Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/TokyoMTG/status/1264403811684114432

How the heck did Yukie Tajima ship out those alt arts for WAR when her black and white sketches of Nahiri and Sorin are way better

The style guide probably, Planeswalker art has always been full body shots rather than portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

The Clowner posted:

I dunno I think the modern day magic lore is kind of neat from a distance.

The flavor text on the cards is pretty cool, as well as how they interweave as a set (I especially liked WAR).
You'd have to pay me to read a separate MTG book though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Iconic was a good set with good reprints, it just wasn't "Iconic" in any sense of the word.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Katana Gomai posted:

Iconic was a good set with good reprints, it just wasn't "Iconic" in any sense of the word.

wait so you don't think of the dragon's maze hydra as "iconic"? Shame on you

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Katana Gomai posted:

Iconic masters, the set of iconic cards that has rift but not lightning bolt.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Reached Mythic for the first time. Is 95% high or low?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

Reached Mythic for the first time. Is 95% high or low?

Low for mythic, if you're not an actual number its on the low end since its percentile based. So you're "only" top 5%.

Kild fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 24, 2020

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kild posted:

Low for mythic, if you're not an actual number its on the low end since its percentile based. So you're "only" top 5%.

Well, at least I'm not bottom 5%

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does anyone have a link to that yorion red deck tweet? The one where the guy sided down to 66 for G2/G3? My friend doesn't think it works within the rules.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cactrot posted:

The style guide probably, Planeswalker art has always been full body shots rather than portraits.

As always, this is the stupidest reason, so almost certainly correct

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ilmucche posted:

Does anyone have a link to that yorion red deck tweet? The one where the guy sided down to 66 for G2/G3? My friend doesn't think it works within the rules.

Explain to him that he had no sideboard at all (except for Yorion) and then if he still doesn't get it, tell him to get bent.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I can understand how someone would think sideboarding required you to swap a card with another card and not, as in this case, swapping a card with a notional sideboard slot that contains no card. It is quite weird and abstract like so many rules in this game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Glimpse is always my go-to example of how effective IMA was as a reprint set, and I say that as someone who bought Glimpses at $35 apiece.

That said there's a much cooler timeline where IMA and A25 are combined into one mega-set and Wizards prints an absolute gently caress load of it.

Imagine if they had printed enough copies of a card anyone actually wanted!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ilmucche posted:

check my post history its maybe a few pages back.

Redmark posted:

The flavor text on the cards is pretty cool, as well as how they interweave as a set (I especially liked WAR).
You'd have to pay me to read a separate MTG book though.

Lorwyn was the first Magic set I played as an adult, and i was head over heels for the flavor. Ashling and Brion and Gaddock Teeg! What amazing characters. Of course I bought the books, thinking they would flesh out the awesome characters on my cards...

The Lorwyn books are such unbelievable dogshit trash, every character basically behaves differently than their cards would suggest, and the greatest mysteries of the block are never explained or even really revealed. That was my first/last time digging inro "modern" lore.

But the Brothers War and the Urza's Saga/Weatherlight are some of the best fantasy literature out there and honestly goes toe to toe with any other big fantasy proerty of the 90's. Yawgmoth owns, Mishra is cool, planeswalker mech suits are dope, Phyrexia is like extremely mega-cool, etc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Imagine if they had printed enough copies of a card anyone actually wanted!

Hey I bought those $35 Glimpses off of you mack, surely that's not worth complaining about.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kild posted:

That’s not what the % means at all.

You have a hidden MMR, and the % you are shown is what your MMR is relative to the person at rank 1200. So in 1200 has an MMR of 100 and you have an MMR of 95, the game will show 95%.

The actual “bottom” of mythic is probably around 70%, at least I’ve never seen anyone lower.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

vegetables posted:

I can understand how someone would think sideboarding required you to swap a card with another card and not, as in this case, swapping a card with a notional sideboard slot that contains no card. It is quite weird and abstract like so many rules in this game.
The rules are that 1) you can't have fewer than 60 cards in your maindeck and 2) you can't have more than 15 cards in your sideboard. As long as you continue to fulfil both of those requirements you can sideboard how you like.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Katana Gomai posted:

Explain to him that he had no sideboard at all (except for Yorion) and then if he still doesn't get it, tell him to get bent.

I did, apparently the rules have changed since they last looked at them? Bit weird since they're a judge but what evs. They follow it now but still think it's a risky deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ilmucche posted:

I did, apparently the rules have changed since they last looked at them? Bit weird since they're a judge but what evs. They follow it now but still think it's a risky deck.

lmao it's not risky it's just straight up bad

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Bit weird since they're a judge but what evs. They follow it now but still think it's a risky deck.

lol that absolutely registers with my view of judges in general, especially the part where they begrudgingly accept that they failed to keep up with rules changes but still believe that it "feels wrong". I've had to explain the rules to judges at GPs before and I had friends get hosed by faulty rulings at high stakes events as well*. Everyone gets to make mistakes sometimes but it seems weird when they don't bother staying up to date. I don't want to poo poo on judges too much though, they are getting hosed by WotC enough as it is.

*The most recent example I can remember was at a GP in 2019: my friend wanted to enter combat, then crew a vehicle during beginning of combat, then attack. He goes "combat?" and his opponent stops him from crewing, claiming that he is already in declare attackers now. Saying "combat?" used to be shortcut for "go to declare attackers" (which makes absolutely zero sense, but I digress) but they changed it somewhere during Kaladesh standard, specifically to avoid people losing the option to crew their vehicle because of a misapplied shortcut. The judge ruled against my friend and the missed damage ended up costing him the match as well as taking him out of day 2 contention. It was his first GP and I told him beforehand to appeal literally every ruling made against him but suffice it to say that this was enough to turn him off "high stakes" MTG for good. In the judge's defense, he came to my friend's table during the next game and meekly apologized for his mistake after having talked to another judge but of course that didn't help with the ruling.

Bust Rodd posted:

lmao it's not risky it's just straight up bad

I think he means from a rules perspective, which it absolutely isn't.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A really great example of why judges got owned and paper OP is on the chopping block. Arena is almost never wrong.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/TokyoMTG/status/1264403811684114432

How the heck did Yukie Tajima ship out those alt arts for WAR when her black and white sketches of Nahiri and Sorin are way better

I was looking through her Twitter and she did Card Fight Vanguard :)

Oh man and there's a mobile app for that game, time for Oracle Think Tank.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

vegetables posted:

that's what the rules used to be, they changed partially to stop having to give game losses to people that accidentally over-sideboarded 61/14 etc

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bust Rodd posted:

The Lorwyn books are such unbelievable dogshit trash
I used to read the novels because they were like $4 a piece and a good way to pass the time on long car rides. Lorwyn was the first one I couldn't finish, it was so loving bad. Just huge swaths of page filler and as you said, no one really acts or reacts the way you'd expect them to for their colors, their alleged personalities, or really in any way that makes sense.

The Ravnica series is pretty solid because Agrus Kos is the best character on the plane. The story is him being increasingly poo poo of everyone's poo poo while yelling "I was supposed to retire yesterday!!" It's easily my favorite after The Brothers War and the Invasion series.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yawgmoth owns
:3:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the Onslaught block books, particularly Scourge, are to me the apex of magic lore. Everyone is a huge weirdo, two critical POV characters from the book appear absolutely nowhere in the set, the plot is driven by weird inexplicable phenomena that everyone just rolls with. It captures the feeling of living in a post apocalyptic magical domain where some rear end in a top hat Uberwizard can ruin your life at any moment without even noticing.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the Onslaught block books, particularly Scourge, are to me the apex of magic lore. Everyone is a huge weirdo, two critical POV characters from the book appear absolutely nowhere in the set, the plot is driven by weird inexplicable phenomena that everyone just rolls with. It captures the feeling of living in a post apocalyptic magical domain where some rear end in a top hat Uberwizard can ruin your life at any moment without even noticing.
Zagorka card when WotC

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've consumed enough tie-in media of gaming properties as a kid (halo, yugioh, Pokemon, mass effect) that I've learned to distance myself from it entirely and just let my imagination fill in the blanks. I liked skimming through the synopsis of Theros that wotc released but that's as deep as I'm willing to go with mtg

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I only read Jack Reacher books and the Bosch series.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

The short period where they let people like Allison Luhrs write the lore as short story content on the website was the peak of MTG reading. The Ixalan story was actually really great.

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 24, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'll read short stories on the website or watch recap videos. I just hope we have another 2-3 years of freedom from Liliana stories where she's hoping Jace senpai will notice her.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'll read short stories on the website or watch recap videos. I just hope we have another 2-3 years of freedom from Liliana stories where she's hoping Jace senpai will notice her.

i hope teferi steals her affections from jace, like he steals fun from games of magic.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Is the ixalan story the one where jace gets amnesia and slowly realizes how much he loving sucks?

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 24, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s almost the plot of Peter from Heroes S2 with the Amnesia and the super powers

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah it’s almost the plot of Peter from Heroes S2 with the Amnesia and the super powers

Jace = Peter, Nicol Bolas = Sylar, Chandra = Cheerleader, Teferi = ... Hiro?

E: Niki Sanders is Vraska

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 24, 2020

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Some m21 leaks from Reddit. These are all ones I have see with some slight differences (I had Accumulated Knowledge as a reprint but this variant makes more sense).

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/gpk43h/m21_rumors/

quote:

Companion Errata - Do XYZ and you can pay (3) to put this into your hand from your Sideboard. Do this only as a Sorcery.

1U

Instant

Draw a card. Then draw another card for each copy of ~ in your GY.

1B

Instant

Destroy target creature or planeswalker with CMC 3 or less.

3W

Lifelink

Whenever 2 or more creatures attack you or a planeswalker you control, you may draw a card.

Whenever an opponent casts a second spell each turn, you may draw a card.

2/4

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

That errata seems to really only screw over the cheap or aggro based companions in standard rather than deal with yorion.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I really like that take on white card draw so I’ll be sad if it isn’t real :(

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

TheLawinator posted:

That errata seems to really only screw over the cheap or aggro based companions in standard rather than deal with yorion.

if it is really "put into your hand" rather than the companion zone or whatever, then it isnt immune to discard anymore. It still sucks and I hate it though because the underlying problems with the mechanic are still there. It might (might) (maybe) give aggro some breathing room to get in the last push if they have to find three extra mana on turn 3, 4, or 5.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it’s very funny that that errata specifically does almost nothing to Yorion, the companion most responsible for wrecking standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That white creature would be absolutely insane in Commander.