Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

AlternateNu posted:

I'm not surprised they did this (because Square), but it kind of blows that there's one weapon (Aerith's) that you have to use Steal on a boss to get.

I also missed the EKG Cannon twice because you have to talk to Hart within the 2 minutes between finishing the chat with the Mayor and finding the mole which loving seriously?

A weapon could also be stolen from that enemy in the OG way before you could buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

AlternateNu posted:

I'm not surprised they did this (because Square), but it kind of blows that there's one weapon (Aerith's) that you have to use Steal on a boss to get.

In the original FF7, you stole Aerith's Striking Staff from the Eligor in the Train Graveyard, which at the time was a rare enemy, not a boss. It's the best weapon you can get for Aerith before Junon. When I encountered the Eligor in 7R, the first thing I did was Steal from it and laughed when I saw that he still had it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Takoluka posted:

In the original FF7, you stole Aerith's Striking Staff from the Eligor in the Train Graveyard, which at the time was a rare enemy, not a boss. It's the best weapon you can get for Aerith before Junon. When I encountered the Eligor in 7R, the first thing I did was Steal from it and laughed when I saw that he still had it.

Arkage posted:

A weapon could also be stolen from that enemy in the OG way before you could buy it.

>_>

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

I also missed the EKG Cannon twice because you have to talk to Hart within the 2 minutes between finishing the chat with the Mayor and finding the mole which loving seriously?

I missed the EKG cannon because I figured I'd have to be an idiot to pay this guy for something so trivial. I assumed he'd actually just give you a hint about the mole, thus saving you from talking to about 3 people.

I also missed the the weapon Tifa gets during monkey bars, and it was really annoying because after I completed that I noticed it up there in its purple box, but once the party reassembles she refuses to climb anymore.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

He's literally the first person you see after being sent to find the mole... :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Qrr posted:

I missed the EKG cannon because I figured I'd have to be an idiot to pay this guy for something so trivial. I assumed he'd actually just give you a hint about the mole, thus saving you from talking to about 3 people.

I also missed the the weapon Tifa gets during monkey bars, and it was really annoying because after I completed that I noticed it up there in its purple box, but once the party reassembles she refuses to climb anymore.

Oh gently caress I just finished the game and missed both of these.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh gently caress I just finished the game and missed both of these.

You can use Chapter Select to go back to Chapter 16, get them both, and exit out. Not particularly long or hard to get those two from the start of the chapter.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

Zebulon posted:

You can use Chapter Select to go back to Chapter 16, get them both, and exit out. Not particularly long or hard to get those two from the start of the chapter.

Oh, so you don't need to complete the whole chapter to "lock in" things?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

gredgie posted:

Oh, so you don't need to complete the whole chapter to "lock in" things?

Not for collected items and gear, no. You do need to complete a chapter to lock in dialogue choices and quest completion status.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Agents are GO! posted:

He's literally the first person you see after being sent to find the mole... :shrug:

Except when I exited the office, I missed the triangle on him and just went straight to my map pointing me to the next floor. >_>

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's on you for neglecting the biggest piece of advice in the Original Final Fantasy Nintendo Power strategy guide: TALK TO EVERYONE.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How are you supposed to get your moneys worth if you aren't pressing interact on every interactable entity?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Agents are GO! posted:

That's on you for neglecting the biggest piece of advice in the Original Final Fantasy Nintendo Power strategy guide: TALK TO EVERYONE TWICE.

ftfy

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Welcome to Corneria

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like swords.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I like swords.

me too

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Swords are very good.

They are even better when they are also another thing like a gun or a key.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Or an axe

Or a shield that's also an axe

Or a cigarette lighter

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Though my personal favorite is when it's a stick tbh

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Caidin posted:

Swords are very good.

They are even better when they are also another thing like a gun or a key.

Or maybe it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in someone, it unlocks their death!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

FYI - there's fan translation of Nojima's pre-FF7R Aerith novella - if you're interested, you can read it here.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Welcome to Corneria

Waffleman_ posted:

I like swords.

How do you pronounce that?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Flopsy posted:

So it's a lot of this guy is a ghoul and clearly has a fetish for loving around with monsters but gaddamn did Sephiroth gently caress Wutai UP! WELP better give him a big ol' lab and a budget and hope he strikes gold again. Out of curiosity what do you think their plan was if he uh--went a step too far? Like, for example the plot of FF7? Rufus and co. figure out Sephiroth ain't dead and has become some sort of monstrosity pretty quickly. You'd think they would bring that up with him instead of letting him off the hook to be awful on a beach.

Again part of why I liked the remake a lot was the context of “actually if a city size corporation did some terrible poo poo they’d deal with it similarly”

Shinra tower was such a good approximation of what an oil/tech/monsanto type company would be like if they ran a small country

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
The Jerkoff Museum and the VR presentation are so pitch perfect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Ugh, do I have to do this? Whatever, I run R&D, we do poo poo you're too stupid to understand, there, I'm leaving."

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Waffleman_ posted:

"Ugh, do I have to do this? Whatever, I run R&D, we do poo poo you're too stupid to understand, there, I'm leaving."

I demand DLC of Heidegger and Scarlet's presentations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/1264902893905182721

Google translation posted:

The download version of "FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Original Soundtrack" will also be available from May 27 on various distribution services!

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I wonder if those of us that bought the physical version will automatically get a digital version too (haha no).

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Again part of why I liked the remake a lot was the context of “actually if a city size corporation did some terrible poo poo they’d deal with it similarly”

Shinra tower was such a good approximation of what an oil/tech/monsanto type company would be like if they ran a small country

You being entirely right exhausts me if only because years after the fact I realized Captain Planet wasn't exaggerating.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
East India Company and Congo Free State are two examples of actual companies running countries and indeed in both cases they are a litany of rampant, unchecked abuse and gross violations of human rights.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

East India Company and Congo Free State are two examples of actual companies running countries and indeed in both cases they are a litany of rampant, unchecked abuse and gross violations of human rights.

Because by their very nature companies are inherently sociopathic. It's baked into their structure.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Capitalism was a mistake

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Abzu 1 on Hard really doesn't give you a moment to breathe huh

If only I could get everybody into a Ward long enough to broadside him with six Firagas it would probably be an instant win button but instead I'm frantically running around as Tifa dodging his nonstop litany of aoe 4000+ damage moves and praying that the ai party members do likewise.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

Abzu 1 on Hard really doesn't give you a moment to breathe huh

If only I could get everybody into a Ward long enough to broadside him with six Firagas it would probably be an instant win button but instead I'm frantically running around as Tifa dodging his nonstop litany of aoe 4000+ damage moves and praying that the ai party members do likewise.

I just got done reading that "WH40K Primarchs as dril" tweet thread and I couldn't help but read your post as dril.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
It literally just hit me why Tifa and Aerith hit it off so fast and I'm blown away.

It isn't Aerith's first meeting. Assuming she has some degree of foreknowledge, for her it's just like "oh hi, bestie!" Meanwhile Tifa's politely confused but goes with it.

Even characters who don't explicitly get the foreknowledge Aerith does seem to have some sort of subconscious awareness of their fate. Cloud gets flash-forwards, Wedge seems to know his time is up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jetrauben posted:

It literally just hit me why Tifa and Aerith hit it off so fast and I'm blown away.

It isn't Aerith's first meeting. Assuming she has some degree of foreknowledge, for her it's just like "oh hi, bestie!" Meanwhile Tifa's politely confused but goes with it.

Even characters who don't explicitly get the foreknowledge Aerith does seem to have some sort of subconscious awareness of their fate. Cloud gets flash-forwards, Wedge seems to know his time is up.

I'm still pretty confident that Cloud's flash-forwards are because of his Jenova-link to Sephiroth, who obviously has future knowledge. I don't think anyone outside of Cloud, Aerith, and Sephiroth is getting future info.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm still pretty confident that Cloud's flash-forwards are because of his Jenova-link to Sephiroth, who obviously has future knowledge. I don't think anyone outside of Cloud, Aerith, and Sephiroth is getting future info.

I mean, possible. Wedge says he has a "feeling" that he's due for a reckoning, and it kind of makes sense if they're all seen as emanations of the Planet that they have a gut feeling of its intent.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just rewatched Advent Children on a lark after a decade, and man. It is Not a Good Movie. Like, way worse than I remember. Even the movie's mix of One-Winged Angel is kind of poo poo. It is hilarious how much they hosed with Barrett. He's basically comic relief the few scenes he's in and is completely ineffectual in the fights. Even Cid does more during the fights than he does. (And I never caught it the first time that they decided to make him an oil baron. Wtf? :psyduck: ) The only halfway decent idea out of that whole project was Cloud's modular sword(s). That was pretty sweet.

It was interesting to see which character designs and set pieces they decided to keep for FF7R, though.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 26, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I just rewatched Advent Children on a lark after a decade, and man. It is Not a Good Movie. Like, way worse than I remember. Even the movie's mix of One-Winged Angel is kind of poo poo. It is hilarious how much they hosed with Barrett. He's basically comic relief the few scenes he's in and is completely ineffectual in the fights. Even Cid does more during the fights than he does. (And I never caught it the first time that they decided to make him an oil baron. Wtf? :psyduck: ) The only halfway decent idea out of that whole project was Cloud's modular sword(s). That was pretty sweet.

It was interesting to see which character designs and set pieces they decided to keep for FF7R, though.

I mean the major issue with Barret is that his character arc is so incredibly over and done with and part of that arc was him eventually letting go of the anger that made him want to lash out. Him replacing his gun with a functioning arm is a big step towards that (even if the movie kinda backtracks on that) and logically he shouldn't be the most effective combat person anyone because a big part of his story is getting past being the guy who literally grafted a gun to his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Was AC or KH the bigger catalyst for Cloud becoming more known as a mopey emo bastard?