Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Holy hell 46 hours :am:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Makes me again glad wifey needed a c-section for Owen. 46 hours. Yeesh.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 23, 2020

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I do not recommend it. They were only able to give her 2 rounds of pain meds after she started asking for it. Round 1 came around 35 hours in and she slept for 2 hours, round 2 came around 41 hours in and she napped for about 3 minutes :yikes: before she woke up through the pain again. She did not want an epidural for any reason so that was that.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I am so glad for summer because this belly is already getting in the way and it has become difficult to put on socks and shoes. I’ll be glad to just slip on comfy sandals every day and also not need to worry about pants.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Yeah, my feet started to swell a few days ago and now I've got the pregnant lady cankles. And my days of sleeping through the night seem to be over now (maybe nature's way of preparing me for what it'll be like when the baby comes). Really glad I can wear sweatpants and slippers and not have to get up early for a work commute.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Baby is doing his first growth spurt. He's been eating nonstop for almost a day and a half. Maybe sleeps for 30-40 minutes every couple hours but wakes up again and demands more food. My wife is going crazy. There's very little I can do to help except take him for diaper changes whenever he decides to go.

The internet said this should only last a couple days typically, I really hope he calms down soon. Any advice for keeping his fussyness to a minimum while actively feeding constantly?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

L0cke17 posted:

Baby is doing his first growth spurt. He's been eating nonstop for almost a day and a half. Maybe sleeps for 30-40 minutes every couple hours but wakes up again and demands more food. My wife is going crazy. There's very little I can do to help except take him for diaper changes whenever he decides to go.

The internet said this should only last a couple days typically, I really hope he calms down soon. Any advice for keeping his fussyness to a minimum while actively feeding constantly?

Unfortunately I don’t have any suggestions, but please please keep snacks/single hand edible food and drinks readily available for your wife. It takes a lot out of you to feed during those growth spurts and you’re generally not thinking clearly enough to notice your own needs until they’re bad. Make sure she gets a shower too.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

BadSamaritan posted:

Unfortunately I don’t have any suggestions, but please please keep snacks/single hand edible food and drinks readily available for your wife. It takes a lot out of you to feed during those growth spurts and you’re generally not thinking clearly enough to notice your own needs until they’re bad. Make sure she gets a shower too.

Already doing that. As much as I can.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

L0cke17 posted:

Something I wish I would have done when I was breastfeeding during those insane growth spurts was to have some “emergency formula” on hand. Lactation consultants will highly recommend against it, but I wish I had it. There was a week where she gained just shy of two pounds, and by the evening time my boobs were totally out of milk and she wanted more. Like, floppy out of milk. I wish my husband could have given her some formula at the time just for a little break, since at the time I hadn’t started pumping yet. Not an every day thing, just on the evenings where I was completely mentally and emotionally exhausted.

My baby just turned 13 months, and I haven’t got my period yet. I’m only breastfeeding in the morning and before bed, which I enjoy, but I’m wondering if I need to stop since we want to start trying for #2 soon. Any advice for weaning completely off the boob?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So re: pregnancy hormones/getting upset etc

How much of that is hormones, and how much of it is getting hangry faster than normal. We are not morning people and probably had a snack last night around 10pm, then slept in until noon and forgot to eat breakfast/brunch which other than a cup of coffee was ~15 hours since last meal. I think they say pregnancy is an extra ~200 calories a day which for the average woman is about 10% additional calories? 10% might not seem like a lot but it is added to your baseload.

Koivunen posted:

Something I wish I would have done when I was breastfeeding during those insane growth spurts was to have some “emergency formula” on hand. Lactation consultants will highly recommend against it, but I wish I had it.

Not to get too deep into a holy war, but why do lactation consultants suggest not giving supplemental formula? Is it because they might start to prefer the bottle, or the shock of a different nutritional profile on their system etc

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Koivunen posted:

Something I wish I would have done when I was breastfeeding during those insane growth spurts was to have some “emergency formula” on hand. Lactation consultants will highly recommend against it, but I wish I had it. There was a week where she gained just shy of two pounds, and by the evening time my boobs were totally out of milk and she wanted more. Like, floppy out of milk. I wish my husband could have given her some formula at the time just for a little break, since at the time I hadn’t started pumping yet. Not an every day thing, just on the evenings where I was completely mentally and emotionally exhausted.

We have some we picked up just in case. We've had to use it twice so far. The little guy hates it though. He screams for like half an hour after he eats it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Good lactation consultants won't recommend against formula, what the gently caress? The goal is to feed the baby. Whatever it takes to make that happen.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Good lactation consultants won't recommend against formula, what the gently caress? The goal is to feed the baby. Whatever it takes to make that happen.

I’m convinced that a lot of ‘cluster feeding’ is just babies wanting more milk than their mothers can provide. Lactation consultants will tell you that breast fullness doesn’t correlate with milk supply, but I used my baby scale to weigh my son during these cluster feeds. He was getting half an ounce at best over the course of an hour. At that point he was burning more calories nursing than he was taking in.

Next time I’m giving formula or frozen breast milk, pumping, and calling it a day (or night).

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I hope to mostly breastfeed with some pumping and supplemental formula as needed. My OB said I may need to see a lactation consultant because my nipples are so small, so I might have difficulties.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Not to get too deep into a holy war, but why do lactation consultants suggest not giving supplemental formula? Is it because they might start to prefer the bottle, or the shock of a different nutritional profile on their system etc

My impression from the legion of lactation consultants who saw me in hospital was that a) it "might" interrupt supply because lactation follows a positive feedback loop***, b) it's easier than breastfeeding and they want the woman to keep persevering (no matter her circumstances) instead of "giving up" and c) they just think breastmilk is far better than formula.

I didn't have a particularly high opinion of the consultants I saw. My son fed terribly because he had a tongue and lip tie, and they didn't diagnose the lip tie and incompletely released the tongue tie. I persevered trying to breastfeed but he stopped gaining weight because he got so tired trying to feed he was mostly getting foremilk before dropping off. Exclusive pumping fixed that but it wasn't sustainable for our situation past 6 months. Swapped to formula and he didn't wilt.

*** while conveniently ignoring that adrenaline and stress inhibit letdown and cause a drop in milk supply

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 24, 2020

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
My litmus test is asking lactation consultants what resources they advise me to read. If all they recommend is La Leche League, KellyMom, or Jack Newman and they don’t provide caveats about these sources’ agendas then I know they’re more about ‘Breast is Best’ than the science.

In general, I’ve found lactation consultants to be very useful for the physical mechanics of positioning and latching, and nearly useless for supply/transfer/weight gain issues.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Koivunen posted:

My baby just turned 13 months, and I haven’t got my period yet. I’m only breastfeeding in the morning and before bed, which I enjoy, but I’m wondering if I need to stop since we want to start trying for #2 soon. Any advice for weaning completely off the boob?

Both of my kids just suddenly nope'd around 1 year. One got a fever from hand-foot-mouth disease and just did not have the energy. One was fine but just got impatient and summer was too hot and the bottle was more efficient.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

peanut posted:

Both of my kids just suddenly nope'd around 1 year. One got a fever from hand-foot-mouth disease and just did not have the energy. One was fine but just got impatient and summer was too hot and the bottle was more efficient.

I would just like to say gently caress hand foot mouth.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I was on the phone with my mom today and she mentioned I was 6lbs 4oz at birth, but wouldn’t nurse, so I dropped down to 5lbs and it took 3 months to get back to my birth weight because I just refused to feed.

Hope I won’t have that problem with my own kid.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Just popping in to say we fed formula by choice and have a beautiful, healthy one year old. BFing is great but I was struggling with PPD/PPA and formula was the right choice for us.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Yup. With postpartum depression and mood issues formula supplementing really helped for me. Our baby’s pediatrician was all for it. All she cared about was that the baby was eating. Everyone else wasn’t as supportive. The key is to ignore people who want to tell you how to take care of your baby, unless what you’re doing is actively harming the baby. Everyone has an opinion and they love to share it.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
When my youngest was born he was 4 weeks early and had trouble passing his glucose tests to even be able to leave the hospital, so he was supplemented with formula from day 1. After about a week he refused to breastfeed and would only take bottles.

I saw a great LC who revised his tongue tie, taught me how to bottle feed in a way that was more comparable to breastfeeding, and gave me a temporary supplement system while breastfeeding to get him used to it again. It took about 2 weeks and some work, but he’s a few days shy of 6 months now and we have no issues breastfeeding and using an occasional bottle of formula in the evening if he needs it. It’s absolutely possible to do both.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
My son was a touch early at 37 weeks and had a bit of jaundice that didn't go away in the hospital, so our ped advised supplementing with formula until my milk came in to keep his weight up. We did it with a syringe for about a week, and it had absolutely no negative impact on breastfeeding. I nursed him until he was 18 months. The hospital where I delivered also ran a breastfeeding support group that was highly supportive of all combinations of nursing/pumping/formula supplementation and had a great, knowledgeable LC. Feel free to tell anyone who gives you poo poo about formula to pound sand.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I can finally join you all in this thread! Just found out that after 2 years of trying it’s finally happening for us :) It’s still very early so I can’t tell anyone irl, which is excruciating.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

I can finally join you all in this thread! Just found out that after 2 years of trying it’s finally happening for us :) It’s still very early so I can’t tell anyone irl, which is excruciating.

Congrats! The early stage is the hardest part! Though if you’re working from home, it makes it easier to keep things under wraps.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Nessa posted:

Congrats! The early stage is the hardest part! Though if you’re working from home, it makes it easier to keep things under wraps.

Thank you! I’m furloughed right now, so no worries there :) I know this is down the road a bit, but at what point is it best to notify your boss?

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Depends if you're going to need modified duty or whatnot. I didn't tell till after the anatomy scan at 19 weeks because I didn't want anyone up in my business in case something was wrong. I'm super tempted to wait longer this time, but it'll depend on what the project schedule looks like for the end of the year.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

remigious posted:

Thank you! I’m furloughed right now, so no worries there :) I know this is down the road a bit, but at what point is it best to notify your boss?

I had to tell my bosses at 6 weeks, because I needed accommodations from hyperemesis. So, I would wait until you have to tell them or else when it feels obvious to most observant humans? Also depends on your boss, and if you think they are more likely to be supportive or to be assholes.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

I let my boss know at 12 weeks, after we had our ultrasound. I had actually let a few coworkers know after my 8 week ultrasound because they knew I had a miscarriage last year, and these coworkers were friends of mine, so I felt comfortable telling them a little earlier.

If you work with hazardous materials or do a lot of heavy lifting, it’s probably best to let your boss know ASAP so adjustments can be made to your work, but otherwise, I’d say whenever you’re most comfortable bringing it up.

Also, be prepared for your ultrasounds and prenatal appointments to be different than they normally would. Around here, only patients are allowed to come to appointments or ultrasounds. At my 18 week ultrasound, my husband had to just drop me off at the clinic because he wasn’t even allowed in the waiting room. Ask your doctor’s office if you should bring your own mask and what precautions they have set in place. I’ve heard that some offices aren’t doing in-person prenatal appointments at all for the most part and have moved to tele-medicine, requiring patients to measure their own blood pressure at home.

Do you have an obstetrician yet, or a family doctor who you’re comfortable seeing you through your pregnancy? They will probably want you to get a few blood tests done every 2 days to measure your HCG levels and make sure they’re increasing as they should. I have to get bloodwork done every month because I have hypothyroidism. The last time I was at the lab, you had to sign in with your paperwork downstairs, wait to be let in once upstairs, and given hand sanitizer and a mask to wear in the waiting room. Of course, there was no signage to indicate this procedure and I totally missed the desk downstairs to check in at, so I just got yelled at when I entered the waiting room and was told to get out until they let me in. I wasn’t the only one, either! The lab nearest my house is in a shopping centre and they had a security guard ask you to state your purpose when you went in the only unlocked doors.

It’s a crazy time to be pregnant.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Nessa posted:

Do you have an obstetrician yet, or a family doctor who you’re comfortable seeing you through your pregnancy?

It’s a crazy time to be pregnant.
No, I’m not set up with anyone yet. That is definitely priority #1 right now. It is indeed going to be a wild ride!
As for my job, I am just a desk drone. I have been furloughed for the past 2 months, supposedly they will bring me back early June, but it’s still up in the air. My boss is a very kind woman that has a young child herself, so I am confident that she will be understanding later on down the road. I just hope they still intend to bring me back, or I’ll be in a pickle!
I really appreciate the advice everyone :)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

No, I’m not set up with anyone yet. That is definitely priority #1 right now. It is indeed going to be a wild ride!
As for my job, I am just a desk drone. I have been furloughed for the past 2 months, supposedly they will bring me back early June, but it’s still up in the air. My boss is a very kind woman that has a young child herself, so I am confident that she will be understanding later on down the road. I just hope they still intend to bring me back, or I’ll be in a pickle!
I really appreciate the advice everyone :)

Time to make some phone calls then! See if you can get any recommendations from local groups or friends about good OBs in your area. I was fortunate to have already been referred to an OBGYN for previous gynaecological issues before I got pregnant, so I could just call the office and get the bloodwork done and my appointments got made right away. The OBGYN I had before was just absolutely awful and wanted to perform unnecessary surgery on me, so I’m glad I have a better one now.

It’s good you have a boss who will be understanding! My coworker had to go on maternity leave earlier than expected because she needed a procedure to turn the baby and it required her being on leave. My boss was really mad at her for “not giving her legally required 6 weeks notice,” but she had let him know as soon as she knew herself. It was only 6 weeks out from the due date anyway.

I was really mad at my boss for how he treated my pregnant coworker. I threw her a little going away party on her last day and brought cake and cookies and everyone said their goodbyes and congratulations while my boss didn’t have a single kind word to say to her.

There’s a reason she’s not coming back once her leave is done!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Just setup a date to induce if needed and it suddenly feels even realer realer.

If it comes to inducing, we gotta get covid tested, too, which I guess is new around here.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tom Smykowski posted:

Just setup a date to induce if needed and it suddenly feels even realer realer.

If it comes to inducing, we gotta get covid tested, too, which I guess is new around here.

I’ve read some scary things about people who delivered after being isolated and being kept from holding their babies until their Covid test results come back 15+ hours later. I would be so mad if I had made the effort to quarantine for 2 weeks prior to birth and not being allowed to hold my baby after a whole day.

I hope I’m not going to have to deal with that sort of thing by October. Cases in my city have been 0-1 new cases a day now for the past while. I have my fingers crossed that we’re past the worst of it.

Bought a pregnancy pillow today since I was able to go to Bed Bath and Beyond. I hope it helps me sleep because it’s been rough sleeping on my side as a stomach sleeper.

I’ve also been noticing my heart racing at the slightest amount of stress, even while just laying on the couch. My uncle made an ignorant post on Facebook? Heart-pound! Read a sad story on the internet? Heart-pound! Dropped a grape on the floor? Heart-pound! Like jeez, I guess I really am more affected by stressors now that I’m pregnant.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Here in chicago, the process has been changing monthly trending towards less restrictions.

If our kid comes before the inducing date, theres no testing. I think theres a temp check and mask for me (the non birth giver) and that's it

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Our policy is testing all moms who come in on the day they come in. We are using rapid tests that have the results in about an hour. Only one support person is allowed in, and they get temp checked and they need to wear a mask.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Tom Smykowski posted:

Here in chicago, the process has been changing monthly trending towards less restrictions.

If our kid comes before the inducing date, theres no testing. I think theres a temp check and mask for me (the non birth giver) and that's it

I'm in Chicago too, when is your baby's due date? Mine's August 21st and I have no idea how things might be different by then. We plan to talk to my OB more directly about COVID-related stuff at my next appointment, but I know things could change by the time my due date arrives. Not sure how to plan with my family who is out of state and chomping at the bit to come and visit me. I guess the best I can do is tell them what we know and emphasize that that can change.

My husband and I were in a Labor and Delivery Zoom class yesterday where they also talked about separating the mother and baby if the mother is positive for COVID, which really distressed me. I was thinking about my husband and I just hard-quarantining for two weeks leading up to my due date. Problem is everything is starting to open up again so I'm worried about people getting too relaxed and starting another COVID spike. This all feels so overwhelming.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Babys due in like a week. We've been getting covid procedure updates with each visit. At the start of all this, they were constantly changing things. But now its stable.

At our appointment yesterday, we asked about family visiting and all that. The doctor basically advised the same caution youd have for a newborn for any illness especially for the first month.

It sounded like she was giving us a polite way to tell our relatives to stay the hell away so that's what I'm going with.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We had a baby last weekend via c-section in the bay area, and my wife got covid-19 swabbed as they took her in and I waited in the waiting room for an hour for her to get her results. Then I went in to the operation and then recovery for an hour, then they kept her for 2 nights with the baby and I wasn't allowed to visit.

Edit: for adding covid-19. So they said 1/30 people had tested positive so far (that must mean on average since it's been months and there were 2 other dudes I saw in the waiting room) and they also said that last week, someone had tested positive and had no symptoms.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 29, 2020

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Nessa posted:

I’ve read some scary things about people who delivered after being isolated and being kept from holding their babies until their Covid test results come back 15+ hours later. I would be so mad if I had made the effort to quarantine for 2 weeks prior to birth and not being allowed to hold my baby after a whole day.

I hope I’m not going to have to deal with that sort of thing by October. Cases in my city have been 0-1 new cases a day now for the past while. I have my fingers crossed that we’re past the worst of it.

Bought a pregnancy pillow today since I was able to go to Bed Bath and Beyond. I hope it helps me sleep because it’s been rough sleeping on my side as a stomach sleeper.

I’ve also been noticing my heart racing at the slightest amount of stress, even while just laying on the couch. My uncle made an ignorant post on Facebook? Heart-pound! Read a sad story on the internet? Heart-pound! Dropped a grape on the floor? Heart-pound! Like jeez, I guess I really am more affected by stressors now that I’m pregnant.

The first indication that I had preeclampsia was I noticed my heart rate was high at rest for what I thought were strange reasons. Well, technically I didn't notice, my apple watch did. Keep an eye on your blood pressure, even if you think it's just a reaction to weird stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sarah posted:

The first indication that I had preeclampsia was I noticed my heart rate was high at rest for what I thought were strange reasons. Well, technically I didn't notice, my apple watch did. Keep an eye on your blood pressure, even if you think it's just a reaction to weird stuff.

I don’t have a blood pressure monitor at home right now, but I have an appointment in a couple days. My blood pressure last time was borderline low, but it’s been normal for my blood pressure to be on the low end of normal.

I woke up with one of my hands quite swollen today, so I guess I’ll bring that up too. I’ve got a calendar notebook that I’ve been writing various symptoms in to keep track of some things. I find it’s helpful to bring to my appointments.