Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Hmm I should definitely compare costs against a string inverter setup, my roof should not suffer any shade at all really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Beffer posted:

I have a 6kw system with Enphase microinverters. It works very well but the microinverters hugely increased the cost and they were only necessary because my roof gets a lot of shade. The microinverters allow each panel to operate independently so that if one is affected by shade it doesn’t reduce the efficiency of the whole system. But without the shade problem they would have been unnecessary and it would all have been much cheaper.

Do you mind if I asked what your $/watt came out to?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Lou Takki posted:

Yeah they don't want me to go above 99% which isn't really a big deal I suppose.

Total cost is about$3.10 per watt after federal incentives, seems reasonable to me?

tesla's 3.78kW system is $7770 after the fed tax credit, or $2.06/W

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MightyBigMinus posted:

tesla's 3.78kW system is $7770 after the fed tax credit, or $2.06/W

Which is a great price for sure but that's not including install right? Just the hardware alone?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

screenshot attached

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Can you buy panel installs from tesla? They used to only do leased panels.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lou Takki posted:

Do you mind if I asked what your $/watt came out to?

The total cost of the system three years ago was AUD16,000. I got a 4000 rebate from the govt. Net cost AUD2/watt.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

Can you buy panel installs from tesla? They used to only do leased panels.

no i photoshopped it

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tesla doesn't actually make panels, they use Panasonic solar modules. I've heard only bad things from people who tried to buy Tesla solar and/or storage systems, they don't have a good reputation in the industry.

Also, a system at more than $4.00/watt before ITC incentives is a really high price. $3.50 is even a high price unless you're getting a ton of addons with a small system. I rarely still systems for more than $3.25, and that's in California where everything is expensive.

FYI, string inverter setups are going up in cost to be closer to microinverters with new safety requirements to have module-level rapid shutdown instead of meter-level rapid shutdown.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MightyBigMinus posted:

screenshot attached

Don't if its the roof type. Tesla solar roofs are a long demo in shoddy workmanship.

They also had issues where they were installed so badly they caught a Walmart roof on fire

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

$3.10 per watt after incentives seems high? I guess it depends on the state you're in, though.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wibla posted:

$3.10 per watt after incentives seems high? I guess it depends on the state you're in, though.

In Virginia, the solar sites are tellling me 2.90-3.30 per watt installed after incentives is pretty average for my region. Not sure what drives those costs tho.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/OskaArcher/status/1262898274744315905?s=20

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

That was my biggest issue with the original GND so it's basically pretty good now.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

My feels is if the green movement can't help support the development, knocking down of hurdles and general roll out of a serious nuclear expansion, they don't think climate change is all that serious either. Obviously the green movement is a big house and GND is only a part of it but I have to think they are thought leaders and this could be the beginning or portent of greater embracement of nuclear* by the broader green movement.

*In combination with other improving technologies such as wind/solar/storage/etc because for nuclear to have done all the heavy lifting (if even possible), it need nurturing and support from the 70's/80's.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 20, 2020

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Not sure if this is based off the NREL design from Feb or is Gamesa's internal R&D.

Siemens Gamesa launches 14MW offshore wind turbine

quote:

With a 222m-diameter rotor and 108m-long blades, the new wind turbine is claimed to have the capacity to offset 1.4 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions.

Biggest rotor on land right now is 155m. :eyepop:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rime posted:

Not sure if this is based off the NREL design from Feb or is Gamesa's internal R&D.

Siemens Gamesa launches 14MW offshore wind turbine

Biggest rotor on land right now is 155m. :eyepop:

That is so cool.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

sometimes when I get really high I imagine half the navy's budget and manpower re-directed into an offshore wind build-out

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That is so cool.

Big fans tends to make it so.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Zudgemud posted:

Big fans tends to make it so.

Wind turbines can actually make the area near them warmer due to induced turbulence. It's usually a warmer at night and cooler during the day effect.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hearing surprisingly little about this one:

Ohio Nuclear Power Scandal

quote:

The U.S. Attorney’s Office and FBI this week charged the speaker of the Ohio House of Representative and four others in a $61 million scheme to use $1 billion in ratepayers money to keep two decrepit nuclear power plants operating.

quote:

FirstEnergy Corp., whose former subsidiaries owned the Davis-Besse nuclear power plant 21 miles from Toledo and the Perry nuclear power plant 40 miles from Cleveland, funneled “dark money,” he said, through a social welfare non-profit corporation to help Larry Householder become speaker of the Ohio House and get other legislators elected. Together, they then got a $1 billion bailout passed that places a fee on every electricity bill in the state through 2026 for the plants.

Arrested with Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder was former Ohio Republican Chairman Matt Borges, lobbyists Neil Clerk and Juan Cespedes and political consultant Jeff Longstreth.

Quite the wild ride, setting aside the anti-nuclear nutjob rhetoric in the middle. :eyepop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rime posted:

Hearing surprisingly little about this one:

Ohio Nuclear Power Scandal

Quite the wild ride, setting aside the anti-nuclear nutjob rhetoric in the middle. :eyepop:

It also was tied to keeping Coal plants in operation and anti-renewables.

But yeah, its pretty hosed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

quote:

Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder

He was just trying to live up to his name, okay?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Windmill question. Why do windmills, located in the same grouping, have so much variation in rpm? I'd think differing wind speeds, but they are about as close together as they can get, so that doesn't make much sense.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Windmill question. Why do windmills, located in the same grouping, have so much variation in rpm? I'd think differing wind speeds, but they are about as close together as they can get, so that doesn't make much sense.

Wind speeds are not universal across a chunk of land, turbulence, and angle into the wind, angle of attack of the blades, they are all factors. There's enough variance in it that two turbines adjacent to each other will not spin the same speeds.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Kinda surprised to see nothing here about Three Gorges, which even the CCP is now admitting has "deformed" under simply enormous quantities of rainfall.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/three-gorges-dam-under-fast-mounting-flood-pressure/
https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/three-gorges-dam-deformed-but-safe-say-operators/

If this thing goes, it's 2% of China's electrical capacity gone, and that doesn't even touch on the millions of deaths, disruption to food supplies and supply chains, subsequent disease and starvation, etc. A humanitarian disaster of that magnitude hasn't been seen in our lifetimes.

Informative thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1287836332883050498.html

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Phanatic posted:

Kinda surprised to see nothing here about Three Gorges, which even the CCP is now admitting has "deformed" under simply enormous quantities of rainfall.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/three-gorges-dam-under-fast-mounting-flood-pressure/

If this thing goes, it's 2% of China's electrical capacity gone, and that doesn't even touch on the millions of deaths, disruption to food supplies and supply chains, subsequent disease and starvation, etc. A humanitarian disaster of that magnitude hasn't been seen in our lifetimes.

It's mostly sensationalist reporting traced back to a story originally posted by crazy cultists.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

I don't see any evidence of any actual problems, just speculation. Dumping water now to make room for more expected runoff is pretty SOP for dams.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ilkhan posted:

You be amazed at how much wind speeds vary with a few hundred meters difference. Wind is not a static wall of force, it is much like how the current in a river will eddy and vary across the span of the flow.

Also the big rotors cut in at, like, 3m/s, which is so light you'd barely notice it on your face so the variation is even more pronounced. Most turbines cut out the generator for overspeed protection and transition to freewheeling when the wind reaches speeds you'd find "strong" at ground level. A wind farm is most profitable somewhere with consistent moderate speed winds, too windy too often and you make as little money as somewhere with very little or inconsistent winds.

Also, aside to the posts above, the Three Gorges Dam stuff is some conspiracy bullshit which has only gained traction because it appeals to casual racists with a real hate boner to see half the population of China wiped out and who love the jingoistic idea that China can't build anything good. From a structural engineering standpoint it's pretty obviously loving idiotic.

Hell, just knowing that the story started based on some Google Earth imagery showing "warping" which was obviously a stitching error should be enough for anyone with a functioning brain to write it off, but it's feeding right into the fervent anti-china rhetoric right now so people are eating it up.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
In exciting local news, the United Arab Emirates now has a functioning nuclear reactor. One of the four reactors is now online at the Barakah nuclear plant.

[url[https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53619916[/url]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barakah_nuclear_power_plant

The wikipedia says the nameplate activity is 5380 MW after completion.

Would anyone mind helping me with the math of what the different units mean? I'm trying to figure out what % of the national power output that will cover once it's fully operational. For example, the largest city (Dubai) has a total energy use in 2019 of 40,000 Gigawatt hours. When this reactor is fully operational at it's 5380mw, what % of the city electrical output could it cover?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Gstu posted:

In exciting local news, the United Arab Emirates now has a functioning nuclear reactor. One of the four reactors is now online at the Barakah nuclear plant.

Would anyone mind helping me with the math of what the different units mean? I'm trying to figure out what % of the national power output that will cover once it's fully operational. For example, the largest city (Dubai) has a total energy use in 2019 of 40,000 Gigawatt hours. When this reactor is fully operational at it's 5380mw, what % of the city electrical output could it cover?

1,000 megawatts in a gigawatt and 8760 hours in a year. 40000/8760 = 4.566 Gigawatts needed per hour; 4.566*1000 = 4566 Megawatts needed per hour. 5380/4566 = 117% of the power needed on average in Dubai.

Remember that those power needs aren't constant so sometimes it'll be more than 117% and sometimes it'll be less. Also remember that your power metric may not be for the Dubai metro area but simply anything that falls within the legal construct of Dubai.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

1,000 megawatts in a gigawatt and 8760 hours in a year. 40000/8760 = 4.566 Gigawatts needed per hour; 4.566*1000 = 4566 Megawatts needed per hour. 5380/4566 = 117% of the power needed on average in Dubai.

Remember that those power needs aren't constant so sometimes it'll be more than 117% and sometimes it'll be less. Also remember that your power metric may not be for the Dubai metro area but simply anything that falls within the legal construct of Dubai.

Gigawatt per hour makes no sense as a unit. One Gigawatt hour is 1GW*1h i.e. a 1GW unit running for an hour.

You mean average use is 4.566 GWh per h i.e. 4.566GW

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its worth noting that at least one of the reactors on average will be down for maintenance and refueling every year.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

suck my woke dick posted:

Gigawatt per hour makes no sense as a unit. One Gigawatt hour is 1GW*1h i.e. a 1GW unit running for an hour.

You mean average use is 4.566 GWh per h i.e. 4.566GW

So does that change the calculation at all or are you just upset at my casual use of the word "per"?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So does that change the calculation at all or are you just upset at my casual use of the word "per"?

"per" means "divided by" so its use is not casual in this case, it is incorrect.

Miles per hour measures a different quantity than miles.

Your calculation is correct, otherwise.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nvm this is too dumb to argue about

Kalman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 1, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kalman posted:

“Per” can also be used to mean “for each”, which is the sense they (correctly) used it in - X gigawatts of nameplate needed per (for each) hour.

If you’re going to be a pedant, get your pedantry right.

The OP didn't calculate GW needed per hour though, they calculated GW hours needed per hour. So the other poster was correct, GW is the unit that would be used.

And correct units are not just pedantry, they're hugely important

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Gstu posted:

Can't wait for the UAE to pull an India and figure out some way to cook the fuel up to weapons grade. I'm sure this'll end wonderfully.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Rime posted:

Can't wait for the UAE to pull an India and figure out some way to cook the fuel up to weapons grade. I'm sure this'll end wonderfully.
If they wanted that they could just buy some from Pakistan, I’m sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Thanks! The generator itself isn't even in the Emirate of Dubai (it's a fair bit west of the city part of Abu Dhabi), but I just figured that was a good starting point for wrapping my head around how much power this would (in theory) be outputting. There's also some ambitious solar projects happening in the country, which is kind of cool to see out in the middle of the desert.