Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I love that you've gotten so used to the Serpent Armor's Frostbite missing that you completely failed to notice that you successfully froze the Purifier right before you put an axe through the Shieldbearer's face. :allears:

What's extra weird is that they phased through the floor after they got Frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

W.T. Fits posted:

I love that you've gotten so used to the Serpent Armor's Frostbite missing that you completely failed to notice that you successfully froze the Purifier right before you put an axe through the Shieldbearer's face. :allears:

Or the fact that the frostbite pulled the purifier out of cover, and somehow glitched him down through the floor. Which is why it took so long to get LOS again because it was in a completely unexpected location.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I feel like, once you get Domination, Soul Fire and either Null Lance or Void Rift on a Psi Soldier, they're pretty much good to go. Everything else is really just gravy. There are a lot of fun abilities they can get, but those 3 really do form the core of what you want your psion to be doing. Soul Fire is your basic go-to ability for dealing steady damage, Domination's usefulness is obvious, and Null Lance is great for nuking down a major target, while Void Rift is a really solid area effect damage ability.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

How does the chosen teleport-on-damage ability work? Is it random, does it put him into cover, break LOS, just get him further away, or something else?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Crazy Achmed posted:

How does the chosen teleport-on-damage ability work? Is it random, does it put him into cover, break LOS, just get him further away, or something else?

I believe they can teleport to any place within LOS of any of your troops. Which has the counter-intuitive effect of making it better to bunch them up, as then they'll see less total space and the teleport can't take them as far. If you think you're going to spread out to be able to flank more possible locations, all it does is allow the destination to be further away from most of your soliders, and I think the game will never teleport them anywhere flanked (probably barring weird situations like spending time and grenades to flatten the whole arena)

(This at least is the rule for another teleporting enemy, which I will not name as it hasn't appeared yet. It's been a while since I fought a Chosen that rolled Planeswalker.)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Gothsheep posted:

I feel like, once you get Domination, Soul Fire and either Null Lance or Void Rift on a Psi Soldier, they're pretty much good to go. Everything else is really just gravy. There are a lot of fun abilities they can get, but those 3 really do form the core of what you want your psion to be doing. Soul Fire is your basic go-to ability for dealing steady damage, Domination's usefulness is obvious, and Null Lance is great for nuking down a major target, while Void Rift is a really solid area effect damage ability.

I'd add fuse. Grenades have often been a bit of a bane but they aren't once you start cooking off your enemies' grenades in their holsters. It both deals damage and removes a major offensive option from the opponent.

Serial is pretty broken on Snipers but really broken on a high damage, high crit Ranger as amply demonstrated by Vaughn. It puts Reaper into the shade which is kinda sad. The not damage penalty on multiple shots kinda puts it over the top and the right mods kinda nullify the ammo limitation.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

(This at least is the rule for another teleporting enemy, which I will not name as it hasn't appeared yet. It's been a while since I fought a Chosen that rolled Planeswalker.)

Oh I just realized how far behind plot-wise we are lol

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Munin posted:

I'd add fuse. Grenades have often been a bit of a bane but they aren't once you start cooking off your enemies' grenades in their holsters. It both deals damage and removes a major offensive option from the opponent.

Fuse is great, not to mention hilarious, but I don't think I'd put it as required. It's an ability that makes a good Psion great, like Inspire or Solace, but I think the core that's absolutely necessary is the reliable damage of Soul Fire, the amazing utility of Domination, and then something role-defining like the area of Void Rift or huge damage of Null Lance.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Fuse is 100% guaranteed damage and because it's an explosion it can also destroy cover correct? More cover removal and it can hit it's allies, and in the case of flamer guys, make them less dangerous.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's also great against MECs since it eliminates their ability to destroy your cover while also damaging them and shredding their armor.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

re: fuse--

Has it changed since vanilla? In vanilla, it had a chance to miss, and also I don't think worked on ADVENT Mecs. As such, usually I skipped fuse outright because there was always something more interesting to do with a psi op.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
That was the quickest chosen stronghold i've seen.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, when I did my WotC playthrough, all three strongholds had me fight my way through at least 4-5 rooms worth of trash before making it to the teleporter. You really lucked out with that layout.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Something you do that I find kind of baffling is you not spreading kills around. That opening was a great spot to get a kill or two for silentsnack and sugar, but you just serialed them to death. Like I get the action economy savings and all, but...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Fuse is 100% guaranteed damage and because it's an explosion it can also destroy cover correct? More cover removal and it can hit it's allies, and in the case of flamer guys, make them less dangerous.
Bingo. It isn't obviously spectacular like Dominate or Null Lance, but it's a guaranteed "delete cover" button with minor damage that can also drop enemies through floors and has no cool down. For a utility class like the Psi Op, it's great for digging mutons and such out of cover, and setting up guaranteed kills for your rangers and sharpshooters without spending consumables or high cooldown abilities.

I've seen fuse miss exactly once in WotC, and the Trooper's grenade still went off and shredded his cover anyway, so I suspect a glitch.

Gothsheep posted:

It's an ability that makes a good Psion great, like Inspire or Solace,
Solace is actually one of the reasons I'll rush psi if I get a power coil on the 3rd level down and an inspiration on psionics. Having it in play against the Chosen and late game psi enemies is huge. You can completely negate mind scorch, various daze-inflicting abilities, and mind control.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Bingo. It isn't obviously spectacular like Dominate or Null Lance, but it's a guaranteed "delete cover" button with minor damage that can also drop enemies through floors and has no cool down. For a utility class like the Psi Op, it's great for digging mutons and such out of cover, and setting up guaranteed kills for your rangers and sharpshooters without spending consumables or high cooldown abilities.

I've seen fuse miss exactly once in WotC, and the Trooper's grenade still went off and shredded his cover anyway, so I suspect a glitch.

Solace is actually one of the reasons I'll rush psi if I get a power coil on the 3rd level down and an inspiration on psionics. Having it in play against the Chosen and late game psi enemies is huge. You can completely negate mind scorch, various daze-inflicting abilities, and mind control.

One thing is that Psi Ops abilities that aren't guaranteed key off the Psi Amp such that the damaging stuff like the Null Lance or Soulfire key off of that for their damage rather than the Ops's stats

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
It's a shame you got the STFU Central bug on that mission. The Chosen all have unique dialog when you invade their stronghold. Usually with them threatening to wipe out all of humanity if you don't back off. Some of it can also give a little bit of insight into what the Elders are doing behind the scenes, and I think the Assassin had one line like that.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Maybe switching to the new scene will fix it...

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Dancer posted:

Maybe switching to the new scene will fix it...

Even if it does, I think once the fight starts, it just goes back to normal Chosen jabber. Might not, though? Honestly by that point I'd always stopped paying attention to what they were saying.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I feel kinda bad for the assassin tbh. She's just here for the fight, she's so loving pumped to have death on the line, she's basically a Klingon, and she's not like, outwardly a monster like her two shithead brothers.

e: iirc if you kill one of the others first the elder remarks that she feels sadness coming from the assassin at the loss of her brother. RIP to a real one, can't wait to kill your dickhead wizard brother next

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 24, 2020

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

It's a shame you got the STFU Central bug on that mission. The Chosen all have unique dialog when you invade their stronghold. Usually with them threatening to wipe out all of humanity if you don't back off. Some of it can also give a little bit of insight into what the Elders are doing behind the scenes, and I think the Assassin had one line like that.

Personally, my favorite is one of the Hunter's lines for when you invade his stronghold.

"I'd like to say that you're walking into an elaborate trap right now, but that would be lying. To tell the truth, I never thought anyone would willingly come to this place."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I mean, she is an absolute psychopath openly aware that she works in the service of monsters with Very Bad Plans for humanity. At least the Hunter never pretends to be anything he's not.

Seeing the Chosen die to DoTs, fall damage, or the AI's absolute stubborn refusal to respect bladestorm is always a bit funny. I thought for sure you were going to Banish her at the end.

Also, re: claymores, I have found them useful as an opener against chosen who shell-shocked, vulnerable to Reapers or both. If you toss a claymore on a shell-shocked plus enemy:Reapers chosen then hit them with another explosive, it's like 30+ damage and will send them back to the sarcophagus unless they are at max stats.

One thing I didn't know until this LP was that hitting her with a Reaper's target definition allows you to see where she is even after she re-cloaks. That's super useful.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 24, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Dead Reckoning posted:

I mean, she is an absolute psychopath openly aware that she works in the service of monsters with Very Bad Plans for humanity. At least the Hunter never pretends to be anything he's not.

Seeing the Chosen die to DoTs, fall damage, or the AI's absolute stubborn refusal to respect bladestorm is always a bit funny. I thought for sure you were going to Banish her at the end.

Also, re: claymores, I have found them useful as an opener against chosen who shell-shocked, vulnerable to Reapers or both. If you toss a claymore on a shell-shocked plus enemy:Reapers chosen then hit them with another explosive, it's like 30+ damage and will send them back to the sarcophagus unless they are at max stats.

One thing I didn't know until this LP was that hitting her with a Reaper's target definition allows you to see where she is even after she re-cloaks. That's super useful.

SugarAddict is only a captain and doesn't have banish. I kinda only did this mission because I couldn't think of anything else useful to do with my scanning time, and the recent run of flawless missions had me feeling pretty good about my chances of not needing the "delete one enemy" button.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I mean you did, this was ridiculous. A flawless rating, the closest that you came to losing it was a loving zombie whiffing on the swing next to it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I have always described the Chosen Part 2 missions as "you have to fight the rectangle".

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Re: Bradford figuring out the rectangle, the Chosen's most notable gimmicks are teleporting where ever you are in the world, and coming back after being killed. Clearly, such things are possible in XCOM world.

When you arrive in their sanctum sanctorum, they have absolutely no furniture, but an entire loving room centered around displaying their giant piece of inexplicable, glowing, hovering, post-modern decor. Making the leap that it's somehow related to their alien hyperpowers honestly seems like the most logical conclusion.

How loving funny would it be if you went through the ascension gate and found the glowy purple room strewn with discarded Advent Burger takeout containers, ikea furniture, a big screen TV on milk crates, mattress on a box spring on the floor, laundry hamper full of clean but unfolded clothes?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They really should've ditched the rectangle and just given the Chosen, like, 3 times the HP, immunity to the repeater, and an extra action every turn -- something like that. Make it an actual boss fight instead of... this.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I feel kinda bad for the assassin tbh. She's just here for the fight, she's so loving pumped to have death on the line, she's basically a Klingon, and she's not like, outwardly a monster like her two shithead brothers.

e: iirc if you kill one of the others first the elder remarks that she feels sadness coming from the assassin at the loss of her brother. RIP to a real one, can't wait to kill your dickhead wizard brother next

It wasn't sadness, it was 'emptiness'. And yeah, Assassin is definitely the least horrible of the three. I remember at some point in my game she remarked that she is aware that the Elders implanted an overriding sense of honor in her that forces her to obey them, but it works so she'll serve them faithfully.

Another one of the lines we didn't get to hear because of Bradford Jabber in the first part of her stronghold, she'll say something like, "Yes, humanity's sacrifice will be great, but equally great will be their reward!"

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

megane posted:

They really should've ditched the rectangle and just given the Chosen, like, 3 times the HP, immunity to the repeater, and an extra action every turn -- something like that. Make it an actual boss fight instead of... this.

To be fair to the game, if you take on these missions before you have top-tier equipment and high-level troops with tons of extra actions, they can be really exciting and tense. It just follows the same inverted difficulty issue the whole game has, which is that it gets easier as you go.

....I still want to see the final mission with all three of the Chosen; supposedly each one shows up there if not dead. Must make the final room a total clusterfuck.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

End game spoiler. One thing to note is that the Elders aren't doing it for shits and giggles. They are definitely feeling that their back is against the wall and that humans are stupid to prevent them from facing some sort of greater threat. Of course it is difficult to cooperate on that since, A. they never bothered being up front about this whole huge threat thing, and B, in part because of that they behaved and come across as total dicks.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Summary footage of the previous mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO2t6LO9oLI&t=63s

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

FairGame posted:

SugarAddict is only a captain and doesn't have banish. I kinda only did this mission because I couldn't think of anything else useful to do with my scanning time, and the recent run of flawless missions had me feeling pretty good about my chances of not needing the "delete one enemy" button.

And you didn't need the button at all. It helps when your Templar can Rend for 22 damage and the enemy reinforcement wave is an Archon (ugh) and a...Chrysalid?

All the Chosen weapons are bananas. I love them all, except for the Warlock's and his is pretty good. Do you plan to share the love around, or will one soldier be gifted both?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

To be fair to the game, if you take on these missions before you have top-tier equipment and high-level troops with tons of extra actions, they can be really exciting and tense. It just follows the same inverted difficulty issue the whole game has, which is that it gets easier as you go.
Agreed. If you do the assault while you're on mag weapons or early plasma, and Archons and Andromedons are in the add pool, it can get out of control really fast. Lower level soldiers also just have fewer options (especially action economy management options) than higher level versions. I actually like to do them early for that reason (and also because I want those sweet, sweet weapons).

There's a lot of player knowledge involved as well. I remember my first assault being really chaotic and difficult, but now I know about how far down the final room I can move before the Chosen pops out, so I trigger them when I'm ready. I know that I can ignore other threatening aliens if I can KO the chosen before their actions, so I can make better choices about my soldiers' actions (instead of trying to focus down an Andromedon in a threatening position while the chosen has 8 life left.) Going in knowing what to expect is huge with this and the last two missions, because it can change your entire strategy.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

Agreed. If you do the assault while you're on mag weapons or early plasma, and Archons and Andromedons are in the add pool, it can get out of control really fast. Lower level soldiers also just have fewer options (especially action economy management options) than higher level versions. I actually like to do them early for that reason (and also because I want those sweet, sweet weapons).

There's a lot of player knowledge involved as well. I remember my first assault being really chaotic and difficult, but now I know about how far down the final room I can move before the Chosen pops out, so I trigger them when I'm ready. I know that I can ignore other threatening aliens if I can KO the chosen before their actions, so I can make better choices about my soldiers' actions (instead of trying to focus down an Andromedon in a threatening position while the chosen has 8 life left.) Going in knowing what to expect is huge with this and the last two missions, because it can change your entire strategy.

Yeah, I totally agree. The first time I did this, I had Mag weapons, and I prioritized killing the spawns over destroying the obelisk, so the Assassin got to fully respawn once. That made for a hectic fight.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Robert Deadford posted:

And you didn't need the button at all. It helps when your Templar can Rend for 22 damage and the enemy reinforcement wave is an Archon (ugh) and a...Chrysalid?

All the Chosen weapons are bananas. I love them all, except for the Warlock's and his is pretty good. Do you plan to share the love around, or will one soldier be gifted both?

Oh wow, in that case I really hope I live long enough to see the Hunter go down...

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Munin posted:

End game spoiler. One thing to note is that the Elders aren't doing it for shits and giggles. They are definitely feeling that their back is against the wall and that humans are stupid to prevent them from facing some sort of greater threat. Of course it is difficult to cooperate on that since, A. they never bothered being up front about this whole huge threat thing, and B, in part because of that they behaved and come across as total dicks.
I dunno if this is changed from vanilla XCOM2 but the Elders after the point of no return in the campaign go "yeah let's genocide all humans" which obviously puts to lie any real notion of benevolence.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Munin posted:

The elders' plan to deal with the pursuing evil from beyond the stars is to melt down most or all humans into green goo so that they can build new, vigorous bodies for themselves, and it's not even clear if this is a strategy to fight the big bad, or just a way of buying themselves more time at the expense of our entire species. So even if humanity was fully informed, you can see why we might want to take a chance on the evil we don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

The elders' plan to deal with the pursuing evil from beyond the stars is to melt down most or all humans into green goo so that they can build new, vigorous bodies for themselves, and it's not even clear if this is a strategy to fight the big bad, or just a way of buying themselves more time at the expense of our entire species. So even if humanity was fully informed, you can see why we might want to take a chance on the evil we don't know.

I really dislike endings that are blatantly setting up a sequel like this. Any news on XCom 3, or where they were planning on going with this?