Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I bet Boris is worried that a pissed off Cummings that he throws under a bus is going to go full "I'm taking you all with me" on him and everyone else he perceives as having been involved (which is everyone lol).

119 is the emergency number in Jamaica and is/was going to be a covid specific NHS emergency number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Cummings'll never resign and Boris is probably too scared of him to sack him, so I'm not sure how this gets resolved lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I bet Boris is worried that a pissed off Cummings that he throws under a bus is going to go full "I'm taking you all with me" on him and everyone else he perceives as having been involved (which is everyone lol).

119 is the emergency number in Jamaica and is/was going to be a covid specific NHS emergency number

Him going full supervillain mode would be absolutely wonderful :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1264513792697917440?s=20

lol

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1264514805655908352?s=20

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 24, 2020

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
he could resign quickly, leave his mobile number on a post-it in no.10, have peston laurak etc write obsequious eulogies about the "controversial but brilliant figure" and then back in no.10 by august.

but he wont because 'winning' his mind games with the media class and proving he is untouchable is more important than absolutely anything else.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

i hope someone's keeping an eye on the back in case he tries to hop over the fence and leg it back to Durham again

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Best outcome at this point is he gets sacked and immediately leaks horrific secrets about the whole cabinet.

Maybe Laura will even let one or two go public if we're lucky.

stev fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 24, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Angepain posted:

i hope someone's keeping an eye on the back in case he tries to hop over the fence and leg it back to Durham again

probably left the bins out for him to land on line that other tory who skipped out of a hustings

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like this article because at face value it reads that she sent £13.4 billion in overseas aid to a whatsapp group.

Which is also entirely believable to be honest.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
he'll go quietly, if he goes, and be folded back into no. 10s operations somehow by year end; probably via gove.

boris is an excellent campaigner but in office he dithers for some reason, i guess laziness. he's trying to delay an inevitable decision because it's uncomfortable.

the longer this goes on the less cabinet members will be willing to play along as they'll fear looking (more) foolish on the inevitable reversal. if he doesn't go at all, then it will be common currency that cummings has the whip hand over him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Boris isn't an excellent campaigner. He has always relied on a cult of personality based on cheery nature and propped up by the tabloids. HIGNFY did more to get him into Number 10 than the entire Conservative machine.

Red Oktober posted:

My money is on him going now. This is the Sunday times today:

The article about the worst death toll being down to dithering right next to him.

We already knew that the Tories have lost Murdoch. Nice to have more evidence, though, especially when you consider how good he is at knowing when the Tories are finished.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 24, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

stev posted:

Maybe Laura will even let one or two go public if we're lucky.

I've just had breakfast

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The worry is that they end up propping up labour and we end up repeating the blair years.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rustybear posted:

he'll go quietly, if he goes, and be folded back into no. 10s operations somehow by year end; probably via gove.

boris is an excellent campaigner but in office he dithers for some reason, i guess laziness. he's trying to delay an inevitable decision because it's uncomfortable.

the longer this goes on the less cabinet members will be willing to play along as they'll fear looking (more) foolish on the inevitable reversal. if he doesn't go at all, then it will be common currency that cummings has the whip hand over him.

I think Boris is now encountering the divide amongst the Tories that was ever-widening when May was in office and Brexit was going completely tits-up, but that was temporarily papered over with the election victory and the huge majority. It never went away though, and however some Tories feel personally about what Cummies did (probably don't give a gently caress) they will absolutely exploit the situation for leverage or influence. With Cummies gone, you'd have to imagine it leaving a large influence gap right at the top.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Jedit posted:

We already knew that the Tories have lost Murdoch. Nice to have more evidence, though, especially when you consider how good he is at knowing when the Tories are finished.

I don't think the Tories have lost Murdoch, just that Johnson has. They'll be back to slobbering over PM Gove's brilliant brain.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Bardeh posted:

I think Boris is now encountering the divide amongst the Tories that was ever-widening when May was in office and Brexit was going completely tits-up, but that was temporarily papered over with the election victory and the huge majority. It never went away though, and however some Tories feel personally about what Cummies did (probably don't give a gently caress) they will absolutely exploit the situation for leverage or influence. With Cummies gone, you'd have to imagine it leaving a large influence gap right at the top.

a lot of MPs had grown accustomed to the power a minority government afforded them individually; obviously once boris had his stonking majority no.10 just stopped returning all their calls.

steve baker is definitely in this category.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Aramoro posted:

Is this the 10th of May visit to Durham? There's tweets about that one?

There's a tweet, and it's at the actual time which is good rather than post-hoc, but there's no photographs yet. And the fact he's denying it means that if he was there he's pretty sure he's not been snapped.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ash Crimson posted:

in a way, i feel bad for cummies, as a parasite he is only doing what is necessary for him to survive, much like an outer body, free roaming tapeworm with a tad more sentience but sacrifices must be made...

:bisonyes:
Except that some tapeworms, when themselves diseased, will detach to prevent spreading the disease, rather than traveling to Durham to infect their parents and the whole city. Some parasitic worms even modulate the host immune response to prevent autoimmune diseases while training it to attack diseases that are harmful to the worms, being more symbiotic than parasitic, whereas Dom has never improved anything in his life even if it would tangentially make things easier for him.

OwlFancier posted:

The worry is that they end up propping up labour and we end up repeating the blair years.
I don't think they can as long as Mr Forensic is even slightly accountable to the mass membership, Blair was able to take advantage of a period where nobody cared about holding the technocracy to account and discontent was vented more by Chumbawamba than Conference. I'm holding on to see how true that is this year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think they can as long as Mr Forensic is even slightly accountable to the mass membership, Blair was able to take advantage of a period where nobody cared about holding the technocracy to account and discontent was vented more by Chumbawamba than Conference. I'm holding on to see how true that is this year.

We can hope, but I'm also skeptical that the committed left message would actually hold up in the face of "we can win and you can forget about it"

Not that that isn't an important thing to try, but I am skeptical that we have the numbers for that currently.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Except that some tapeworms, when themselves diseased, will detach to prevent spreading the disease, rather than traveling to Durham to infect their parents and the whole city. Some parasitic worms even modulate the host immune response to prevent autoimmune diseases while training it to attack diseases that are harmful to the worms, being more symbiotic than parasitic, whereas Dom has never improved anything in his life even if it would tangentially make things easier for him.

yeah, to be fair a case could be made that some parasites have influenced humanity in much more positive ways than cummy cumcums ever has or will

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Lol

https://twitter.com/RichardA/status/1264522834526822401?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

We can hope, but I'm also skeptical that the committed left message would actually hold up in the face of "we can win and you can forget about it"

Not that that isn't an important thing to try, but I am skeptical that we have the numbers for that currently.
Much as I hate reducing all human interactions to transactional interactions because it's peak lolbertarian beep boop, Sir Keir should know as a lawyer that the membership is effectively paying his retainer as a representative. So are some of the Bad Unions, so we can't just sit back and expect him to act for us, but pushing demands for public ownership of utilities and an end to indefinite detention seemed to get us somewhere.

Not that I expect much more than postwar reformism as a compromise, but the membership is much larger and more radical than it was for Blair, and is happy to donate time and money if the leadership makes the right noises and appointments.

Did anyone ever figure out where Blair got all the money for his election campaign from when the party had a tiny membership, and where they're buried?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1264451603811258370?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's been pointed out that today is the one year anniversary of May's resignation speech.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/PuroPodcast/status/1264530035999940612?s=20

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

stev posted:

It's been pointed out that today is the one year anniversary of May's resignation speech.

She was just ahead of the curve on social distancing.

Meanwhile the government leaving all their press briefings up on their youtube channel has proved useful for Labour

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1264532041380638725

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Leakage

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

She was just ahead of the curve on social distancing.

Meanwhile the government leaving all their press briefings up on their youtube channel has proved useful for Labour

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1264532041380638725

More than half the replies to that are people saying "What about Stephen Kinnock??", and calls for him to be sacked from his job of being an MP, which is a thing that is totally possible...

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 24, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

first straight up retraction?

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1264536366462926848?s=20

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

tfw you hold a record for putting things up your arse.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Dead Goon posted:

loving shrinkflation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

National shame. Next you'll be telling me the creme egg man was using mini ones.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
How is it THIS that makes the comfortable middle class types rage?

Not the highest homeless population in living memory, not bombs we made murdering innocent children, not the Tories murdering innocent disabled people, not all the injustices against immigrants and workers, not the mere existence of billionaires, not decades of institutionalised racism in the police and child abuse in the upper echelons of power but... one dude breaking the rules?

Why is it this that gets peoples' goat?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Not the highest homeless population in living memory, not bombs we made murdering innocent children, not the Tories murdering innocent disabled people, not all the injustices against immigrants and workers, not the mere existence of billionaires, not decades of institutionalised racism in the police and child abuse in the upper echelons of power but... one dude breaking the rules?

Because people have been directly affected by the thing he ignored.
Only inconvenienced, for the most part, but affected.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

something that directly impacts them

https://twitter.com/hannahrosewoods/status/1264506682970906624?s=20

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Same reason people get mad at people queue jumping. He's breaking the rules, this cannot stand. I want to speak to the manager etc.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

If you have a chimp and you give him 5 grapes, he'll be pretty happy with the result. If you have 2 chimps and you give Chimpan-A 5 grapes and Chimpan-B 10 grapes, Chimpan-A loses his poo poo.

Extrapolate to the rest of the hominids

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Because by nature of the fact that it's one person being a hypocrite, it has the full weight of the press behind it and is extremely easy to internalize. It's peak liberal politics, and you will also find that it doesn't go any deeper for most of them than this one person. It is not indicative of a systemic problem that traces back further than you can imagine, it's just this one guy getting caught in a lie. You can be outraged at that and then when it goes away you can feel good about it.

You'll note that a lot of people are saying that there can't be one rule for the people at the top and one rule for the rest of us, and for a lot of them, that literally means that there isn't normally, or that it normally is at an "acceptable" level. They aren't actually radical egalitarians, but this lets them feel like they're principled for once in their lives.

The world is full of people who absolutely love to be catty and self righteous and this affords near everyone a chance to do it, and nobody except the least likeable tories will call them out on it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 24, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I don't understand people sometimes.

I'm reminded of a discussion that took place in a medical stats class during my uni years, tio the tune of whether 1 in 4 'felt' higher, or 25% 'felt' higher.

They're the same, they feel the same, but literally everyone else in the group felt that one or other felt higher.

Maybe I will just never understand people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't understand people sometimes.

I'm reminded of a discussion that took place in a medical stats class during my uni years, tio the tune of whether 1 in 4 'felt' higher, or 25% 'felt' higher.

They're the same, they feel the same, but literally everyone else in the group felt that one or other felt higher.

Maybe I will just never understand people.

It's all framing. It's the "would you rather save 60% or allow 40% to die" issue. Our brains are hard wired to reject anything portrayed in a negative or incomplete light.