Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

UmOk posted:

Why did he look different?

My son picked up on the different costume. It still looks bad, but it's a step up from the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sports are the ideal thing to play on TVs at bars and restaurants because you can just occasionally glance at them to see the score. But TV shows and movies demand consistent attention.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A Philly cheese steak place chain in Phoenix that I go to has a TV that for years only played one movie. Rocky. It refused to play anything else. I went back a few months ago and they were finally playing a different movie. Rocky 3.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
there's a burger place in Athens, GA called Clocked that (at least from what I remember) was always playing reruns of Ultraman and similar series. Haven't been there in a while, though, so I dunno if that's still going.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Violator posted:

Off topic, but there was a restaurant where I live that had a no sports rule and instead played the original TMNT, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, etc. on their TVs. That lasted about two weeks after they opened and they had to switch to sports out of customer demand. :(

My local bar plays sports on request, but otherwise it’s B movies and obscure cartoons. They do a Godzilla night a couple times a year that I’m usually in charge of. Destroyah went over the best. That glowing, smoking Godzilla suit got people’s attention.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Open Marriage Night posted:

My local bar plays sports on request, but otherwise it’s B movies and obscure cartoons. They do a Godzilla night a couple times a year that I’m usually in charge of. Destroyah went over the best. That glowing, smoking Godzilla suit got people’s attention.

You'll have to smack Shin on some time, though that may not go over well due to all the talking.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

there's a burger place in Athens, GA called Clocked that (at least from what I remember) was always playing reruns of Ultraman and similar series. Haven't been there in a while, though, so I dunno if that's still going.

My favorite Japanese food place in Tucson, a place called Yoshimatsu, was completely decorated with Showa era art, advertisements, figurines and stuff. So beautiful. They had TV's playing VHS tapes playing random stuff from a Japanese tv station recorded decades ago. I miss going there. They moved to a much smaller location across the street, and while the food was just as good, the new location lost a ton of the charm.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Burkion posted:

You'll have to smack Shin on some time, though that may not go over well due to all the talking.

Yeah, and most people just want to see a couple dudes in monster suits bumping into each other.

Son of Godzilla goes over good because it’s just so consistently weird, you can just watch a random five minutes, and get something out of it.

Doing a Toho King Kong double feature is fun too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, and most people just want to see a couple dudes in monster suits bumping into each other.

Son of Godzilla goes over good because it’s just so consistently weird, you can just watch a random five minutes, and get something out of it.

Doing a Toho King Kong double feature is fun too.

Have you tried MechaGodzilla 74? That thing is a visual delight of nonsense

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Oh yeah, that’s always been one of my favorites. Think it was the first Godzilla I saw back when they’d play a couple Godzilla movies on Thanksgiving.

Destroy All Monsters probably gets played more than it should, but it has a bunch of monsters, so it ends up in rotation.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

the score's great too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

THRILL to the King Caesar musical number!

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Dawgstar posted:

THRILL to the King Caesar musical number!

Thats’s one of the best parts!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I love that multiple consecutive entries all had a song number. They should release a compilation album.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

I love that multiple consecutive entries all had a song number. They should release a compilation album.

That's what KOTM was really missing, a 70s love ballad set to a montage of Godzilla and Mothra frolicking through the jungles and islands of Earth -- with a tearful interlude by Kong, wondering if he'll ever find a love so pure and strong.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Notice, Return of Godzilla ends on a pop love song directed to Godzilla by the singer-presumably Mothra.

Godzilla really loves loving love songs

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Godzilla vs. Hedorah has the random eco-love song in the dance club (until everyone turns into fish-headed dancers) AND the hippy party on the mountain complete with a rock band with electric instruments and no visible power source.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

bad news for any of us still clinging to hope for Godzilla vs. Kong getting released this year:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HannibalBarca posted:

bad news for any of us still clinging to hope for Godzilla vs. Kong getting released this year:

You’re probably right, but it’s also not uncommon for movie concept art books to come out after the film if the book contains spoiler stuff.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You’re probably right, but it’s also not uncommon for movie concept art books to come out after the film if the book contains spoiler stuff.

yeah but it's usually not a six-month gap though. =/

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if they want to get it out the way of Bond and Black Widow, those films weren't originally meant to be the competition. Because a lot of production has shut down across the board, then maybe some 2021 films will get pushed forward to account for the delay. Maybe Godzilla vs. Kong will go where The Batman was initially supposed to be if that gets pushed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gonna watch Godzilla vs Kong with an Evazilla popcorn bucket strapped to my head like a feedbag

https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/1265280254655885312?s=20

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WHAT THE gently caress. I need.

E: Nevermind, that popcorn bucket is $200 to $300 CAD. :lol: My wife would kill me right now if I tried buying that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh man, this live-action Evangelion movie commercial is so good, I'm really excited for, excited...for... :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNdduh2DMMQ&hd=1

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fun M1 Titanosaurus I got to customize 😸

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a loving beaut.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1271596375139127296?s=20

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat this virus. Not for the economic catastrophe it's brought or the lives it's ended, but because it denied me the chance to see a new Godzilla movie this year.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

drat this virus. Not for the economic catastrophe it's brought or the lives it's ended, but because it denied me the chance to see a new Godzilla movie this year.

Why not simply take this time to learn Japanese and subtitle the puppet Godzilla content not currently available in English?

https://twitter.com/OOCCreature/status/1271530627607801865?s=20

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

was pretty much inevitable based on how the fast few months have gone, but still disappointed that I won't get a Godzilla Day this year. C'est la vie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

When was Godzilla vs Kong supposed to come out? We could do a watch along of the original or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

When was Godzilla vs Kong supposed to come out? We could do a watch along of the original or something.

Last month.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

March 2020 > May 2020 > November 2020 > May 2021

thread-watch could be fun tho

Violator
May 15, 2003

You would think we would have gotten a teaser or at least some photos by this point for one of those release dates. Even considering reshoots.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Violator posted:

You would think we would have gotten a teaser or at least some photos by this point for one of those release dates. Even considering reshoots.

I figure that we would have gotten a teaser this month or maybe in May if the movie had stayed in November. I think they were always planning on relocating it from the March/May 2020 dates after KOTM flopped though.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

tbh I agree with one of the producers who said something about "franchise fatigue" and rolling out GvsK quickly after KotM's mediocre box office sounds bad. I don't think I'm imagining that remark.

Spacing out the release of GvsK probably increases its chances of doing ok

Also theres a risk for a Winter COVID outbreak so...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still think it's troubling that the movie was supposed to be out a month ago, originally, and we have yet to see a single frame of footage from it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Timby posted:

I still think it's troubling that the movie was supposed to be out a month ago, originally, and we have yet to see a single frame of footage from it.

It's been pushed back 11 months. I'd assume that the promotions have been similarly delayed.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ah, the good ol' days of seeing previews for movies coming out in a year rather than two months, and then having the entire movie spoiled via 50 30-second TV ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Timby posted:

We did get that two-three second snippet of Kong and Godzilla fighting on an aircraft carrier, which really just sort of emphasizes your original point.