Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

In that flashback dream, we have a pleasant house, a sleeping spouse, then comes an ominous knock at the door. I'm thinking we've been sent by the government, and maybe not totally voluntarily.Then again, to be a little meta, in horror games with amnesiac protagonists we often find that we are the cause of it all "I guess you got what you deserved."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I try to keep from watching bacter LPs until they’re finished, because I love them and like to binge a whole story at once. I just gave in and watched the existing videos because it’s a subtitled LP, and I think those are the best for horror games. Loving it so far. My thoughts:

Wolfie: I think he’s partly to blame for this whole mess. I think he was exiled from the village before the plague started. Then when poo poo hit the fan, he just joyously watched instead of trying to help. I blame the shiny stones for the plague itself though.

Doctor I’m on the side of the doctor being a nice guy who got infected and went a little crazy. We’ve seen what the plague does to people. Even while going crazy he still had his patients’ best interest at heart. He was trying to cure them. They didn’t have the standard mad scientist alterations, like one person grafted to another, or replaced sewn on body parts. He even kept the cut off parts on ice, as if to reattach them in the future or scientifically study them.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Glimpse posted:

In that flashback dream, we have a pleasant house, a sleeping spouse, then comes an ominous knock at the door. I'm thinking we've been sent by the government, and maybe not totally voluntarily.Then again, to be a little meta, in horror games with amnesiac protagonists we often find that we are the cause of it all "I guess you got what you deserved."

I thought near the end of that dream that I heard the broken bike bell, and that made me think it was the bike guy who was at the door.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I feel like we are from an Umbrella like corporation or government. Maybe they didn't start it, but we are not really here to help, more to study it or assess the situation. Definitely get the feeling that this area is given up as lost already. Possibly we are looking for a way to contain it, using our findings to help the outside world.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thesaya posted:

I feel like we are from an Umbrella like corporation or government. Maybe they didn't start it, but we are not really here to help, more to study it or assess the situation. Definitely get the feeling that this area is given up as lost already. Possibly we are looking for a way to contain it, using our findings to help the outside world.

combat data

so valuable

worth milliions

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Also keep in mind the ovens that are littered around safehouses that offer protection to outsiders like our character from the night. The implication I got was that people from outside were looking into ways to stay inside this hell forest and I got the impression that our character was probably amongst them, especially with the possession of a key leading outside. So there was at least some infrastructure done to allow outsiders to surive, and not just in one location but at different points throughout the (known) forest.

Wolfie: I am not entirely sure what to think of him. My current theory is that he is the hunted wolf having come back to life due to the forest (potentially as a weird mental amalgation with the hunter himself? I am not sure entirely how it fits to be honest and I keep going back and forth how sensible it is but I get a feeling that some part of the hunter at least got transferred or combined with the wolf itself). He imitates the hunter in a lot of ways, and part of me reads it as a way to utterly spite the person that killed him. Taking over his job and his title so to speak, hunting humans instead of animals for sport and displaying them as well as the whole business with the hunters wife.

One thing I wanna point out that I find interesting is how despite there being a whole theme of the forest reclaiming "nature" and slowly consuming, absorbing or twisting anything human or manmade inside it, that Wolfie is special how because being a hunter he uses artifical weapons, hunts for sport instead of sustenance judging by the stuffed humans and seems to occupy manmade structures, not to mention his obvious human intelligence. I dunno if this means that he is not entirely of the forest, having some unnatural features to him, that this is not entirely a thing of "natural vs unnatural" and the forest just wants to specifically spite humans or if there even is a specific purpose beyond what is happening like that.

Doctor: my headcanon is that the doc started well-intentioned, but probably was kind of a prick from the start. Like he didn't start off in full "willing to beat up a bound guy" mode but even in normal times he would be kind of a rear end in a top hat, even if he did his job well. This is based entirely on my gut feeling tho :v:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
My droogs, I'm actually super happy with the way this turned out. There was QUITE a range of opinions, and to decide the final fate of Wolfie, I actually had to turn to a dice-roller online!

We're letting him live. That means we just walk away. He won't appear in this video, in fact. If we see him again, we see him. But what trouble could he possibly cause us, now that he has what he wants?

This is a REAL turning point in the game. We've master all three areas of the woods, we've survived nights, we've gotten good at crafting. We're wearing the gooey shell of a giant beetle, we have a real gun, and we gave some villagers a giant mutant pig.

What's left? Why, to finish...

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

And since we're all about content warnings, there's some kind of gruesome descriptions of stuff in this chapter. Body horror, like usual.

As per usual, we've got a bit of a votey-vote coming up.

What should we do now?
Obvious choices are: explore, go see that giant talking tree, visit the junkyard, look for the doctor.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 20, 2020

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The new episode gets awfully dark (literally) around 9:05 and starts getting visible around 13 minutes, is that intentional? It doesn't get as bright as the first 9 minutes

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

dervinosdoom posted:

The new episode gets awfully dark (literally) around 9:05 and starts getting visible around 13 minutes, is that intentional? It doesn't get as bright as the first 9 minutes

Woah, no.

Something messed up with the video.

UPDATE ON HOLD FOR ABOUT AN HOUR PROLLY.

Thanks!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Fixed!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Well the giant talking tree doesn't seem to have helped anyone else, so I don't see why we'd be any different. Let's just explore.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
The Human Spiders appear to have an eye growth in the center of them like the ones growing from the ground.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
So much for “no stitched together bodies”. I vote to visit the junkyard, as it’s likely to have those compressor parts we need. Apparently. For something.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Definitely Junkyard exploration. If there's any place most likely to have a bunch of things we can use for crafting upgrades and resupplying, it's a junkyard.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Junkyard!

Also for some reason I forgot we were still only in chapter 1 up until now, I thought we were actually approaching endgame. Glad to see we're not!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Well, I think we should start out with some exploration, see what is near before we start going for further off locations. I feel like looking for the doctor might be included in this, but then, you have foreknowledge, so maybe he is really far away. :j:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am more curious about the talking tree myself. Is it someone (or more people) merged with a tree?

Also, even though it makes sense from a gameplay point of view to make things harder as we further progress, it does look like we escaped into a worse more hellish place than the one we were before.

Our new safe house is completely wrecked, there are eyeballs in the ground and sentient human spiders. And I am not sure what the hell was the thing in the swamp (was it the thing that was speaking there?), or the horrible looking person who was shot by a soft bullet (?) and apparently now cracked his own skull.

Lovely.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

talking tree

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I am a sucker for a good junkyard. Kill two birds with one stone mushroom, and explore a little bit on the way.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Explore the junkyard.

Sorry if you have already answered this, but will you show or tell us what happens if you give the key to the locked up sister to the Musician?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Sure will!

I’m still getting my head around how to best summarize things - I may wait until the end of the main play through a do an “alternate paths” cut.

Aki.
Mar 12, 2007

A goblin in the works.
Hmm, I'm going for Junkyard initially. Might find some interesting gubbinz in there.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

I'd prefer the tree be visited first. If there was a talking tree anywhere near me, I'd want to check it out pronto!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm voting for exploring the area. If we try to go somewhere without any sort of handle on what this place is like, we could be seriously screwed.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Explore maybe? These all sound like good options.

Thanks for pointing out that things are often very different looking when you're not looking at them in the burned house, I hadn't been paying attention to what was outside our field of vision as much before. Now I know our new eye roommate is awfully shy, staring at us when we're not looking and shutting when we are.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Explore maybe you will find more cool gross secrets.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Exploring when we've entered a new area has served us well so far, then we should keep up our streak of choosing bad friends and go to the talking tree

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, it looks like we're gonna go for the JUNKYARD (and explore along the way!)

Folks, there is a TON to do in the swamp. So much that this is gonna be another TWO-PARTER.

I'm really, really happy with the progression these days - I think both of these parts are very different, and both very satisfying for different reasons!

We're really closing in on the mystery of this place - the first area was broken up into subsections, this area is broken into sub-tasks (and the pressure is on more than ever, because if you thought it sucked before....)

I'm open for opining about who we are / what's going on, and I'm sure that'll change the more we see revealed. And there's a lot to see this time!

But of course... MORE DECISIONS TO BE MADE NEXT!

As always, don't spoiler your votes, I'm just doin' it here.

TIME TO PICK UPGRADES!

We hit another upgrade level, so like usual, it's pick one positive and one negative.

Choices are:

1) Adrenaline - I will deal double damage in melee when close to death.

2) Vitality - My vitality will increase. (to be clear, this is health, not stamina)

3) Chameleon - Once a day, I will be able to become invisible to enemies, if I stay still.

Negatives are:

4) Weak Regeneration - Healing items will be less effective.

5) Shaky Hands - My accuracy will decrease.

As usual, some of these are FLAGRANTLY better than others.

We ALSO have to choose what to do next!

We'll go back to check on the snail, now that he's left.

Choices at this point are:

1) Make for the house with "holes" marked on it
2) Talk to the tree
3) Explore, keeping an eye out for oxygen tanks

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hey content warning on episode #2 - if you're squeamish about body horror stuff, there's some grossness.... well, in this whole game, but especially from 8:33-11:00 and 14:06-14:15

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:smith:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, EASTERN EUROPEAN GAMES!

*a cha cha chaaaaa*

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 23, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ok. After watching your sweet moves, I'm gonna suggest something that I wouldn't do myself but seems to play entirely within your strengths given that you took that monster with just a shovel

adrenaline
shaky hands (since melee is probably less affected by this)

(I was very close to choosing chameleon, but I doubt that you would be the type to just sit in your home for an entire night while there are bug shells to be collected!)

I am entirely that idiot that would try to kill the red chomper household with just a shovel and maybe a few bear traps since I would tell myself that there is a more dangerous monster that would require whatever I had hoarded up for the entire game. I despair for the people that would want to watch me play this and it's more fun to see you do it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I have a theory - that the weirdass oven-vapours thing is not a good thing. The most normal people we've seen (in the village) didn't have them, only us mushroom-mutants do. Do the vapours cause mutations? Ooh, maybe they're releasing fungal spores? The weak lungs / out of breath mutations could imply that what we're breathing ain't so great.

I'm gonna suggest Vitality and Shaky Hands - extra health is going to help us constantly, think of the extra hit it allows us before dying as equalling adrenaline's benefit, and Shaky Hands because fuuuuuuuuuuuuck nerfing healing.

Also we should Visit the Giving Tree. Who knows what we'll get? (Death and/or body horror are most likely, I'll admit)

e: omg, the trees are functioning as brain cells, aren't they? with what the doc told us at the junk site about :science: that might just fit!

lofi fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 24, 2020

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
I am going to have so many nightmares about that snail :stare: it kinda reminds me of a Junji Ito story but so much worse than what happened in that.

I'd say go with Vitality and Weak Regeneration you look to be pretty good at avoiding stuff so less effective health items is a better trade off than less accuracy.

and with this next part I did get spoiled with some things that happen in this part of the game (including some out of context bits of the ending) so I'm just gonna vote for the stuff I don't know about. I know what happens at the tree so I'm voting that we go check out the Hole House

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
See we didn't even need to kill the Doc, he is probably going to turn into a tree or some poo poo.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Oh how naive I was to think that getting through that tunnel would get us out of the woods.

I'm glad we spared the doctor even if he's unfortunately doomed, his dialogue is really nice. He's going crazy but he's clearly an intelligent man and has some interesting insights into the surroundings and his own descent into madness.

I'm wondering if we have different supernatural factions at play here. The trader wanted us to stay, the trees were making escape impossible, but a whole bunch of people are being driven by some sort of siren to go onwards. Now we meet a snail-man who was once a human who was also literally rooted to the ground who also wanted to follow the voice, is it the trees at work again?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Rawkking posted:

Oh how naive I was to think that getting through that tunnel would get us out of the woods.

:smith::hf::smith:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Put me down for Vitality, Weak Regeneration and Hole Haus. Increasing the amount of punishment you can take before going down is always good, and we already have scream to clear away enemies in a pinch so chameleon seems redundant. And I've only rarely seen you use healing items and you seem to have a fair supply of them squirreled away so making them a bit less effective seems acceptable.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Vitality, Weak regen, go see the tree . I’m thinking the trees are more like cancer cells than brain cells. They’re certainly growing out of control. Or maybe they’re both! I really like the snail man design. It’s not often horror games do body horror that well. It’s always people with sewn parts, or weird growths. There’s this whole theme of devouring going on and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vitality because stat ups are always good, weak regen because missing during fights is a good way to die. We have access to more healing items anyway since we took Mushroom Healing earlier, I think? I know we didn't take the wood-healing one.

Incidentally, can we get a list in the OP of what perks/flaws we've taken?

Meander towards the hole house, taking a slightly scenic route and looking for oxygen tanks along the way.

The tree is giving me final-boss type vibes and I think we probably want to scope out everything else in this area before we go and talk to it.

I think maybe the smaller trees are all on runner roots underground and are all connected offshoots of the big talking tree? Lots of normal trees spread like that, and of course so do a lot of fungi, so mutant trees in fungus-central almost certainly do.
And following on from that I suspect the mushrooms have a symbiotic relationship with the tree network as well.

Snail man was gross, but in a good way, body horror needs to involve very specific things for me to feel squicked out and I really hope this game doesn't do those things.