Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It's like a goddamn Magic Eye© image where if you relax your eyes and stare at it long enough your brain suddenly assembles the hidden image and you can see the invisible hand of the free market punching the entire country in the dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I picked up Pho the other day in Ft Bend county. The restaurant didn't let anybody in and handled all orders outside. Every single person in line, (12 people), including every white person, was wearing a mask and standing 10 feet or so apart

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's like 14 feet iirc
*stretches out arms"

eh close enough

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Salt Fish posted:

Well if it doesn't work why should people follow it?

Didn’t they already determine that viral load plays a factor in how sick you can get? I would think it’s better to get the smallest amount of roni in your face as possible so 6 feet better than no feet.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SpaceCadetBob posted:

hasnt the 6’ thing been been found to be completely inadequate? especially indoors?

I think it is pretty much a bell curve sort of deal; 6' properly maintained at all times gets you quite far. As does proper hand hygiene. Even better if you manage masks when in public properly.

The main issue is getting people to consistently follow the rules, as long as compliance is low it will do no good at all making them more onerous.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Goreld posted:

Why is that?

Nice.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Sunday, May 24 2020

Hundreds of thousands are dead from a terrible virus, job losses are rampant, and the President is (working hard!) on Twitter to incite his followers to rise up against MSNBC show host Joe Scarborough.

What the gently caress is America?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

loving white people

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

this is the best possible thing because it basically guarantees a low spread rate during lockdowns long enough for people to get cavalier and then superspreader events for 2-4 weeks straight until the symtpomatic spike catches up

:stoked:

lmao this is basically a real-world Pareto diagram in action, 20% of the cluster cases eventually resulted in 80% of the net cases in the country.

Aren't you glad that our great US leadership declared things like WWF and churches are essential services that are allowed to stay open?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

hasnt the 6’ thing been been found to be completely inadequate? especially indoors?

Yeah they did real world tests using techniques like lasers to measure the aerosol droplet spread and found something like sneezing/coughing can reach 15-16'

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPKc7negLw

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goreld posted:

Glad to hear it! We need to ask you something, though.

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?
is it paying? I'm not really into giving away free handouts

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I think it is pretty much a bell curve sort of deal; 6' properly maintained at all times gets you quite far. As does proper hand hygiene. Even better if you manage masks when in public properly.

The main issue is getting people to consistently follow the rules, as long as compliance is low it will do no good at all making them more onerous.
If nothing else, any consistently maintained limit beyond what people would normally do reduces the number of people who get close enough to get infected. If say people would normally stand 2' apart, then a 6' limit reduces the number of people in close proximity to an infected person by a factor of 3-9 depending on whether their distribution is queue-like or evenly distributed across the floor. Not that people should really be participating in poo poo that evenly distributes them across a floor, but if they're gonna do it it helps a lot to maintain even that distance.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SKULL.GIF posted:

exponential decay

It's like 14 feet iirc

even 13-14 feet is just a probability and doesnt account for a million other factors (wind, direction people are facing, how loud they are, etc). the initial lies by the CDC couldn't have been worse if they tried and half the people operating in good faith have been unable to discern what's accurate since official messages keep changing while openers are spewing nonsense at the same time

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
there are already reports out that show social distancing works. 6' might not prevent 100% of community spread but it absolutely slows it down

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

https://twitter.com/scottpasmoretv/status/1264394565861232640?s=19

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Dolphin posted:

is it paying? I'm not really into giving away free handouts

Welcome back, Dolphin! Glad you passed the Real Capitalist test and aren’t a coronavirus-gestalt masquerading as a person.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

High high hopes lol

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
White people dot mp4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

there are already reports out that show social distancing works. 6' might not prevent 100% of community spread but it absolutely slows it down

Yeah, basic safety protocols and PPE aren't going to completely stop incidents, they're a last line of defence to mitigate incidents as much as possible when all the other systematic safety protocols (in this case being: voluntary self-isolation, mandatory quarantine for symptomatic people, contact tracing, quarantine for travelers, widespread testing, etc) haven't been enough to keep you out of harm's way and you're exposed to danger.

Washing hands and wearing masks and social distancing are the equivalent of wearing a seat belt in a car or safety glasses in a workshop - they're annoying but just tolerable enough for people to use them constantly without them getting in the way, but if the poo poo does happen to hit the fan then hopefully they provide just enough extra protection to keep you from getting hosed up:

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

kater posted:

nahnahnahnahnahnannananna updateeeeee. update. update!

https://twitter.com/kytv/status/1264309867445092352

A second hairstylist has hit the chud cuttery

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
i mean it seems pretty fair to say at this point that good social distancing + mask protocol + washing/sanitizing keeps your risk for the virus pretty low! we know it's not some incredible superbug that lingers in the subway for 18 hours a bit more now as the science has continued to come in.

its so frustrating because we've learned a bit more and now can make good common sense and evidence based decisions about what can safely reopen!!!!! argh. it's maybe not as bad as we thought moving forward, or doesn't have to be. but nope, we're hosed again.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

lol

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

you should send this video to ashley feinberg

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

charity rereg posted:

i mean it seems pretty fair to say at this point that good social distancing + mask protocol + washing/sanitizing keeps your risk for the virus pretty low! we know it's not some incredible superbug that lingers in the subway for 18 hours a bit more now as the science has continued to come in.

its so frustrating because we've learned a bit more and now can make good common sense and evidence based decisions about what can safely reopen!!!!! argh. it's maybe not as bad as we thought moving forward, or doesn't have to be. but nope, we're hosed again.

Not just your risk, but if everyone does it we lower the overall risk as a population. Which is why this is so loving stupid. Like you said, this isn't a superbug that is incredibly infectious or deadly, we totally could manage this is we were responsible but lol, no, shake hands and open er up.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress my tooth broke on some seed because of an old filling lol. If I catch corona it happened at the dentist

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So glad that I can just stay in for the next couple of weeks.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

they made a new too many cooks?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

‘Business Isn’t What It Was’: After Busy Start, Local Business Owners Say Shoppers Are Slow To Return

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/05/22/businesses-adjusting-to-reopening-plans-slow-returning-customers/amp/

quote:

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A handful of people stood outside the southside entrance to Macy’s at Ross Park Mall, waiting for the doors to open at 11 a.m.on Friday.

Three of the five people were there to return things purchased online over the past two months of the coronavirus shutdown.

Justin Burrus was just happy to shop at the Macy’s in The Mall at Robinson.

“I’m excited about everything being open, especially Macy’s. Going get some shoes, some clothes,” Burrus said.

Macy’s didn’t announce the opening of the stores until Friday morning.

Tammy Cecil was out looking for somewhere to shop.

“I was kind of surprised when I saw Macy’s was opened. I don’t usually shop at Macy’s so it’s kind of a benefit for them,” Cecil said.

The doors at Dick’s Sporting Goods stores have been open to customers for a week now

Dang, no one wants to shop during a mass death event, who could have seen this coming, etc

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

hello.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

‘Business Isn’t What It Was’: After Busy Start, Local Business Owners Say Shoppers Are Slow To Return

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/05/22/businesses-adjusting-to-reopening-plans-slow-returning-customers/amp/

Dang, no one wants to shop during a mass death event, who could have seen this coming, etc

the next step in FREE AMERICA is to force people to shop

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Why not

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1264571885674627072

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Ordering a Alfredo boat with my complimentary bread sticks after my assigned economy fighter cocks his gun

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/mythiitz/status/1264550765286305796?s=20

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Trying to avert my eyes as those too full for desert are lined up and shot as I walk to my legally mandated idling suv

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

UnknownTarget posted:

I can't comprehend this turning really bad. Despite all the warnings, I can't picture Americans facing consequences of their actions.

neither can they

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
uhhh there's still a ton of people lining up in gigantic food bank lines in cars and on foot (in some cities). so once the berniebux provisions expire what's the plan? back to work? lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Omg

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

uhhh there's still a ton of people lining up in gigantic food bank lines in cars and on foot (in some cities). so once the berniebux provisions expire what's the plan? back to work? lol

I talked to a high school friend of mine last night and pretty much everyone I went to school with who is still there is unemployed and that extra $600 a check is all that's keeping them afloat, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

fits my needs posted:

that’s when the people really start dying again, because a shitload of people will be forced out of self quarantine to eat.