, which lets me graduate gradually into the main game without having to learn different rules, pay extra for different books, and generally let's me skip Kill Team entirely in favor of viable small scale 40k?

(Assuming that Combat Patrol actually works as intended in that manner, of course.)

It seems to me that this could kill off Kill Team, as it were. Has there actually been anything new for Kill Team published for months now? If there is, I missed it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

xtothez posted:

Aaaaand the Necrons:

Apparently one is called a Justicar, and is an Emperor's Champion style unit who duels enemy characters.

Looks awfully like a new Immortal with a Gauss Blaster bottom left.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Oh hey, the new novel's got a black ultramarine on the cover.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jng2058 posted:

Right now, if you want to play with your 40k models but only have a handful of them, you play them in Kill Team. But if Combat Patrol is successful, why wouldn't I just do that instead? Why should I lay out extra cash for the Kill Team box and tokens and stuff when I can just play Combat Patrol, which lets me graduate gradually into the main game without having to learn different rules, pay extra for different books, and generally let's me skip Kill Team entirely in favor of viable small scale 40k?

(Assuming that Combat Patrol actually works as intended in that manner, of course.)

It seems to me that this could kill off Kill Team, as it were. Has there actually been anything new for Kill Team published for months now? If there is, I missed it.

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean. As a "lure" for 40k, Combat Patrol will probably supersede KT, but like The Deleter said, KT does have a distinct ruleset from 40k. Who knows if any or how much of that stuff will work its way into 9th ed, but I could still see people preferring KT to just straight 40k at those ~125 points levels.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

(Assuming, of course, that Combat Patrol actually works as intended in that manner, of course.)

It seems to me that this could kill off Kill team, as it were. Has there actually been anything new for Kill Team published in months now? If there is, I missed it.

I have a friend who was fast talked into buy the start collecting tau box to get into the hobby, and since has been bought a couple of extra models like the Fire Warrior HQ (whatever they are called). He's also bought a broadside and I gave him ten kroot I happened to have lying around.

He can technically make like a 750 point tau list and I've played against him with a "good" guard list and then a weird inquisitorial stormtrooper list with Eisenhorn. After both games he's a firm believer that he prefers kill team and its a more interesting game.

Personally I really don't see it, KT feels a lot like rocket tag to me, but there will be people who prefer the game.

Personally I think I'd be inclined to say KT and Necromunda fill a similar slot rather than 40K and KT.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

xtothez posted:

New marines:

Why do I jinx myself all the time? Every drat summer.

First it was Primaris in general, then it was the WS codex, and now this.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Is the top left a new Gravis Devastator squad?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

GreenMarine posted:

Looks like it. I’m sure they’ll carry on the grand tradition of marrying high-tech Gravis armour with the finest heavy stubbers that Mars can provide!

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Do you think that's a generic chaplain or Cassius?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Isn’t Cassius part of the Deathwatch now? Can you serve your time in the ‘watch and return to your home chapter?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

GreenMarine posted:

Codex Supplement Ultramarines very briefly mentions something called a Hellfury in the context of the 9th company. That's probably what those are.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gunder posted:

Isn’t Cassius part of the Deathwatch now? Can you serve your time in the ‘watch and return to your home chapter?

Actually, yes. Happens all the time. In fact, if you do, you're allowed to keep your Deathwatch shoulder pad to commemorate your service.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Kill team and combat patrol fill specific niches in my local scene. Kill team is its own thing while combat patrol is considered a small scale game of 40k. A lot of players use combat patrol as a way to get the flavor of a new faction before diving in, or it’s seen as a way to scratch the 40k itch without dedicating a full afternoon. Kill team sees no overlap in that space.

As for the new edition, I’m glad to see they’re touting the story elements and it seems like they’re going to continue to advance the narrative. Even though 90% of the games at my store are matched play, games workshop advancing the narrative felt more important than the new rules set in launching 40k play back to local dominance. A lot of players really care about it here.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Why do I jinx myself all the time? Every drat summer.

First it was Primaris in general, then it was the WS codex, and now this.

Hey can you do this for plastic Aspect warriors for next year? Thanks!

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Really hope they made the gameplay better. I love everything about 40k, except the actual game. The models are amazing, the lore is great, there is a thriving local community, but everytime I play a game I find it dull. Fingers crossed they finally figured it out.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Mugaaz posted:

Really hope they made the gameplay better. I love everything about 40k, except the actual game. The models are amazing, the lore is great, there is a thriving local community, but everytime I play a game I find it dull. Fingers crossed they finally figured it out.

I just want them to reduce the amount of re-rolls. The only guy I play against has Ultramarines and it slows down the game so much. I know they'll never do it but I wish they could factor it into a single roll by increasing the die size and making it more granular.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Are we going to see a triple army starter set? (No, as they said in the 9 things video "less soup")

My god I am so happy right now, Crons are back baby, yeah!

Not surprised about the green plastic going, GW has got an amazing supply chain and having something like that really fucks with things.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain No-mates posted:

I just want them to reduce the amount of re-rolls. The only guy I play against has Ultramarines and it slows down the game so much. I know they'll never do it but I wish they could factor it into a single roll by increasing the die size and making it more granular.
:eyepop:
D20s in Warhammer 40k?! Heresy!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Prediction: The Assault Intercessors will get jump packs, but not on the monopose sprues in the starter box, only in the multipose kit. GW won't show us the multipose kit and reveal they can take jump packs until a week or two after the starter box is in stores. Also, those jump packs will look like the jump packs on Suppressors, and will be modular things that clip on top of the normal Primaris backpacks that come in the multipose Assault Intercessor box (like how the Infiltrator/Incursor backpacks are modular and you can give them either the targeter or the antennas), rather than being the big boxy jump packs of yore, because clip-on grav vanes take up way less space on sprues. GW will not mention, in any capacity, whether Assault Intercessors can or cannot take jump packs until the reveal of that multipose kit, so as not to scare people away from buying the starter kit and its ten non-jump-pack Assault Intercessors.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Captain No-mates posted:

Agreed. Switching to a d10 system would help balance and improve design space a bunch.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

notaspy posted:

Are we going to see a triple army starter set? (No, as they said in the 9 things video "less soup")

My god I am so happy right now, Crons are back baby, yeah!

Not surprised about the green plastic going, GW has got an amazing supply chain and having something like that really fucks with things.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mugaaz posted:

Captain No-mates posted:

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Agreed. Switching to a d10 system would help balance and improve design space a bunch.

Don't get your hopes up. Eighth is the most successful version of the game in ages. They aren't going to make major changes like dice alterations or dumping re-rolls. The changes will be tweaks, fiddles, and polish. If you don't like the core gameplay of 8th edition 40k, you aren't going to like it in 9th. It's going to be about the same.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

jng2058 posted:

Don't get your hopes up. Eighth is the most successful version of the game in ages. They aren't going to make major changes like dice alterations or dumping re-rolls. The changes will be tweaks, fiddles, and polish. If you don't like the core gameplay of 8th edition 40k, you aren't going to like it in 9th. It's going to be about the same.

I’m aware. And it sucks. 40k is good and I’m recent history it’s gotten better, but it could be way better yet.

Agreed with the previous goon who says they love everything about it except the gameplay itself. It’s okay but also meh.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Stephenls posted:

More Necron image leaks. I'm liking that what appears to be a new Shard of the Nightbringer draws heavily from the old one, as I always liked that model.

Necrons look like to be getting some wild poo poo, goddamn

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

jng2058 posted:

IMO, this logic is idiotic. 8th is the most successful because its the least poo poo one so far. That isn't an argument against removing all the unfiltered poo poo that still exists. However, I agree with your overall conclusion.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I’m aware. And it sucks. 40k is good and I’m recent history it’s gotten better, but it could be way better yet.

Agreed with the previous goon who says they love everything about it except the gameplay itself. It’s okay but also meh.

Switching to d10s would be utter garbage. Anything bigger than a d6 sucks hard when you're dealing with rolling more than maybe 2 at once, so would require a fundamental shift in how the game works (have you considered playing apocalypse?). There are a lot of people who really like the fundamentals of how the game works (myself included), and wouldn't be happy if they shifted that way.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mugaaz posted:

I mean the game has been more or less the same for a long time and they aren't really going to change any of the fundamentals. Was there an edition you liked and it changed? If not then I'm going to guess that it's just not a game for you and that's likely to never change.

Captain No-mates posted:

I honestly can't say I've ever experienced this being the main thing slowing down the game. In previous editions by far it was vehicle facing and blast weapons. I've not played a huge number of games in this edition to the point where I'm not having to double check rules etc, which slows the game a lot so I can't say.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I like the sound of some of the changes: terrain being more important, vehicles getting a rules overhaul, and hordes taking more damage from appropriate weapon types. Eighth is successful because it streamlined so much but I think there's some granularity that can be reintroduced while keeping the game tight and making a better product.

Personally I think they should do simultaneous turns or figure some method of speeding up the overall game while increasing the number of action/reaction player events.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Kitchner posted:

I mean the game has been more or less the same for a long time and they aren't really going to change any of the fundamentals. Was there an edition you liked and it changed? If not then I'm going to guess that it's just not a game for you and that's likely to never change.

I honestly can't say I've ever experienced this being the main thing slowing down the game. In previous editions by far it was vehicle facing and blast weapons. I've not played a huge number of games in this edition to the point where I'm not having to double check rules etc, which slows the game a lot so I can't say.

I dunno....I think the number of rolls in general is a little out of control in warhammer. It's always seemed odd to me that the defender gets their armor save. Still, I don't think you can eliminate that without the game feeling waaay different.

I love vehicle facing and blast templates but yeah...these aren't great for game speed. 40K really needs to be a faster game if it's going to capture a new generation of fans.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Spudd posted:

If you wanna post more of your thousand sons stuff I'd appreciate it.

OK, but I'm a pretty awful painter.

Here's everything I've done so far (plus some more extra rubrics and scarabs, and a couple maulerfiends I'm working on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Mugaaz posted:

IMO, this logic is idiotic. 8th is the most successful because its the least poo poo one so far. That isn't an argument against removing all the unfiltered poo poo that still exists. However, I agree with your overall conclusion.

Yeah this sums up my thoughts nicely.