Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The only thing that’s cheered me up at all this month is the thought that Johnson & Cummings might soon wish they’d died of the Covid when they’d caught it
I hope this gets worse for them before it’s all over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

What's a svengali?

depends, did jeremy corbyn say it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This seems on brand for the thread:
https://twitter.com/Cheerio_Buffet/status/1261998499371069441

OwlFancier posted:

What's a svengali?
A Bangladeshi from an alternative timeline where they were colonized by Sweden.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does Dominic have something on Johnson? Seems mental to keep him on after this unless he is being blackmailed.
That or he`s become a Rasputin figure for Johnson: he`s formed some kind of sick emotional bond with Dominic that he can`t bring himself to break?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

stev posted:

It's odd that the right wing papers were talking about Johnson's illness/recovery like he was the loving second coming just a few weeks ago. Now they're acting like they've been waiting ages for the chance to stick the knives in.

Newspapers have been bleeding money. They need something to bring in readers.

This weekend, the Sharks can smell blood in the water over BoJo and DC.

And the number 1 rule in the tabloid industry.

If it bleeds, it leads.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Can't wait for Benedict Cumberbatch to put on his bald cap again for this follow up to the Brexit tv drama they made.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit my first guess for svengali was "weren't they in charge of the english footy team for a while?" but it seemed wrong.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

OwlFancier posted:

I admit my first guess for svengali was "weren't they in charge of the english footy team for a while?" but it seemed wrong.

He only hosed Ulrika, not the country

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

This seems on brand for the thread:
https://twitter.com/Cheerio_Buffet/status/1261998499371069441

And teaching humanities without either is how you get boris loving johnson.

Shockingly enough the world doesn't have spiderman or batman villains, but it does have boris loving johnson.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Baudolino posted:

Does Dominic have something on Johnson? Seems mental to keep him on after this unless he is being blackmailed.
That or he`s become a Rasputin figure for Johnson: he`s formed some kind of sick emotional bond with Dominic that he can`t bring himself to break?

Cummings is heavily wrapped up Brexit winning and the 2019 GE, the two major successes of the right wing in the last few years and offers a kind of a vision for what the Tories should actually do. Johnson, being a lazy poo poo, won't want to get rid of him because he'd need to not just replace a man but also a direction for his government and there's a lot of other Tories who have a conscious ideology and don't need Johnson to deliver it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guavanaut posted:

I can't let this one go unappreciated :golfclap:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cummings does most of the actual work and decision-making. Boris is just there for the bants and the babes.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I can't let this one go unappreciated :golfclap:

Same. Worth breaking 15 years of lurking on here.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1264673967706644480

Love this frontpage :allears:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Total Meatlove posted:

He only hosed Ulrika, not the country

It depends if his decisions in the 2002 quarter final against Brazil count as loving or not, because it was at the very least gross incompetence

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

What's a svengali?

https://www.facebook.com/SvengaliMusic/videos/svenjollythesvengalifamily-jolly-seinfield/540743879454701/

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

stev posted:

It's odd that the right wing papers were talking about Johnson's illness/recovery like he was the loving second coming just a few weeks ago. Now they're acting like they've been waiting ages for the chance to stick the knives in.

You can't stab someone in the back unless you've got behind them first.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Starmer should start every PMQ secion he gets from now with one question.

"Can the Prime Minister confirm that Dominic Cummings has to follow this law too?"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

happyhippy posted:

Starmer should start every PMQ secion he gets from now with one question.

"Can the Prime Minister confirm that Dominic Cummings has to follow this law too?"

Given that one of the prime minister's first acts in office was literally breaking the law to prorogue parliament because he didn't want to do his job, what would make you think this question would matter, even if Kier was uninterested enough in :decorum: to ask something so boorish?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
they're apparently now claiming the journey was necessary because cummy's child is austistic

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ash Crimson posted:

they're apparently now claiming the journey was necessary because cummy's child is austistic

I've seen this crop a few times but just desperate Twitter weirdos rather than anything official.

The line is that the child would need to be in familiar surroundings. Because his home isn't familiar enough.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Modern spin is offering as many explanations as possible for something unacceptable in the hope that a critical level of the population hears an explanation that they like and so stop caring or get so confused they don't know what to think and the issue goes away.

Dogged and consistent countering of this by constantly contradicting the latest excuse with previous ones and direct accusations of deliberate 'badness' rather than innocent incompetence is the only way to make anything matter.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If anyone went to Durham Uni, and remembers the terrible, terrible nightclub Klute, then do I have an interesting tidbit for you!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07472305/officers

Christ. on. a. bike.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It depends if his decisions in the 2002 quarter final against Brazil count as loving or not, because it was at the very least gross incompetence

More than a few people in the country cheered that lob.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Total Meatlove posted:

More than a few people in the country cheered that lob.

ah, twas a great goal, but that Brazil team played with 10 men for the last half hour and it took until 10 minutes til the end for Sven to make an attacking sub, which was to replace Ashley Cole with Teddy Sheringham. It was absolutely gutless

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Red Oktober posted:

If anyone went to Durham Uni, and remembers the terrible, terrible nightclub Klute, then do I have an interesting tidbit for you!

Christ. on. a. bike.

Jesus loving Christ

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
has boris just never had a media scandal that actually stopped him from getting re-elected so far and doesn't understand that it is in fact possible for his actions to have consequences

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Shockingly enough the world doesn't have spiderman or batman villains, but it does have boris loving johnson.
tbf that was Classics rather than Humanities, which is Humanities for people who wish they could govern like it's 395.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Scenes on the football forum I post on. The "moderates" turning against the govt.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

sebzilla posted:

Pretty pleased with my thread title contribution, think it's only my second or third in a loving decade of posting in this cess pit.

Love you guys.

It's a good title and I am graceful in handing my own position as originator of the thread title over :)

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

thespaceinvader posted:

boris johnson has never done a sociology course in his life

do UK universities distinguish between "classics" and "humanities"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The ones he went to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

Christ. on. a. bike.

Other than it's weird for a rational genius turbonerd to own a nightclub what's the significance?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

it's a fittingly notoriously shite nightclub

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Other than it's weird for a rational genius turbonerd to own a nightclub what's the significance?

It's really just an interesting piece of information for anyone who's been there. It's awful, not awful in the 'terrible nightclub' awful way but awful. It was allegedly awarded the title of the second worst nightclub in Europe by FHM, back when that was still a thing. (The worst one supposedly burnt down).

Subject of many an article https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/8qbzzg/i-went-to-klute-the-worst-night-club-in-europe

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

namesake posted:

Cummings is heavily wrapped up Brexit winning and the 2019 GE, the two major successes of the right wing in the last few years and offers a kind of a vision for what the Tories should actually do. Johnson, being a lazy poo poo, won't want to get rid of him because he'd need to not just replace a man but also a direction for his government and there's a lot of other Tories who have a conscious ideology and don't need Johnson to deliver it.

He is also one of those people that thinks he can run everything and is believed to be more or less running the cabinet. If he goes ministers will take advantage and try to grab that control back while Boris is weak and can't do much to stop them. Then Boris really is going to have to work to run the government.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

It's really just an interesting piece of information for anyone who's been there. It's awful, not awful in the 'terrible nightclub' awful way but awful. It was allegedly awarded the title of the second worst nightclub in Europe by FHM, back when that was still a thing. (The worst one supposedly burnt down).

Subject of many an article https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/8qbzzg/i-went-to-klute-the-worst-night-club-in-europe

Durham in general is a shite night out, the place is far too cramped, there's only around 5 bars and every one of them is ridiculously overpriced. The Library has a nice selection of world beers at least. Don't know how the uni students manage unless they're loving off to Sunderland/Newcastle once a week.

Despite hailing from Co. Durham I only found out that Durham is a city earlier this year thanks to Tenable off the ITV, and Boro is only a town. Political Correctness gone mad if you ask me :bahgawd:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boro didn't exist 180 years ago so yeah, not a city. Also I don't think it has a cathederal unless they buried it somewhere. Cities in the UK are political appointments, not based on actual size.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

i disagree walkabouts is the worst club. all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I got an alert from the Twitter app, but forgot to share. Was reminded by the podcast:

https://twitter.com/2010leehurst

Twitter is a bit less profoundly bald.