Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pakxos posted:

Glad it was helpful! Question for you, and for anyone else, when you use a painting handle, how do you keep your hands steady? With a model on a base I can put my elbows on a table, put my palms together have the mini in my palms and use one hand to paint. But with the handle I tend to have one hand on it and my other hand separate. Is it just that the trade off of making sure you aren't touching the model while painting enough to overcome the stability hit?

I'm new at this, and right-handed, but I rest my grip hand against the meaty part of my palm and leverage my middle finger on top of the grip handle middle finger while using index and thumb to hold brush akin to a pencil. (Or pinky sits on top of grip middle. That's actually more comfortable I think, but I've also got ogre hands.)

I find the pressure stabilizes trembling fingers for the most part, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Another good tip is to orient the model to paint solid lines where you're pulling the tip towards you, don't orient your hands to meet the model's angle (when possible)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Here's my attempt at a layered robe, and a few thin glazes over the whole model.

How's it look? I feel I did maybe one glaze layer too many or I didn't highlight well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would go for a darker shade in the deepest recesses

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
OK ill try going at the shadows again.

How do I shadow the robe trim? Is it inverted? Like dark on top, light on bottom?

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008
Question for those familiar with 40K schemes and Citadel paints. I've started painting some Tau Breachers in the Farsight Enclaves scheme, so black under parts and Khorne Red armor and weapon casing with dark gold and light grey as contrast colors on various parts. I am torn about whether to paint the eye and weapon lenses green, blue, or yellow. Looking at these recipes based on the paints I have:

1. Blue: Caledor Sky or Vallejo Blue Fluorescent -> Baharroth Blue -> White
2. Green: Warpstone Glow -> Moot Green -> Yriel Yellow -> White
3. Yellow: Tuskgor Fur or Vallejo Orange Brown -> Yriel Yellow -> Vallejo Ice Yellow -> White (this seems to be the one GW uses for Farsight Enclaves infantry)

Another consideration is that on the battlesuits I plan to use a blue glow on the weapons. The lenses would be the same or similar color with the blue or markedly different with green or yellow. I am not sure whether it is better to have another contrasting glow color or if it will be too busy.

Thoughts on which of the three would look best on models that are predominately black and dark blood red with some amount of dark gold and light grey?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I would go blue lenses with the red armor color

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Does anyone know of good fantasy miniatures of children adventurers? The only ones I've found are these from Hassle-free

I found some on Reaper but they looked bad

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wizkids puts out some prepaints if you like the look of those
https://wizkids.com/wardlings-w1/

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Phi230 posted:

Here's my attempt at a layered robe, and a few thin glazes over the whole model.

How's it look? I feel I did maybe one glaze layer too many or I didn't highlight well.

Another few highlights would be good, but you also need to remove the mold lines, because they're ruining a really solid paint job.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
What do you guys reccomend as a display shelf for all of my poorly painted minis? I have about a 20" deep by 70" wide by 7' tall wall space that I can use, but i'm not sure what route to go.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/detolf-glass-door-cabinet-black-brown-10119206/

You can even get lighting kits for them.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

That looks so nice, but I now wonder if my dogs would break it or knock it over...

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Any recommendations on the lighting?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the 40K thread:

JackMann posted:

Finished up my Catachan Colonel!

My FLGS gave me the model for supporting them while they were stuck with only doing curbside or mail-order sales, so they get a little plug in the background.

He's a really fun model to paint. I hope they do another release of the model eventually. He's just really cool in general.

I used some of the Vallejo fluorescent paints on the alien blood and the servoskull's eye. The picture doesn't quite do it justice; they look really good in real life.

Phi230 posted:

How do y'all feel about the Reaper learn to paint series?

I did the beginner box, and it was fine. Now I'm doing the Layer Up! box and they want you to do a base color and layer in the shadows and then the highlights? But isn't the way to layer you start dark and layer up?

There isn't really a set order. I personally start with a shadow color and go up, but I know a lot of other artists who start with their midtone and then go deep into the shadows and up to the highlights. There are a few reasons why this is a good method. One, it gives you a much better idea of how the colors are going to work together when you're done (since your shade/base/highlight should average out to your base), and for another, working this way teaches you both how to work up to a highlight and also how to darken down to the shadow.

I mostly start with shadows out of laziness; you need much less brush control if you don't have to get back into the recesses to darken things down.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Haven't been painting a lot recently but here's the Valerian I just finished:

I thought his armour was a bit flat so here's an Allarus Custodian with some tweaks:

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Count_Brass posted:

Haven't been painting a lot recently but here's the Valerian I just finished:

I thought his armour was a bit flat so here's an Allarus Custodian with some tweaks:

Both look amazing, but I love the sheen on the Allarus, what were your tweaks?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Does anyone know of good fantasy miniatures of children adventurers? The only ones I've found are these from Hassle-free

I found some on Reaper but they looked bad

Lead Adventure (the store not the forums, which I think spun-off a few years ago) has a couple in their Bruegelburg line:

https://lead-adventure.de/navi.php?k=3&Sortierung=0&af=90

E: They recentishly made an Arabian Nights offshoot of this line which is well-modeled but it goes all the way up to the "how comfortable I am with this representation of a non-European fantasy culture" line for me and YMMV.

E2: These are actually designed by Ratnik Miniatures but I think Lead Adventures has an exclusive license?

E3: They also do Astropolis which is Blanchitsu 40k civilians and Tolstings which are Russian Gentry Ratlings (meaning hobbits, not skaven).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 23, 2020

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of handling brushes and miniatures, what do you all think about specialized figurine holders for painting? There's a cheap one on kickstarter right now that I'm eyeing, but I don't know enough about painting to know if this kind of thing is a gimmick or not.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Speaking of handling brushes and miniatures, what do you all think about specialized figurine holders for painting? There's a cheap one on kickstarter right now that I'm eyeing, but I don't know enough about painting to know if this kind of thing is a gimmick or not.

I really like Citadel's holder: https://www.amazon.com/Games-Workshop-Warhammer-Citadel-Painting/dp/B077DMTJ2V

Its simple and adjustable. If I need to paint something that doesn't fit, I can blue tack it to a generic base that does fit.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got my remaining Reaver titan done!

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Pakxos posted:

Both look amazing, but I love the sheen on the Allarus, what were your tweaks?

Thanks!
I switched to a gloss black primer and a sienna ink rather than reikland flesh shade which finished too matte.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Schadenboner posted:

Lead Adventure (the store not the forums, which I think spun-off a few years ago) has a couple in their Bruegelburg line:

https://lead-adventure.de/navi.php?k=3&Sortierung=0&af=90

E: They recentishly made an Arabian Nights offshoot of this line which is well-modeled but it goes all the way up to the "how comfortable I am with this representation of a non-European fantasy culture" line for me and YMMV.

E2: These are actually designed by Ratnik Miniatures but I think Lead Adventures has an exclusive license?

E3: They also do Astropolis which is Blanchitsu 40k civilians and Tolstings which are Russian Gentry Ratlings (meaning hobbits, not skaven).

Hey these are neat! I'll check 'em out

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Does anyone have any good video tutorials for painting this kind of dark, carcinogenic smoke from rockets?

I've looked all over and couldn't find anything that's similar to this. I get the basic concept, but it would be nice to see someone just do it. I did however find one image tutorial, but the guy made the smoke parts more white, than the dark putrid black I've seen elsewhere.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Does anyone have any good video tutorials for painting this kind of dark, carcinogenic smoke from rockets?

I've looked all over and couldn't find anything that's similar to this. I get the basic concept, but it would be nice to see someone just do it. I did however find one image tutorial, but the guy made the smoke parts more white, than the dark putrid black I've seen elsewhere.

There is a video by Darren Latham, However, you have to have a good material, anything that is molded plastic or metals looks like poo poo imo. I've seen some people pull it off using customer materials. The texture of it is critical to it looking good.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

1st edition Malifaux Stolen are pretty good. https://www.amazon.com/Outcasts-Stolen-Malifaux-Wyrd-Miniatures/dp/B017A3H51G (they don't come with those bases)

https://www.amazon.com/Outcasts-Stolen-3-Pack-Malifaux/dp/B004VMH03S

If you're wanting more 'adventure' looking they have Crooligans and Iggy who are a like undead lost boys.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Working on some fantasy models for once. Painting ghosts is sure fun and fast!

The first two test models worked out rather well after a few minor tweaks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

Working on some fantasy models for once. Painting ghosts is sure fun and fast!

The first two test models worked out rather well after a few minor tweaks.

Those are sweet! I think I might have to put some ghosts on my list of things to paint. They look fun.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tried to bulk strip some bargain buys and some poorly primed models...

Went with denatured alcohol and had a rough go of it.

Let stuff soak for a couple hours. A few minis got rubbery so I dumped everything and washed them good, but I had tries some vigorous scrubbing at various points and some models had the paint lifted, some didn't budge.

I used klean strip denatured alcohol (U.S.) any one have a preferred go to?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
use Simple Green, it'll pull everything but the base spray coat off

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Purple Power and Dawn Power Dissolver also do a good job, though the latter is hard to come by nowadays.

Isopropyl Alcohol of at least 90% will apparently strip paint off without issue.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Doesn't alcohol also eat the plastic apart? I have some older mixed metal/plastic models I need to strip and I'm afraid to ruin them.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pakxos posted:

Glad it was helpful! Question for you, and for anyone else, when you use a painting handle, how do you keep your hands steady? With a model on a base I can put my elbows on a table, put my palms together have the mini in my palms and use one hand to paint. But with the handle I tend to have one hand on it and my other hand separate. Is it just that the trade off of making sure you aren't touching the model while painting enough to overcome the stability hit?

Due to a combination of testing out a phone setup for camera painting nights with a friend and having a video editor on my computer, have 6 minutes of me moving paint about (I left it at 100% speed but in youtube you can crank the speed up in the options if you like).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GYky5PAcEM

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

tangy yet delightful posted:

Due to a combination of testing out a phone setup for camera painting nights with a friend and having a video editor on my computer, have 6 minutes of me moving paint about (I left it at 100% speed but in youtube you can crank the speed up in the options if you like).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GYky5PAcEM

Awesome - that answered a lot of questions and made me feel dumb for how I'd been trying to use the handle. Appreciate the visual aid!

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

tangy yet delightful posted:

Pro tip: Watch it at 0.25 speed to get the most out of it.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Doesn't alcohol also eat the plastic apart? I have some older mixed metal/plastic models I need to strip and I'm afraid to ruin them.

I've left modern plastic models in 93 % alcohol for 24 hours without any issues

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Styrene (most plastic models) should be safe with ethanol, but Reaper Bones (PVC) can get soft. I don't know about resin.

High pH soapy products work better, LA's Totally Awesome is frequently recommended.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's an unscientific and dumb rule of thumb, but you're generally safe if your miniature and the solvent bottle / can are the same material.

That said, I don't strip a lot of resin.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Alcohol ruins resin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Alcohol ruins a lot of things.