Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Deirdre is a starter villager for you so the only way to get her to change her house is to kick her off and find her again. She's forever tutorial zone

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't think villagers will change their flooring or wallpaper. :( Haven't confirmed it myself, but I've read it on multiple occasions from folks in here.

Welp

poo poo and poo poo. Thanks for warning me at least guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

loquacius posted:

Welp

poo poo and poo poo. Thanks for warning me at least guys

Yeah the two villagers you start the game with are meant to be cycled out as they have crummy houses that aren't allowed to change

The 3 houses you build are the same way as they aren't the 'true' houses and just tutorials. Difference is that certain villagers can pair up with those houses pretty well regardless. Like Erik has this tacky rear end ski lounge house if you get him later, but I kinda prefer the log cabin he gets if he's a tutorial boy.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had Redd on my island yesterday and every piece was a fake. I chose to get one the one that I’ve seen can be haunted.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
I just realized that I have to keep my two extra people on my island. I was using them for the item dupe glitch, but I didn’t realize that if they have Saharah tickets I’d end up with 3 different mystery wallpapers and floors.

With Redd I’ll admit I’m not so worried about him because I never really cared about the art collecting in any of the AC games.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I have a bunch of extra paintings. I'll drop a painting for each person that comes to my island. They could be real or fake. I also have a bunch of fossils at my entrance that can be taken.

I'll be at the Western beach about half way up. I'll be on for another 30 min.

Dodo code is H30SS

Many thanks for your contribution to my island's culture

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Yeah thanks from me as well. I can probably start positioning all these haunted gracefuls I've found myself in the possession of near the town UFO and ruins area of my island for some spooky scenes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah the two villagers you start the game with are meant to be cycled out as they have crummy houses that aren't allowed to change

The 3 houses you build are the same way as they aren't the 'true' houses and just tutorials. Difference is that certain villagers can pair up with those houses pretty well regardless. Like Erik has this tacky rear end ski lounge house if you get him later, but I kinda prefer the log cabin he gets if he's a tutorial boy.
I think I've salvaged my Reneigh's house fairly well. Her "real" house is pretty nondescript, so I've been dealing with it and giving her a lot of furniture with the same pattern, particularly focusing on pieces the same size as the one I want to replace. It has, over the course of months, worked. It was not easy or quick going, but I more or less have given her a sensible set of furniture.

But generally you're right. If you look up their real houses 90% of the time you're going to be super disappointed and wish those villagers would leave. It's pretty sad, as I like to keep the "founders" around. It's kind of lonely on an island where no one else can remember the early days.

That's why I worked so hard on my Reneigh. Her house was built exactly where her tent was plonked down on March 19th. It's the oldest continually inhabited site on my island, considering I moved my house. I could never get rid of her, no matter how messed up her "tutorial" house is.

I guess there are a few villagers I wouldn't be able to let go like that if it weren't for the fact that their house interiors are lame, so maybe it's a good thing to help mix things up that your first guys are vaguely dissatisfying. I dunno. I miss Barold.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Difference is that certain villagers can pair up with those houses pretty well regardless. Like Erik has this tacky rear end ski lounge house if you get him later, but I kinda prefer the log cabin he gets if he's a tutorial boy.

Same for Sherb - he gets the log cabin with dirt floor, which I feel suits him more than his actual house which I think is just the Cute furniture. Especially considering how much he talks about the bugs in his floor and walls.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Meteor shower happening on my island in case anyone wants to get their 20 wishes in - everything’s closed, but there are some freebies by the entrance and on the right beach. Celeste isn’t here though. Probably gonna leave it open for an hour or so.

M83NW

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Opening Hildaland while I do some chores irl.
Nooks have an Elaborate Kimono Stand.
Ables aren't open for another hour. Edit: Ables are now open.
Take as many fruit as you want from the orchard, and DIYs and fossils on the beach are free to take.
Daisy Mae is selling turnips for 104.
Sprocket is currently crafting a Bamboo Drum.
I would really appreciate someone watering my flower patches on the farm to the west too.
Come and spend as much time as you like!

Code: closed

Thanks to everyone who came (and for your lovely comments about my island!)

Peanut Butter fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 24, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

E-flat posted:

So I just time traveled to take care of stuff, and it got me wondering. It seems like everything ‘resets’ when you go back to—for lack of a better word, today—like you have new fossils to dig up, you can give things to your villagers again, Nook’s selling different things now—but is there anything that doesn’t?

In my experience, Nook's doesn't reset unless you cross into the previous week. Able Sisters however resets every time you change to a new day. Other than that, if you get an announcement from Isabelle then everything resets.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/KateDrawsComics/status/1264321663291633664

drat. Outdone so easily.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Peanut Butter posted:

Opening Hildaland while I do some chores irl.
Nooks have an Elaborate Kimono Stand.
Ables aren't open for another hour.
Take as many fruit as you want from the orchard, and DIYs and fossils on the beach are free to take.
Daisy Mae is selling turnips for 104.
Sprocket is currently crafting a Bamboo Drum.
I would really appreciate someone watering my flower patches on the farm to the west too.
Come and spend as much time as you like!

Code: 93PDD

Thanks, Gave your flowers a nice water. I bought the Kimono Stand, if anyone wants to catalog it let me know and I'll open up my gates tomorrow once I wake back up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

GOONS!! :argh:

https://twitter.com/ThisIsACoolGuy/status/1264495897582292993

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh goodness that is heartbreaking. I hope you marched right over to that poor kitty after that and said hi.

I had stocked up on 30 Nook Miles Tickets to go hunting and found him on island 3 after Annalise and Cyd. My luck's always been pretty decent with Mystery Islands but crap with most other stuff. Time to keep my promise to say hi to him every day.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I had stocked up on 30 Nook Miles Tickets to go hunting and found him on island 3 after Annalise and Cyd. My luck's always been pretty decent with Mystery Islands but crap with most other stuff. Time to keep my promise to say hi to him every day.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! :neckbeard: I'm glad you found your kitty.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I didn't find a cat earlier this week after like 25-30 islands and wound up settling for a normal kangaroo, Marcie.

Her lipstick annoys me, and she has a somewhat basic house like some of the other normals. Blah. Guess there is always next time.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Opening The Dell for visitors! Dodo code: closed

Turnips selling for 99 - she's trapped on fruit salad island behind resident services

Nook's: Unlimited Tape Decks and Camp Stoves; 1x Champions Pennant (blue), 1x basic teachers desk (monotone); blue dot and exquisite parasols

Puddles is crafting log garden lounge

Free DIYs on the beach to the right of the airport!

Ables: Royal crown, Morning coat, Curly mustache, other stuff

If you have time, I'd really appreciate you watering the flowers in and around the hedges to the right of Able's. There's watering cans dropped all over, thanks a ton!!

kumba fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 24, 2020

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there some trick to getting your villagers to interact more? I think I've seen them talking to each other like once.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

precision posted:

I've been playing for what, 2 or 3 weeks and still don't have any recipes for pavement lol

I thought kk was the only musician in the game?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there some trick to getting your villagers to interact more? I think I've seen them talking to each other like once.

Build their houses closer together. I've got all my villagers living in a nice centralized grid and they talk to each other a ton.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Evil Mastermind posted:

Move their houses closer together? Mine are literally right next to each other and my villagers talk regularly. Of course, they all use each other’s catchphrases too...

E-flat fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 24, 2020

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

E-flat posted:

Of course, they all use each other’s catchphrases too...

The other day my fiance started messing around in my game while I was cooking food. Coach asked him to come up with a new catchphrase, so he gave him 'lmao' not realising that coach would spread it like wildfire. I now have 4 villagers who say 'lmao' at the end of their sentences, and a fiance who is not allowed to be left alone with my Switch ever again.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I've been experimenting with how to attract villagers, and I think it's literal pathing. I have a garden north of my villagers and they never visit it, even though I have chronic waterer Deli, but they will appear in my arcade and dance hall which has paths to it, but is clear across the island. By path, I mean the stock wood/dirt/brick paths in terraforming.

It might also depend on the items there and if they correlate to your villagers desires much like the gift system.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 24, 2020

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

PooInAnAlleyway posted:

The other day my fiance started messing around in my game while I was cooking food. Coach asked him to come up with a new catchphrase, so he gave him 'lmao' not realising that coach would spread it like wildfire. I now have 4 villagers who say 'lmao' at the end of their sentences, and a fiance who is not allowed to be left alone with my Switch ever again.

If you can catch them talking to each other when the catchphrase spreads, the conversations are all really cute though! :shobon:

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I put my house up on a northern hill where Redd's hideaway beach is and Poppy is nearby and she has no problem heading down to the plaza with everyone else every day; although most Villagers don't show up on my hill a few have just warped up there, but I will agree most of the ones who have conversations are closer together and have more time to spend around the plaza to interact. It could also just be bad RNG because after 2 months I've only seen one Villager actually stomping mad.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I had a double rainbow on my island today after it stopped raining, I only noticed because everyone I talked to was like 'holy poo poo did u see that double rainbow?' thats a nice touch

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I put my house up on a northern hill where Redd's hideaway beach is and Poppy is nearby and she has no problem heading down to the plaza with everyone else every day; although most Villagers don't show up on my hill a few have just warped up there, but I will agree most of the ones who have conversations are closer together and have more time to spend around the plaza to interact. It could also just be bad RNG because after 2 months I've only seen one Villager actually stomping mad.

I think villagers getting mad is more likely if you have conflicting personalities

like when I had Biff he got mad at Nate a few times so I guess maybe jocks dislike lazy villagers

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I think villagers getting mad is more likely if you have conflicting personalities

like when I had Biff he got mad at Nate a few times so I guess maybe jocks dislike lazy villagers

They do, but I've had every personality type except Snooty for at least the past month; the only mad Villager I had was Tom (Cranky) at Sprocket (Jock). I've interrupted a couple conversations where it sounded like someone was going to get mad (seems like Sprocket and Puddles have had the most tense arguments on my island, but they are also literally next-door neighbors) but they always defused through words somehow.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've got houses spread out all over the island and they still congregate at the plaza and chat it up.

I've had the most success by lurking around a bit after they greet each other, to see if they'll come together and start chatting. Then pick which side you want to talk to, which determines the kind of conversation you'll get. Obviously doesn't matter if they're the same personality.

E: I'm kicking Cheri off the moment she thinks about leaving. Carmen is the only true popstar of The Glen.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 24, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What villagar types are getting into those arguments? Because it seems like normal villagers seem to be able to defuse any situation. Poppy has gotten into a few arguments and every time it ends with her going "gosh I guess we're just two different people" and then she bakes an entire cake for them with the words "friendship" on it or something. I've never seen angry Poppy

Like at one point Miranda, my rich duck villager got into it with Poppy and I thought it was gonna end with them being mad but Poppy just like defused the whole thing at the end and I was like oh well okay

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Nooks have tiger tee dresses, adventure dress (Alice in Wonderland), tabi socks, kilts and balloon hats. Pretty good selection!

I have a bunch of DIY and other bits and pieces to give away. If anyone has megaloceros fossils lying around, they're all I need to complete my collection (right fossil).

Dodo: 85JJ8

Feel free to water whatever.

ETA: my island is butterfly central. Also feel free to bring a net.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 24, 2020

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I’ve had the peppy Pinky and normal Bea get into an argument. Pinky spoiled Bea’s book. :ssh:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

A friend of my wife spent the past 10 days and 300 Nook Miles tickets to try to track Raymond down, but had no luck.

Meanwhile, yesterday we had a camper, and today:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Macaluso posted:

What villagar types are getting into those arguments? Because it seems like normal villagers seem to be able to defuse any situation. Poppy has gotten into a few arguments and every time it ends with her going "gosh I guess we're just two different people" and then she bakes an entire cake for them with the words "friendship" on it or something. I've never seen angry Poppy

Like at one point Miranda, my rich duck villager got into it with Poppy and I thought it was gonna end with them being mad but Poppy just like defused the whole thing at the end and I was like oh well okay

Agent S, peppy, and Bones, lazy, used to get into fights all the time. She's gone now and I miss her but he seems happier.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Agent S, peppy, and Bones, lazy, used to get into fights all the time. She's gone now and I miss her but he seems happier.

Poor Agent S. I have a friend who had her and she DESPISED her to the point she'd gift her fleas all the time and hit her with the net and try every early NH trick to get her to leave and meanwhile I'm with Puddles the Peppy frog like "I don't get the problem, she's great!"; maybe Agent S was that subtype I hear so much about but don't have.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't believe I just spent 280k bells on turnips. :psyduck:

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't believe I just spent 280k bells on turnips. :psyduck:

That's not even a small roomful in your house at the minimum buying price, I can't believe you spent that little. :psyduck:

I kid, I kid, these last 2 weeks have been so awful for me I'm thinking about skipping the stalk market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm on the hunt for silver Desktop Computers, does anyone happen to have one I could touch?

Also for a white lighthouse, I can trade ya for one with black stripes.