Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Fall Dog posted:

Do you mind giving a thorough review of the UltraQ once you've got yourself familiar with it?

I don’t have anything to do low and slow this weekend but sure, I will wrote something up when I use it. From unboxing and setup it is a major evolution from the CyberQ.

Fireboard just announced their V2 product as well, so it’s good times to love bbq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't think I'm going to get any support from Louisiana Grill. Should I just hit it with some Rustoleum Grill Paint, or return the whole (very heavy) thing to Costco? It's not even 1 year old.

edit - I was on hold for 30 minutes. gently caress it, I'm just painting the outside and seasoning the inside like cast iron.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 23, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What temps did you hit on that drat thing? That is pretty poor paint.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That looks like a Costco return to me

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

What temps did you hit on that drat thing? That is pretty poor paint.

The dial goes up to 600. I think there's a reason why Traeger powdercoats theirs, and their dial only goes up to 500.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I decided to smoke a pork butt for Memorial Day, along with a bunch of other foods. I’m making pulled pork, smoked cole slaw, smoked potato salad with a shitload of smoked hard-boiled eggs (which are the best part imo), and some grilled corn on the cob with the husks off LIKE GOD INTENDED. I’d also like to do some smoked baked beans if I can find a good recipe; put ‘em under the pork while it smokes so the drippings will go in there, mmmmmm.

This will all require a shitload of cooking the day before. Which is tomorrow. And I haven’t even gone shopping for everything yet. :gonk:

I want to do some grilled garlic parmesan bread too, but that might be a little too much.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Corn on the cob is loving easy mode with a smoker. One hour at any indirect temp, in the husk, it’s done. If you want to spice your life up, hit it with some butter and lemon pepper before serving. Or butter and chili powder. If you wanna get super Mexican, mayo, cojita cheese and chili powder.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Smoked slaw sounds weird.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bob A Feet posted:

Corn on the cob is loving easy mode with a smoker. One hour at any indirect temp, in the husk, it’s done. If you want to spice your life up, hit it with some butter and lemon pepper before serving. Or butter and chili powder. If you wanna get super Mexican, mayo, cojita cheese and chili powder.

I’m not smoking the corn. I’m direct-grilling it with the husks off.

Stringent posted:

Smoked slaw sounds weird.

Steve Raichlen begs to differ.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Are you hard boiling eggs, shelling them, then putting in the smoker? Or smoking raw eggs? Would smoke penetrate the egg shell? What wood do you use?

Also has anybody here used mesquite to make something that doesn't taste like freshly tarred road?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tomfoolery posted:

Are you hard boiling eggs, shelling them, then putting in the smoker? Or smoking raw eggs? Would smoke penetrate the egg shell? What wood do you use?

I’m hard boiling the eggs, shelling them, cutting them in half, and then smoking them. Smoked hard boiled eggs are loving tasty.

You can use a lot of different woods, but the book I’m using specifically mentions hickory and apple. Any light or medium-ish wood will work. Oak and pecan are the first ones that come to my mind. Pretty much anything that’s not mesquite (way too heavy) or alder (might work, I’ve never smoked with alder so I can’t say from experience, but it’s normally used more for fish).

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks everyone for the thawing recommendations. Ended up putting it in a cooler of ice water and it thawed out today where I didn't have to worry about it being in the danger zone.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Thought I would through another recommendation for the Signals/Billows combo. I have had mine for awhile now and love it. Haven't convinced my wife to allow me a kamado yet, but on my Weber kettle with a slow'n'sear I am making some pretty great BBQ. Spare ribs today.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Tomfoolery posted:

Also has anybody here used mesquite to make something that doesn't taste like freshly tarred road?

Honestly, I don't like mesquite very much for that reason, really the only thing that can take it is beef, and there are a lot of things that taste much better. Hickory is just as strong, and better tasting imo, and you still would only use it on beef. I posted earlier about my love for cherry and pecan, they are my top 2. Oak is great, but only if you are firing the logs as your main heat source, just adding oak chunks to a charcoal fire doesn't do much for me.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Weird. While mesquite liquid smoke smells like asphalt, actual mesquite smoking never has for me. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

My woods, as I use them:
- Mesquite for beef
- Hickory, maple or hickory/mesquite for pork
- Pecan or cherry for fish

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 24, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SaltPig posted:

Thought I would through another recommendation for the Signals/Billows combo. I have had mine for awhile now and love it. Haven't convinced my wife to allow me a kamado yet, but on my Weber kettle with a slow'n'sear I am making some pretty great BBQ. Spare ribs today.

I fired up the billows with the Smoke X for the first time last night on a sacrificial chicken.

What temps have you set it at? Still trying to learn the smoker so that probably added to somewhat of the learning curve.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Put this on at midnight @225, after 10 hours it's sitting around 170 internal temp. Pan is now full of bacon and beans for the last 3 or so hours.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

We had a go at some beef brisket, beef short rib, and pork ribs. Turned out pretty good, even if I did spend my entire Sunday fussing over a smoker like it was a grumpy toddler. Totally worth it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Beef short ribs went into the smoker almost an hour ago. Trimmed and seasoned last night, then foiled and fridged overnight.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

CuriousSymptoms posted:

We had a go at some beef brisket, beef short rib, and pork ribs. Turned out pretty good, even if I did spend my entire Sunday fussing over a smoker like it was a grumpy toddler. Totally worth it.

Looks prefect! I'd devour that for sure.

Have 3x racks of ribs on the way right now. Think they have about an 1.5 hours longer now. Running some Jealous Devil lump. It's behaving as expected. Smoking these bad boys with a combo of apple wood & pecan.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Mesquite burns hot and fast so I like using it for birds and burgers. It's strong enough to get the flavor in and a short enough smoke so that it doesn't taste like creosote.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Mesquite burns hot and fast so I like using it for birds and burgers. It's strong enough to get the flavor in and a short enough smoke so that it doesn't taste like creosote.

I'm a big fan of some Mexican made mesquite lump charcoal. It burns hot, like you said.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

I fired up the billows with the Smoke X for the first time last night on a sacrificial chicken.

What temps have you set it at? Still trying to learn the smoker so that probably added to somewhat of the learning curve.

250-275 usually. Top vent on my kettle almost totally closed and bottom vent/ash scrapper closed completely. Drilled a hole in the right above and between to ash scrappers to attach the billows.

I am starting to see the limitations of smoking in a kettle, but for now the billows it forcing it to work.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Other than square inches what limitations are you running into? I have a Weber kettle with a slow n sear and I've turned out some amazing bbq for way less money than some other setups. I'm considering adding a billows to make it fool proof.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Operation smoked ribs accomplished a day early!

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Tomfoolery posted:

Fun fact - smoke will penetrate the shell. Last couple of times I did smoked eggs I just popped em raw in the smoker and let them sit there for a couple of hours.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

ada shatan posted:

Fun fact - smoke will penetrate the shell. Last couple of times I did smoked eggs I just popped em raw in the smoker and let them sit there for a couple of hours.

These smoked deviled eggs look stupid good.

https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-deviled-eggs/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Beef short ribs went into the smoker almost an hour ago. Trimmed and seasoned last night, then foiled and fridged overnight.

Had a lovely dinner tonight:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Tomfoolery posted:

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m hard boiling the eggs, shelling them, cutting them in half, and then smoking them. Smoked hard boiled eggs are loving tasty.

You can use a lot of different woods, but the book I’m using specifically mentions hickory and apple. Any light or medium-ish wood will work. Oak and pecan are the first ones that come to my mind. Pretty much anything that’s not mesquite (way too heavy) or alder (might work, I’ve never smoked with alder so I can’t say from experience, but it’s normally used more for fish).

There is a really nice butcher shop by my old house that smokes a lot of products in house and one of the things they make is smoked egg salad and it’s honestly life changing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just pulled the first brisket I've done in my new smoker. Half of it, anyways. Had to cut it so it would fit, got the bigger half still going for another couple hours probably but it's got more than enough smoke on it. Glad I got an electric smoker, so much more pleasant to cook without having to worry about fuel management. It even has a little pull-out wood chip loader so I never have to open the door.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have used my signals/billows about 5 times now.

Only 3 issues I have had with the app.
1. Initial wifi setup took more fiddling than expected
2. App wigged our during a cook and said device was being controlled by another BT device. (Force close and restart app fixed it)
3. Battery drain! Seems to really eat through my phone's battery well I am cooking. I did set the refresh interval lower than normal but the app does not really sleep and seems to suck about 20% my Galaxy S9 Battery during a cook. Ymmv

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ada shatan posted:

Is there an easy way to tell if they're done, or at least a rough estimate of time at different temperatures? Smoked egg salad sounds pretty great right about now

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I'm excited to make smoked eggs next time I'm back home and have access to a smoker. How long would they last if you smoke then refrigerate? As long as hard-boiled eggs I'd expect? Do you lose some of that evanescent flavor if you do that?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bob A Feet posted:

I’ll say the more tech I throw at smoking the more problems I’ve had. I’m a big fan of the just the maverick two probe analog wireless thermometer. Anything app based has been a nightmare (looking at you Weber).

I still use the factory thermometer, I think it's good enough. I could be tempted to swap it out if I could find an analog replacement that fits in the same place. But no digital battery driven anything for me if I can avoid it.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I did a pork butt again. First one came out dry, I didn't wrap or spritz but the bark was very nice looking.

This one came out with less bark, but still good bark. Inside was juicy as gently caress. I'm very happy. I cooked bout 8 hours at 250-260 then wrapped for about 2.5 hours when it hit around 170. Pulled it at 202, got impatient but I did let it rest for 25min.

One thing was the smoker was getting really hot, with all the vents closed it was sitting at 260-265 for a while before dropping to 250-255. Why is this? I thought with all vents closed it should drop drastically in temp and quickly.

What else should I smoke?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

5436 posted:

Frozen lasagna.

Nice looking butt.

Was hoping to do brisket (full packer today) but the weather looks like thunderstorms later so tomorrow it will be hopefully.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

5436 posted:

This one came out with less bark, but still good bark. Inside was juicy as gently caress. I'm very happy. I cooked bout 8 hours at 250-260 then wrapped for about 2.5 hours when it hit around 170. Pulled it at 202, got impatient but I did let it rest for 25min.

One thing was the smoker was getting really hot, with all the vents closed it was sitting at 260-265 for a while before dropping to 250-255. Why is this? I thought with all vents closed it should drop drastically in temp and quickly.

What smoker you have? Lot of latent heat in the coals.

As for what to smoke, about drat near anything that swims, walks or fly. Try a chicken. When cooked to proper temp you'll be amazed how juicy it can be. Next time you do a shoulder, throw some type of sausage such as brats on later in the cook for lunch. Casing texture will be different (little chewy) but still drat good. Wings are fairly darn easy too. Bird stuff you cook hotter due to skin.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Colostomy Bag posted:

What smoker you have? Lot of latent heat in the coals.

As for what to smoke, about drat near anything that swims, walks or fly. Try a chicken. When cooked to proper temp you'll be amazed how juicy it can be. Next time you do a shoulder, throw some type of sausage such as brats on later in the cook for lunch. Casing texture will be different (little chewy) but still drat good. Wings are fairly darn easy too. Bird stuff you cook hotter due to skin.

WSM 14.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Hello fellow protein denaturation practitioners. I forgot this thread was here and had some free time today so I thought I'd share the good news of our lord and savior: swine.

I'm rolling with a fairly generic Old Country offset that is well used but I try to take care of it so it doesn't rust all to hell.

Got the fire rolling; I start with a mix of normal charcoal and pecan chunks and then burn pecan for cooking. Though I hail originally from the land of post oak (central Texas), I think pecan burns better in these smaller offset fireboxes because it doesn't have to be quite as hot to combust cleanly. I also like the smell and flavor imparted to the meat (both swine and beef).

Today's meat is a roughly 8.5lb butt and I threw in a small pork steak for lunch since it will be done in about three hours.

Because of my Texas roots, I use salt, pepper, and a mix from Katy, TX called Grub Rub that is really great on pork. Adds a hit of sweetness and a nice color on the bark.

Bountiful seasoning application complete.

Now we go on the pit for indoctrination of smoke.

This post brought to you by: Innertube Lager from Burial Beer Company in Asheville, NC. It's beer flavored beer which is quite appropriate for the day.

Let's see what happens this afternoon. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Massive success on the butt and beans yesterday. Put the 9lb butt on at midnight @ 225, left it at 225 through the stall at 170, then turned it up to 275 for the last 3 hours and pulled at 202. No spritzing or wrapping this time, just rubbed and let it alone for 15 hours. Great bark and amazingly juicy but not mushy meat, hands down the best butt I've smoked thus far. Beans were amazing too, mixed in diced up fat from trimming the butt and some thick slice bacon along with diced up onion and jalapeno and let them smoke for 3 hours.