Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've got a lance of Stalkers because for some reason they're the only assaults showing up.

It could be worse :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Siegebreaker build stalkers are the funnest stalkers. Max srms and pulses

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stravag posted:

Siegebreaker build stalkers are the funnest stalkers. Max srms and pulses

I made two of them that and ran out of heat sinks lol.

I'm not actually seeing all that many new mechs in 3054 in the middle of house territory. I've seen a few and some new models of mechs but really not much, it's a little disappointing. I've seen a billion stingers and wasps though and of course crusaders.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 23, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Once you have access to the black market, you get flooded with ++/+++ gear. It takes away any excitement. And I don't know about you, becoming friendly enough with the pirates for the buy-in discount has been consistently much easier for me than getting to an alliance for the faction stores.
I get excited when I see good stuff in the black market. Because I've seen so much meh stuff in there :v: The desire sensor on the RNG is real. I'm 900 days in on campaign and I've only seen 1 SRM ++ in there and it was the STB damage version. Most of what I've gotten out of there has been gyro's and Large Lasers.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I really must try a Pirate run. I've always used them as a handy punching bag in previous playthroughs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Deptfordx posted:

I really must try a Pirate run. I've always used them as a handy punching bag in previous playthroughs.

That's what the local governments are for. :v:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm a long ways away from the Clans (by my timeline, Kurita is just now putting the screws to Jaime Wolf) but I plan to be up coreward when they first come, maybe a few years earlier to pirate it around with Oberon.

Are there any flashpoint mods that add battles/campaigns from the 4th Succession War, War of 3039, or other timeline goodness?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anyone playing BEXCE, have you figured out how to win the Fighting Ghosts FP? You have an Assassin-21 (the one that can't actually hurt anything), Shadow Hawk 2H (it says it's a 2d, it's lying), a Wolverine 6R, and a Rifleman, against three lances, 8 heavies, 2 mediums, 2 lights, all elite 10/10/10/10 pilots. Only two buildings can die before you lose, you have ten rounds to survive, reinforcements show up round 2.

That's just impossible, right? Either you multi-target and the eight heavies obliterate you, or you don't, and you lose before the second turn is over.

e: Apparently it's supposed to have custom mechs, so I guess the BEXCE FP is just broken. It also will occasionally just load the wrong mission, judging from bug reports. Sure glad I spent half my campaign building up to try that lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 23, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the fighting ghosts thing is a standalone series of Grey Death Legion flashpoint re-enactments? I've seen them on Nexusmods/seen them pop in my 3062 campaign, but I hadn't tried the actual missions myself yet.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
In BEXCE, are enemy vehicles supposed to be much rarer later in the timeline?

I started a game in 3049 and after 10+ hours, all I've ever fought are Mechs and occasionally turrets.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
There's absolutely a 5 skull target acquisition in clan space with a base that pumps out 2 Demolishers per turn.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are there any general recommendations on Heavy/Assault mechs worth holding onto or what should be sold immediately? It's hard to tell just from the salvage list what's worth grabbing or not, and with expensive parts I don't want to sink millions of credits towards something that's not going to be worth it (unless money becomes extremely plentiful later in the game. My Mediums (and light) are still holding up just fine so I'm not rushing to replace them, but I think I'm at the point in the game when I can start (slowly) buying heavy/assault parts once every so often.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Someone really needs to put together a proper tier list, or at least a comprehensive guide about why they're good or bad.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PageMaster posted:

Are there any general recommendations on Heavy/Assault mechs worth holding onto or what should be sold immediately? It's hard to tell just from the salvage list what's worth grabbing or not, and with expensive parts I don't want to sink millions of credits towards something that's not going to be worth it (unless money becomes extremely plentiful later in the game. My Mediums (and light) are still holding up just fine so I'm not rushing to replace them, but I think I'm at the point in the game when I can start (slowly) buying heavy/assault parts once every so often.

The suck list: Dragon, Quickdraw, Victor, Zeus. All of those are strictly worse than the top mechs of the previous weight class. Cyclops HQ is also on the suck list because it doesn't have the tonnage to be usable and the bonus isn't good enough to make up for bringing an ineffective mech.

Semi-suck list: Jager, Rifleman, Catapult K, Battlemaster, Cyclops Z. Those are like, usable if you get them and don't have other better mechs to use. A Jagermech is traditionally everyone's first heavy because it's the first one you see in the campaign and they're pretty common. If you salvage it early it's nice, but you shouldn't spend money on one.

The Banshee (non-S): gets its own entry because it's very much on the suck list, unless you have mods to turn it into a max-armor punchbot.

IMO buying mech parts is better for finishing a partially-complete mech you have already picked some pieces up for in salvage. Or at least, if you buy mech parts 'on spec' you want them to be for the best mechs (ie 75-ton heavies, good assaults). Otherwise you might as well buy a complete mech.

PMush Perfect posted:

Someone really needs to put together a proper tier list, or at least a comprehensive guide about why they're good or bad.

People have. But we get disagreements on playstyle, and what exactly the definition of "worst" is.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 24, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

PMush Perfect posted:

Guess I'll give it a shot.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Klyith posted:

Semi-suck list: Jager, Rifleman, Catapult K, Battlemaster, Cyclops Z. Those are like, usable if you get them and don't have other better mechs to use. A Jagermech is traditionally everyone's first heavy because it's the first one you see in the campaign and they're pretty common. If you salvage it early it's nice, but you shouldn't spend money on one.

One of the Jagermechs variants has more missile racks than most other heavy mechs, making it a decent fire support unit.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

The suck list: Dragon, Quickdraw, Victor, Zeus. All of those are strictly worse than the top mechs of the previous weight class. Cyclops HQ is also on the suck list because it doesn't have the tonnage to be usable and the bonus isn't good enough to make up for bringing an ineffective mech.

The Banshee (non-S): gets its own entry because it's very much on the suck list, unless you have mods to turn it into a max-armor punchbot.

IMO buying mech parts is better for finishing a partially-complete mech you have already picked some pieces up for in salvage. Or at least, if you buy mech parts 'on spec' you want them to be for the best mechs (ie 75-ton heavies, good assaults). Otherwise you might as well buy a complete mech.

People have. But we get disagreements on playstyle, and what exactly the definition of "worst" is.

Thanks, saved me from a Victor part buy. I can leave the rest of the money in the bank for now until I start seeing more salvage options.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Google 'battletech one chart'.

Then you want to look at the 'Usable @ max half-ton armor' column to see which mechs in a weight category can carry the biggest payload. Anything with a 60 base heatsink is a SLDF mech that's better than the default variants, but you can only find them and their parts in the Black Market or as Flashpoint rewards.

Beyond just usable tonnage, the best mechs either have a lot of support weapon slots because those are the most weight efficient weapons, ignore evasion, and fire during melee attacks, or they have special quirks. Quirks range from cute to brokenly powerful, i. e. Marauder. Another rule of thumb is that the heavier mechs in a weight class are better the the lighter ones. The lightest mechs of a weight class tend to be worst than the heaviest of the class above them, i.e. 35t > 40t, 55t > 60t, etc.

So for heavy mechs:

Marauder 3R: doubles your chance to make headshots. With the right pilot and weapons, the game ceases to be any challenge. There's an SLDF variant too.
Grasshopper: Load up with ++ machine guns and medium lasers, sprint/jump into rear arcs and delete mechs, or just punch them dead.
Warhammer 6D: extra energy weapon damage, put ++ snub PPCs and/or ERMLs on it and just punch through the center torso. Also has an SLDF variant available.
Archer 2S: The best SRM boat, more stab damage than anything else.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You can tell whether a tier list is good or not based on where it places the Firestarter. If the list puts the Firestarter with all the other light 'Mechs it's a bad list. If it places it in the top tier with the Annihilator and the Marauder it's a good list.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Hahaha drat i got the energy marauder which apparently has a different quirk because it's just 10% more damage on called shots--i thought it was the same across all variants! I was wondering why everyone though an extra 10% more damage was a big issue haha.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's the same quirk; Marauders also provide 10% damage resistance to all friendly units. Or you may be using a mod?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The wargear's the same between all Marauder types unless you're playing with a mod.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Huh maybe i'm not reading it right but i have 2 of them and i've read the description multiple times and it only says 'increases called shot damage by 10%'. I'm not using any mods but maybe the description is cut off or something.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Taerkar posted:

One of the Jagermechs variants has more missile racks than most other heavy mechs, making it a decent fire support unit.

Also if you have the DLC, the stock jagermech is an affordable, available early chassis capable of carrying 4*LB2-X++ autocannons (with tonnage left over for a LL or some jump jets) which allows you to do terrifying levels of sandpapering to enemy Mechs, and that becomes obscene with a good called shot or if you get in a rear arc.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Huh, I found a Medium Laser -.

-2 to acc.

Even the flavor text talks about how poo poo the Argra 27 C is.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I love combing SLDF Incoming with Mission Control.

Just had an epic slugging match of a convoy destruction mission against 7 heavy vehicles and 9 mechs, with an allied pirate lance including an SLDF Black Knight and an ECM Cataphract. With that many enemies, the short range of MLs and SRMs really becomes a noticeable drawback. My Archer lost a side with three top end weapons, and my Grasshopper had some structural damage, so I had to draw both of them back. My longer ranged mechs were out of ammo or down to their last couple of shots at the end.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Taerkar posted:

Breetai posted:

Also if you have the DLC, the stock jagermech is an affordable, available early chassis capable of carrying 4*LB2-X++ autocannons (with tonnage left over for a LL or some jump jets) which allows you to do terrifying levels of sandpapering to enemy Mechs, and that becomes obscene with a good called shot or if you get in a rear arc.

The point of the semi-suck list isn't that they're terrible mechs, it's that they're not particularly good. A quad LBX jager is cool if you've already got 4 LBX-2s, but it's the guns that are the cool part. A catapult K2 is cool if you put 4 ++ Snub PPCs on it.

4 missile slots on the Jager A isn't very useful for fire support when you can't fit more than 3 LRM15s with enough ammo and heatsinks to get even close to sustainable fire. So add the Catapult C4 to my semi-suck list with the Jager A in that case, they're the same thing. Personally I'd rather have the good old Catapult C1, because selling out on pure LRM boating is a thing that's done me wrong.

Anyways this is what I meant when I said tier lists mostly just leads to arguments based on personal preferences. Or Cospiratorialist coming in with some Damage divided by (Weight*Heat-√Range/π²) formula that shows why he's Objectively Correct. ;)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Is the Longbow the uber-missile boat? I can't think of a heavier Mech that would be in the game with as many missile slots but I'm not up on all the obscure ones. Basically, is there a missile equivalent of an Annihilator?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Klyith posted:

The point of the semi-suck list isn't that they're terrible mechs, it's that they're not particularly good. A quad LBX jager is cool if you've already got 4 LBX-2s, but it's the guns that are the cool part. A catapult K2 is cool if you put 4 ++ Snub PPCs on it.

4 missile slots on the Jager A isn't very useful for fire support when you can't fit more than 3 LRM15s with enough ammo and heatsinks to get even close to sustainable fire. So add the Catapult C4 to my semi-suck list with the Jager A in that case, they're the same thing. Personally I'd rather have the good old Catapult C1, because selling out on pure LRM boating is a thing that's done me wrong.

Anyways this is what I meant when I said tier lists mostly just leads to arguments based on personal preferences. Or Cospiratorialist coming in with some Damage divided by (Weight*Heat-√Range/π²) formula that shows why he's Objectively Correct. ;)

JM6-A and CPLT-C4 aren't any better as LRM boats than any heavy with 2+ M hardpoints (because 2xLRM20 is the optimal), but fitting 4xSRM6 kicks rear end.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GD_American posted:

is there a missile equivalent of an Annihilator?

Yes, but it's a Clan 'Mech.

The Kraken 3 is a 100-tonner with 8 Clan LRM-15s. The Kraken's a crazy boat in all of its configurations, though, the standard version has 10 UAC/2s.

In later eras, the Inner Sphere gets the Viking which is basically a 90 ton Stalker. It's got 2 LRM-20s and 2 LRM-15s, beating out the 80 ton Salamander's 3 LRM-20s.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 25, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, but it's a Clan 'Mech.

The Kraken 3 is a 100-tonner with 8 Clan LRM-15s. The Kraken's a crazy boat in all of its configurations, though, the standard version has 10 UAC/2s.

In later eras, the Inner Sphere gets the Viking which is basically a 90 ton Stalker. It's got 2 LRM-20s and 2 LRM-15s, beating out the 80 ton Salamander's 3 LRM-20s.

?

Longbow is pre-Star League, even.

You thinking of the Naga?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The "yes"was in response to the "is there a missile Annihilator?" (It's the Kraken 3)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

The "yes"was in response to the "is there a missile Annihilator?" (It's the Kraken 3)

D'oh!

Misread.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Looking at sarna and absolutely refusing to believe that the Kraken doesn't just fall over backwards

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Longbow is in mods, and seeing an AI-controlled Flea of some sort of saw off half of it after flanking is one of my highlight experiences in the game.
(It was one of those clean up after "two sides fighting" missions).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Looking at sarna and absolutely refusing to believe that the Kraken doesn't just fall over backwards

The Kraken's oversized, canonically. The butt end is full of empty air. In tabletop, it can be shot when standing behind buildings and hills that other 'Mechs can safely hide behind.

The mini's proportions are a little better

And the Kraken 4 got a visual update that made the legs a little less stupid

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You know, I read about how overpowered a well-kitted Marauder is, but I've only seen it for myself today. Is there even a point in continuing to play after you have one? Feels like the rest of the career will just be a victory lap now, and mine isn't even as good as it could be, just 3 UAC2s++ and a LL+++.

I guess I'll see how much sillier I can make it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hannibal Rex posted:

You know, I read about how overpowered a well-kitted Marauder is, but I've only seen it for myself today. Is there even a point in continuing to play after you have one? Feels like the rest of the career will just be a victory lap now, and mine isn't even as good as it could be, just 3 UAC2s++ and a LL+++.

If zotting enemy mechs in the head with the finger of god once per turn is not fun... just don't do it? That was my response to getting a marauder: it wasn't allowed to take headshots.

Or get the headshot weapon limit mod. That's what I use now, plus lowering the multipliers that tactics & the marauder give to accuracy so they don't get so high. Though I'm thinking of going back and just making the marauder and called shot master not stack.

e: Heavy Metal (and the MAD and WHM that came out with HM) is pretty much "have fun curbstomping the AI with OP stuff", so if you were already proficient at the game the only way to keep challenged is mods or self-imposed difficulty. I really should do a stock mechs run at some point, but I get too into modding crap to buckle down for it.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 25, 2020

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

GD_American posted:

Is the Longbow the uber-missile boat? I can't think of a heavier Mech that would be in the game with as many missile slots but I'm not up on all the obscure ones. Basically, is there a missile equivalent of an Annihilator?

There's a Marauder II (not to be confused with the Marauder IIC) that has 9 missile hardpoints that made it into MWO, and Marauder II's are 100 tons. The stock loadout has one-shot rocket launchers in those hardpoints for a one time barrage of 170 rockets, because out in the Periphery nobody knows how to make weapons with automated reloading or guidance systems, but a custom loadout could slap somebody with really unholy SRM or LRM barrages. Not as good as the Kraken though, clantech missile launchers literally weigh half as much as IS ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I just checked my marauder 3R's have the lance command module that only gives 10% damage to called shots, nothing about improving accuracy. I'm not running any mods and i haven't gotten any other variants yet so i don't know if maybe that one has it.