Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Looking forward to Congress solving the upcoming auto loan bubble bursting by making car loans stick through bankruptcy.

Don't give Biden any ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I recently started listening to the podcast “Swindled”. They have lots of BWM stories, but I thought of this group when I listened to this one called the “Horse Queen”. In the largest municipal fraud in American history, Rita Crundwell embezzled over $50 million from the city of Dixon, Illinois, to support her extravagant lifestyle and expensive hobby, breeding and showing Quarter Horses.

http://swindledpodcast.com/podcasts/season-1/episode-02-the-horse-queen/

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The Onion with some anti-BWM I found while trying to find a different article
Man Wakes Up From Bender With Financial Problems Solved

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

SpelledBackwards posted:

The Onion with some anti-BWM I found while trying to find a different article
Man Wakes Up From Bender With Financial Problems Solved

Enjoying that the ad I got in the middle of this article was a guy saying he'd teach me his foolproof daytrading system. 2-5% guaranteed returns, daily!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Enjoying that the ad I got in the middle of this article was a guy saying he'd teach me his foolproof daytrading system. 2-5% guaranteed returns, daily!

Lmao mine was just for liquor

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/gnj274/i_just_started_using_and_selling_on_paxful_and_my/

quote:

I just started using and selling on paxful and my bank just called me to tell me my bank account is closed

A financial analyst from us bank called me today to tell me that my account will be closed because of funds being deposited into my account through zelle were deemed as fraudulent. They are also going to take away any money i made. So essentially I'm going to be losing a ton of money. This is my only bank account and I have no idea what to do. Sites like paxful are completely legal. I was vending bitcoin and making transactions through zelle, only releasing bitcoin after funds were deemed as deposited. How is this possible? How was I supposed to know that the money coming in was fraudulent?

***Update: so at this point the only way i can get access to the bank account is if the branch manager where I first enrolled with us bank lifts the lock. I am calling her tomorrow, which is in a few hours. Any suggestions on how I should I approach the phone call?

****Update 5/21/2020: I called the branch and they said the manager isn't going to be available till tuesday because she's on vacation. I have rent due on saturday so I told them if we don't remove this lock I'm going to call the police.

*****Update 5/21: One of the local branch manager stepped in and gave me a call back. Did not go well. Said that a decision has been already made to close the account. I asked him by who and when and he just kept saying a decision has been made to close the account over and over again. I called into support and they said they don't see a decision noted on the account yet. Maybe I should wait for the original branch managers to get back from vaca?

*****Update 5/22: Received this notification from coinbase today: "Your recent purchase failed. Until resolved, your ability to trade and transact is disabled.After 5 days, we will automatically sell cryptocurrency in your account to collect any outstanding payments." This is regarding me trying to buy 1000 worth of bitcoin through ach transfer earlier this week before lock happened. I spoke with a us banker and she said that the 1000 is still posted as paid on my account. If it didn't go through coinbase, wouldn't it be credited back to my bank account? Also received an email from coinbase today: "Due to suspicious activity on your account, we have increased the holding time before you can withdraw your funds by 9 business days. This is meant to protect you against fraud by ensuring that you authorized this purchase. No action is required on your part." I am confused as to what coinbase has to do with any of this other than me simply buying bitcoin on there.

There are a few of you that recommended I stop into the bank in person. I am not in Iowa. I am in Washington state. The only way i can contact original branch is over the phone. That branch manager is gone till Tuesday. However, that branch had me speak with one of the local branch managers, who i spoke with today, and he said that the decision has been made to close the account and he doubts that me speaking with original branch manager is going to change anything based on the info he's gotten from efraud. Iowa branch manager said hold could take some time because they are investigating all the transactions made. There were 11 of them made over a four day period.

I was on the phone with local Washington state banker while on the phone with iowa branch manager through conversation. Washington state banker suggested for iowa branch manager to reach out and email original branch manager which he ended up doing. Other than suggesting that there's probably nothing the original branch manager can do and suggesting that it will may take sometime for investigation, that was the end of the conversation.

Looks like we're gonna have to wait till Tuesday.

Also this dude marcbago played two face, tried to give advice on here and went on to make fun of me and refers to me as a "ringleader of a laundering scheme." Definition of a Judas. Here's his post: https://old.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/gokp6n/user_is_shocked_to_find_their_bank_account_has/

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Staryberry posted:

I recently started listening to the podcast “Swindled”. They have lots of BWM stories, but I thought of this group when I listened to this one called the “Horse Queen”. In the largest municipal fraud in American history, Rita Crundwell embezzled over $50 million from the city of Dixon, Illinois, to support her extravagant lifestyle and expensive hobby, breeding and showing Quarter Horses.

http://swindledpodcast.com/podcasts/season-1/episode-02-the-horse-queen/

There is a documentary call All the Queen's Horses about this debacle. It looks like it's on Amazon Prime right now, definitely worth a watch.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jeez that BWM story went dark fast. Like, “haha look at the buttcoin!” to “oh poo poo looks like someone is going to jail.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

he was telling me things like there's nothing you can do about it, you were part of a laundering ring, he even said "don't call me bro."

quote:

please provide evidence or a time where someone got scammed on zelle after payment was sent lol

quote:

People use bitcoin for freedom and personal reasons. They don't use it for illegal activity. Do you assume every bill you get came from a drug deal?

quote:

They literally locked all of my money despite the fact that a large portion of it is unrelated to the zelle transactions. There was no trial.

quote:

What some of you fail to understand is that there have been a total of 4 people who have been arrested for "laundering" money for bitcoin in the united states. Also, this situation is not much different than buyers filing disputes on paypal so they can get their money back. Happens everyday. Ya'll need to chill.

My sweet summer child.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My sweet summer child.

So what kind of laundering was he involved in?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Residency Evil posted:

So what kind of laundering was he involved in?

There is a website that does peer to peer "currency exchanges" for bitcoin. There's people on there who will pay about 50% above market rate for bitcoin. You can buy bitcoin and then sell it on Paxful for a 50% profit immediately.

This is because the buyers are all emptying compromised bank accounts that they have hacked for bitcoin.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Breakups can be so expensive.

quote:

Being sued by ex-girlfriends father

I am being sued by my ex girlfriends father who is a lawyer. I lived with her at her parents house in CT for 5 years rent free because we intended on getting married. She eventually broke up with me and now he is suing me for Unjust Enrichment to the tune of $60,000. He says this is rent I owe him because I was only living there for free to save money to buy her a house one day. This is a lie and we never had any agreement, but he is a lawyer and doesn’t mind bringing me to court. I am in a position where I don’t know how strong his case is and don’t know how much my defense might cost. I’m trying to determine if I need to settle this before I owe the claim and legal fees on top of it. I’m looking for advise or opinions on if his claim will hold water and what my options are.

Sadly, OP doesn't say what caused the breakup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/goqtbj/being_sued_by_exgirlfriends_father/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Unrelated but it's funny to me that Game of Thrones choked so hard that the only surviving part of its legacy is the phrase "my sweet summer child"

I wonder if that GRRM guy is getting any pages done since he's home for months and there's no football

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Unrelated but it's funny to me that Game of Thrones choked so hard that the only surviving part of its legacy is the phrase "my sweet summer child"

I wonder if that GRRM guy is getting any pages done since he's home for months and there's no football

You know nothing, GGGC. That also managed to enter our lexicon.

Incest sure seems a lot more popular after GoT's came out.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:hmbol:

Worst Negative Equity You've Seen?

quote:

Sup guys -- have an interesting one for you. Had a customer come in looking at Silveraydos a few weeks ago, and planned on trading in his 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro. Find a truck, go through the usual while they're doing the appraisal and start to get payoff info. He logs into Toyota Financial, screenshots, and texts it to me. I had to immediately walk away and talk to my GM. His payoff was $73,XXX on a 2019 Tacoma. I've only been in the industry for a year and was completely confused, and my GM who has 27 years in nearly lost their poo poo.
Half posting to brag, and also trying to figure out how in the hell they could get approved over $34K above the trucks value. Input welcome!
Proof w/ PII edited:

Go read some of the responses in that thread

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

Ugh gently caress car salesmen so hard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Doesn’t that phrase substantially predate GoT? I’m pretty sure I’ve been hearing it for 20 years at least.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well the first book came out in 96.

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh gently caress car salesmen so hard.

True, but the guy also has a one year old truck and is looking to buy another new car. The blame is shared here. Most of the people who have terrible negative equity are in that position because they feel like they need to be constantly buying new cars. Not good enough to drive a car for 10 years and actually have a few years of no car payments.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bird in a Blender posted:

True, but the guy also has a one year old truck and is looking to buy another new car. The blame is shared here. Most of the people who have terrible negative equity are in that position because they feel like they need to be constantly buying new cars. Not good enough to drive a car for 10 years and actually have a few years of no car payments.

The car salesman is responsible in the same way as a heroin dealer selling to an obvious addict, but the heroin dealer doesn't play TV ads.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

The $16.44 daily interest accrued is my favorite.

From the comments:

quote:

In the past two weeks Ive seen 19k on a 2015 Sentra, and 50k on a 2016 Armada. They did not get new cars.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/cryptonator1337/status/1262510117452484616?s=20

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn’t that phrase substantially predate GoT? I’m pretty sure I’ve been hearing it for 20 years at least.
Yeah this is not-

*crumbles to dust and blows away*

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yeah, nah gently caress the car dealer anyways.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The car salesman is responsible in the same way as a heroin dealer selling to an obvious addict, but the heroin dealer doesn't play TV ads.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe it's my memory being weird but I remember my mom saying it before the GoT books existed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's not like you need an 8 year long Summer to still look at a naive person and make a joke that they've never experienced harsh conditions. Looking online the etymology says the term dates back to the 1800's.

Also I thought people liked Tacoma's? They sure like selling used one's for a lot of money. Is it possible this guy thought he could somehow get out from underneath his $70k+ burden by trading it in? I'm not entirely sure he understands how negative equity works.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tyro posted:

Maybe it's my memory being weird but I remember my mom saying it before the GoT books existed.

Yeah, I was just chatting with some old friends about it and we recall it being used a bunch by one of our high-school teachers, so that puts it somewhere before 1995.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Language/2018_September_27 says 1840!

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Tyro posted:

I was thinking the same thing but everything looking it up still points to game of thrones... Until I found this

I thought I was going insane but luckily no, it's nerds assuming nothing existed before whatever media they cared about was made.

E: didn't refresh and was beaten but we've definitely doxxed half the thread as being old as hell

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 24, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

money bad

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You old dorks are having a Berenstain Bears moment. Some poem in 1850 that called the breeze "the child of summer" doesn't explain why people started using it to mean "naive" once the hit HBO series came out

Now take your magnesium pills and tell me more about Nelson Mandela's funeral, grampa

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My mom says “sweet summer child” every now and then. I think she got it from growing up in the 60s from the hippies.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, I can't imagine that all the old people in Florida when I grew up there were big Game of Thrones fans. Also if you search for the phrase minus a couple other keywords ("martin", "fear") you can easily find examples of the phrase being used in the 1800s and early 1900s, here's one that specifically uses it as a synonym for naive.

quote:

The phrase “sweet summer’s child” became a popular way of describing an innocent, naive person (especially among American writers) during the early Victorian era. It was used by a number of authors during the 1840s, notably: Fredrika Bremer (1840), James Staunton Babcock (1849) in The West Wind and Mary Whitaker (1850) in The Creole. It has been used in a number of other novels, poems and speeches (especially by US authors) throughout the 20th century.

moana fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 24, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Do not trade on small Bart

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
GRRM is now officially an unoriginal hack.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

totalnewbie posted:

GRRM is now officially an unoriginal hack.

You're just now figuring that out?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one saying "sweet summer child" on the internet got it from early Victorian authors.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

withak posted:

No one saying "sweet summer child" on the internet got it from early Victorian authors.

No, but now it's pretty clear GRRM did, or he got it from someone who did.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

withak posted:

It's been continuously in use as an idiom since the 1800s

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
This is one of the dumber derails yet

And this thread's seen a few

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh sweet monopoly child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Enchanted Hat posted:

This is one of the dumber derails yet

And this thread's seen a few