Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

dino. posted:

Your first mistake was making that garbage cake.

I'm with you buddy. I'm not big on cakes but if I want one it's gonna be a black forest gateau or a chocolate torte with ganache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I like angel food cake; my problem is that people always use it terribly, e.g., dry with a strawberry and some whipped cream popped on. It's more like a french cake in that it takes syrup really well; I like it with completely soaked with strawberries. Sometimes a shortcake is too rich for a dessert.

I will eat just about any kind of cake, though. I fuckin' love cake.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Best cappuccino ive ever had was made from pasteurized but not homogenized milk.

So today I made some chicken stock. It was perfectly clear when I strained it and creamy opaque like KFC gravy after I reduced it. What's going on with that?

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

mediaphage posted:

I like angel food cake; my problem is that people always use it terribly, e.g., dry with a strawberry and some whipped cream popped on. It's more like a french cake in that it takes syrup really well; I like it with completely soaked with strawberries. Sometimes a shortcake is too rich for a dessert.

I will eat just about any kind of cake, though. I fuckin' love cake.

At one place I worked at, we would dunk wedges of angel food cake in butter and toast it. It was served covered in hot fudge, with a scoop of ice cream. It was amazing, but serving large parties that all got it was not fun.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dimloep posted:

At one place I worked at, we would dunk wedges of angel food cake in butter and toast it. It was served covered in hot fudge, with a scoop of ice cream. It was amazing, but serving large parties that all got it was not fun.

Oh gently caress that sounds great. I’d add some caramel. Mmm.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
A lot of people would sub out the ice cream for our coconut sorbet, which is also an excellent choice.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey Dino, I went to that yummy Trinidadian place we went to when you visited.

Those vegan potatoes are a marvel, so buttery! Is that just the coconut oil? How you make them taters?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dimloep posted:

I did not need to read this after how lovely I’ve been eating for the last few weeks.

I’m supposed to be on a diet, dammit! :argh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNI4h7Ucd1c

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I love you Steve.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Truly, doing God's Work.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Not the hero we expected, but the one we wanted

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the tiny hands are my favorite part

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey Dino, I went to that yummy Trinidadian place we went to when you visited.

Those vegan potatoes are a marvel, so buttery! Is that just the coconut oil? How you make them taters?

It's specific to Trinidadian cooking. What I've learned over the years is that Indians cook their food /way/ too hot for Trinidadian food to come out right. Trini food is cooked at a significantly lower temperature, and nobody really cares if it takes a long time, because you want to develop the flavour and have everything taste right. So your friends are coming over at 6 PM for dinner? First off, nobody shows up until almost 7:30. Secondly, you probably started cooking at like 4. Not because you're making huge quantities (because you are, but that's beside the point), but because you need to let everything simmer slowly until it's done just so. And then you need time to clean the kitchen, shower, and get changed before everyone come over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNFbkLtg7U

The way I figured it out was to watch my mom's Trinidadian friends when they made their food. You'd start at medium, and then finish frying the spices and junk. Then you drop down the heat to low, and let it park, for a whiiiiile. That recipe I linked above tends to be the roti shop version of potatoes like you'd get outside of Trinidad. It's difficult to source fresh ingredients, so they do their best. If however you want to go SUPER old school, like back on the island, check this lady out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypFTvADdg4

Dhania/Chadon beni = culantro

Pimento = a mild chilie pepper that grows on the island. Way sweeter than the grossness that is green bell pepper. Find the sweetest chilies with mild heat (not zero heat like bell pepper) if you want to substitute.

Hot pepper = scotch bonnet peppers

Geera = cumin. The whole seeds she uses is regular cumin seeds. The ground one she uses is roasted cumin, ground down to powder. Do not substitute cumin powder, as it won't taste right.

Channa = chickpeas. Do not substitute canned for this particular recipe. You'll need to use the smallets chickpeas you can find in the stores. The Indian kabuli chana is smaller than what you'd normally get on the Island, but it's as close as you're going to get.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I love you Steve.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steve the absolute mad lad.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dino. posted:

Trinidad stuff
Oh man, thank you for these YouTube channels! These are fantastic.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I got a craving and made a batch of chana. My apartment smells like Ram’s Roti shop in Ft Lauderdale, and it takes me back. I forgot how much I love Trinidadian food.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^ It's some good poo poo! They do such good things with veggies, too, collards and pumpkin... mmmmmmm.

dino. posted:

It's specific to Trinidadian cooking. What I've learned over the years is that Indians cook their food /way/ too hot for Trinidadian food to come out right. Trini food is cooked at a significantly lower temperature, and nobody really cares if it takes a long time, because you want to develop the flavour and have everything taste right. So your friends are coming over at 6 PM for dinner? First off, nobody shows up until almost 7:30. Secondly, you probably started cooking at like 4. Not because you're making huge quantities (because you are, but that's beside the point), but because you need to let everything simmer slowly until it's done just so. And then you need time to clean the kitchen, shower, and get changed before everyone come over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNFbkLtg7U

The way I figured it out was to watch my mom's Trinidadian friends when they made their food. You'd start at medium, and then finish frying the spices and junk. Then you drop down the heat to low, and let it park, for a whiiiiile. That recipe I linked above tends to be the roti shop version of potatoes like you'd get outside of Trinidad. It's difficult to source fresh ingredients, so they do their best. If however you want to go SUPER old school, like back on the island, check this lady out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypFTvADdg4

Dhania/Chadon beni = culantro

Pimento = a mild chilie pepper that grows on the island. Way sweeter than the grossness that is green bell pepper. Find the sweetest chilies with mild heat (not zero heat like bell pepper) if you want to substitute.

Hot pepper = scotch bonnet peppers

Geera = cumin. The whole seeds she uses is regular cumin seeds. The ground one she uses is roasted cumin, ground down to powder. Do not substitute cumin powder, as it won't taste right.

Channa = chickpeas. Do not substitute canned for this particular recipe. You'll need to use the smallets chickpeas you can find in the stores. The Indian kabuli chana is smaller than what you'd normally get on the Island, but it's as close as you're going to get.

Wow, great answer, thank you!
I never would have guessed that's how its made! It's almost like indian cooking, and then turns into a stew.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah, she's awesome, I'm going to make more of her food.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Why does bacon grease/lard seem to brown stuff so much better when frying than oil/butter?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It doesn't really. There may be some aspects of impurity if it's home rendered lard which helps. I feel this is especially true for bacon and eggs.

Otherwise saturated fat has a higher viscosity and that will effect heat transfer but as you get hotter the viscosity differences become moot, especially compared to a 500 degree smokepoint of some non fat derived oils.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm fortunately still employed so I'm doing my best to support local restaurants. I saw one offering grill packs which sounded good as a time saver. I got the burger pack for $22 and when I got home this was it:

I mean come on...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well I mean, that's basically the same thing but man, I'd want some sort of prep. Here's my recent COVID take out experience. The wife and I ordered a DIY pretzel kit from auntie Annie's and had it delivered via DoorDash. I poo poo you not it is a Ziploc bag of flour, a Ziploc bag of yeast, Ziploc bag of baking soda, a Ziploc bag of salt, and a Ziploc bag of cinnamon sugar.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Croatoan posted:

Well I mean, that's basically the same thing but man, I'd want some sort of prep. Here's my recent COVID take out experience. The wife and I ordered a DIY pretzel kit from auntie Annie's and had it delivered via DoorDash. I poo poo you not it is a Ziploc bag of flour, a Ziploc bag of yeast, Ziploc bag of baking soda, a Ziploc bag of salt, and a Ziploc bag of cinnamon sugar.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

poo poo, i somehow feel better now about my worst-covid-takeout experience, which was just "falafel burger" turns out to actually be cold, mealy falafel blob slapped on a brioche bun with a piece of lettuce and shoved out the window alongside some sandbagged fries

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I ordered a California Burrito from a place I'd never heard of the other day and what I got was basically a Taco Bell copy-cat beef and bean burrito with a side of fries.

They even had a "Mexican Pizza" on the menu, so I'm pretty sure all their food is just Taco Bell recipes.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Shroomie posted:

I ordered a California Burrito from a place I'd never heard of the other day and what I got was basically a Taco Bell copy-cat beef and bean burrito with a side of fries.

They even had a "Mexican Pizza" on the menu, so I'm pretty sure all their food is just Taco Bell recipes.

It could have actually been Taco Bell selling their food under a rebranded name

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Time posted:

It could have actually been Taco Bell selling their food under a rebranded name

This.

Saw a few articles recently of Chuck E Cheese selling their pizza delivered under a different name (because no one was buying Chuck E Cheese) and Applebees was selling stuff on Grubhub under the name "Neighborhood Wings".

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My only bad experience was *maybe* I got some food poisoning from a well rated Indian place. It was a weird timing line up of symptoms that kept me out of work for a week because I was worried it was someting serious. Which it wasn't thankfully, but still.

Then I got take out Chinese from a place like two weeks ago, and it was fantastic.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
We only order out once a week, but we stick to local places mostly. The only disappointing stuff was when we went with Halal Guys over the local falafel place across the street, the Guys have gone down in quality. There's a competitor, Halal Boys, the next town over, that blew them out of the water.

The Fiancè made an AMAZING South India style short rib biryani, absolutely fantastic. He did slave over it for like 3 hours though. Worth itttt. Everyone should make biryani.

Pandemic pound shedding continues for me, I'm down 4lb in two weeks, hope it continues apace. Calorie counting is helpful, I'm still able to eat fairly filling meals and not be hungry most of the day. Cauliflower rice replacing regular rice with Indian food has been a godsend (except in biryani, don't do that, the biryani was a special treat I skipped lunch for)

I bought a bunch of Reese's Eggs after Easter, because they are my favorite and only come once a year. I finally made myself look at the nutrition info, and my god, there's more calories in one of those then a 4% beer. Gonna put those in cold storage for lighter times.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

We only order out once a week, but we stick to local places mostly. The only disappointing stuff was when we went with Halal Guys over the local falafel place across the street, the Guys have gone down in quality. There's a competitor, Halal Boys, the next town over, that blew them out of the water.

The Fiancè made an AMAZING South India style short rib biryani, absolutely fantastic. He did slave over it for like 3 hours though. Worth itttt. Everyone should make biryani.

Pandemic pound shedding continues for me, I'm down 4lb in two weeks, hope it continues apace. Calorie counting is helpful, I'm still able to eat fairly filling meals and not be hungry most of the day. Cauliflower rice replacing regular rice with Indian food has been a godsend (except in biryani, don't do that, the biryani was a special treat I skipped lunch for)

I bought a bunch of Reese's Eggs after Easter, because they are my favorite and only come once a year. I finally made myself look at the nutrition info, and my god, there's more calories in one of those then a 4% beer. Gonna put those in cold storage for lighter times.

I've noticed a few of the places that have opened have had quality issues, I have to wonder if its new staff or supply issues or what.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

I've noticed a few of the places that have opened have had quality issues, I have to wonder if its new staff or supply issues or what.

It’s a lot of things. It’s an entirely different business model. The transition from sit down restaurant to curbside/to go isn’t just “do what we did, but to go.” It is also lack of staff, lack of resources, lack of capital (edit: plus a political and health climate that changes from day to day, from AM to PM). Mason jars are sold out everywhere because of cocktails to go.

My position essentially doesn’t exist any more. What does a bar manager at a restaurant look like in this reality? I go from crafting thoughtful beverages tailored to individual palates, to mass producing jars of margaritas.

My driving purpose was hospitality. I am not feeling very hospitable nowadays.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bars open up full blast in Nevada tomorrow. It's going to be a good test bed for how that sort of hospitality is going to work.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Here is an interesting article on vinaigrette, and food history (particularly France-Italy exchange during the Renaissance):

https://lithub.com/did-the-italians-actually-teach-the-french-the-art-of-the-vinaigrette/

I think I have invented something, and it's good (I can't find any mentions of it anywhere). It's very simple, and quite obvious, but I am pleased with it (and by extension myself) nonetheless. I made rice flour pancakes with coconut yoghurt (as we had some that needed eating), which I then served with marinated baked tofu, spinach, and tamarind sauce. They were really good! The next time I did it I added cumin seeds and some melted butter (both gleaned from other recipes), and the last time I did it I sweated down an onion, added various spices (turmeric, coriander, garam masala etc) and then stirred in some silken tofu and spinach. Flavour-wise, sensational, but the texture was a bit wet. I should have used slightly firmer tofu, and cooked the spinach separately and squeezed out some liquid. I have not seen any recipes which use coconut yoghurt in a pancake mix, so I am claiming that as mine! (If you are wondering why I used rice flour, it's because I had a bag that I otherwise only use for dusting bread when baking and I wanted another use for it, and my son is coeliac).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
We've had pretty good experiences with places we like in our neighborhood shifting to takeout. One pub sort of place we used to to a lot has transitioned to mostly hoagies, a few of their more popular sides, and some more fussy things on Sundays, and I'm really going to be legit sad if I can't keep getting some of their sandwiches after things open up and settle down again. They have this fried eggplant and beet ragu thing now that I could eat every single day.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Maestro posted:

It’s a lot of things. It’s an entirely different business model. The transition from sit down restaurant to curbside/to go isn’t just “do what we did, but to go.” It is also lack of staff, lack of resources, lack of capital (edit: plus a political and health climate that changes from day to day, from AM to PM). Mason jars are sold out everywhere because of cocktails to go.

My position essentially doesn’t exist any more. What does a bar manager at a restaurant look like in this reality? I go from crafting thoughtful beverages tailored to individual palates, to mass producing jars of margaritas.

My driving purpose was hospitality. I am not feeling very hospitable nowadays.

Sorry, I was responding to Bucket and specifically NYC takeout/trucks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The restaurants I want to get takeout for transitioned to large order/family meals.

As much as I'd love 60 bucks of lamb emoladas I'd really love not being tempted by 8k calories more.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I really like a lot of the take out family dinners around me. They're usually really good for multiple dinners or work lunches, and the price per meal isn't too shabby for really good ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Oh yeah a lot of places in Philly have done that too. My wife and I have gotten a few great big pot pies, we're just two people but they make great leftovers.