Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Like I said: worst times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Like I said: worst times.

Yo. Long time reader, first time poster. Threads like this are tricky, inasmuch as I devour them because they are so interesting, but I flat-out have zero capacity to *contribute* anything to them (middle-aged dude living in the UK as I am).

If you'd be so kind as to nominate a charity you endorse, I'd be more than happy to make a donation, as an expression of thanks for the ongoing life of this fascinating thread.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

magimix posted:

Yo. Long time reader, first time poster. Threads like this are tricky, inasmuch as I devour them because they are so interesting, but I flat-out have zero capacity to *contribute* anything to them (middle-aged dude living in the UK as I am).

If you'd be so kind as to nominate a charity you endorse, I'd be more than happy to make a donation, as an expression of thanks for the ongoing life of this fascinating thread.

Like I keep saying, you don't need to contribute anything; just a comment or two would be helpful so I know I still have an audience.

And that's not necessary, it really isn't. People need all the money they can get in these rather trying times. Thank you though. :)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Great as always, Fritz! I appreciate your work but don't post much.

It's funny that Ford is a fairly recent president but he's like one of those nameless 19th century presidents (e.g: Pierce, Van Buren) that no one remembers. I had always thought that Ford was a good guy but the fact that he was naively defending Nixon as late as mid-summer 1974 has made me rethink that. I'm beginning to see why people were so suspicious of a quid pro quo when he pardoned Nixon upon taking office.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 15, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Like I keep saying, you don't need to contribute anything; just a comment or two would be helpful so I know I still have an audience.

And that's not necessary, it really isn't. People need all the money they can get in these rather trying times. Thank you though. :)

This is one of my favourite threads on this forum, and I would also like to thank you for making such a huge effort.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The days when only one high-ranking Republican would continue to cling to the belief that the President Had Done Nothing Wrong :sigh:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I mean, Nixon did make him Vice President, so maybe Ford felt obligated. You don't want to bite the hand that feeds you or seem like you're disloyal to the President.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
This is a great thread and I’m always psyched when there’s new content. My only other feedback is to maybe break the posts down into smaller installments. My eyes tend to start glazing over by halfway through and then I either just power through and know I’ve missed stuff or try to remember to restart when I’ve got more time

Just me though

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Epicurius posted:

I mean, Nixon did make him Vice President, so maybe Ford felt obligated. You don't want to bite the hand that feeds you or seem like you're disloyal to the President.

I think this might have been part of it. Ford's natural credulity, combined with his loyalty to the GOP, his previous friendship with Nixon, and Mitchell's assurances of innocence were a powerful cocktail.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Keith Atherton posted:

This is a great thread and I’m always psyched when there’s new content. My only other feedback is to maybe break the posts down into smaller installments. My eyes tend to start glazing over by halfway through and then I either just power through and know I’ve missed stuff or try to remember to restart when I’ve got more time

Just me though

Well, that's why I try not to wall-of-text you. I break stuff into small paragraphs and I have headers for each section. If you'd like, I can put short searchable text strings at the beginning of each section so you can use CTRL + F to jump right to them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Since it seems to frequently come up that you're unsure if people still read, I also want to say I lurk this thread and might not read everything immediately, but I do read everything when I get a chance to do so fully.

This is good, I would argue necessary, stuff.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah even though I don't have much to say I feel this is a very useful thread especially since it shines a lot of light on how we got to the point we're at today.

EDIT: For example, that loving ghoul Donald Rumsfeld constantly hanging around the White House for like 30 years and only remembering that happened when he gets mentioned.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
This is probably my favorite D&D thread, thanks so much for posting!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I lurk and read as well

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah even though I don't have much to say I feel this is a very useful thread especially since it shines a lot of light on how we got to the point we're at today.

EDIT: For example, that loving ghoul Donald Rumsfeld constantly hanging around the White House for like 30 years and only remembering that happened when he gets mentioned.

Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure that between Republican administrations, Rumsfeld retreats to a nest he's built out of newspaper and bile somewhere in the basement. You know, like that dude from The X-Files.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure that between Republican administrations, Rumsfeld retreats to a nest he's built out of newspaper and bile somewhere in the basement. You know, like that dude from The X-Files.

I assume that Stephen Miller will be doing much the same.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

I assume that Stephen Miller will be doing much the same.

What are you, kidding? That rat-faced racist gently caress will find the highest-paying gig he can get in right-wing media and just grift for the rest of his life until another Trump comes along.

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
This thread is good and I appreciate what's in it. Thanks!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

What are you, kidding? That rat-faced racist gently caress will find the highest-paying gig he can get in right-wing media and just grift for the rest of his life until another Trump comes along.

I don't know, the whole reason he's been effective is because he stays out of the spotlight; unless you meant he'd be like an editor for Breitbart or some right-wing hate machine.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like the long-form posts from Fritz Coldcockin but I do end up saving them to read on my computer instead of on my phone's Awful App. I feel they deserve the bigger monitor/screen.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It's important that none of the people who have even the slightest bit to do with the Trump administration ever come close to power again once this bullshit is finally over.

What will likely happen is that some of these fuckers will still be around and influential somehow 40 goddamn years from now. Miller is absolutely a candidate for this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Fritz we need these posts in audiobook form. Who would you like to get to read?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Fritz we need these posts in audiobook form. Who would you like to get to read?

Hmmm...Oliver Platt or David McCullough.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

It's important that none of the people who have even the slightest bit to do with the Trump administration ever come close to power again once this bullshit is finally over.

What will likely happen is that some of these fuckers will still be around and influential somehow 40 goddamn years from now. Miller is absolutely a candidate for this.

Regrettably, you're absolutely right. While Steve Bannon, for example, will most likely not be hired by future Republican administrations, Stephen Miller absolutely will worm his way into someone else's confidence. There's a reason that "DC staffer" is a lifetime job and not just a gig someone works for a few years under one administration. There's always another game, another grift, another lunatic to hitch your wagon to if you're a young Republican rear end in a top hat and you're ambitious enough.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Regrettably, you're absolutely right. While Steve Bannon, for example, will most likely not be hired by future Republican administrations, Stephen Miller absolutely will worm his way into someone else's confidence. There's a reason that "DC staffer" is a lifetime job and not just a gig someone works for a few years under one administration. There's always another game, another grift, another lunatic to hitch your wagon to if you're a young Republican rear end in a top hat and you're ambitious enough.

it's not even really limited to Republicans it just seems that they're the ones who are most likely to hang around forever and keep doing damage.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

it's not even really limited to Republicans it just seems that they're the ones who are most likely to hang around forever and keep doing damage.

Larry Summers, come, on, DOWN!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I mean, there's one guaranteed way to permanently get rid of these people and they all deserve it. After due process and a fair trial* of course.

*as determined by the lawful and legitimate revolutionary government

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

I mean, there's one guaranteed way to permanently get rid of these people and they all deserve it. After due process and a fair trial* of course.

*as determined by the lawful and legitimate revolutionary government

No guillotine humor, please? Not here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does everything regarding our presidents have to be bad?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Grouchio posted:

Does everything regarding our presidents have to be bad?

Well, it takes a certain kind of person to be sociopathic enough to seek the office, so it's really not all that surprising when they turn out to be dicks. Some of them are just better at keeping the facade up.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

No guillotine humor, please? Not here.

yeah, the appropriate joke for the thread is that if you expect America to hold up its end of the bargain after you've worked for it, George Washington himself will roll up to shoot you for your stupidity. keep your head down and accept being ruined is better than being murdered for your temerity in expecting your betters to honor their bargains. that's what the founders based our system of government on, and it's the only one of their traditions that continues unbroken to this day.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah, the appropriate joke for the thread is that if you expect America to hold up its end of the bargain after you've worked for it, George Washington himself will roll up to shoot you for your stupidity. keep your head down and accept being ruined is better than being murdered for your temerity in expecting your betters to honor their bargains. that's what the founders based our system of government on, and it's the only one of their traditions that continues unbroken to this day.

Oh my God, gently caress off with this. Surely there are a thousand threads in CSPAM you could go barf this nonsense into. You wanna make a thread to talk about how all American Presidents were bloodthirsty murderers? Go right ahead.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 23, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

idk. i feel like miller has bannons problem too that he is too obviously awful and visible and he makes an easy scapegoat for poo poo. like yeah miller will probably work at some super alt right think tank place. but the Romney/kasich types who will probably try to "reclaim" the party somewhat if trump loses will use miller as an obvious "look at this loving ghoul" type poo poo. its the fuckers like pompeo/barr/ratcliff who will keep worming their way around after trump falls.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Get out.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Oh my God, gently caress off with this. Surely there are a thousand threads in CSPAM you could go barf this nonsense into. You wanna make a thread to talk about how all American Presidents were bloodthirsty murderers? Go right ahead.

the modern American system of government owes its existence to some damned uppity farmers expecting to be paid for their military service during the Revolutionary War, who nearly toppled the whole system of government until their former commander killed some sense into them. this is not hyperbole. this is a statement of cold, hard, historical fact. Shay's Rebellion. it's a thing. history is mute on if this was viewed with eager bloodthirst or as a tragic necessity, but this is not likely relevant to the dead.

that nice Miranda gentleman might have taken the song about it out of the musical, but that was the proximate cause for the Second Constitutional Convention. they'd needed to drag old G-Wash out of retirement to shoot a bunch of his former soldiers dead for the crime of expecting to be paid, and it was determined this could not continue.

we then celebrated instituting a government that could do so more effectively with the Whiskey Rebellion where, again, we shot a bunch of morons who made the mistake of thinking their role was something other than to eat poo poo on behalf of their wealthy betters. so began a proud tradition that continues to this very day!

take heart that when your president tells you it's your job to die to keep the economy from suffering, he is not being any kind of unprecedented monster. he is acting as heir to a 250-year old proud tradition, of explaining to you that there are real people, who matter, and there's you, who can be safely sacrificed to preserve the interests of real people.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

sir this is a Wendy's drive-thru thread for historical biographies

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

oldskool posted:

sir this is a Wendy's drive-thru thread for historical biographies

and the segment of the first of those biographies that reads "shot a bunch of my former soldiers for insisting they be paid for their time serving under me" is noteworthy, in that it started an American tradition that continues on to the present day

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Once again YMB runs into a thread they haven't read with the intent to ruin it because it's not a Howard-Zinn-approved hatchet job on American history. And I say that as someone who appreciates A People's History

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Once again YMB runs into a thread they haven't read with the intent to ruin it because it's not a Howard-Zinn-approved hatchet job on American history. And I say that as someone who appreciates A People's History

click the question mark by my name for a fun surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I like how he implicitly argues in favor of the Articles of Confederation in his zeal to poo poo all over a thread that doesn't have any of his poison in it yet.