Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

dishwasherlove posted:

I found this a pretty good read https://www.tckroleplaying.com/bg/1830/1830_adv_strategies_and_common_mistakes_by_Henning_Kantner.pdf

The images of a good south NY route, and a good north NY route highlight how critical the placement of the yellow town tiles are, and how companies such as C&O and NYNH can screw NY routes over by placing certain limited town tiles next to their home city.

Yeah, some of the most critical spots are NE and W of NYC. SE of C&O is also a double village, but it's not as important unless C&O and Erie are looking to hook up. It definitely is one of the trickier aspects of the emergent alliances in the game. It's why I really appreciate how Chicago express abstracts it very well in such a low-complexity game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Quixotic1 posted:

I got extra copies if you still need.

I do. You can gmail me at defeldus to arrange. Thanks

Infinitum posted:

Yeah I'm looking at Kallax now. Can't decide if I want to go 4x4 or 5x5.

5x5 seems... excessive... for now

I have a 3x3 and it holds a lot, 5x5 can easily hold 100+ full box games.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Not only is my 5x5 full, but I have stuff atop it and filling another bookshelf and also stacked on the pinball machine. Also there's usually the odd game here or there that I've taken someplace and not put back or prepped for taking somewhere. And there's the outgoing shelf to remind me when I see the people they're for. I might have a problem.

I played a solo game of Fallout the board game yesterday and I think I see why it's so divisive. The rules as written certainly don't help, as they present the scenarios as something with a predefined win condition. Approaching it a little more like the original conception of STALKER makes the rules make a ton more sense. The scenarios are worlds to explore and plots to unravel, but someone else can beat you to the punch. In practical terms that makes the factions in each scenario a timer, in that they'll accomplish their goal whether you're involved or not, and once they have further story beats are somewhat irrelevant. With an open-world game you have to define your own goals, so if you're not bothering with the plot there's not really any reason to worry about the timer--so the influence and factions mechanic is really more a suggestion for an endpoint because any endpoint at all is gonna be a bit arbitrary. I can see a few ways to encourage that aspect and even leave everything else intact, so I'll have to try those out next time I feel the itch. I suspect the rulebook was written as such so marketing could put a session length on the box, but hey who knows maybe whoever wrote it really thought that abrubt game end condition was satisfying.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I bought a 5x5 kallax from Ikea, and use it not only as a game shelf, but also a room divider, like so:

They are really nice shelves, I'm gonna get some smaller ones soon as well.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

Redundant posted:

If you play it for the coin value then you get the coins on the card. The prop plane is a bit of an exception since if you use one of the values (I think 4 for the plane) you have to discard it so you might choose to only take half a coin so you can save the plane for later.

That's what we thought, but there was some doubt, and I didn't find it explicitly stated in the rule book. Thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Day 1: swore mighty oaths on the lives of my loved ones that I would buy only as many games as could fit on my shelves.

Day 12: bought more shelves.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Jedit posted:

Day 1: swore mighty oaths on the lives of my loved ones that I would buy only as many games as could fit on my shelves.

Day 12: bought more shelves.
I originally bought a 2x4 Kallax shelf and thought that would be plenty. I think I am going to have to buy another one. So that they can bookend the 5x5 shelf that I will also have to buy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol I was going to get a 5x5, as I had extra junk I could throw in them, but the space I'm putting it will only fit a 4x4.

So I guess that answers that question :v:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh huh it looks like that good warhammer game has an online implementation now
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022310/Warhammer_Underworlds_Online/

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Impermanent posted:

oh huh it looks like that good warhammer game has an online implementation now
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022310/Warhammer_Underworlds_Online/

Fumbbl's been running for years.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Fumbbl's been running for years.

Did Fumbbl never get shut down? I'm kinda surprised....

(And yes Fumbbl is fukkin great)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

i'm in the real dark place and looking at buying a couple 2x4 kallaxes to stack on top of my 4x4s

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SoftNum posted:

Did Fumbbl never get shut down? I'm kinda surprised....

(And yes Fumbbl is fukkin great)

The best thing about Fumbbl is the Foul Appearance skill success sound.

"Ewwww!"

Dancer
May 23, 2011

deadwing posted:

i'm in the real dark place and looking at buying a couple 2x4 kallaxes to stack on top of my 4x4s

You must be a very tall person.

Or in possession of a ladder I guess.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2086043930

TTS mod list for the top 500 games on BGG

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You can fit more games on a shelf if you get rid of the boxes :v:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, has anyone here heard/played the Death Battle Card Game? I like the concept of Death Battle, but if it's just a meme game I won't bother looking to get it. I also want to ask about Unmatched Battle of Legends because I'm a sucker for anything that references Alice in Wonderland.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is Pandemic Hotzone North America essentially just a mini-version of Pandemic?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, it's the same thing as Ticket to Ride New York: A micro version of the game spawned from a demo copy that can be played in 15-20 minutes.

TTR:NY (and the other versions now) is really good because it cuts out a lot of the buildup of TTR and gets straight to the cutthroat parts, but I'm curious to see if Pandemic Hot Zone can keep the tempo and power curve of Pandemic in balance. It will probably be a solid alternative to or stepping stone from Forbidden Island/Desert for people that can't quite handle a full length Pandemic (more for time than complexity).

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Stickman posted:

You can fit more games on a shelf if you get rid of the boxes :v:

Just throw all your game components in a big ol' sack and pull them back out when you need them

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bobvonunheil posted:

Just throw all your game components in a big ol' sack and pull them back out when you need them

Yes this post right here Officer.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, it's the same thing as Ticket to Ride New York: A micro version of the game spawned from a demo copy that can be played in 15-20 minutes.

Sweet. Mate of mine is really into Pandemic atm, and I'd like to gift him something sliiiightly different as we don't need 2 copies of Pandemic floating around our gaming group :v:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

Sweet. Mate of mine is really into Pandemic atm, and I'd like to gift him something sliiiightly different as we don't need 2 copies of Pandemic floating around our gaming group :v:

Counterpoint: Consider Pandemic Iberia. It's got a beautiful production (though the cards are a little thin), is much closer to the complexity of normal pandemic (if not a little higher) and has rails/trains.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Counterpoint: Consider Pandemic Iberia. It's got a beautiful production (though the cards are a little thin), is much closer to the complexity of normal pandemic (if not a little higher) and has rails/trains.

Yeah, Iberia is probably the best version of the game and is gorgeous. It offers 4 variants in the box too.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If it’s the coop feel of Pandemic that they like more than the theme itself, you might also consider Flash Point: Fire Rescue. It’s mechanically similar, but with spreading fire and collapsing walls instead of diseases.

E: If no one in the group has Iberia, get that first!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

dromer posted:

No. Once a yellow track with a small town has been laid it's there for life. Same for the doubles, with the addition that there's one unique double of each type so C&O, if it floats at the appropriate time, gets to choose which track doesn't go next to the NY tile

dishwasherlove posted:

I found this a pretty good read https://www.tckroleplaying.com/bg/1830/1830_adv_strategies_and_common_mistakes_by_Henning_Kantner.pdf

The images of a good south NY route, and a good north NY route highlight how critical the placement of the yellow town tiles are, and how companies such as C&O and NYNH can screw NY routes over by placing certain limited town tiles next to their home city.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, 1830 has some brutal track lays and the tile limitations have everything to do with it.

Thanks guys. The track laying for us never turned into a bloodbath because none of us really know what we're doing but I was just curious if I was screwing something up. Also, I understand the hate the reprint gets now. The mind-bogglingly stupid decisions made with regard to components and rules and design is just... remarkable. Can understand why Tresham wouldn't sign the one guy's copy the one time, or at least that's what someone posted a while back.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Would love recommendations for a relatively lightweight 2p co-op game. The sweetspot in terms of difficulty / complication has been Pandemic - we've just started Pandemic Legacy after playing the base game a dozen or so times and they're loving the discovery process.

I'm looking specifically for co-op stuff because Magic has been the top choice for directly competitive. Although I'd love to grab Spirit Island, after playing it on TTS, it's definitely too much for them to keep in mind at once and still enjoy. Space Alert has been a little too anxiety inducing with the time limit, so I'm trying to figure out what the options in the middle are.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

interrodactyl posted:

Would love recommendations for a relatively lightweight 2p co-op game. The sweetspot in terms of difficulty / complication has been Pandemic - we've just started Pandemic Legacy after playing the base game a dozen or so times and they're loving the discovery process.

I'm looking specifically for co-op stuff because Magic has been the top choice for directly competitive. Although I'd love to grab Spirit Island, after playing it on TTS, it's definitely too much for them to keep in mind at once and still enjoy. Space Alert has been a little too anxiety inducing with the time limit, so I'm trying to figure out what the options in the middle are.

I bought a friend ... and then we held hands as a wedding present. He and his wife took it on their honeymoon and said they enjoyed it very much.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

Fox in the Forest Duet is a co-op trick-taking game that takes about 15 minutes to play.

Orleans has an expansion that adds co-op that is well done, but the set up is significant.

Arkham Horror LCG/Mansion of Madness are both great if you are ready to go down that rabbit hole.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Marvel Champions LCG is pretty close to Pandemic-level complexity and doesn't require longer-term investment in narrative arcs! Arkham Horror is great, though, and you can always pick decks off Arkhamdb if people don't feel like deckbuilding (same for Marvel Champions once you get tired of the starter decks).

E: Also Flash Point Fire Rescue, but it feels very similar to Pandemic.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 24, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

interrodactyl posted:

Lost Cities or Schotten Totten are not co-op but at fantastic little 2p games period.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Thanks guys. The track laying for us never turned into a bloodbath because none of us really know what we're doing but I was just curious if I was screwing something up. Also, I understand the hate the reprint gets now. The mind-bogglingly stupid decisions made with regard to components and rules and design is just... remarkable. Can understand why Tresham wouldn't sign the one guy's copy the one time, or at least that's what someone posted a while back.

OTOH, at least it came with some extra brown tiles so I can make gOOse and dOnkO tokens for the incorrect browns. The production is otherwise fine and I like the choice between detailed and simple tracks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

I just finished yet another game of Hanabi with my wife. It is probably our most played game, and 90% of the games have been just the two of us. It is a good little game, especially once you accept that cheating makes it less fun.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

Aeon's End is a medium-light coop deckbuilder.

Quirky Circuits a light coop action programming game

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I will also Stan Shipwreck Arcana and Menara for low complexity coop games that feel unique

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Thank you for this.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

interrodactyl posted:

I mean, there's an entire family of Pandemic spinoffs to gently caress around with. I think Pandemic: Rising Tide and Pandemic: Fall of Rome have the best critical reception.

Sad thing is, though, most other co-ops in the Pandemic mold--stuff like Last Bastion or Yggdrasil or Forbidden Desert--are gonna feel like weak knockoffs without either a timer (Space Alert) or a really toothsome puzzle aspect (Spirit Island/Mage Knight) to add texture. You'll probably burn on them pretty quick, and you'd honestly be better off just buying Pandemic expansions at that point.

So here's a couple things that go entirely afield from that:

Codenames: Duet is a word association/communication game, and the best entry in the Codenames family by far. It's incredibly rules light, and I 100% promise you'll wonder if your partner is a space alien who came to earth yesterday. Absolutely a top pick, 100% suggest you grab this if nothing else.

The Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective series is a grip of murder mysteries in a box. Each case gives you a corpse, a broadsheet newspaper, a reference map of london, and a thick book of people to interrogate. There's no board. You grab a pen and a notebook, maybe a cup of tea if you're like that, and spend an evening lounging about on your sofas, quibbling back and forth about case details and possible leads. When you're ready, check the answer at the back, and score points based off how few leads you need to follow to get the correct answer. You're ideally trying to match or beat Sherlock's score at the end, but let's be real: Sherlock cheats like a motherfucker. Don't bother with that bit, it just pisses in the tea.

Quirky Circuits is a cute and twee bundle of 2-player programming minigames, kinda like a coop version or Robo Rally. You and your partner are responsible for programming a little robot to clean houses or plant flowers or assemble sushi. You get some cards with some very basic instructions: Turn left, walk forward, grab item, etc. And you put them together to Do a Thing. Problem is, you're each responsible for about half the program, you're drawing random cards each turn, and you can't talk about what you're doing. So you just gotta hope that your partner KNOWS that you want to turn left there, wait no, what are you doing, oh god it's everywhere. If you want Space Alert without the timer, this'll probably be your best fix.

Last, if you want to experience something that's still simple but really out there, I think everyone owes it to themselves to give three hours to Avery Alder's The Quiet Year at least once. It's a map drawing game about a doomed post-apocalyptic communities. It's more light, GM-less RPG storygame than board game. There's no formal win condition, just the ones you make for yourselves, and the End is inevitable. You have one fragile year of peace to build something, make something, do something, before everything is taken from you. And ftr, I'm not a roleplaying game kinda gal anymore. I burned out bad on D&D. But this game has been total lightning for everyone I've put it in front of, regardless of their tabletop background. Try it. There's a cheapo PDF version available if you don't wanna drop for the fancy version sight unseen. And also Avery Alder whips rear end in general and you should give her money.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

P: Rising Tide is good. Flooding doesn't take long to process, and the map's all shining with water cubes when you lose and drown the country. One annoyance is the setup with 50 dam pieces. But there are extra objectives you can use to give the game more replayability.

P: Fall of Rome has combat but it's quick, and the situation on the board is easy to keep track of. Then, you ignore one tribe for a turn and they spread out and pillage the gently caress out of everything :argh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What should I buy

Chinatown or Cartographers + The Crew: Quest for Planet 9

:nyoron:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Also thank you for the recommendation on Iberia.

Going to chat with another mate of mine and see if we can go halves in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Infinitum posted:

What should I buy

Chinatown or Cartographers + The Crew: Quest for Planet 9

:nyoron:

Extremely apples and oranges choice here. The gameplay of Chinatown is you blindly draw components that will generate points (tiles that must be placed together in a set, and deeds which you need to place said tiles on the shared map). That really is just putting your hand in a bag and then drawing a set number out. Then you haggle. The meat of the game is trading with other players. You can trade tiles, deeds, points, ownership of tiles already placed on the map. There is no turn order in this phase, or time limit, and the only rule for exchanges is it has to be mutually agreed upon, and I think promises for future trades aren't binding. There wasn't anything else like it before Sidereal Confluence came along, which is quite a lot like it but with more rules. To get the most out of Chinatown you need to enjoy the freeform trading, and have like, 3 other people minimum enjoy it too.
On the other hand, much more normal. Cartographers is a roll and write game. I've not played a lot of it, and I'm not massively excited for roll and write games, but it didn't seem awful. That means its real value is anywhere from ok to great, I couldn't tell. The Crew is a trick taking card game that I'm happy to say is actually great, though it's a tad easy at 3 players, and I've not touched the 2p variant.