Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MonsieurChoc posted:

Which is why it's a crime we don't have a WoD Paradox Grand Strategy game.

Paradox was prob gonna do this, then V5 happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Malkavians as a bloodline tend to exacerbate the worst misconceptions of mental illness, which is real-life goddamn unhealthy.

Especially in the hands of roleplayers who treat Malkavian dementia as a DSM codified class feature the way Shadowrunners pick out guns.

"Cursed with the Victorian concept of Madness" is good. Writing "Bipolar" on your character sheet is not.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Which is why it's a crime we don't have a WoD Paradox Grand Strategy game.

tbh I always felt like they should have been all over leveraging Exalted

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Exalted needs to be a character action game designed by a team comprised of Yoko Taro, Hideo Kojima, and Hideki Kamiya.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

Exalted needs to be a character action game designed by a team comprised of Yoko Taro, Hideo Kojima, and Hideki Kamiya.
Team is incomplete. Add Suda51 and Swery.

Swexalted.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

LGD posted:

tbh I always felt like they should have been all over leveraging Exalted

Me too, but thinking about it recently they might be waiting for after Crusader Kings 3.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

I mean yeah that would own, but the setting lends itself really well to grand strategy, especially if you don't frame everything around playing a Solar protagonist (since depending on how you structure things they work really well as either hugely influential pieces or natural disasters/huge wrenches)

dynasts are all about politicking and breeding, and the other non-Solar-derived Celestial Exalted are explicitly highly interested in loving with Creation's political structures

and the setting provides fun twists on normal resource mechanics, from the need for religious orders to keep uppity small (and not-so-small) gods in line so you can get salt and grow crops, to meeting market demand for addictive dinosaur piss

nofather posted:

Me too, but thinking about it recently they might be waiting for after Crusader Kings 3.

that would make sense

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Exalted game where you play a grand strategy mapgame, but when you get sick of it you can just play a Solar and it turns into a Musou.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Exalted game where you play a grand strategy mapgame, but when you get sick of it you can just play a Solar and it turns into a Musou.

This is basically the ancient AD&D Birthright computer game, although the execution in that was kind of awful.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That's also Dwarf Fortress, sort of.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That Old Tree posted:

That's also Dwarf Fortress, sort of.

Exalted is very dwarf fortress already

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I would love to play an over the top God of War style Exalted game. Either that or an extremely tense Dragonblooded game about bring pilots of Warstriders and having dramatic political struggles mixed with brutal combat against menacing Solar and Lunar threats.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I would love to play an over the top God of War style Exalted game. Either that or an extremely tense Dragonblooded game about bring pilots of Warstriders and having dramatic political struggles mixed with brutal combat against menacing Solar and Lunar threats.

Publish both in the same year, and make sure that the protagonists of each kill the other one's main character in their timeline. Exalted is best when every single side and faction has a version of the story where they're the (almost certainly morally grey if not outright awful) protagonists. Not the heroes, but the protagonists.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Smash Shadow of Mordor together with a not-boring version of the realm management stuff from DA Inquisition. DB campaign with a plot split in the middle where you choose to be a brutal oppressor or die fighting the Realm.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

LGD posted:

meeting market demand for addictive dinosaur piss

Hey. What's up?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

They stem from the bad roleplayers who decided to put the Malkavian clan into the game they were developing.

Lol what

Joe Slowboat posted:

Fake vampire fan revealed, he called a clan a ‘class’

What a n00b

Lol I've been playing too much fire emblem

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Metapod posted:

Lol what

The developers of Masquerade were, themselves, bad roleplayers, so they could be counted to make bad decisions. I don't understand how that one went over your head, I thought it was very straightforward.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

The developers of Masquerade were, themselves, bad roleplayers, so they could be counted to make bad decisions. I don't understand how that one went over your head, I thought it was very straightforward.

What's your proof of this? Have they streamed themselves playing?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Metapod posted:

What's your proof of this? Have they streamed themselves playing?

Ferrinus posted:

decided to put the Malkavian clan into the game they were developing.

qed

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It's that simple, folks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Good times tonight. I introduced a sidewalk spirit that really just wants the players to walk on him. Maybe jump a little, just all of them.

This is how I make up for the last NPC being evil, give them a horny sidewalk spirit with a boston accent

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So, my session tonight was made up of low-stakes nonsense. The Prometheans are trying to help organize a union at a rusty factory, and the two who aren't Aurum decided to build some fireworks and use them to harass the factory owners (this had some additional symbolic weight - the factory owners, being megadouches, had lauched fireworks at picketers). Unlike most sessions, my players rolled like gangbusters. Most nights they'd consistently fail any roll of <10 die, tonight they were getting like 5 successes on 5 dice.

Then, one of them, the Zeky, rolled a failure on aiming some rockets. Player immediately slams the dramatic fail button. OK cool, you launch the rocket straight into the ground, take some aggravated, roll torment. Player fails torment roll. Now we have an angry, tormented, merciless Zeky: this instantly creates a level 3 wasteland and pumps her Azoth to 8(!). She maxes out on transhuman potential in order to punch the car of her target. With the rules for Flash Burst, she immediately festers the wasteland up to 4 and then festers it into a firestorm, and rolls 7 loving successes on the firestorm, effectively setting off a good kiloton or so sized explosion in the middle of a residential area. Interestingly, so far the PCs had not yet killed a single NPC in 7 sessions.

Time to learn the rules for River of Death!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

This is why you don't let the Zeky get overwrought.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Good times tonight. I introduced a sidewalk spirit that really just wants the players to walk on him. Maybe jump a little, just all of them.

This is how I make up for the last NPC being evil, give them a horny sidewalk spirit with a boston accent

Stealing this.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Did anyone come up with an opinion on Technocracy Reloaded after reading it?

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

Hey what was the name of that one writer that either was with or is with White Wolf who was like homophobic or tansphobic and got a lot of trouble for that?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drunkenmonkeystyle posted:

Hey what was the name of that one writer that either was with or is with White Wolf who was like homophobic or tansphobic and got a lot of trouble for that?
You're probably thinking of Mark Rein*Hagan, who (to be fair to him) is probably not a dedicated, UK-style phobe of any kind, but to also be fair to him, apparently wrote something in an RPG manual saying that the Chechen anti-gay pogroms were a cover for vampire crimes, getting the book banned in Chechnya and causing a literal international incident.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Did anyone come up with an opinion on Technocracy Reloaded after reading it?

I haven't kept up it on very much. The last chapter I read was an oddly exhaustive and long look at how the Technocracy view sex, gender and love and the TL;DR was they took pains to show how super inclusive they are. Also little things like how the NWO agents are the Black Suits now, no longer the Men in Black, which while is more in keeping with the times does mean they lose out on a Will Smith bop.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Which while is more in keeping with the times does mean they lose out on a Will Smith bop.

I was really loving the Technocracy book so far, but this really turns everything on its head. Wild Wild West will just have to become our new touchstone for the Technocracy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What made you love it? I'm trying to decide if I want to stay a backer and I haven't had time to read it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

What made you love it? I'm trying to decide if I want to stay a backer and I haven't had time to read it.

It reminds me a lot of some of the earlier 20th anniversary books where it isn't huge changes just mostly a cleaning up of the concepts. I am inclined to like it generally because playing as the Technocracy has been my favorite games of Mage, but I have not managed to read it in its entirety either. Everything so far has been an improvement or a refinement.

I hated M20, so enjoying this as much as I have has been a nice surprise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It reminds me a lot of some of the earlier 20th anniversary books where it isn't huge changes just mostly a cleaning up of the concepts. I am inclined to like it generally because playing as the Technocracy has been my favorite games of Mage, but I have not managed to read it in its entirety either. Everything so far has been an improvement or a refinement.

I hated M20, so enjoying this as much as I have has been a nice surprise.

Agreed. It doesn't feel like it's got so much of Brucato's fingerprints on it like M20 did (save maybe in edge cases like the aforementioned section on how much Technocracy agents like to bone).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

You're probably thinking of Mark Rein*Hagan, who (to be fair to him) is probably not a dedicated, UK-style phobe of any kind, but to also be fair to him, apparently wrote something in an RPG manual saying that the Chechen anti-gay pogroms were a cover for vampire crimes, getting the book banned in Chechnya and causing a literal international incident.

Might also be thinking of the VtM prelude novel "We Eat Blood and All Our Friends Are Dead", which was written by infamous rapist and serial harasser Zak S., and features a thinly veiled insert of a real person he had a grudge against as an evil vampire SJW.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Might also be thinking of the VtM prelude novel "We Eat Blood and All Our Friends Are Dead", which was written by infamous rapist and serial harasser Zak S., and features a thinly veiled insert of a real person he had a grudge against as an evil vampire SJW.

I thought you were making up that title as a joke.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tulip posted:

i wish

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For what's it's worth the person he had a grudge against said they don't think it's supposed to be them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really don't know what that person's reasoning was, but I am pretty confident that they're wrong.

E: that is, I think Zak deliberately meant it as a vile attack, and she said "Nah that's not me" for her own well-being.

Which is unfortunate in that this sometimes gets brought up to defend Zak and that seems to only make it worse.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 27, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tulip posted:

And not have a title that's ridiculously edgelord? The very idea.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Was that the transwoman vampire who drove an Uber, and would ask any conservatives she picked up if they wanted to suck her dick, and if they refused she'd Dominate them into doing it anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

For what's it's worth the person he had a grudge against said they don't think it's supposed to be them.

I didn't know this, and will keep it in mind for the future.

Kurieg posted:

Was that the transwoman vampire who drove an Uber, and would ask any conservatives she picked up if they wanted to suck her dick, and if they refused she'd Dominate them into doing it anyway?

Yeah.