Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Chinook posted:

I am! Does anyone know how to turn on smooth turning? Setting the snap turning to 1, 2, or 3 degrees seems to get close to what I want, but it's still too choppy since I don't think that's the way it's intended to be used.

There should be an option to turn it on in the VR options, that's how it was in the Quake ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Marxalot posted:

Most of the fhe "fun" lies in either exploration/people watching or just bullshitting with people you know while 3 random furries nobody knows silently erp in front of a mirror on the other side of the room. If someone is being annoying/creepy or you just don't want to see 3 weebs piled ontop of eachother you can (and basically have to) make frequent use of the "block voice/avatar/user" functionality.

VR chat always seemed like the nerd equivalent to bar hopping

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

dromer posted:

VR chat always seemed like the nerd equivalent to bar hopping

Shockingly apt. Especially since the most popular worlds are literal bars.

EbolaIvory posted:

Then you should have upload rights. The first upgrade or whatever is only 8ish hours now if you're actually social and add friends and stuff. Only grey names can't upload. I'm basically just the first up from "guest" or whatever.

poo poo, lol I thought the upload functionality came in when you got a green name.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You shoot up the ranks a lot faster with more friends, and by uploading avatars or worlds. It's not just total playtime.

I don't add that many randoms or have -that- much playtime so that sounds about right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marxalot posted:

poo poo, lol I thought the upload functionality came in when you got a green name.

Unless they changed it since I got it, you should get an in-game notification that'll tell you "You can now upload avatars and worlds" in your menu.

The other way to tell is to go to the VRChat SDK in Unity, as it'll tell you if you have upload permissions.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Welp, looks like I picked a bad time to look at VR. Was going to pull the trigger on a Rift S but it (and every other VR set) is sold out everywhere except for price gouging on Amazon.

In retrospect I shouldn't be surprised. I guess this gives me more time to debate the options (and also do some desperately needed cleaning before I end up breaking something)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

jubjub64 posted:

Watched a vrchat video yesterday where a guy turned into a giant anime girl in a bikini and went around picking up other players and putting them between her boobs. Like there was a seat programmed into her cleavavge....so there's that to do....

There is a world I went into that was just 2 gigantic, half naked anime babes floating in the void with invisible flooring.

Eventually you would get onto an invisible ramp.

Welcome to the future.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chinook posted:

I am! Does anyone know how to turn on smooth turning? Setting the snap turning to 1, 2, or 3 degrees seems to get close to what I want, but it's still too choppy since I don't think that's the way it's intended to be used.

Is there a option in the VR options menu? (I'm also not seeing it lol)

edit:

Beyond that issue, it's an impressive port:
-Height adjustment? check
-Weapon scale adjustment? check
-Weapon pitch adjustment? check
-Teleporting/smooth locomotion, right/left hand for movement options? check
-Move and sprint speed adjustment? check
-Laser sight option? check
-Access to all (and they are many) the normal GZDoom options, in addition to the custom VR options? check
-Custom cheat menu, invaluable to do a 'idfa' or 'idclip' without keyboard? check. Also custom switch level menu, and more.

The real problem is the performance, once you play something a bit more complex than Vainilla Doom with 3d weapons and high res textures, it drops too many frames. The base (GZDoom) isn't performant enough, and I guess the Android port also could be better optimized.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 22, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's a first impression, but Thumper seems easier in VR? I'm playing in Quest, maybe they lowered the difficulty for this version. Not that I mind, I'm super bad at this kind of thing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think it's mostly from the low latency and lack of distractions.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lack of distractions is probably part of it, having nothing to knock off your rhythm and focus is what I'm crediting with me cranking out higher line counts in Tetris Effect than I've managed in years.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Is Gun Club VR worth getting, or is it a case of being so inferior to Hot Dogs and Hand Grenades that the only reason to get it is if you think you'll never have access to PCVR?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The latter.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

njsykora posted:

There should be an option to turn it on in the VR options, that's how it was in the Quake ports.

Someone suggested putting the snap turning angle to 10 degrees, which makes it work like smooth turning should (apparently, I haven't tried it yet).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Spaceteam game is already out on the Oculus store, it's crossbuy. Anyone have played it?

Speaking of, the Oculus store has a sale going on since yesterday, but as always it's kind of underwhelming. In the Rift store, a few games with stronger discounts are Skyworld, Thumpber, SuperHot, Arizona Sunshine, Sprint Vector, Raw Data and Dance Collider.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

The Spaceteam game is already out on the Oculus store, it's crossbuy. Anyone have played it?

i've played a bit of spaceteam, and really enjoyed it. hoping to get some people to play spaceteam vr with, won't buy it before that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i still havent gone back to doom 3 vr 2 years later because I know im almost at the past where all the terrifing skull spider things start appearing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My 4 year old gives Cinderella VR a 10/10.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 22, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Inacio posted:

i've played a bit of spaceteam, and really enjoyed it. hoping to get some people to play spaceteam vr with, won't buy it before that.
The VR version is compatible with the mobile version. Though the mobile version is not really compatible with like, the world right now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

People are all like, ugh, I hate Facebook putting their social crap on their VR devices.

And I am like come one Facebook, please put a whatsapp notification system on the Quest, I hate hearing the notification sound and having to remove it from my head to reply.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TadBradley posted:

Does anybody still play Rec Room? I was initially put off by it's wonky interface, but months later I'm really digging it. Paintball and co-op shooting quests are a ton of fun, but I'm kinda overwhelmed with the sheer depth and breadth of what you can do with the creative tools. I've just been trying to build a cool room, and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of what you could do with it. Have any goons done anything cool or creative with it?

Yeah, I do, I still love it. Paintball and Rec Royale are my go-to's. I don't mess much with the creative stuff because I'm an uncreative nerd.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bringing over from the free games thread, because apparently we're now at the point where VR games are starting to go free.

Cojawfee posted:

If you have VR, interkosmos is free until May 25.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/579110/Interkosmos/

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

njsykora posted:

Bringing over from the free games thread, because apparently we're now at the point where VR games are starting to go free.

Those visuals are really scratching my russian cockpit itch. :swoon:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rectus posted:

russian cockpit itch

Might want to get that looked at

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TadBradley posted:

Does anybody still play Rec Room? I was initially put off by it's wonky interface, but months later I'm really digging it. Paintball and co-op shooting quests are a ton of fun, but I'm kinda overwhelmed with the sheer depth and breadth of what you can do with the creative tools. I've just been trying to build a cool room, and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of what you could do with it. Have any goons done anything cool or creative with it?

I tried it again a month or so ago. The 4-player shooter quests are a great idea but it suuuucks to jump into a lobby and have 3 people who've done it a million times just zoom through the level while you die over and over again. And it doesn't scale down with fewer people so my single VR friend and I were totally overwhelmed trying to do it ourselves.

I really like Paintball with the team-fortress-esque weapon upgrades, to the point that it feels like it would be more fun as a separate thing. But I haven't got much into the creative tools.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Leal posted:

There is a world I went into that was just 2 gigantic, half naked anime babes floating in the void with invisible flooring.

Eventually you would get onto an invisible ramp.

Welcome to the future.

That is horrifying. I went to the drinking night world with someone brand new to vr in the "wait I can turn off a thing and run with my thumbstick?" way and someone tried to recruit us into a vrchat based Canadian military rp group.

Awkward, but relatively wholesome aside from the guy 20ft behind us at the mirror with his legs sprawled open staring at his anime waifu crotch.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Main Paineframe posted:

Is Gun Club VR worth getting, or is it a case of being so inferior to Hot Dogs and Hand Grenades that the only reason to get it is if you think you'll never have access to PCVR?

I have both, and Gun Club isn't awful. The guns feel pretty close to H3VR's, and the game aspects are more front-and-center. That said, the variety of guns is far inferior, and there is (or was, last I played it) some really jarring things like all pistols using the same ammunition model (if you don't get why this is an issue, imagine a AAA battery going into a AA slot - that's what using a Desert Eagle in Gun Club looked like). H3VR also has more games available, where Gun Club is nothing except "clear all these targets in a set time" runs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marxalot posted:

That is horrifying. I went to the drinking night world with someone brand new to vr in the "wait I can turn off a thing and run with my thumbstick?" way and someone tried to recruit us into a vrchat based Canadian military rp group.

Awkward, but relatively wholesome aside from the guy 20ft behind us at the mirror with his legs sprawled open staring at his anime waifu crotch.

The better destination for a good blend of conversation and entertaining weirdness is The Great Pug, as it's a nice chill pub rather than Drinking Night's much more energetic nightclub. The Black Cat's alright too, but it just doesn't gel into the same magical combination of strange that can occur in a good night at an instance of The Pug. If you're going to places like Drinking Night, you're pretty much gonna encounter what you'd expect to see in a night club with no bouncer on-hand.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Images of the new HP headset (a Valve/Microsoft crossover project) leaked

https://twitter.com/h0x0d/status/1264219723987742721

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SCheeseman posted:

Images of the new HP headset (a Valve/Microsoft crossover project) leaked

https://twitter.com/h0x0d/status/1264219723987742721

Less lovely controller layout, extra cameras to catch the controllers down at your sides better, the "good" Index audio, and if it's HP it probably has the Reverb's 2160 x 2160 per eye, but there's a slider for physical IPD this time. Not too shabby? If it has bigass IPD by some chance it would be a slam dunk.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

Less lovely controller layout, extra cameras to catch the controllers down at your sides better, the "good" Index audio, and if it's HP it probably has the Reverb's 2160 x 2160 per eye, but there's a slider for physical IPD this time. Not too shabby? If it has bigass IPD by some chance it would be a slam dunk.

I think the quality of the tracking and the price are going to be big deciding factors. If they manage to equal the controller tracking of the Rift S and price it at the same $600 as the original Reverb it could be a really compelling option.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

WMR HMD tracking has always been pretty decent and controller tracking was OK while in view of the camera frustum, adding a couple more cameras is a no brainer and should improve things considerably. Doesn't seem to be one up top though, so it may still have greater dead spots compared to the competition.

I'm interested in whether or not the HMD has lighthouse tracking sensors on it for compatibility with the SteamVR ecosystem, at which point you could get a couple of base stations and Knuckles and have no-compromise tracking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

WMR HMD tracking has always been pretty decent and controller tracking was OK while in view of the camera frustum, adding a couple more cameras is a no brainer and should improve things considerably. Doesn't seem to be one up top though, so it may still have greater dead spots compared to the competition.

I'm interested in whether or not the HMD has lighthouse tracking sensors on it for compatibility with the SteamVR ecosystem, at which point you could get a couple of base stations and Knuckles and have no-compromise tracking.

I'm hoping for that too (it'd be an instant buy for me just for probable availability in Australia), but I don't think it is. If you looked carefully on the Index you could faintly see the lighthouse sensors, and that doesn't seem to be the case here. Also I wouldn't discount there being a fifth camera up top considering there isn't a photo of it at that angle :v:.

If nothing else, I bet it's gonna frustrate the hell out of HTC, because I'd wager that thing'll be cheaper than the Cosmos with better tracking. And it'll be funny as hell if it has lighthouse tracking on top of that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They'd only need a very small amount of sensors on the HMD for Lighthouse, like 3 or so at the center of the HMD or something. Enough to get a lock every now and then to keep tracking universes in sync, since the HMD can track itself.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Marxalot posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

How many crabs were there? This is important
Absolutely none. It was kind of awe inspiring.

Check out my La Theine world :ssh:

I just ported in Windurst Walls, and it works with Quest! I also re-ported in Lower Jeuno so it's now compatible with Quest as well. Going to work on getting the rest of my worlds imported as well (San d'Oria, La Theine, and Whitegate, the rest of the FFXI worlds were imported by others)

Kazy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 24, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

They'd only need a very small amount of sensors on the HMD for Lighthouse, like 3 or so at the center of the HMD or something. Enough to get a lock every now and then to keep tracking universes in sync, since the HMD can track itself.

I'd expect to see a full set of 10-20 sensors, because one of the use cases for that would surely be a full Lighthouse setup with Index controllers rather than trying to mishmash with the WMR tracking.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A hybrid approach is more cost effective and it's not like it'd be particularly technologically prohibitive, there's free tools that trivially sync tracking universes already.

e: also

No camera on top

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 24, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SCheeseman posted:

A hybrid approach is more cost effective and it's not like it'd be particularly technologically prohibitive, there's free tools that trivially sync tracking universes already.

No camera on top

Headset does not detect WMR controllers being powered up, It only fires up the LH tracking sensors and is just a steamVR headset looking for lighthouse stuff. EZclap.

Have that one for free HP. Enjoy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

No camera on top

Oh duh, brainfarted and was thinking only of the leaked shots.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Good for HP, I was thinking all the wmr companies were gone and finished messing with vr. Glad they're still working on stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Kazy posted:

Check out my La Theine world :ssh:

I just ported in Windurst Walls, and it works with Quest! I also re-ported in Lower Jeuno so it's now compatible with Quest as well. Going to work on getting the rest of my worlds imported as well (San d'Oria, La Theine, and Whitegate, the rest of the FFXI worlds were imported by others)

Seeing your Windurst Walls hit either the New or Community Labs tab is what got me to start looking at the other FFXI worlds. The mithra av from it works surprisingly well in full body considering what it is.

Also I really didn't expect the creator to pop up on the forums lmao

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The better destination for a good blend of conversation and entertaining weirdness is The Great Pug, as it's a nice chill pub rather than Drinking Night's much more energetic nightclub. The Black Cat's alright too, but it just doesn't gel into the same magical combination of strange that can occur in a good night at an instance of The Pug. If you're going to places like Drinking Night, you're pretty much gonna encounter what you'd expect to see in a night club with no bouncer on-hand.

Yeah that sort of makes sense and kind of flows with what I've noticed so far. I think the black cat was one of the first worlds I ever went to with a friend of mine and we were berated by an irl construction worker who I can only describe as The Most Boston Man who was drunkenly trying to explain to us that the reason most of the US doesn't have unions is because mexicans.
He then went on to try to hit on some girl at the bar who he already forgot he just struck out with not 15 minutes before and got dunked on for being a weird, loud, Boston simp.

Much better/funnier than drinking night.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 24, 2020