Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

like a competent opposition party right now would be deploying everything from deep fakes of Trump phone call leaks setting abortion appointments to leveraging their insanely broad media sounding board to fight for popular policies that help people, but weeeelllll the megarich donors and lobbyists don't like that sort of thing so all that's left is to lose with dignity so that taxes on the super rich keep dropping and all spending on social welfare and infrastructure grinds to a halt because the short term returns on those are worse than mortgage backed securities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

.05% is your odds of catching it he says, but we're already at .5% infected.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
yeah for the most part the democrats are passive so the GOP hasn’t really had to fight before.

When the GOP had to deal with the one energetic campaign ran in the last 25 years they did poorly

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
these people all deserve boots on their necks. President Xi, we need you now more than ever.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Secretary Xi, please, my country, America, yearns for freedom

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Epic High Five posted:

Secretary Xi, please, my country, America, yearns for freedom

signed Johnny Applepie

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Epic High Five posted:

I think it'd be a lot less effective if it were deployed against a party less pathetic and hapless than the Democrats, but welp them's the breaks and it's literally been as effective a strategy when I was 12 years old as it is now because the stupid pathetic spineless motherfuckers who are "opposing" the fash are the biggest most pathetic stupid cowards of a party the world has ever birthed and are incapable of fighting back on anything like equal terms because they're totally happy with losing

Yep. Trouble is the Democrats are just as beholden to moneyed interests as the GOP is, but their constituents and their base just don't have the same economic clout, plain and simple.

We have a cartoonish, unapologetic evil political party that's wiping their rear end with the constitution right in front of our face every day - daring us to do anything about it - and an ineffectual, powerless, milquetoast and gutless opposition party that roughly one third of the population thinks hates jesus, wants to abolish Christmas and rapes children in underground pizza parlors.

I don't know if we've always been this hosed or if I'm just old enough now to really see it but god drat if I can see a way out. I've seen this weird creeping fascism working its way into our regular lives for a some time but I remain astonished at the SPEED by which it truly took hold and became normalized.

OANN is going to make what FOX News does seem quaint in the coming years, whether Trump wins in November or not. Mark it down.

I think it says something about this country that any time I see someone flying an American flag in their yard or on their car that it gives me a bad feeling about them.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Democrats are incapable of defeating these people.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I like that Mr. Stearns's beard covers parts of this face that rightfully shouldn't exist.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Democrats are incapable of defeating these people.

This may shock you, but Donald Trump is president.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Cocaine Bear posted:

Honestly, yes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

but he's a data analyst

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Avirosb posted:

Pretty sure this is a Dahir Insaat patent.
It's not a circle.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Thinking about a modern LBJ threatening McConnell with sexmurder makes me happy

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

ElGroucho posted:

Thinking about a modern LBJ threatening McConnell with sexmurder makes me happy

What will you say to get his rear end into the time machine

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

atomicgeek posted:

"Lynn, the Republicans think the Senate is their property!"

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

Wait WHAT

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cocaine Bear posted:

Bullshit!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Epic High Five posted:

I think it'd be a lot less effective if it were deployed against a party less pathetic and hapless than the Democrats, but welp them's the breaks and it's literally been as effective a strategy when I was 12 years old as it is now because the stupid pathetic spineless motherfuckers who are "opposing" the fash are the biggest most pathetic stupid cowards of a party the world has ever birthed and are incapable of fighting back on anything like equal terms because they're totally happy with losing

It derives straight from the stupid, pathetic and spineless way the Democratic electorate has dealt with their Republican relatives and friends for decades. The best chance for dragging this insane hosed up death cult out of power was...still completely willing to welcome "tricked" Trump suppoters to join them. The only bright thing about Biden is that at least he shits on them too.

Too many Americans think that their mom or hometown buddy being nice to them personally means they aren't an insane piece of poo poo wrecking untold damage on America and the world, and their only interaction with them should be either committing them to a mental hospital or cutting all ties if they don't do that.

This poo poo is so far beyond normal it is terrifying, and I can't believe people are still having Thanksgivings and Christmases with these absolute lunatics. And if Trump is defeated, it will be "just politics" in a goddamn split second once more and it will all happen again in 2024 or 2028.

DarkCrawler has issued a correction as of 14:41 on May 24, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a bunch of conservatives who reluctantly pulled the lever for Trump in 2016 who by now are all in on him 100% revere him as their golden idol. Dems don't understand how radicalized these people have gotten.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's a bunch of conservatives who reluctantly pulled the lever for Trump in 2016 who by now are all in on him 100% revere him as their golden idol. Dems don't understand how radicalized these people have gotten.

They seriously, deep down, believe he's actually super unpopular. Those that even give a thought to it believe his 96% approval rating in his party - the highest in the history it has been recorded - is because a bunch of people left the party because they don't like him. In reality, in a many states more people turned out to vote for Trump in an uncontested primary than turned out for the Dems.

They fundamentally cannot fit the notion of a politician to does the crude stuff people love while delivering them big victories that don't involve those child fuckers across the aisle, all while making GBS threads on everybody even remotely in opposition, because they live in some fanciful West Wing ideal world.

These people are fortunately a minority within the party, but UNFORTUNATELY they are also in charge of everything and the richest bloc by far. We are so, so tremendously hosed because they sincerely believe that an empty chair could win this all, so it's the perfect opportunity to compromise and water down their promises even further and cut loose even more of their base that won't fall in line and keep demanding things

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I don't think anyone realizes how much damage Aaron Sorkin did with the West Wing and the idea that politicians are fundamentally good people with good intentions and all we need is a good speech to rally everyone around!

Remember in the first season when Sam Seaborn, played by a guy who screwed a 16 year old on tape, accidentally dates a hooker?

If we ever get a Truth and Reconciliation Commission out of this, Sorkin needs to be witness #1.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BigDave posted:

Remember in the first season when Sam Seaborn, played by a guy who screwed a 16 year old on tape, accidentally dates a hooker?

he's also a real life libertarian apparently

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Mr Interweb posted:

he's also a real life libertarian apparently

BigDave posted:

a guy who screwed a 16 year old on tape

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

my bad

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Epic High Five posted:

They seriously, deep down, believe he's actually super unpopular. Those that even give a thought to it believe his 96% approval rating in his party - the highest in the history it has been recorded - is because a bunch of people left the party because they don't like him. In reality, in a many states more people turned out to vote for Trump in an uncontested primary than turned out for the Dems.

They fundamentally cannot fit the notion of a politician to does the crude stuff people love while delivering them big victories that don't involve those child fuckers across the aisle, all while making GBS threads on everybody even remotely in opposition, because they live in some fanciful West Wing ideal world.

These people are fortunately a minority within the party, but UNFORTUNATELY they are also in charge of everything and the richest bloc by far. We are so, so tremendously hosed because they sincerely believe that an empty chair could win this all, so it's the perfect opportunity to compromise and water down their promises even further and cut loose even more of their base that won't fall in line and keep demanding things

his approval ratings have been worse than any president in recent history-- he desperately wants to be a popular president, but he's not.

but i basically agree with everything else you wrote, the old guard dems are in comical levels of denial of the hyperpartisan politcal reality where you can alienate the mush-brained center as long as you turn out your goddamn base. the first election i paid attention to was 2004 and it was obvious even then what they were doing when a bunch of purple states that year had gay marriage bans on the ballot to make sure none of their voters sat this one out

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
His approval ratings have been garbo during a national crisis and only saw a tiny tiny bump.

Thats unprecedented.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bush's approval numbers were garbo in 2004 too but it didn't matter because he gave his base a reason to turn out anyway and Kerry didn't. Same thing is playing out this time. Same thing in 2016 too

Just like it doesn't matter how much a bible thumping fundie hates Biden, how much a Hamilton quoting lanyard hates Trump is also irrelevant. It's about base mobilization and only one party knows how to do this or even has any interest in doing it. Trump is reaching out to black voters who are sick of the Dems while the Dems are pushing away anybody left of Reagan, it's no mystery how this will end if it's allowed to continue

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Or how radicalized they have been for years and years.

This is what happens when you roll your eyes and let dad rant about Benghazi, illegals and welfare queens instead of saying he's a loving monster who won't be seeing his grandchildren until he stops being one. Stop normalizing their behavior by continuing to hang out with them.

Hate motivates. Hope may work IF you have the most charismatic speaker in half-a-century but if you don't have that then it's time to quit with the "Hey Republicans, see how much better UHC is?" and start with "Hey Democrats, these complete and utter wastes of human potential want to gently caress you over because they hate you. Vote or you let them win." Stop normalizing the behavior of Republicans by pretending it is a political disagreement and not a literal life or death struggle.

DarkCrawler has issued a correction as of 19:18 on May 24, 2020

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Epic High Five posted:

Trump is reaching out to black voters who are sick of the Dems

i wouldn't call it reaching out so much as strategically suppressing the opponent's base from turning out.

instead of pushing GOP-lite policies to court centrist votes, dems could easily run a hard-right voter suppression strategy in various ways. target blue collar workers with ads about trump's tax cuts for the rich and business in china. target Qanon people with photos of him palling around with epstein and the clintons. microtarget trump voters who've lost a loved one to covid with ads of him calling it a hoax, etc

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Trump is reaching out to black voters who are sick of the Dems while the Dems are pushing away anybody left of Reagan, it's no mystery how this will end if it's allowed to continue

To be fair this doesn't seem to be catching fire at all for him, nor should it, among black people. He can reach out all he wants but black support for Biden is pretty dialed in, it seems. At the end of the day he's still Trump.

E: yeah this might be more accurate ^^

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

atomicgeek posted:

GET YOUR rear end TO DA TIME MACHINE!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/Eugene_Scott/status/1264564513657028608

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

If believers truly had the Holy Spirit within them, Hensley argued, they should be able to handle rattlesnakes and any number of other venomous serpents. They should also be able to drink poison and suffer no harm whatsoever. Snake handling as a test or demonstration of faith became popular wherever Hensley traveled and preached in the small towns of Tennessee, Kentucky, the Carolinas, Virginia, Ohio, and Indiana. Sister-churches later sprang up throughout the Appalachian region.[10] In July 1955, Hensley died following a snakebite received during a service he was conducting in Altha, Florida.[11]

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I suspect God's going to be getting quite a lot of them before too long.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stoatbringer posted:

I suspect God's going to be getting quite a lot of them before too long.

St Peter will turn them away for having Corona Virus

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

You mean the guy who created the whole loving concept of a virus?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

south korea is pretty religious but yet they wear masks... i guess god only has you if... you're white? [or the whole conceit is just loving dumb]

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Strong Sauce posted:

south korea is pretty religious but yet they wear masks... i guess god only has you if... you're white? [or the whole conceit is just loving dumb]

south korea presumably lacks the insane strain of conservative evangelical that is common to America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

south korea presumably lacks the insane strain of conservative evangelical that is common to America

Actually I believe most Korean and Chinese Christians are of the evangelical variety due to the work of American missionaries.