Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vesi posted:

I thought it was perfect (like Inland Empire!) although with the slow update pace it's hard to keep track of the early details, like the author says in the end it's probably best enjoyed reading twice, maybe I'll do that in a few years. She obviously had the whole story mapped out before starting.

It's just, there's SO MANY unanswered questions, some of which are quite important. Just off the top of my head:

- What's the true identity of the dying creature in the tower? Why did it know Flare's real name?
- Where did the original snake in the canal come from?
- Was Flare dead or not? Aimi's hand regenerating seems to suggest Flare's body did the same and she was alive, but it was never confirmed.
- Why did Flare's sister explode when she entered the real world? Why was the creature that took her body seemingly helping Flare break out of the time loop?
- Perhaps most importantly since it's part of the title, what's up with Aimi/Flare's closet? Is it a portal somehow? How was she time travelling with it?

I'm definitely gonna need to do a re-read but I have a feeling this is just the kind of story that's meant to have unanswered questions.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Usogui just finished Air Poker gamble and what a gamble it is. While there was a lot of stuff that I couldn't reasonably follow and sometimes even try to guess but it's full of incredible character moments. In general Kaiser arc feels like gambles are slightly worse but story and character development is just top notch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ugusername posted:

. In general Kaiser arc feels like gambles are slightly worse but story and character development is just top notch.

Yup, exactly how I felt about it too.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

RatHat posted:

I'm definitely gonna need to do a re-read but I have a feeling this is just the kind of story that's meant to have unanswered questions.

Yeah, I feel that way as well. I also need to do a re-read because I completely forgot all the character’s names but I think we’re supposed to be left in the dark about the aliens and planet just like the characters are. It adds to the surreal creepiness of the story too.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
in wakusei closet, it seems like they failed to escape the time loop in the end. i think the scalloptopusses were converting people on their side into more of them, but you get kind of corrupted? but also they have babies? i'm not sure what caused the loop, the aliens were aware of it at least. or where the loop begins and ends. neat little story despite the ambiguity though

Relin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 18, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ugusername posted:

Usogui just finished Air Poker gamble and what a gamble it is. While there was a lot of stuff that I couldn't reasonably follow and sometimes even try to guess but it's full of incredible character moments. In general Kaiser arc feels like gambles are slightly worse but story and character development is just top notch.

Ok, I have read Usogui until the end of the hangman "gamble" and it has been, until that point, complete and utter crap (and uninteresting to boot). Does this poo poo actually get better or is this some sort of goon joke?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, it's like a 75 chapter slog but then you have a whole 400 good ones to go

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Like, that's good to hear because, honestly until now this has been one of the worst things I've read, and I've read Terra Formars and Wolf Dude.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

trucutru posted:

Like, that's good to hear because, honestly until now this has been one of the worst things I've read, and I've read Terra Formars and Wolf Dude.

That has to be some kind of weird hyperbolization. Like I can see how it is not for everyone but even mentioning it in one sentence with wolf guy is a bit too much even that rough start.

For what it worth I started enjoying Usogui a lot more when I accepted gambles more as a devices for character development and fun situations than legit puzzles.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is Usogui the only "sinister high-stakes gambling" manga currently active? I really enjoyed One Outs, Liar Game, and Gambling Emperor Zero but it's hard to find more like them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

High stakes Gambling is an entire sub genre now.
Though most tend to have a really boring MC and generic supporting cast. Usogui is partly great because of the jojo-esque insanity of the world.

Alwo ones involving female characters tend to be overly horny for no good reason? I unno

Read Kaiji.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They're horny because it sells and most of them run in gravure mags anyway. Kaiji runs in a pinup mag for example.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I read them for the sad triangle man I swear

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

Ok, I have read Usogui until the end of the hangman "gamble" and it has been, until that point, complete and utter crap (and uninteresting to boot). Does this poo poo actually get better or is this some sort of goon joke?

While I enjoy Usogui, it definitely has some of the dumbest "tricks" used in its gambles. Like the camera eyes in the hangman one you mention, or the guy who has synesthesia that lets him detect the locations of everyone in a labyrinth by listening to pipes.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Though most tend to have a really boring MC and generic supporting cast. Usogui is partly great because of the jojo-esque insanity of the world.

Usogui benefits from (at least up until the point I'm at) having the sidekick character do things other than "comment on how awesome the main gambler guy/girl is."

I consider the "high stakes gambling" genre to be a subgenre of the "death games" genre (some of which include gambling alongside other games/competitions). Probably the best representative of the genre is Kami-sama no Iu Toori.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I feel like for Usogui, you need to be invested in the metagame of "actually getting away with your winnings", and that doesn't really do it for me. It makes the actual gamble feel less important to me when it's going to inevitably just boil down into violence or threatened violence. Also it doesn't let you in the heads of the people who are actively gambling enough--in Kaiji you'll pretty much always be getting the direct thoughts of Kaiji (and often his opponent!) up until he makes the final realization he needs to pull out the win, and that's a lot more satisfying to me than having it be a mystery until the gamble is over, and then recapping the entire game.

Read Kaiji.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like that point of Usogui though
At the end of the day theyre only gambles and its only through Kakerou that the results stick. Not all Kakerou gambles are death gambles.

When you have a powerful person willing to use violence involved in a bet, what guarantees they keep their word?

Kaiji also has a different aim, and spends a really long time in the actual games.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
After rereading it a while back I felt that Usogui tried hard to be a "gambling" manga and failed at it and then just went bonkers with it Jojo style like someone mentioned. Like it's not really a "gambling" manga right now imo. Gambles are often nonsensical and explained backwards but it's not the point. The point is in interaction between characters and movement of overarching plot. And character development is really good. There was absolutely new cop dude introduced long into the story who annoyed me at start and then in a span of one arc I was rooting for him with all of my heart. Kaiji is great, all the referees are great, even main characters are starting to become really cool as the mystery starts opening up. It really is my jam at the moment. But it is fair to put it down if you want actual gambling.

Kaiiji is awesome but it wears me down so much.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ytlaya posted:

While I enjoy Usogui, it definitely has some of the dumbest "tricks" used in its gambles. Like the camera eyes in the hangman one you mention, or the guy who has synesthesia that lets him detect the locations of everyone in a labyrinth by listening to pipes.

Usogui benefits from (at least up until the point I'm at) having the sidekick character do things other than "comment on how awesome the main gambler guy/girl is."

I consider the "high stakes gambling" genre to be a subgenre of the "death games" genre (some of which include gambling alongside other games/competitions). Probably the best representative of the genre is Kami-sama no Iu Toori.
Kamisama was pretty unbelievably hype for the first part. I'd forgotten about it but those first 15 or so chapters were just bananas. (the rest is still fine, but the beginning is just insane, seriously a must-read)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Alwo ones involving female characters tend to be overly horny for no good reason? I unno

Read Kaiji.
It's for sure a sub genre (and yes I've read every Fukumoto!!), but ever since Liar Game ended I'm not aware of any new ones. There was a period where Liar Game, Kami-sama, Usogui, and maybe a few others were all running concurrently and I just don't know of any now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 26, 2020

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There's a whole ongoing monthly anthology entirely filled with series about mahjong, but I'm only aware of one series that's getting English translations, and it's mostly about food.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess i'm more on the death game side of things since i want them to have arcs doing different stuff rather than always one thing (tons of mahjong manga, yeah)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Usogui is... ok. I've been keeping up with it. Awesome artwork, some good buildup stuff but there's a lot of problematic translations and throwaway characters etc that kinda muddle it so I don't like it quite as much as the rest of the thread. The ending of the most recent arc was pretty drat good though.

In the genre I think I still like Liar Game and One Outs a good bit more than Usogui fwiw.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Like one of the big developments of the usogui arc just done is the side character who usually talks about how awesome the MC is is jealous of the person who he's competing against

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
why not just read yugioh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a man can only read yugioh so many times in a given period

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want more manga like the aforementioned Kami-sama no Iu Toori where the protagonist is all horned up about the feeling of imminent death and there's a psychopath guy who is all horned up for him who receives far more focus than the actual female love interest.

There's also some other death game manga with someone dressed as a bunny (forget the premise here), and another one where the love interest has telekinetic control over chains. Forget what those are called. I'm pretty sure the latter is still ongoing; I need to look that up and read the latest content.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

I want more manga like the aforementioned Kami-sama no Iu Toori where the protagonist is all horned up about the feeling of imminent death and there's a psychopath guy who is all horned up for him who receives far more focus than the actual female love interest.

There's also some other death game manga with someone dressed as a bunny (forget the premise here), and another one where the love interest has telekinetic control over chains. Forget what those are called. I'm pretty sure the latter is still ongoing; I need to look that up and read the latest content.

The latter is Darwin’s Game, it’s pretty solid. The only horniness is on the chapter title pages(though some of them are pretty creepy).

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ytlaya posted:

Could you be thinking of JUNI TAISEN: ZODIAC WAR? It has a guy with bunny ears who is also a psycho killer.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Could you be thinking of JUNI TAISEN: ZODIAC WAR? It has a guy with bunny ears who is also a psycho killer.
What a waste of time that anime turned out to be.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Brought To You By posted:

What a waste of time that anime turned out to be.

I just read the manga, and I still don't get what the entire purpose of it was. It had some interesting ideas, but didn't really go anywhere I felt had value.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

I just read the manga, and I still don't get what the entire purpose of it was. It had some interesting ideas, but didn't really go anywhere I felt had value.

I think the purpose was the spectacle of the whole event. I enjoy a good battle royale, but it's a pain that the genre doesn't really manage to exceed the originator in most cases. Nothing really landed well for Juuni Taisen; the characters are too thin to be engaging, fights are very brief and generally anti-climactic, and in the end the winner was revealed to have had it in the bag the whole time given his ability. Nobody was trying to buck the system, and Rabbit in particular was just an annoyance once you got bast the otherwise nice first episode. I wish I'd know there was a manga, I'd have spent an afternoon reading that instead of a few months waiting for each episode hoping it gets good.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Brought To You By posted:

I think the purpose was the spectacle of the whole event. I enjoy a good battle royale, but it's a pain that the genre doesn't really manage to exceed the originator in most cases. Nothing really landed well for Juuni Taisen; the characters are too thin to be engaging, fights are very brief and generally anti-climactic, and in the end the winner was revealed to have had it in the bag the whole time given his ability. Nobody was trying to buck the system, and Rabbit in particular was just an annoyance once you got bast the otherwise nice first episode. I wish I'd know there was a manga, I'd have spent an afternoon reading that instead of a few months waiting for each episode hoping it gets good.

I always check for a manga when I find an anime I want to watch. Saves me time and usually get more story too.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

So I'm probably the last to learn of this but Teppu's mangaka is doing a spin off of Parasyte and ten days ago someone started to translate it.

Haven't started to read it yet but I really like Iwaaki Hitoshi's work and Teppu was great so I got high hopes.

https://mangadex.org/title/29740/parasyte-reversi

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
.....huh

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

After Teppu ended Moare started a spin off to Hitoshi's Parasyte.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

A new chapters of Shuumatsu no Valkyrie.

Raiden isn't doing sumo yet. Possibly about to do a Kamehameha.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The fact that this sumo guy can keep up in a contest of strength against one of the major gods really makes me feel that my boy Lü Bu got done dirty.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lu Bu got worfed plain and simple.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, wow. I really want to see how the Buddha fights now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hypocrisy posted:

The drop kick opening move (after setting up a traditional sumo stance etc) was fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

I guess we now know why Raiden was never recognized in the Sumo community if he keeps dropkicking people.

Love the 4 armed block from Shiva.