Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eleventy billion deaths all because of comrade corbyn and his invention, covidunism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

happyhippy posted:

All the motorway stations if they were open atm.
200 miles with no piss or eating stop?
There could be a pic of Dom sitting in a Greggs munching on a sausage roll out there.

The govt would just say that is acceptable - heroic, even - because you are allowed to go out for food. There's nothing they can't get around, if he was spotted in Barnards Castle, he had stepped out for medication, as is right and proper.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

namesake posted:

So we're likely going to see the number of infections trending up in the coming week from the relaxation 2 weeks ago, right in the middle of the government continuing to defend Cummings obvious violation of the restrictions over a month ago and preparing to further loosen restrictions and open schools next Monday.

This is going to be a long week in politics, I really think something might obviously and probably permanently break because of it. Let's hope it's the Tory government.

Yeah

storm's comin

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

namesake posted:

So we're likely going to see the number of infections trending up in the coming week from the relaxation 2 weeks ago, right in the middle of the government continuing to defend Cummings obvious violation of the restrictions over a month ago and preparing to further loosen restrictions and open schools next Monday.

This is going to be a long week in politics, I really think something might obviously and probably permanently break because of it. Let's hope it's the Tory government.

probably a bit more likely to take 4 weeks for the deaths to start showing. new infections obvs wont showing cause we're still not doign any community testing almost 3 months into the pandemic

so expect a few weeks of the right wing saying that death figures are dropping even though lockdown has ended. probably rapidly followed by several attempts to stop recording deaths at all

tbh i think a second lockdown is pretty optimistic, i think we're gonna go back to normal except with shitloads more deaths

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
the government is playing an extremely risky game here, not for them mind you, but for us

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1264624316865527809?s=20

the replies are exactly what you'd expect

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/status/1243502208383168512?s=19

wholeheartedly endorse this

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean, things are extremely bad and I don't want to downplay that, but can you imagine the state we'd be in if that bastard Corbyn had won?

If this has happened under Corbyn, I legit think there'd have been some sort of coup by now, military or otherwise. It's unlikely much could have been done about the health service post-election, he'd have had fierce resistance to any kind of lockdown, supermarkets empty, thousands of people dying, etc? It would have been a horrorshow and he'd have been blamed for all of it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
May must be pissing herself laughing right now at Boris.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Answers Me posted:

If this has happened under Corbyn, I legit think there'd have been some sort of coup by now, military or otherwise. It's unlikely much could have been done about the health service post-election, he'd have had fierce resistance to any kind of lockdown, supermarkets empty, thousands of people dying, etc? It would have been a horrorshow and he'd have been blamed for all of it.

absolutely, obviously even

e: i hope he'd have done a better job, but there is a parallel

both bojo-cum and jezza would have been totally focussed on the new world they were shaping, and hoping the coronavirus wasnt real

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1264634124238716932?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NHSMillion/status/1264607743073226754

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/juliablunck1/status/1264633332572315648?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

lol cynical ghouls

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i think they're basically right

i hope they don't but if they hold their ground im pretty sure this will fall neatly on left-right culture war lines

the voters they've gotta watch are the tory grandparents who wanna see their grandkids

e: its really worth remembering that the right wing dont care about the media as much as the liberal-left do, and twitter opinion literally means nothing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JayJay08752584/status/1264624660542623755

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

i hope they don't but if they hold their ground im pretty sure this will fall neatly on left-right culture war lines

the voters they've gotta watch are the tory grandparents who wanna see their grandkids

if you read the article in the replies there are a lot of extremely hosed off tories

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...impression=true

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Cans in the woods were good, get involved.

Not been watching the news or anything for a bit, but even this permeated through the substrate. Bet by this time next week the country will be hosed

justcola fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 24, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

It absolutely worked for David Cameron but it's not the sort of trick you can roll out every time

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

if you read the article there are a lot of extremely hosed off tories

yeah i think this could go either way

im just erring on the side of pessimism coz the gov will do absolutely everything in their power to not fire cummings

mind you now there is no alternative anymore maybe the press feel like they can take down bojo without letting in the corbyns

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

probably a bit more likely to take 4 weeks for the deaths to start showing. new infections obvs wont showing cause we're still not doign any community testing almost 3 months into the pandemic

so expect a few weeks of the right wing saying that death figures are dropping even though lockdown has ended. probably rapidly followed by several attempts to stop recording deaths at all

tbh i think a second lockdown is pretty optimistic, i think we're gonna go back to normal except with shitloads more deaths

Budget airlines have already started promoting flights from the UK to Europe starting in early July so I assume their bosses have been told that things will be back to normal by then. Not sure if they're really expecting them to go ahead, or if the idea is to sell flights with "no coronavirus cancellation" clauses and keep some cash if they have to cancel, what a shame.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Budget airlines have already started promoting flights from the UK to Europe starting in early July so I assume their bosses have been told that things will be back to normal by then. Not sure if they're really expecting them to go ahead, or if the idea is to sell flights with "no coronavirus cancellation" clauses and keep some cash if they have to cancel, what a shame.

use the cash from selling those tickets to pay off the backlog of refunds from March / April / May
if July flights do end up getting cancelled it doesn't matter. the can has been kicked down the road. refund July customers with the next lot of bookings

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Does Cummings have evidence of Boris doing actual House of Cards level criminality or something? I don't get it at this point. Surely he could find some other adviser to do his job for him.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

That wifey needed to be more succinct. Like the dude at the end.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah

storm's cummings

ftfy

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

yeah i think this could go either way

im just erring on the side of pessimism coz the gov will do absolutely everything in their power to not fire cummings

mind you now there is no alternative anymore maybe the press feel like they can take down bojo without letting in the corbyns

Aye I suspect that last line might have truth to it, attacking the tories is one thing when jezza's lurking in the shadows ready to nationalize everyone's grandma, when it's Sir Haircut who could step in (And when the tories anyway have a massive thumping majority and a good 4 years before the next election even appears on the horizon) it's far safer to have a go.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

All the motorway stations if they were open atm.
200 miles with no piss or eating stop?
There could be a pic of Dom sitting in a Greggs munching on a sausage roll out there.

I love how skewed our perception of distance is on this tiny little island. London to Durham is 4 hours, 5 if you hit traffic. It's not exactly fun, but I've done that distance between breakfast and lunch.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I love how skewed our perception of distance is on this tiny little island. London to Durham is 4 hours, 5 if you hit traffic. It's not exactly fun, but I've done that distance between breakfast and lunch.

with a 4-year-old in the back?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

Maybe he did a Romney and kept the kid in a crate on the roof rack.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Marmaduke! posted:

It absolutely worked for David Cameron but it's not the sort of trick you can roll out every time

Difference this time is we're all in Dom Cum's position with kids we can't stand wanting to foist them off on the grandparents, but we were told it wasn't allowed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

sassassin posted:

Difference this time is we're all in Dom Cum's position with kids we can't stand wanting to foist them off on the grandparents, but we were told it wasn't allowed.

Well yeah but with Hameron we were all in his position of being horny for pigs, but we were told it wasn't allowed.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Julio Cruz posted:

No, that perk is only for members of the cabinet, not spads.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Remember to screengrab before posting, peeps.

In response to this assuming who posted that is fired.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1264617551411261441

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ms Adequate posted:

Well yeah but with Hameron we were all in his position of being horny for pigs, but we were told it wasn't allowed.

You gently caress pigs in a field, and they arrest you.
You gently caress pigs at Eton, and they make you PM.

It's one rule for one, one rule for the rest of us. :pseudo:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So this must all have to do with the fact that Johnson and the rest of the cabinet was aware of what Cummings was doing at the time, and at best tacitly endorsed it.

They've so far studiously ignored the questions about how much they knew, and when, while frantically painting what he did as heroic. They can't get him to resign, because they are all complicit. However, they also can't admit to knowing, because they are complicit.

My guess is that there will be some new revelation which will tip the scales towards sacking / resignation, and then there will be a desperate struggle for plausible deniability within the cabinet.

It may be that there IS no plausible deniability, for any of his actions, and then... Well, God knows.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

You gently caress pigs in a field, and they arrest you.
You gently caress pigs at Eton, and they make you PM.

It's one rule for one, one rule for the rest of us. :pseudo:

please please please, we shouldn't lower ourselves with incorrect gossip

he hosed the pig in oxford, not eton

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Aye I suspect that last line might have truth to it, attacking the tories is one thing when jezza's lurking in the shadows ready to nationalize everyone's grandma, when it's Sir Haircut who could step in (And when the tories anyway have a massive thumping majority and a good 4 years before the next election even appears on the horizon) it's far safer to have a go.

yeah exactly.

the coronavirus has kinda shown for anyone who was paying attention that the ruling class don't actually "rule" that much, so theres gonna be a scramble for power
it must honestly be such a relief to not have anyone pointing out those contradictions or challenging the ruling class's power. cause they do genuinely think if they didnt run the place with their oxbridge honed intellects there would be blood in the streets. corbyn was obviously more or less drawn from that class but he was a traitor

drat... the UK is pretty depressing right now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For some reason I've now got the combined concepts of dominic cummings driving to durham and this (:nws:) stuck in my head.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

#CumGate2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm pretty out of the loop

Is this story really as big a deal as it seems right now based on the thread?

I didn't think people would be that mad about DomCum flouting the guidelines, I thought loads of people were already doing that anyway